(shouting)

Horikawa Plays Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
kitikami

Re: Horikawa Plays MaGMML (Make a Good Mega Man Level) - Ep 4 Out!

Post by kitikami »

I've been trying to keep up with the Ys Origins playthrough on the Twitch archive, and I really enjoyed the floofy collab stream. You two worked really well together, and she definitely added a lot of interesting insight on the Ys series/Nihon Falcom in general. It was a lot of fun to watch.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Apologies for any jankiness or imbalance in my Wily level. I figured Wily 2 was usually the long, enemy-focused level without much instant death, so that's what I aimed for... Might've overdone the length a bit, in hindsight. That or I should've just added one extra checkpoint where it was really needed.

The story behind the weird extra boss hallway basically boils down to "cheez is a ditz". I somehow completely missed every memo that Pyro was going to make bosses for each of the Wily Stages, and figured all of us judges were going to be making levels just as the contestants did. And when I was planning, I realized that when a stage doesn't have any sort of final challenge to cap it off, it just sort of peters out and feels unfulfilling. But I didn't know enough to code my own boss. The solution? Make a sort of pseudo-boss with one final extra-tricky set of rooms! It wasn't as good as a boss, but it was a sufficient satisfying note to end the level on. And, uh, then Pyro made a boss for after that and I was like "oh"

But if you're willing to see it as "the ghost of MM1 boss hallways", I'll gladly take it!
I don't really get it but okay
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

It was still okay in terms of idea. Also I think the ending still worked pretty well for finishing things off.

Maybe next episode is the last one. Looking forward to seeing what Wily is really up to.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

MaGMML had a lot of nice level design, and it was fun to watch pretty much throughout, even with some rough spots with the engine and harder levels here and there. The post game levels were neat (especially the gauntlet), and I think the levels were scored fairly too. Great series.

Also next time I'll say just skip the games when doubtful, and if you have time to record another thing.
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

A CastChaos quest, wow. You picked a hell of a thing to get back into Zelda Classic with.

I'm entirely too fond of ZC, even though your assessment of it as archaic was completely right. The features are still almost entirely stock Zelda 1 stuff, so you have to use the engine's scripting language to do anything fancy like real NPCs. And even then it isn't half as powerful as, say, LunaLua. The code itself is also still using Allegro 4.x, I believe. There are still some really good quests, but the good ones are also really hard. Quests tend to be lengthier than just about anything else you've played on your channel (including Return of the Hylian). In the Lost Kingdom of the Banana Blood God (tougher, 4 dungeons, uses newer engine features extensively) and I Hate Mayonnaise 2 (easier, 5 dungeons, sticks mostly to Zelda 1 mechanics) are two common favorites that are relatively shorter than the standard 9 dungeon mold.

AZCT is looking pretty good, too, so look out for that when it's released 6 years from now.
Willhart
Banned

Re: Horikawa Plays ZELDA CLASSIC

Post by Willhart »

I don't think it can turn as bad as DK.
MeleeWizard

Post by MeleeWizard »

If you ever need ideas for a ZC quest to play, check out my playlists. I've done a ton of ZC LP's, so you're bound to find something of interest.
YouTube | Twitter Image
Image Irony, thy name is Talkhaus.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

MeleeWizard wrote:If you ever need ideas for a ZC quest to play, check out my playlists. I've done a ton of ZC LP's, so you're bound to find something of interest.
Oh wow. You have 86 let's plays already. That is pretty good. Also some of those look longer than roth was, based on the video count and length.
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

MeleeWizard wrote:If you ever need ideas for a ZC quest to play, check out my playlists. I've done a ton of ZC LP's, so you're bound to find something of interest.
Maybe she should play Zodiac: Story of the Guardian?

Avatar by Skully (artwork) and bkamakaze (size). Thanks, guys!
Soma Cruz, Linkara, and Olimar for SMBX 2.0

Game King-style Story Briefs, a forum game by me
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Was Zodiac ever entirely finished? It was in beta for a long time, and it still isn't on the quest database. It's also very long, from what I understand. I looked through a bit of the quest database and found some shorter quests.

Summoning War (very plain, curiously bad spelling)
Vault of Souls (made in two weeks for a contest)
Engage to Zeldawock (play as Zelda, optional mouse control)
this thing

I'm sure there are some even shorter quests like Hyrule's Christmas DX, but if they're not notable they tend to get lost in the passage of time. Switching quest databases doesn't help either. There's a Miniquest tag for quests on Pure, but 4+ hours still counts as mini to some people so maybe it's not super helpful.
MeleeWizard

Post by MeleeWizard »

While it seems Zodiac isn't "officially" done, it is in the project database and from what I can tell, most of what's left to do has nothing to do with the actual game, so it is what it is. Also, yes it is quite long, but metroidvanias aren't exactly known for being short.
YouTube | Twitter Image
Image Irony, thy name is Talkhaus.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Watched the first vid of the Mega Man 9 run. Always amazed at how many spikes they love putting everywhere in that one. Feels like a Zero game at times in that regard. If you go in guns blazing in some of these other stages, it'll probably be a rough time. Good luck on it as it can be pretty unforgiving in spots even when you know what you're doing because of those one-hit KO traps.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

So Hornet Man's kind of middle of the road in difficulty both in terms of the stage and fight, give or take. That flower miniboss is much easier with a special weapon that arcs downward. You had the right idea on the snail platforms the first time around. I don't think I've ever done that part correctly without getting hit, but now I've got the knowledge on how to do so thanks to your vid. You're teaching me stuff here!

