(shouting)

Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

bullets, bombs, and girls, what more do you want? its touhou!
RivalNightmare

Re: Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

Post by RivalNightmare »

Had my birthday on the 3rd, game was late so arrived this Monday. (This is Touhou 8: Imperishable Night, yes I actually bought because fuck downloading) So I played the Sakuya team on easy and it all went fairly well... until I had to fight Reimu. It was like... impossible for any beginner to beat, used up 3 continues and got to stage 5 and got my ass raped to some... lunatic bunny.

I haven't had any successes so far. xD
Paperkoopa

Post by Paperkoopa »

RivalNightmare wrote:I haven't had any successes so far. xD
Neither did I. I played around with every single team on easy and were never even close to beat it. Reimu/Marisa are also waaay harder than any bosses before.
Octagon
zentraidon
Pronouns: she

Post by Octagon »

Try using Reimu/Yukari. Marisa is most definitely worse to fight than Reimu, but Yukari's just ridiculously good with her needle shot and lock-on option combined, and the small hitbox and long deathbomb interval make the game a lot easier. Sakuya and Remilia may be cool, but Sakuya's shot just sucks ass and Remilia's interesting, but impractical.
Image WHAT DOES THE P STAND FOR
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Sakuya/Remilia is a team that takes some major getting used to.

My first 1cc was actually with Marisa/Alice. Reimu uses a lot of familiars for some of her spellcards, but Alice can ignore them mostly safely. If you're having trouble with when she goes all hyperspeed borderhax on you, just think of it as a streaming segment.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Yeah, Remilia is by no means impractical, but it definitely is more advanced than most shot types. It is the most powerful shot in the game when used correctly, and can more comfortably hit both sides of the screen than Yukari and Ran (since Ran is proximity-triggered). It's easy to reposition the options by untapping focus for a split second, so you can maintain proper power. Remilia's focused speed is usually sufficient to adequately move around the map enough to ensure that you don't have to let go of focus too often if you want to keep the familiars at the other side.

That speed though is the real problem when it comes to dodging - the "impracticality" of the shot type entirely stems from the fact that Sakuya is too slow compared to Remi. I reckon with practice it should still be possible to overcome (and that team is still my best pairing), but it will take practice compared to the most more beginner-friendly Border team (I personally think they make Lunatic HARDER though).
Paperkoopa

Post by Paperkoopa »

Finally! I've beaten Imperishable Night on Easy with Team Reimu. I got the good ending 1# in the Final B level. Darn, that last boss was confusing...
Next up are the higher difficulty levels. Also I've found me some favourite characters already :3
Octagon
zentraidon

Post by Octagon »

I could never get accustomed to Sakuya's low attack power and the awkward speed combination... Though strangely enough, on the other hand, I'm a fan of Youmu/Yuyuko.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Yuyuko is stronger than one thinks. I'm not at all good with that shot type, but I can see the appeal.

In random news, I just captured Scarlet Gensokyo Lunatic for the first time as far as I can remember. Why can't you save Practice replays in EoSD!
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Apologies for the double post, but I managed to no-focus TD Extra last night, meaning I have now no-focused every Extra! Not tha great a run really, stupid deaths everywhere and I moved way too fast during the eighth spell, but it's a clear! I might upload it later, we'll see.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I've been playing SA a bit more than I had in the past. I think Marisa-B Green is my favorite shot type.

EDIT: Got a 1CC yesterday with Marisa-C. Now to practice on Marisa-B. It just sucks that my computer plays the game at just above half speed, since I know I won't be able to do it the way I did at full speed.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Played a touhou fangame called Marine Benefit, and it's has a lot of danmaku Zun hasn't thought up. The 5th stage boss took so many cheap shots.
gamercal

Post by gamercal »

Oh man I just had the most awesome PCB Stage 4 practice run. One bomb for the entire stage. Spent on Lyrica's first non-spell because it's an absolute menace (I use MarisaA so yeah). For Lunatic on a stage that long that's really great.

Best part of it all? It was done whilst I was recording live. Using that as an excuse to do an update video because I don't have my desktop right now, so I can't do my usual LP games.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqPlKtH9mhg <<< This

Took me around 50 Trys to beat it. :S
The main Problems are really for shure Sakuya and Reimu. But my worst one was the really easy Yuuka >.<
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Keep going and you can unlock all characters for all modes! Assuming you haven't done that yet.

I found extra with Aya really fun.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

ano0maly wrote:Keep going and you can unlock all characters for all modes! Assuming you haven't done that yet.

