(shouting)

Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

bullets, bombs, and girls, what more do you want? its touhou!
atruong18

Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

Post by atruong18 »

of course everyone has their share of successes and failures (probably many) in these danmaku hell.

Share some stories about you playing any touhou games, either the traditional danmaku or any other fangames.

To start it off.
Played EoSD on normal, trying to do a 1CC game, but always have trouble in patchouli with panicking and lose most of my lives there. So had to use a continue. and sakuya is just yea.
Phaiyte

Re: Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

Post by Phaiyte »

Beat 5's Lunatic first try no deaths or bombs.
Beat 7's Lunatic first try 1 bomb, 5 deaths total.
Beat 8's Extra Stage with over 22k graze, no deaths, 2 bombs.
Kiniko says: Did you just put Medicine in a top 5 touhou characters list?
Really? Medicine?
Your now one of the three people who likes medicine :D
Phaiyte says: Fuck yeah, I like being awesome.
FRK

Post by FRK »

TH8: IN
Playing Reimu and Yukari on Easy.
I got to the 4th stage. I used like 2 lives already, but I had five left. Then Marisa shows up, eats several of my continues (note that when you use a continue timer goes 30 minutes up and when it reaches 6AM game is over). Finally I beat her with one life left, and it's 5:30AM. After beating the stage timer goes up... and the game is over.
Gobolt

Post by Gobolt »

-PCB, Easy
Didn't die at all in stages 1-3, only lost like... one or two lives in stages 4-5. Was doing pretty well in stage 6! Then Yuyuko's last spellcard eats my remaining lives and I hafta use a continue. >_>

Also!

-PCB, Lunatic
I actually just managed to beat mid-boss!Chen before losing my last life! (note: didn't continue a single time) This is a victory in my books, considering it was my first try on anything above Easy.
Gobolt

Post by Gobolt »

onoes doublepost?!

-PCB, Easy, Practicing stage 6
Aced most of Yuyuko's stuffs. Then the second-last spellcard kills me when I would've had to shoot like three more bullets at Yuyuko to capture. Then later on, it tells me that I can't save a replay when Slow Mode is turned on. Considering that thus far I'd been playing with it most definitely turned off, this perplexed me, and I went to see. Lo and behold, it was indeed on. I blame it on one of those random rampages the game does whenever I accidentally activate some other tab instead'a PCB when it's loading up and that messes the controls rather hardcore, and often goes to an option-altering rampage. And now my hands are too twitchy to try again.
So kind of a combination of success and failure.
Phaiyte

Post by Phaiyte »

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Really? Medicine?
chrishy

Post by chrishy »

I died on Easy on IN with Marisa.

hahahahahahahahahahahah
ChrisIsCornflake on YouTube.
First Founder of the talkhaus IRC, [url=irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus]irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus[/url]. (Info)
Sharkenaa

Re: Touhou Danmaku Hell - Painful (Literally) Failure Storie

Post by Sharkenaa »

I tried SWR for the first time. It was all random button-smashing cause I haven't played fighting games almost at all... That's not an excuse is it? No. It's not.

I had to stop because my right ring finger started to hurt from all that dashing forward...

I couldn't even beat a single computer player on normal >.>

But oh man, was it fun! I gotta work my controls (and reflexes) a little.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

SWR isn't a normal fighter at all. Once you learn that dashing (Via double-tap, or flight/airdashes via "D") allows you to graze projectiles, it feels far more doable.

Also. I feel it necessary to self-promote via my video of the Touhou 2 remake's final stage, on "Hard" (Actually Lunatic-equivalent), and I'm uploading my Extra run.
So I will.
HI MIMA
Sharkenaa

Post by Sharkenaa »

Somehow I almost beat Youmu with Suika on Lunatic in SWR (The first round >.>). Might not sound so awesome to anyone else, but seeing as I haven't beaten anyone even on Normal mode, it was pretty rad to see the enemy's health bar at ~15%. I utterly failed on the second round, though, almost dealing no damage at all....

Still, I'm getting the hang of the game!
StarkMaximum

Post by StarkMaximum »

I got to the final stage of Phantasmagoria of Flower View using Youmu on Hard.

This is the only Touhou game where I've gotten so far.

yay
raocow wrote:I'M SO GOD DAMN WACKY
Phaiyte

Post by Phaiyte »

Nothing but perfects all the way through swr lunatic using Yuyuko.
Really? Medicine?
Gobolt

Post by Gobolt »

First I completely ace stage 4 in PCB. Seriously, some of the dodges I made were just nuts.

... Then stage 5, I just basically headbutt bullets during Youmu's bullet time attacks, during the actual bullet time even. Whoo.
nickcrapy7

Post by nickcrapy7 »

today I was finally able to beat EOSD, it was quite a thing, after trying a lot of times and losing stupid lives (even to cirno) I was able to do it. I feel exhausted but victorious
A broken record running low on luck.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Stage 4 of Perfect Cherry Blossom evidently does not like me. I went into that place with six extra lives, and lost them all without even getting though the boss...

...though I finally managed to beat that game earlier today. (On easy mode, but still...) Now I just need to practice a bit more, so that I can do it without any continues (which will probably take a while, given that I had one life left on my last continue when I did beat it).
Kraze422

Post by Kraze422 »

Nick I envy you.
I JUST got to stage 6, EoSD, on normal mode for the second time.
And Lost, when she only had like 1 1/2 health bars left =/
I'll attempt again in a few hours, hopefully I'll beat that lil vamp yet.
What?

