(shouting)

Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Performance Edition

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Parlous Edition

Post by Ryrir »

Alice wrote: 7 years ago raocow, did you ever try spinjumping on those fireball enemies? You only accidentally found you could kill them with shells so it seems like you didn't actually bother checking what ways you could kill them despite the fact you were going out of your way to get them out of your way.
It doesn't matter if you spin- or normal jump on them, they react the same way
this is getting laundromatic
hanayamata

Post by hanayamata »

Last edited by hanayamata 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Ryrir wrote: 7 years agoIt doesn't matter if you spin- or normal jump on them, they react the same way
That's actually kinda surprising. Usually custom enemies just die when hit with a spinjump or act like you're spinjumping a thwomp or other enemy that's immune to it.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

get hype for a two parter mario level tomorrow.

'hype'.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

aspe is a good hack u guise
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

ASPE is a pretty good romhack so far, actually. It just seems to have a difficulty cliff, and an occasional sense of power-up starvation, which is never good. Despite that, there haven't really been any bad levels, just levels with flaws in them that can be patched up fairly easily. (the original version of today's level sounds rather bad, though...) We'll see what the next level has to offer...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

Tomorrow contains possibly the worst level I've ever played in a rom hack in awhile. I can easily understand why it's a two parter. The normal exit is fine for the most part, not great but not too awful.

The secret exit makes Simple Path and Flash Black from VLDC9 look amazing in comparison though.
Divemissile

Post by Divemissile »

is aspe pronounced 'ahsp' or 'aysp'
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

ass pee.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Re: Super ASPE Mario - All Stars Pseudolatry Edition

Post by jayScribble »

Ah yes, the

Fogy, Windy, Icey, Up-only-scroll

show. "get hype everyone for side B"
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I suppose I can understand someone giving up at 2-2, because you have to beat that level to make progress, but giving up because of a secret exit seems silly. You can play lots of other levels without worrying about it and, if you like, come back to it later when you have the time or inclination and eventually grind it out (and I did precisely this when I played this hack). I would like to say I look forward to raocow's effort at it, but I fear the charms of climbing the cloudy summit might not lend themselves to an lp video.
dont wanna jihad no more
Ryrir

Post by Ryrir »

It's really too bad, because I feel like this level is another one of those "missed opportunity" cases. If the author would have decided on either the fog or the wind, or even if he would have made the fog just a bit more transparent, it wouldn't be nearly as bad.

It's the classical morsel syndrome (no offense buddy), where the idea itself is actually kinda clever and the level design has some cool spots as well (for example the part where you climb from rope to rope under an overhang is legit super neat), but the execution is just way too hard to be enjoyable.

I also feel like this is something that raocow in particular would have more trouble with than the average person - the level took me closer to 30min to complete rather than two hours

There are 53 exits in this game, out of which I strongly disliked four. Underground Exploration and Summit of the Gods are out of the way, so only two more?
this is getting laundromatic
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

morsel/morceau wrote: 7 years ago I suppose I can understand someone giving up at 2-2, because you have to beat that level to make progress, but giving up because of a secret exit seems silly. You can play lots of other levels without worrying about it and, if you like, come back to it later when you have the time or inclination and eventually grind it out (and I did precisely this when I played this hack).

It's just that other than 2-1, the hack has left a really bad first impression on me with these two levels and especially this secret exit. For World 2 difficulty something like this is just inexcusable. Because it is World 2, I would expect Worlds 3 and 4 only to get significantly worse.

I still think this exit is the worst experience I've played in awhile because the author took the gimmick idea way too far, and made it so incredibly unfun to play. I tried to grind this exit out but dying right at the very end was pretty rage inducing after grinding it for a few hours.
Last edited by zagesaw 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

morsel/morceau wrote: 7 years ago I suppose I can understand someone giving up at 2-2, because you have to beat that level to make progress, but giving up because of a secret exit seems silly.

You have two brutally hard and unfair levels at the beginning of world 2 back to back. My thoughts were that if the game is this hard and unfun at such an early point, what horrors will the late game contain?
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Normal exit in Summit of the Gods is just fine. Secret exit is something else...
It's kind of justified, as it is supposed to be a secret in one way or another, and I see what the author was going for... but poor visibility and wind just kills levels off on its lonesome.

I would have liked if there was a gradient to these effects, with only the ending being this bad. Then we might have both a challenging and interesting secret exit. I'm thinking this is just a sour spot in the hack, and that it gets better, like all those anime people that get crushed by buses. They all get better somehow... no bus stains or anything.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
swishyfeather
Stormy forest level please?
Pronouns: she/her

Post by swishyfeather »

oh boy, this hack! I remember this exit. eheheh. Looking forward to part B!
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I think raocow was invisible for more time this video than he is in the entirely of

psychonauts so far

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

I lost respect for this hack today.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

That level was just too much. Wind, ice, fog that's far worse than the game's normal fog effect (seriously there's like a solid 40-60% of your screen covered at any given time just by the completely opaque parts, that's not even mentioning the partly transparent parts), and on top of that there's all the little things too such as all the one tile jumps, the finickiness of the vines, and the fact that you effectively erase the level behind you leaving a bottomless pit. Just 2-3 of these details would result in the level being stressful and boring in the wrong ways but all of them together are just asking too much and result in an experience that I honestly would have trouble believing anyone could honestly enjoy.
zagesaw

Post by zagesaw »

This is the worst level I've played in a rom hack that isn't an intentional joke/kaizo hack. I'd expect this crap in 100 MC Super Expert and not in a collab hack by apparently "good" Japanese level designers. I could have just turned off the BG layer off or use savestates or anything, but what's the point? Why continue giving this hack a chance after such a horrendous World 2? People who've completed this hack... Does it honestly get better?

EDIT: I've managed to clear the level today after about 20ish attempts. I still dislike the level immensely, but now I guess I can enjoy the rest of the hack assuming it won't get as bad.
Last edited by zagesaw 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Grounder wrote: 7 years ago
genuinely watching the video with this on to help balance out the incessant ghost house
Tyty

Post by Tyty »

Honestly I would've just turned layer 3 off. Screw all that noise.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

IMO even if it was just the fog, it's be too much.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

The thing I've always disliked about many Japanese hacks is the asm they use to make the camera always move with Mario. It feels really awkward to me when it doesn't move as a result of jumping to a higher platform but instead as a result of just moving Mario high enough. In this level, that change is deadly since even a normal jump that doesn't progress you anywhere will constantly move the camera upwards, moving that death pit closer and closer.