I found extra with Aya really fun.
Extra with Eiki isn´t that hard. I´m just making dumb Moves everytime...
100% Approved!
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eiwx5Ojuh8g after half the Trys and with 1,5 week-break i now beaten it with Eiki too.

It was more fun with Her instead of Komachi. Maxed out the Lifes at Stage 7 xD
Just at the last 2 Episodes is it getting 2 Dumb moves...
100% Approved!
Octagon
zentraidon

Post by Octagon »

Just started playing Touhou again... Mountain of Faith is really not that hard. I made a few really stupid mistakes like choosing the wrong moment to go above the PoC and getting wriggle kicked by a wannabe death fairy, but considering that I didn't play for like half a year, my run went well. Stage 4 was trainwreck-y as usual, but I got myself up from zero lives again...
I somehow captured Illusionary Dominance, which was actually bad for my performance, I guess... the resulting nigh-orgasmic sensation turned my body into mush, but I still managed to reach Kanako (and died to her rice gruel something spellcard with 0 power after bombspamming her nonspells and losing my last life due to a stupid mistake).

Here's the replay....
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

I got pretty close to 1CCing GFW on easy difficulty but then I lost

oh wait that was every single time I played that one

hahahahahaooohieeee
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I had a ridiculous fail yesterday, but to explain it I need to explain a couple other things.

I recently (back in February) picked up a windows 8 machine, which is much much better than my old 8 year old XP. Which means I can run all the Touhous at the proper speed. Which means that everything after PoFV is harder for me than it was before... only not since I've been playing those so much that I'm familiar with the bullet patterns now.

So I was playing Mountain of Faith using MarisaC (why do people hate MarisaC? She's awesome), and had a perfect first stage, was on target to completely storm the first boss... up until Sticky Keys kicked in. I turned off Sticky Keys and had to completely restart the program since I was stuck moving left.

When I came back in, it was a trainwreck. Exact same startup settings, completely different results. Didn't even get past the midboss.
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

raekuul wrote: So I was playing Mountain of Faith using MarisaC (why do people hate MarisaC? She's awesome), and had a perfect first stage, was on target to completely storm the first boss... up until Sticky Keys kicked in. I turned off Sticky Keys and had to completely restart the program since I was stuck moving left.
Lunatic-Difficulty?

On my side. I am bit to busy to try Difficulties beyond Normal (except PoFV) cause i find no real free time for that xD
But i like MarisaA in MoF
100% Approved!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

Picochilla wrote:
raekuul wrote: So I was playing Mountain of Faith using MarisaC (why do people hate MarisaC? She's awesome), and had a perfect first stage, was on target to completely storm the first boss... up until Sticky Keys kicked in. I turned off Sticky Keys and had to completely restart the program since I was stuck moving left.
Lunatic-Difficulty?
I wish I was that good. The only Touhou I play regularly on Lunatic is Mystic Square, and that's simply because I can't be bothered to change the difficulty.
CRBWildcat

Post by CRBWildcat »

I recently took a step closer to the abyss of insanity by 1-CCing Imperishable Night on Hard Mode (Reimu Solo), the first time I've done that in the not-quite 2 years since I started playing the games. Sure, it was a difficult challenge with little reward, caused me a great deal of stress and what not, but hey; at least it unlocked another Last Word. :mrgreen:

And since the last time I posted in this thread, I've made some progress in the game's Extra Stage; Keine's 1st card doesn't give me nearly as much trouble as it used to, and I found the trick to surviving Mokou's 5th card. Her 2nd and 8th cards ('Flying Phoenix' and 'Fujiyama Volcano', respectively) are my next real obstacles.
'Tis a trifle, if ever was.
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

So on my laptop I only have the PC-98 games, but I really enjoy them. In fact, I got to the semifinal in Diminishing Dream (not sure what difficulty level, so take it with a grain of salt) just now. I think I know where Marisa copped the Earth Light Ray from.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

raekuul wrote:So on my laptop I only have the PC-98 games, but I really enjoy them. In fact, I got to the semifinal in Diminishing Dream (not sure what difficulty level, so take it with a grain of salt) just now. I think I know where Marisa copped the Earth Light Ray from.
Well, she's had that for a while (even normal Marisa uses that in Dim. Dream), but yeah, Chiyuri, oh boy... she's probably one of the characters I hate fighting the most in that game because of that EX attack.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

I had her down to half a heart before I petered out. If I can get past Reimu without losing a life I'll be in better shape.