(shouting)

Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

bullets, bombs, and girls, what more do you want? its touhou!
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Touhou Danmaku Hell - Success and Failure Stories

Post by raekuul »

Made it to the final boss in Diminishing Dream on normal; got an extend out of Chiyuri (which made up for her killing me), not that it helped. Marisa in Round 4 was the first to hit me, Reimu in Round 7 was the first to kill me.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Picochilla
The eternal Cuddles

Post by Picochilla »

Can i call me now Lunatic Shooter?

I know, Medicine isn´t that honorful but it´s still something.
100% Approved!
Patooties are Talkhaus' best thing!
So... I just put in my Youtube-Channel
Zatsupachi
Queen of Flaming Mechanical Bees

Post by Zatsupachi »

I almost 1cc'd 7 on Normal. Then here comes Yuyuko's Final Attack.

Pretty much can 1cc 8-- when I'm really in the mood for Danmaku-- and not play dumb.
Marisa/Reimu will practically be the hardest boss battle(looking especially at you, Reimu).
Reisen is basically a filter to see if you didn't suck earlier-- overall victory over her is just good placement. Kaguya is definitely easier in my opinion-- sole reason; slower patterns.
The [Death] of Jokes.
Youtube: dracmeister
Moddb: precision_bomber

Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

Managed to get to final boss on IN (extra mode)
Thought I had defeated her, moved upwards to collect power

REINCARNATION
I then proceeded to hit her, and lose my last life.
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

First time tried out Ten Desires. Is it just me or is this game not nearly as engaging as what you'd expect from these games? I've been playing them in chronological order, and this is the first time that for alot of it, I sit there not being challenged by what's coming at me at all. There really isn't much here to figure out, and I pretty much got through it on my first try. And I really don't think it's because I got better at the game (because others prove I didn't).
Last edited by Saturn Moriya 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

So, um, I watched my pal playing a Touhou game (dont ask me which one, I dont know) and he got to Flandre Scarlet's stage. Then he had let me play the stage. Failure, as always. The music was pretty good though, I think I heard it in some Touhou-styled MAGL X level.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Fluffi-dono wrote:So, um, I watched my pal playing a Touhou game (dont ask me which one, I dont know) and he got to Flandre Scarlet's stage. Then he had let me play the stage. Failure, as always. The music was pretty good though, I think I heard it in some Touhou-styled MAGL X level.
The game is Touhou Koumakyou ~ the Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. It's the sixth game in the series, and the first on Windows (1~5 were on a Japanese PC called the NEC PC98).

Flandre's stage is the extra stage (unlocked by beating the game without using continues in Normal, Hard or Lunatic). Her theme is "U.N. Owen was Her?" and yeah, the stupid hard Scarlet Devil Mansion level and Isocitration's level both used it (Isocitration's was all weird and distorted though).

The extra stages are incredibly difficult compared to the normal game, since they're supposed to be harder than Lunatic. I think Flandre is also one of the harder Windows extra bosses. I think the easiest is Nue (from Touhou Shinreibyou ~ Undefined Fantastic Object, the twelfth game)

If you want to start playing Touhou, try Imperishable Night, it's the easiest. Remember to use focus (hold shift)!

Don't worry, compared to other danmaku shooters, Touhou is pretty easy.
The bullets are slower and focus (which slows your character down) allows to make more precise movements.

Focus also shows this weird red and white ball, that's your character's hitbox. If you don't know what a hitbox is, well, if something hits it, you're dead.

A staple of danmaku shmups is that the hitbox is always smaller than the character sprite (you're not gonna cover the screen with all those bullets and then give your character a huge hitbox, now are ya?).

However, focus only started displaying the hitbox starting with Perfect Cherry Blossom. From Story of Eastern Wonderland (TH 2) to EoSD, the hitbox was invisible.

TH 1, Touhou Reiiden ~ the Highly Responsive to Prayers, was a weird breakout clone instead of a shmup.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Maybe I'll give em a try. Thanks for all the info.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
sonicspin
wishes
Banned
First name: t
Pronouns: whatever

Post by sonicspin »

Extra Stages aren't harder than lunatic, but they do require skills not used in the normal game (everything is memorization, patience (THE STAGE IS LONG AND THE BOSS IS LONGER)) Normal game is a mix between reaction and memorization, a gimmick boss at 5, and a spammy final boss
d̀͢͏̷͢ȩ̢͡͞͠-̸̢͟҉g̶̡͟͞҉e͞͏͞͞͠n͢҉e̸̛͠͞r͟á̡͠͡ţ̛́͜i̧̛o̵̢ń̴͠͝͝
dA
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

KobaBeach wrote: However, focus only started displaying the hitbox starting with Perfect Cherry Blossom. From Story of Eastern Wonderland (TH 2) to EoSD, the hitbox was invisible.
Well you could kinda know where the hitbox was if you looked at Reimu & Marisa's hair, Mima's coat and Yuuka's...uhmm...ye.
If you want to play retro era games, Lotus Land Story is the easiest, Mystic Square is the best and Story of Eastern Wonderland will kick you right in the balls until they make their way out of your mouth. Phantasmagoria of Dimensional Dream is pretty fun to play once you understand how everything works. Highly Responsive to Prayers isn't worth playing but Mima's in it so it's not absolutely terrible.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Saturn Moriya

Post by Saturn Moriya »

Ahw man Great Fairy Wars is fantastic though! They basically skipped the first three stages of your typical Touhou game, and made multiple late-game paths. Everything is a bit more manic compared to standard Touhou as well. Gonna be enjoying this thing for a while. Did a few tries and I'm close to 1cc-ing the first route.

Your blood their blood serves the same!!
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Saturn Moriya wrote:First time tried out Ten Desires. Is it just me or is this game not nearly as engaging as what you'd expect from these games? I've been playing them in chronological order, and this is the first time that for alot of it, I sit there not being challenged by what's coming at me at all. There really isn't much here to figure out, and I pretty much got through it on my first try. And I really don't think it's because I got better at the game (because others prove I didn't).
I know I'm late responding to this, but it's not just you. TD is my least favorite Touhou game by far- on top of the way it's so much less challenging than the others, so few of the patterns look interesting or have any elements that let you get involved in the dodging.

I think the game is just tailored too heavily around the notion of resources that sit at the top of the screen, because if you don't go for any resources then there are only two or three times the stage portions ever pose any sort of threat. Even if the bosses were harder than usual, TD would still be pretty mild, but the bosses are easier than usual for some reason. It just... doesn't ask anything of the players this time.
I don't really get it but okay
cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Post by cats-on-ice »

So I have a short story of success, delusion, and failure that with make you cry

SA, Reimu A, lunatic.
Okuu's last spell card
Panicking but surviving
Last life
I finish her off and slow motion explosion animation starts
I get clipped by a bullet while she's exploding
Game Over
Image<--- I h8 u horikawa
Leylite

Post by Leylite »

Sorry about that. Slow motion plus suction effects really make that last second painful. I always try to finish her off when the player character isn't in-between two of the white bullets, but it's still tough.