(shouting)

Psychonauts - end

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sebby19

Re: Psychonauts - Tabletop Party of Split Personality

Post by Sebby19 »

Now that Edgar's mind is finished, this is so far my favorite level in the game so far. I really like the design of it, and the verticality they add to the main path.

And it feels nice to help Edgar free his mind. I have no worries concerning him anymore. The lady before, I'm still not sure if she is 'fine', mentally, but Edgar is totally okay now.

However, I'm really liking this Waterloo level. It'll be as if raocow will be playing a strategy game like Civilisation (minus the real-time aspect)
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

I kind of wonder what raocow makes of the "French" spoken by Napoleon. I don't speak French, so I have no idea how accurate his pronunciation and word choice are.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I always thought the head chopper was called a "gee-yo-teen," but hearing raocow call it a "gill-o-teen" has me doubting my worldview.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

YelseyKing wrote: 7 years ago

Also, you can (and should) defeat those bomb-shooting snail-like creatures, since they don't respawn unless you leave Fred's mind entirely. Knock them down, then use Pyrokinesis on them. They're *incredibly* annoying otherwise.

Cooked snails. Of course.

Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

Dark Hunter wrote: 7 years ago I kind of wonder what raocow makes of the "French" spoken by Napoleon. I don't speak French, so I have no idea how accurate his pronunciation and word choice are.
Quebec French and France French are not the same thing, like American and correct British English.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

I realize that, but a Quebecer would have more insight than I would.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

This world is gonna be painful to watch with rao's thought process, isn't it?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

He was actually very close, very quickly, but that single-minded focus on the most recent goal pop-up and never, ever, ever stopping to check his menu with the range of objectives on it... because one might be blocking another... ah well :lol: he'll get it soon enough, no doubt.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

From this we can conclude that raocow is not a tabletop game player. He's on the right track though.

And yeah, I figured the French was just "standard French snippets that English-speakers would recognize", but having it confirmed is always good. I love looking at foreign languages, but French is one that's just impenetrable to me. Don't particularly like French culture either, maybe that has something to do with it...
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i figured this would happen considering the 2-day interlude between videos & raocow taking an eternity to even figure out he can grab pieces
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Having not played this, I have to say it's not clear to me either what raocow is doing "wrong" in terms of trying to move those pieces. And I absolutely am a tabletop game player.

If the problem he's encountering with "trying to feed the snails to the hungry knight" is "he needs to complete some other goal first," I don't think the game has made that clear at all. Does he need to find a way to fix the destroyed bridge first?
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Voltgloss wrote: 7 years ago If the problem he's encountering with "trying to feed the snails to the hungry knight" is "he needs to complete some other goal first," I don't think the game has made that clear at all. Does he need to find a way to fix the destroyed bridge first?
This was an issue I had when playing this stage. It lets you do things in essentially any order you want, but you can generally only get so far on each of these objectives before you have to do something else, even if you have exactly what you appear to need.

(Note: raocow, or anyone playing the game, do not read this spoiler text, as I basically give away exactly what to *do*.)
As an example, you can get the coin out of the fireplace basically right away. There's a peasant who will fight for money. You'd think the objective is to give him the coin... and you'd be right. You just can't *do* this until you've made several *other* moves first, and the game does not tell you this.

In this case, you can't move the snails to the Hearty Knight until you...
1) Throw the salt shaker away (just use Telekinesis to get rid of it),
2) Repair the bridge, and...
3) Bring a peasant over to take out Napoleon's soldier.

That said, you can only place your pieces onto hexes that are highlighted in blue when you attempt a move.
Last edited by YelseyKing 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Blue

Post by Blue »

YelseyKing wrote: 7 years agoThis was an issue I had when playing this stage. It lets you do things in essentially any order you want, but you can generally only get so far on each of these objectives before you have to do something else, even if you have exactly what you appear to need.

That said, you can only place your pieces onto hexes that are highlighted in blue when you attempt a move.
That's a real friggin shame and giant missed opportunity. Having actual strategy game elements instead of just 'do things in specific unspecified order to trip flags' would have made this whole area pretty brilliant instead of a kind of tedious point and click adventure.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Blue wrote: 7 years ago That's a real friggin shame and giant missed opportunity. Having actual strategy game elements instead of just 'do things in specific unspecified order to trip flags' would have made this whole area pretty brilliant instead of a kind of tedious point and click adventure.
Kinda the whole story of psychonauts - in theory it's a 3D platformer with some puzzle elements, but in truth it's always an inventory-based adventure game - and what platforming there is is really quite tricky and awkward, with many areas like The Milkman Conspiracy and Waterloo World not really designed with platforming in mind at all except for that one "getting on the roof" mission. I'm told the first two worlds designed by Double Fine were Gloria's Theatre and Milla's Dance Party - the two extreme ends of the spectrum, really, a very heavily adventure-centric world with a trivial amount of platforming to get topside and then a very linear course to a gimmick boss, and a long platforming/floating/racing level with no boss.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

YelseyKing wrote: 7 years ago(Note: raocow, or anyone playing the game, do not read this spoiler text, as I basically give away exactly what to *do*.)
As an example, you can get the coin out of the fireplace basically right away. There's a peasant who will fight for money. You'd think the objective is to give him the coin... and you'd be right. You just can't *do* this until you've made several *other* moves first, and the game does not tell you this.

In this case, you can't move the snails to the Hearty Knight until you...
1) Throw the salt shaker away (just use Telekinesis to get rid of it),
2) Repair the bridge, and...
3) Bring a peasant over to take out Napoleon's soldier.
As someone who hasn't played the game, this seemed fairly obvious to me. Steps 2 and 3 aren't outright obvious but the fact you need to find a way to get rid of Napoleon's soldier is since it's standing right in the way. And after you realize that one detail then the rest will fall into place as well.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I actually think raocow's doing fine here, and I say this as someone who likes this level most of the trio. Literally the only thing he's getting stuck on is that he's trying to move the snails to the wrong square.

This is something that I think most people will get briefly hung up on. It's easy to forget how rough or smooth your first time playing went: your brain is tuned to remember the things that worked and the things that failed painfully, not the things you tried to no result then tried something else.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Blue

Post by Blue »

I'll be honest: watching raocow try to trade and win with the strongarm censors while at 1.25 hp makes me want to see him try to play Dark Souls for an hour.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Hmm. I stand corrected. I guess you *can* do things in a different order. He didn't do anything I said you "had" to do, and managed to get the snails to the Hearty Knight. Welp. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

raocow is the best scientist, he makes a assumption and then refuses to test it because it sounds right and he already did a vaguely related thing that isn't the assumption six times :D just amused by the whole "getting impatient with having to talk to them first before moving them" when... that's literally not a thing! It's all about the bridges (and the salt shaker, which... is probably the worst-rendered salt shaker I've seen in a game, but nevermind)
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I don't know where he got the idea you had to talk to a piece first before moving it. For the day before, he was trying to make an impossible move with the snails.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

I guess it is pretty random that there's a salt shaker in the middle of the board.

Well, the good news is that I'm pretty sure things will pick up after this world. Less puzzles, more platforming!
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i forgot how unbearable the music in this stage gets, like, goddamn now really guys
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Dark Hunter wrote: 7 years ago I guess it is pretty random that there's a salt shaker in the middle of the board.
I think it's not a stretch to assume Napoleon put it there because he's a big dumb cheater, and it's actually the biggest reason for why Fred loses all the time.

My first time in this level, I think I spent longer than raocow trying to figure things out. I'm pretty sure I also got stuck on the step of just throwing the playing pieces, in fact I forgot Telekinesis existed multiple times during my playthrough because I made longer playing pauses and the way you get it from level ups instead of in a stage dedicated to it made me always file it (wrongly) as a "nice to have I guess but not essential" power. And it's introduced in its tutorial as a combat thing, not a puzzle solving tool!

I also never realized you could even talk to the pieces, so I guess when raocow did the "just move me" part clicked into place and everything was fine. Ultimately, he's doing better than I was? I spent far more time faffing around at ground level getting figments and stuff too, his format actually helps him. I remember this world being really fun, but HOURS long because I kept getting lost and finding new shit in distant corners, getting distracted by figments flying around...
Blue

Post by Blue »

Hey raocow, remember when I said high FPS resulted in physics bugs? One of them is gaining height when swapping from levitation ball to levitation balloon, which you used to get up on ledges and skip some platforming. It's possible to fly infinitely high and forever by swapping fast enough at a high enough framerate.