(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
flameofdoubt

Level Clearing

Post by flameofdoubt »

This thread is where you send your level to be "cleared" when you feel your level is completely finished, and preferably has been tested for bugs/glitches/poor quality.

If you've completed your level and want to submit it, you need to come here first.

Yes I know that your level might get ignored in the testing thread, so just repost it after a while if no one gives you any feedback at all.

We only need an ips file for here, but if you're at this stage, make sure you're ready to export everything.

If your level comes here and has not been through the testing and discussion, and it does not qualify on the first try, your slot will be reopened, and you will have to try to sign up again, because we do not have the patience for this.

Make a post saying what number your level is and upload an ips. We (that is, mods) will play it, and point out any bugs. If there are no bugs, and your level is judged to be of a high enough quality, then you can go submit your level and it will be in. You can submit it when your level is officially cleared for submission.

If there are bugs you can fix them and post again. If the level is not deemed to be of a high enough quality then the slot will be opened for someone else to have a go. You will still be in the slot, and you can still work on making the level good enough to qualify, but if someone signs up for your slot and makes a better level, then they will get the level slot.

Who can clear my level?
Anyone of the "Hack Collaborator" title (the names colored #0000FF blue as opposed to the darker blue,) as well as Argumentable, Daarkbuu, and AnonymousBl00dlust can clear levels.

Things we will be checking for:
Playing the level - Is it fun? Is the level unique? Does it look like a mess?
Those are the three basic questions we will be asking ourselves when moderating a level.

I think intuition should say what the result for each question should be for a cleared level.

In addition to that, if the level has a gimmick of some sort... Is the gimmick implemented in a way that is complementary to the level? Or is it just a poorly done distraction?

Also one very important thing: YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO BEAT YOUR ENTIRE LEVEL WITHOUT SAVESTATES. TEST YOUR OWN LEVEL WITHOUT SAVESTATES BEFORE POSTING IT HERE.

Also, the Yoshi-munchers aren't meant to use a vanilla palette. If you look at any level using them in ASMT, their palettes were changed. If you need to, you can just look at ASMT.
Last edited by flameofdoubt 9 years ago, edited 7 times in total.
Reason: Redescription: Moved "clearing rules" to the Rules thread and kept information about what this thread is for
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
kilon

Re: Level Clearing

Post by kilon »

Will bugs etc. be posted in this thread or a separate testing thread?
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Putting bugs here is a sort of final stop thing. By this point a level designer should have already been very active in the testing and discussion thread, getting people to test for bugs and sound out the level for quality. This thread is for when you want to make it actually official and have it judged, because otherwise the testing and discussion thread would get cluttered and difficult to read.

The idea is that if you know you're done you can get submission permission here. If you haven't prepared or tested enough though, there's the risk your slot will be opened to others, so it will hopefully make people a lot more likely to make use of the testing and discussion thread.

To actually answer your question more explicitly, if you download a level someone posts here and there is a bug, post about it here.
PacoStudio8

Post by PacoStudio8 »

Here's level entitled "Springboard Hop!"
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

When you submit your level in the submission thread, that zip is good.

But when you're posting it here I think you should just post an IPS, because most people are too lazy to assemble everything to just test it. (Atleast I am)
kilon

Post by kilon »

And although you have an ips in there, what the hell are you supposed to do to jump across?
Plus it looks kinda bland and boring judging the mwl

(Is this okay to say this like or should one of the 'blue guys' (minus ycz) do that.)
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

flameofdoubt wrote:We (that is, anyone) will play it, and point out any bugs. If there are no bugs, and your level is judged to be of a high enough quality, then you can go submit your level and it will be in.
I think you're good to go, kilon.
Last edited by tatanga 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
PacoStudio8

Post by PacoStudio8 »

You're supposed to use the springboards to jump across? :/
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Pacostudio8: The background looks really nice, the music is good, the HUD hurts my eyes, and I can't clear the first jump. I don't move far enough to the right to reach the second springboard (the springboard pushes me to the right when I jump on it, but only enough to get about half way), so I can't see to test the rest of the level. If you let me know how to make the jump I'll test the rest of it.

