(shouting)

Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

bullets, bombs, and girls, what more do you want? its touhou!
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Re: Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

Post by Octagon »

Some weeks ago, I 1cc'd Imperishable Night on Easy. Easy Mode is easy, but still, it was fun.
A while ago I unexpectedly beat EoSD on Normal. It was the first time I ever reached Remilia, and it was really close (I finished with no continues, lives or bombs left), but it felt incredibly awesome.
I 1cc'd MoF's Easy Mode during the last week. I've been practicing to do the same on Normal, but I'm prone to stupid mistakes against Nitori and in the fourth stage - still, I'm getting used to normal mode and feeling a lot more at ease.
Today I beat PCB on Normal twice. I had to use 3 and then 2 continues, but it was the second and third time I ever played Perfect Cherry Blossom's normal difficulty at all, so it's okay, I guess.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I love PCB, but I have no sense of timing for effective bomb use. Either I'll bomb when I can easily have escaped something, or else I'll forget that I have bombs until after I've died a couple times. Or I'll be on Foggy London Dolls.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
freelop

Post by freelop »

I've been playing "Mystic Square" a bit recently, some of the attacks Shinki has are just silly and the long fat yellow and blue projectiles are the worst things to dodge.
RikunFrances
Mentally Ill
Pronouns: kunself/you

Post by RikunFrances »

Been playing more touhou lately since I've nothing better to do, and mastering the art of PCB. Managed to beat Normal with 2 continues. : D It's a success for me. Lost all lives both times at...Youmu.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Practice Mode is my friend ^^

I've still been using timeouts as a gauge as to whether or not I can catch a card normally - I know about where in the song I should be when playing normally, so once I pass that point I'm doing well enough.
Paperkoopa

Post by Paperkoopa »

I'm so terrible at video games...
I've tried Imperishable Night on easy with Reimu, and I can barely make it past level 3.
Tried a lot of things in spell card practice, but I mostly die on the litte enemies.
I feel so pathetic...
LordAlexander

Post by LordAlexander »

freelop wrote:I've been playing "Mystic Square" a bit recently, some of the attacks Shinki has are just silly and the long fat yellow and blue projectiles are the worst things to dodge.
Yeah, them cheeto lasers... 2cc'd Mystic Square a few days ago, as Mima. Them lasers and Devil's Recitation gave me the most trouble. Red bullets on a flashing red screen almost gave me a seizure.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I'm actually better (for given values of 'better') at the PC98 Touhous than at the Windows ones. While I"m on the subject, I booted up Highly Responsive to Prayers the other day and got my butt handed to me. Turns out I'd forgotten to check the difficulty.
CRBWildcat

Post by CRBWildcat »

Something really dumb happened to me not long after I started making some serious attempts at EoSD.

I was in the middle of the fight against Cirno, and at one point I freaked out and used a bomb. Except for one frozen bullet, the screen was cleared. Just one dinky little bullet, just sitting there and doing nothing for the moment. It was halfway across the screen from Reimu, so I shouldn't have had any problems dodging it, right?

Well, instead of just letting bygones be bygones, I took the stupid way out and had Reimu fly diagonally right into it. :x Ugh...
'Tis a trifle, if ever was.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Randomly play Flandre, first time I play her in almost a year.

Perfect.

This is definitely the easiest extra!
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

I still reckon Yukari is easier, but maybe that's resources talking a bit more than gameplay.

Plus EoSD's stage portion remains one of the hardest in the Windows games.

Flandre is nice and easy now though, I will agree on that. Still very fun! I really love that fight.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

Yay, I just captured Scarlet Meister on Lunatic for the first time ever!
CRBWildcat

Post by CRBWildcat »

RobinLSL wrote:Randomly play Flandre, first time I play her in almost a year.

Perfect.

This is definitely the easiest extra!
Wish I could say the same. Her second card's giving me fits; I know how to dodge them, but thus far my reflexes and timing haven't been up to the task.
RobinLSL

Post by RobinLSL »

You're supposed to learn a route through the second card by heart, it's 100% the same everytime!
CRBWildcat

Post by CRBWildcat »

My heart might know it. The rest of me doesn't. Either that, or my computer hates shrine maidens and witches. It's kinda hard for me to tell at times. :lol:
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Talking about Flandre: somehow, even after beating EVERY SINGLE EXTRA BOSS EXCEPT MAMIZOU I STILL cannot beat Flandre. Every single time I get to her something happens. This last time, I captured everything up to Maze of Love, then lost to that in the last second. Then, while I'm playing, my sister enters the room and all of my concentration just FLIES out of the window.

And it's like that every single time. Dangit, Flandre.
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Finally got to Eirin on Imperishable Night for the first time. Missed a 1cc by one life.

EDIT: Booyah, 1cc'd with my first time on FinalB. Too bad it was on easy ^^;
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Imperishable Night on easy isn't at all challenging for me. I think I passed normal on my very first try with one continue. It might have to do with played EoSD a lot before that, which is still hard for me.
CRBWildcat

Post by CRBWildcat »

A while back, I made it my goal to unlock as many of IN's Last Words as I could (I figure I have at least half of them by now). Several are out of my reach, and one that figuratively should be within my grasp---by capturing all of the Normal-level cards---has infuriated me numerous times, and for one good reason:

Reisen. I don't get why people say she's one of the easier Level 5 bosses in the series (but then again I don't see why people find PCB's Prismriver Sisters difficult, so that says something about my standards :lol: ). I can unlock her Final Spell on Hard (and have accomplished it twice), but for the life of me I just can't get it on Normal.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

The trick with Reisen is to think of her more like Youmu than like any other boss - you can't be killed when she's using her illusion eyes thingamabob (at least, not on easy or normal. Haven't gotten that far on higher difficulties yet, but I'd think it's true still), so use that to position yourself.

Beyond that, just practice.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Reisen is one of the easier stage 5 bosses because only one attack that she has is especially dangerous. She has a couple of... iffy attacks (here's looking at you Illusion Seeker), but really 2 out of 7 attacks being iffy is much better than practically every other Stage 5 boss out there. And even the iffy ones are regularly capturable.. compare to Sakuya (5/6 iffy attacks), Youmu (I'd say at least 4/7 iffy attacks on the higher difficulties), Orin (5/7 very hard attacks) and Shou (like everything is balls-to-the-wall hard)...

To me, only Sanae is easier, and even then Sanae on a bad day can mess you up. Even Futo is slightly harder, as she has 2 nearly impossible attacks (yeah ok I just suck at the second non-spell, but the first spell is really annoyingly hard) and one that is still really sketchy if you have bad luck. Reisen focuses so much on her gimmick that most of her attacks are pretty toothless in the end. Especially compared to Keine. Her non-spells can look frightening, but two of them have aimed properties, so use that to your advantage (killing familiars always helps too).

raekuul, I'm not sure that I completely agree with the comparisons to Youmu, simply because in bullet times you can still be killed. In Reisen's Illusion Time you cannot, as you correctly state. I personally think she is closer to Sakuya, since Sakuya used her time manipulation to randomly alter the direction of her shots, something Youmu did not use Bullet Time for.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

To the best of my knowledge (as I suck terribly at EoSD)

Sakuya's Time Stop: No moving, no dodging. Bullets don't move.
Youmu's Bullet Time: Everything is slower. Bullets hurt but bullet paths are easier to spot
Reisen's Illusion Time: Bullets do not hurt. Normal moving speed.

Reisen is easier than Youmu, who is in turn probably easier than Sakuya.
CRBWildcat

Post by CRBWildcat »

raekuul wrote:The trick with Reisen is to think of her more like Youmu than like any other boss - you can't be killed when she's using her illusion eyes thingamabob (at least, not on easy or normal. Haven't gotten that far on higher difficulties yet, but I'd think it's true still), so use that to position yourself.

Beyond that, just practice.
Well, I guess I'll try that sometime, then... :| I've lost track of how many times I've practiced those cards... Visionary Tuning and Idling Wave keep irritating me something fierce.

Now that I think about it, I think the reason I've been able to get the Final Spell on Hard and not Normal is because of the game's partner system (Yukari, Alice and such). I'm simply Focusing to dodge more often on the higher difficulties, and am in a better position to fill up the Time meter.
Reisen focuses so much on her gimmick that most of her attacks are pretty toothless in the end. Especially compared to Keine. Her non-spells can look frightening, but two of them have aimed properties, so use that to your advantage (killing familiars always helps too).
Speaking of Keine, I can safely say that she's the entire reason I haven't beaten IN's Extra Stage yet. If I can just get past her third card without wasting my resources, I have a pretty good shot.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Keine's first and third cards are both streaming, you just have to know where to start it. People have different idea regarding this; I personally sit around the position of the inside vertical needles on the ledt (you know how there's two sets of I think four needles on either side that just go straight down the screen?) and stream right each wave. It's not that hard when you understand it, however it does take some patience. Spell Practice up that card and it should be doable.
CRBWildcat

Post by CRBWildcat »

Better than what I was doing before, I guess (just lingering in the center, then moving right or up as needed). Next time I play, I'll give it some tries and see how it goes. Thanks.