Oh...
Phaiyte

Post by Phaiyte »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: (which will probably take a while, given that I had one life left on my last continue when I did beat it).
Just do like me and play 8's extra stage for a month straight
and getting an apparently obscenely ridiculous score after all that time memorizing shit.
hahahahahhahahahahaha
Really? Medicine?
nickcrapy7

Post by nickcrapy7 »

Kraze422 wrote:Nick I envy you.
I JUST got to stage 6, EoSD, on normal mode for the second time.
And Lost, when she only had like 1 1/2 health bars left =/
I'll attempt again in a few hours, hopefully I'll beat that lil vamp yet.
Are you trying without continues?, i wish i could give you any advice but my strategy with remilia is basically to get there with a lot of bombs and pray they are enough.
A broken record running low on luck.
LunarMagicMan

Post by LunarMagicMan »

This happened just minutes ago...

I'm a beginner Touhou player so I play on easy. In Touhou 12 stage 5 always gives me trouble. I can make it to Captain but with both lives gone. So I played a run through of the game and got to stage 5 without a single gameover, 4 lives, and a bomb. I die once before Nazrin and once during. I get through further and almost at the boss. During the last wave of enemies...

my computer shuts down....

I finnaly do good enough to have a chance at the boss and my computer just shuts down... Why... :(
“Never lose focus. Focus, focus, focus.You are a zebra and you are trying to win a marathon, okay? That’s how much focus you’re having right now. You are The Focus of Zebra and The Zebra of Focus. You’re like freakin’ both. You have a split personality, you can do it. Well, that’s not true. But I can pretend! I have the power of imagination! I am, after all, The Marathon Zebra.” - raocow

raocow motivator 2000... too bad we skipped 1999 numbers.
Sharkenaa

Re: Touhou Danmaku Hell - Failure Stories #156

Post by Sharkenaa »

I was doing better than I had done in a couple weeks (had some sorta break from playing the games so I was getting rusty) in EoSD, got to China without using any bombs or losing any lives. Then she goes and drains me out of all six lives I had gathered up till then. I mean, she isn't even difficult. I couldn't literally believe my eyes when I had already defeated her, but there were still few projectiles on the screen, and OF COURSE I go and walk straight into the last one and lost my second last life. Got to fourth stage and lost before Koakuma. WAY before. And I didn't feel like continuing.

It was on normal mode, btw.
TurboPup

Post by TurboPup »

My biggest triumph so far is 1CCing Imperishible Night on normal. I started with 7 lives, but I would have won with 4. Was my first try after not playing any Touhou for about a week or so too.

I think I had to try as many as 80-100 tries overall at level 6 in Mountain of Faith, though. I eventually managed to beat it off of a continue, since I was too impatient to try and get to the stage with more than 3 lives. XD Though I may well have spent more time trying it repeatedly than it would have taken to improve the earlier stages enough.
"You are running on bells and whistles right now."
- Husky
Blazing Star

Post by Blazing Star »

Game: Phantasmagoria of Flower View
Difficulty: Normal
Extra info: Heavy-duty slowdown was used(on another note, I always use heavy-duty slowdown when playing any of the shmup Touhou games. Personal preference).
(By the way, this is a failure story)
At first, everything went nicely, didn't lose any lives or any of that. Then I finally get to Sikieiki and after a protracted match (we were both at like, 1 orb left, and my attention had dropped since, with the slowdown, it had gone like 30 minutes already). Just when I then was ready to attempt to finally end it, guess what happens. Sikieiki spawns a line of vortexes that horizontally covers the entire middle of the screen, a lot of bullets come toward me, get turned to annoying-to-predict-hitboxes-of carrot bullets (seriously, that's what they look like to me), and I get semi-walled in. It had happened several times already, and I was pretty confident that I wasn't gonna lose. In comes Lily White, bullet barrage and everything. I manage to get through it and, being the in-this-case-overconfident guy that I am, I go about positioning my character like, right below her so I can just pound her in as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, my moist middle finger decided to take that moment to slip a bit, thus making me crash right into Lily White.
Moral of this failure story: ...I don't know...maybe "don't play PoFV for over 30 minutes in a sweat-inducing enviroment uninterrupted, thus making your own finger(s) screw you over"?

((Wow, that got a lot longer than I had anticipated it would))
Gobolt

Post by Gobolt »

This is kind of between success and failure, but...

I finally figured out how to read Resurrection Butterfly's red butterflies right, consistently. That took me way too long.
Then I somehow managed to get nailed by the blue butterflies twice in a freaking row. What the hell, seriously.
Jcranjel

Post by Jcranjel »

Everytime I play Touhou on normal, it's a Failure Story haha. I <3 Easy.

Today I recorded a video of me playing extra mode of Imperishable Night. I have never, EVER made it to Mokou before, so this really surprised me lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDz8vMpM6fs

Of course, I died on her very first spell card... BUT STILL! There is hope yet!
Madacaek

Post by Madacaek »

If it's any consolation, IN extra is the easiest extra by virtue of spell practice existing.