(shouting)

I'm Reconceiving Touhou Music to My Tastes!

bullets, bombs, and girls, what more do you want? its touhou!
[AOD]

I'm Reconceiving Touhou Music to My Tastes!

Post by [AOD] »

I've just downloaded Sibelius, a music composition software and started going wild with it. Now, I'm a novice at composing music, with zero musical training whatsoever, but I've started playing around with it and it's pretty fun.

Anyway, I don't really care for the music of the Touhou games. I find them listenable at best, but usually faintly annoying (that blaring trumpet grates on my nerves). So, in that light, I've started composing music that I think better suits my tastes. (I'm really into Philip Glass and the minimalists, actually). After all, if ZUN can do it, so can I, right??

This is my first try:

This is my second try, I think I've learned some things.

@~[AOD]
Officially voted MOD-IN-ABSENTIA by Talkhaus election 2014.
Punisher

Re: I'm Reconceiving Touhou Music to My Tastes!

Post by Punisher »

Neat. Now do Border of Life. o.o
Cyrotex

Post by Cyrotex »

I don't find the original trumpets much good either.

Are you using Sibelius in the pure classical way,
http://www.youtube.com/user/KakashiMr (Merlin Playlist of Poltergeist Mansion)

Or trying to blend it with electronica?
http://www.youtube.com/user/Moomar2
I'm here to spread Touhou. Argue, and you will be Master Spark'd.=w=
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

I just got it so I haven't really experimented with it much. Also, even if I did, I'd probably go purely classical, since I don't particularly like electronica.

By the way, these won't be renditions of the original themes. I have basically zero contact with the outside fandom, hardly know a word of the canon, and have hardly played any of the games. (Fact: I've only ever finished Imperishable Night on easy, using 3 continues). And, really, the incredible fan-hype bothers and disturbs me.

So, these are purely my impressions, formed out of more or less a total vacuum.

@~[AOD]
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

What I don't get is why you composed your own original pieces and slapped Touhou names on them.
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

Because they were inspired by the characters!

!~[AOD]
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Uuhuhu.. These songs are... it's not that they're bad, they're just overcrowded and have nothing to do with Touhou.. But oh well, it's not bad for a first few songs, imo.
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

It's been a while!

Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

While it wasn't bad, it didn't feel exactly like a Touhou remix, much less like a remix of Utsuho's theme. Nuclear Fusion is a theme that quickly builds up and has a fast-paced and pretty, well, loud climax. When I listened to your remix I started feeling some form of build up as well, but it never went past that. I kind of expected it to burst out into the "main part" of Utsuho's theme after a few measures, which it sadly didn't.
However I must say I really liked the end. It could totally work as a contrast to something quicker and louder, but the way the whole song kind of felt "flat" like that, it didn't seem like much of an ending to me because you never got past the build up.
Oh, and the name cracked me up too :P
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

Like I said earlier, I never ever intended to do a remix. It was from the very beginning always intended to be a wholly alternate conception.

@~[AOD]
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

The mix of mystery and melancholy that I feel in that piece is like the most anti-Touhouish feeling ever but I don't really care since you justified it as your reconception and stuff :p

What does feel strange though is that the whole thing seems to be a giant accompaniment waiting for a melody to be put ontop!
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

Man, mystery and melancholy is totally the way I see Touhou.

What I tried to capture in this piece was a feeling of building tension and a deep darkness. I feel that this most accurately characterizes Utsuho. She's literally a black raven formed out of a nuclear fire, the incarnation of destructive potential energy. So I tried to give the sensation of one's fear rising as one approaches the epicenter of a radioactive crater, with the pizzicato strings being the clicking of a rising Geiger counter. The dissonance and tension from the multiple harmonics overlapping is meant to represent the increasing threat of death from radiation sickness, and the sudden breaks are meant to illustrate flashes of deadly gamma radiation.

!~[AOD]
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

This is quite the bump but Angel of Chernobyl sounds like E1M5 from Doom
(your music is pretty good btw)
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR