(shouting)

SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TailsDM

Re: SMBX: The Invasion 2; it's not a sequel

Post by TailsDM »

Well, I was a member of the SMBX forum back when it still existed, so I can fill people in on a few things.

1: SMBX is dead. The creator, Redigit (on Youtube his name is "demilogic") specifically stated the engine was just too much of a hassle to continue to work with. Plus, people kept pestering him for the Starman powerup, and we all know how much creators hate being pestered for features.

2: Yes, all SMBX business is conducted through IRC. Specifically, #smbx on fossnet.

3: The forum pretty much died along with SMBX. The wiki followed suit soon after. There was really nothing interesting on there anyway, in my opinion.

Hope that helps.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Welp, good to know i'm playing on the definitive version then!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

:o

The smiley does not express my face. That is really, really sad. I feel almost heartbroken, and I only had this game for like a month. There was still so much to do.

sigh... I feel despressed now.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
megamario

Post by megamario »

"This is very SMB3"
"It's pretty inspired by SMB3"
"This is just like in SMB3!"
"I feel a lot more like I'm playing SMB3"
"SMB3!!!"

raocow I feel like you're trying to tell us something.
Anyway this seems like a pretty neat hack-but-not thing. It's pretty impressive on multiple levels, even.
Test Pilot Monkey

Post by Test Pilot Monkey »

TailsDM wrote:1: SMBX is dead.
I wonder if a SMBX hacking scene will emerge. It would be easier with source code.
TailsDM

Post by TailsDM »

Test Pilot Monkey wrote:I wonder if a SMBX hacking scene will emerge. It would be easier with source code.
Test Pilot Monkey wrote:I wonder if a SMBX hacking scene will emerge.
Test Pilot Monkey wrote:hacking
Test Pilot Monkey wrote:source code
Wait, what.
Test Pilot Monkey

TailsDM wrote:
Test Pilot Monkey wrote:hacking
Test Pilot Monkey wrote:source code
Wait, what.
I suggest you have a read of this
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Well, so far the game has exceeded my initial expectations. The physics actually seem pretty accurate for a fan game!

And for some reason I really liked that moving goomba pipe. Gives off some kind of "dynamic" feel or something.
raocow wrote:you are dommed iso.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

The physics area very well done, but the shell bouncing is too violent like I've mentioned before. They go flying when they meet slopes.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Oracle of Wuffing

Post by Oracle of Wuffing »

Derpy graphics, floaty controls, too much item babysitting, shoddy music ports that could have been done better, stuff that makes no sense in a Mario context, unbalanced plot, filler levels, and an ending that's one big anticlimax.

...And now that I'm done describing the previous things raocow has LPed! :lol:

I'm guessing that the Multiplayer stuff is all local, so it can't be played over internet... Would the screen lag too much to work with a screen sharing program? It'd be kinda, you know, "keeping the let's in let's play" if we got a few people showing off battle stuff. Since we got people saying "Yo everyone can use items," I'm just saying it'd be nifty if raocow switched characters every time he died. Not saying that's how he should do it, 'cause condition gimmicks are like, trainwrecky, but it'd be nifty for like five seconds.

It looks like there's at least one branch project growing off to make a newer SMBX, but I'm wagering that it'll never grow to see the light of day.
raocow wrote:Next LP project - the entire hunter/scorpion series in chronological order
Frown

Post by Frown »

sasukebowser wrote:Well, the trailer has me hyped!
Thank you!!!!
Rameau's Nephew

Post by Rameau's Nephew »

So, uh, what exactly are supposed to be Toad's strengths in comparison to the other characters? That he jumps badly and has trouble collecting coins...?
kilon

Post by kilon »

The commentary is really, really good.
That's what non-hacks do. It's fresh and brings the best out of raocow it seems.

But the game is pretty ok too. SMBX really had more potential than Lunar Magic at first glance
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Alright, Peach and Toad.

Peach: You mentioned that you have to press the jump again if you want to float. However, if you press the alternate jump button, you don't have to do this. Thus, Peach cannot spin jump.

Toad: He can spin jump, and knocks out a random amount of coins from blocks. I can best describe his fireballs as 'fast and heavy', while Peach's are light, slow, and bouncy. Their fireballs can also go up slopes, unlike Mario and Luigi's

Next time you get Fire Peach/Toad, hold the alternate run/fire button and see what happens! Then hold up when you release. They also differ quite alot with other powerups.

You can grab keys from the top SMB2 style, but you can never grab objects if you overlap them even a little bit.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I liked that underwater, the fireballs lost their trail.

It's the little touches.

Simon
Test Pilot Monkey

You didn't talk to the toad when you came back out the chimney, he has something different to say.

I know it's a little thing, and it's less important than a key boss, but it was something you missed that other people might like to know.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

After you rob the Toad in 'Get off my lawn', he says "I can't believe you broke into my house! You better not have hurt Garry!" Garry was his pet Goomba, that you killed.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Well this game was unexpected. I haven't seen much of Mario-related stuff anyway, but this kind of 'stew of various games and aspects' looks appealing to me. Although, I'll wait to see more videos of it before giving it a try myself. Based on the feedback, it's not bad. I hope you have fun playing this, raocow.
FlareDarknight

Post by FlareDarknight »

Test Pilot Monkey wrote:You didn't talk to the toad when you came back out the chimney, he has something different to say.

I know it's a little thing, and it's less important than a key boss, but it was something you missed that other people might like to know.
Why would you want to talk to someone you've just rob?
&(´ー`)& #(・A・)# (*(`Д´) (('A`)) (--)]]]
McGack

Post by McGack »

FlareDarknight wrote: Why would you want to talk to someone you've just rob?
To laugh at their misfortune in a most evil manner befitting a ne'er do well of your standard of course
Phoba
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Phoba »

Just want to clear some more things up.

1. If I recall correctly, most of the "episodes" in Smbx are very old. The quality in them seems bad.
Invasion2, however, is the newest one. It shows few of the updates, such as moving layers and custom graphics. There's the last update that gave the ablitiy to make custom npcs. This wasn't in the official episodes. There's some more episodes on an unofficial smbx forums owned by someone called Knuckles96.

2. You can play multiplayer online and as well make levels. But mind you, it's is VERY buggy.
(a)smbx(t) stuff i'll probably not continue???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3QzmureUo
KingMike

Post by KingMike »

So this looks similar... is this almost the same game TLs4 seems to have kinda forgot he was playing? :P
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

the way Toad gets coins from blocks is like how Luigi gets coins from multiple-coin-blocks in the GBA port of SMW, 'cept in Luigi's case all 10 coins come out at once
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

It is the same game, except he stopped like right after world one or something, and it's been so long I forgot all of what he played.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I know you're new, so I'll just tell you casualy here, please use spoiler tags when saying where a level leads, and the solution to secret exits!

Luckily I did that already for tomorrow's video, but I'm not a big fan of having these things revealed to myself before I get there.