(shouting)

SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

Post by Sebby19 »

Link can store 1 key and 9 bombs though!

You should read the manual raocow, it's all there.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Bertrudor

Post by Bertrudor »

You never answered the question! Is it edible? I ... must ... know >_<

Never mind. I'll eat it anyway...

I'm glad to see a few deaths in the castle. But since Invasion 2 is sort of the introductory episode of Mario X, I'm not expecting raocow to have much trouble with its difficulty. I think it should be a good change of pace from SDM2 and other recent hacks.

Also: 6, 5, 3, 7 :P
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

Haha, it figures you'd go back to hear about Hugo (with some very subtle editing too) after what I said.
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

Replacing graphics goes pretty far.

Every level gets its own subfolder, e.g. Dungeon1, and in there you can put image files with the same name as object sprites or background tiles to override them just for that one level. If you put the graphics in the episode's main folder, the graphic is replaced in all levels.

By making .txt files named after object sprites, you can replace some aspects of their behavior too. You can for example change the SMB2 enemies to die when jumped on as usual by changing a few booleans, or you can (together with changing graphics) turn a Sparky into an Urchin by also changing the object, graphic size and the object speed. The fanciest thing I've seen so far was a Rex that was replaced by a Wiggler so that when you jumped on the "Rex", it transformed into a red Wiggler, moved faster and couldn't be jumped on anymore.

It's still very limited but some nifty things are possible.

EDIT: And whoever said SMBX is dead is being pretty pessimistic. Yes there won't be any new versions, but the engine is still one of the best and it's still very possible to make new playable levels for it. The forums aren't dead: http://knuckles96.prophpbb.com/.
YoshisIsland is working on "New SMBX", but I doubt that will get anywhere. Instead of saying SMBX is dead, I'd rather hear SMBX is "final" :V
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Like Trotim said, swapping graphics is pretty easy. You will see in other episodes that since Peach is the subject of the story (kidnapped, what else?), she is replaced by Daisy. She even has yellow fireballs instead of pink.

The looping of the music is one critisism I have for SMBX. I don't like how they have to fade to silent in the levels, before playing again. It's pretty jaring in my opinion.

Oh, and hi Trotim, nice to see ya again. The creator himself said 'SMBX is dead', so I guess he's pretty pessimistic ;) . Wait, that's a bad thing...
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
TailsDM

Post by TailsDM »

Trotim wrote:post
Huh... goes to show how much I was online in the past few months.
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

Test Pilot Monkey wrote:Haha, it figures you'd go back to hear about Hugo (with some very subtle editing too) after what I said.
It's really sort of grisly that (possibly unless you know what's coming and have fast reflexes) the game effectively forces you to bash in the head of the unsuspecting best friend of your burglary victim. And then plays this for laffs. You're certainly an...interesting guy, game creator.
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

Sebby19 wrote:The looping of the music is one critisism I have for SMBX. I don't like how they have to fade to silent in the levels, before playing again. It's pretty jaring in my opinion.
I don't know if there's a fade time, but then it is very very short. Afaik it is possible to have perfectly looping music... it's just that the .oggs have to be prepared to actually, you know, not fade out and loop perfectly instead
Somepartsareme

Post by Somepartsareme »

I realize that tvtropes titles are your theme but what does "TearJerker" have to do with the video at all. Unless you're bemoaning the poor fate of Hugo. We will miss him, always sitting under the pipe looking angry.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Yes, it's a reference to that whole 'scene' outside Old Man Smelly's house. I... I thought it was obvious!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Somepartsareme

Post by Somepartsareme »

This morning when i watched the video i was wondering if you were really going to shoehorn unrelated trope titles every video but just when i was typing that reply i got it, so i probably shouldn't have posted it in the first place!
Bertrudor

Post by Bertrudor »

It does seem like the percentage is kinda messed up. I guess it's not exact, just a generalization.

The reaction to the 1up in Frigid Awesome Land was funny. "yea--ugh!"

Watching raocow try out Link was wonderful ^_^
He can attack straight up too. Just hold up when you jump. Also, he destroys blocks with his sword. That's kind of important to know, assuming you play him again...
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Just a random question... Which game was done first, this or Super Mario Crossover? They're both pretty impressive for what they do.
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

Apparently "Subcon Nightmare" means a nightmare for the Subconians, as raocow rains death and destruction upon them. Quite entertaining to watch, though.