Since this level is having a couple of issues I suggest you take it to the testing thread instead of submitting it for clearing now, but it's your choice.
PacoStudio8

Post by PacoStudio8 »

when you jump on the springboard you don't touch the control pad and you press the jump button at the correct moment.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

PacoStudio8: Ok thanks I got it now. One other question, how do I get the 4th yoshicoin, the spingboard nearby pushes me away?

Judging of PacoStudio8's level:
This looks like it could be really good. I like what I see so far but currently It isn't enough. The level slot will remain closed to other people because this level shows such promise.

Things you need to fix:
The foreground palette makes the HUD look awful and the ground looks a little iffy. I know that's due to the background but if you change the colours around in the background file maybe you can make a compromise.
Make a messagebox so that people know not to move when they try to use the springboards, or they'll never figure it out.
Most important: Make more of the level! It's good and has good ideas but it's very very very short. Explore the idea more and spread out the yoshicoins and this will definitely get in. I really want you to make more because I enjoyed playing this level once I knew what to do!
PacoStudio8

Post by PacoStudio8 »

Alrighty, I'll get to work! =)
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Also PacoStudio8 I actually used my brain and figured out the 4th yoshicoin, nice one on that trick, I liked it.

EDIT: Correction, I didn't figure it out I just found another way! Did you know it's possible to get the 4th yoshicoin without the invisible coinblocks? I'd suggest taking them out because then you're trying to do it from the other direction and the springboard hinders you, becoming a neat puzzle.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

I made a note about the backgrounds, I really wish I hadn't forgotten that. the HUD takes up a lot of palette. (Testing and Development thread)
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
PacoStudio8

Post by PacoStudio8 »

well here's my 2nd attempt.
I improved it alot.
I changed it to be a level in desert word or something extended the level itself and messed with the pallete for the HUD! It's fantastic! XD
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

Heh, I really liked that little level, it was pretty sweet! I guess my only complaint would be I'd like to see it a little longer. I really enjoyed myself playing it though, nice job!

One question: why do you give out two powerups when there aren't any opportunities to use/lose them?
Last edited by tatanga 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

You've fixed all the problems and it's longer, so very well done for that, but I still feel that there could be more to the level. At the moment it's pretty fun and short, something you'd notice but forget. If you can work hard for long and come up with some really great level design I think this could be a great level. I would suggest going back to the discussion thread and just making it longer and trying new ideas and picking the best bits of level design and weaving them together and seeing what everyone thinks until there's no way it can be improved any more.

One major thing at the moment is that there are no enemies whatsoever. The level isn't challenging at all, so try to work in some enemies and see how they work with the springboards. Simple things like horizontally flying enemies above the huge springboards, but also go for more complex things. Really put everything into this level!

Also though the level has a desert background it doesn't really feel like a desert, there's no sand and no sand-level enemies, so try to fix that.

Keep up the good work!
Wiistar97

Post by Wiistar97 »

Umm, just specifically, would you like us to just place an .mwl file into a zip? Or... send an IPS Patch?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

It would be a lot simpler for testing purposes to make an .ips file.

HOWEVER, the final submission, in the level submission thread, will be a .mwl file.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Wiistar97

Post by Wiistar97 »

Well, I guess here it is. Hopefully, I know I tried really well (two hours straight) and participated in this event!

*Oh noes! Forgot the level name and number. >.< (I can be forgetful most of the time) So, now, the IPS is renamed.
Last edited by Wiistar97 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Well I finished my level and everything (It is kind of short.) but I have no idea how to make it an IPS file or any of that stuff to put it here.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Wiistar97: Did you signup for a level slot? I can't take a submission from you if you didn't, sorry.

KingTwelveSixteen: To make an ips you need LunarIPS which can be found in the tools and patches and hex edits thread. You get your rom and a clean rom, you open LunarIPS, choose to make a new patch, and the program should guide you through it from there. When you've made the ips, put it in a zip folder and add it to a post as an attachment
Wiistar97

Post by Wiistar97 »

...Posted a reserve for level 129 in the Signups thread. How about now?
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

As I said in that thread, you're on the reserve list but you'll have to wait for other people to drop out before your level can be considered I'm afraid.
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

I just want you to know that it didn't walk me through it at all. But then again, thats why you always make a backup before messing with computer stuff you don't understand.