I used to call those vegetables "beets" as well (along with all of the puns the use of of such objects as a form of blunt weaponry brings along as TSA-approved carry-on baggage), but I've since come to think they're really supposed to be either turnips or radishes. And honestly, given the choice, I'd take a turnip or a radish over a beet any day. Would I use one as a weapon in a pinch, though? Well, maybe, but I'd probably grip it by the leaves and swing it like a flail instead of throwing it, though.

It's good to see they included Link's penchant for being hurled halfway across the room any time he collides with an incoming gnat, but I'm disappointed to see that his horrendous jump controls weren't carried over as well. This is a violation of all of my childhood memories of Zelda 2. Also, if you play as him, there should only be three 1-ups in the game, each of which can only be collected once, ever.

Also, I suspect that Link's sudden bout of fey humor is simply due to him lacking a climbing animation.
FlareDarknight

Post by FlareDarknight »

I just noticed that the game doesn't have a time limit in the levels.What's up with that?
&(´ー`)& #(・A・)# (*(`Д´) (('A`)) (--)]]]
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

This is much better than people were making it sound, Link's gratuitous inclusion notwithstanding.

I have been silent long enough; keyhole lock
dont wanna jihad no more
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

FlareDarknight wrote:I just noticed that the game doesn't have a time limit in the levels.What's up with that?
They finally got rid of a pointless mechanic that's a relic from ages past?

Yay?

Simon
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Just done recording for tomorrow.

Man, I honestly don't remember when I had so much raw fun :/ I didn't perceive at the time that I'd had burnt out on mario hacks... but like this is still a 'mario game', which makes it odd, since it's not "that" different.

!!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

morsel/morceau wrote:I have been silent long enough; keyhole lock
Just because we can only see the keyhole doesn't mean there isn't a lock there. In fact, if there wasn't a lock, Mario et al. wouldn't need a key in the first place.

And since you mentioned SDM raocow, this game actually does better at the whole "retro" thing than SDM2 did.

Edit: Especially digging up a Mr. Saturn
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

raocow wrote:Just done recording for tomorrow.

Man, I honestly don't remember when I had so much raw fun :/ I didn't perceive at the time that I'd had burnt out on mario hacks... but like this is still a 'mario game', which makes it odd, since it's not "that" different.

!!
It's very much apparent that you're having a lot of fun in this game, and I think it's more related to the game's design philosophy, which I believe is genuinely genius.

The game kind of allows you to play it your own way. Now, the levels are linear, yes, but during the levels you have so many options to deal with most obstacles, I think. Even if you're playing as one single character throughout the whole thing.
video games
megamario

Post by megamario »

I think the Mr. Saturn is a reference to Smash Bros. Sometimes Peach can dig up Mr. Saturn instead of a vegetable.
also Bob-ombs and I think beam sabers
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

So is this like the TSRPR of SMBX or something? Because it seems extremely well designed thus far, and something tells me that very few of these SMBX "hacks" are like this.

Nonetheless, it's great fun to watch.
Zaidyer

Post by Zaidyer »

Man, this engine is very much a one man hobbyist thing, and it's a little sad that it seems to be staying that way despite its unexpected popularity. It's super-great for group projects, and it has play-in-editor features that make it great for testing levels. But it's not so good at things like enemy hitboxes, custom graphics (you can only replace what's already there, which amounts to about five thousand individual image files), or having basic powerups like Starman. You sort of have to design around it.

Wait until you discover the super-neat hidden features, too: "having custom character graphics causes eventual slowdown and crashing" and "sounds and music are passed off to your Windows system codec, which can eventually create massive slowdown and crashing if you don't have it configured right"!
HarmfulGravemind
First name: Steve

Post by HarmfulGravemind »

I tried the editor for like 20 minutes... since I make videos of everything I do, here is a video of what I did!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dQsiPTyxNU
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

S.N.N. wrote:and something tells me that very few of these SMBX "hacks" are like this.
Based on what, exactly?