Here's what the weapons do. You'll be spoiled on the three you have if you open this box up, so it's your call.
Hornet Chaser is meant to grab items that are too high up to get normally, Jewel Satellite is best used without being fired since it will stay up until you hit an enemy that has more than 3 HP, and Laser Trident is basically a straight firing version of Metal Man's weapon from MM2 except that it pierces through stuff Sniper Joe shields. The weapons are very overpowered in this game.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Re: Horikawa Plays MEGA MAN 9

Post by Bean »

Hey, I never said it pierces through Met helmets, so there. Anyhoo, this was the hardest boss of the eight because he hits for so much. I think there's still one more stage that has a harder gimmick, but since you don't like the disappearing blocks at all, it could be less painful. Maybe.

Plug Ball is the game's Bubble Lead or Search Snake. In other words, it just travels on the ground. It's all right, but there are better weapons in Mega Man 9 to use or not use in your case.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Should've posted these like two videos ago, but I do not care:

Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

Nerdcore is a thing.
I actually like those two songs...
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

horikawaxholes otp
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

The elephants are the hardest part of this stage, so that's why you struggled with the second and third ones the most. Concrete Shot creates a single-block platform for you stand on. It won't last long, but if you just want to skip enemies on certain split paths or place them on spikes for a safer jump, it's not bad. I think you can have two out at most.

I guess I'd place this dude directly in the middle of the difficulty scale. As for his stage? Beats me. If it weren't for the elephants and enemies that pop out of pits, this place would be a total cakewalk. But it does have them, so maybe the stage goes right in the middle, too. Sure.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Good episode today. You seemed to really enjoy it for the most part and quickly learned how to handle all the obstacles except that one where the health pellet thing was. When I first played MM9, this dude's stage was the only one I managed to make it to the boss without getting a game over on. Boss annihilated me when I made it, but it still felt like a moral victory or something. I just think it's the lack of spikes even though the lava hurts just as much. So the stage is also middle of the road like since the lava and beams one shot you, and I'd put this boss as the third hardest since I don't really get his jumping pattern myself.

Magma Bazooka can be charged up like Heat Man's weapon and goes flying off in three directions. In any other game, this would be a great weapon. In this one, it's middle of the road and best used on enemies at close range or above you. Finally, I kind of want to see the harder of the two stages to go last, so I'm totally picking Galaxy Man with that vote thing you're asking for at the end there.

And finally finally, I never did like this game's boss music. Some of those notes hurt my ears.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

play 7 grand dad next
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Galaxy Man's the other starting stage along with Splash Woman to me. It's easy outside of the enemies that drop in to drag you around the place. It's the only hard part of an otherwise simple stage. You even nearly got the boss on your first try since the only thing you have to watch out for is when he crouches and does this upward flying arc across the floor of the room.

Next time should be the fun one. Depends on if you can figure out everything that's going on or not because it's tricky from start to finish.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Grounder wrote: 7 years ago play 7 grand dad next
I second this
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.
Location: Oh, don't mind me. I'm just contacting you from the distant past. Carry on.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Play Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit next.

HamsterZerg
True Pacifist or bust.

Post by HamsterZerg »

Horikawa Otane wrote: 7 years ago
HamsterZerg wrote: 7 years ago Play Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit next.
I was thinking of doing Mega Man 10 - but I'll definitely consider it! Might be a good idea to take a break in between. How long is it?

(The other thing I'm thinking of is doing Nier in my Friday slot... it'll force me to play it and I REALLY want to)
Well, you have to kill about 100 monsters, but the game keeps track of which ones you've killed, and a lot of them tend to be really close together. It's also split into ten zones, and there is backtracking, but at a certain point in the game, you unlock the ability to use teleports. And the game is kinda like Metroid, only upgrades are bought in a shop with in-game currency that's picked up around the world or obtained from killing monsters. There's also The Island, which is an in-game feature accessible from the main menu and lets you send stuff to the main game. You unlock it by killing your tenth monster. And then there's the missions. There's three in each zone, and each one gives you money for beating it. Beat all three in a zone, and you get a new customization. And finally, there's a secret gift hidden somewhere in each zone. Each secret gift is a customization that isn't from the shop, The Island, or the missions. They tend to be hidden in some out-of-the-way places, but there are certain indicators for when they're close by (some destroyable stuff in an unimportant ceiling, a narrow passageway mostly obscured by environmental decorations, that flashing oval-with-horns being in the middle of some destroyable stuff, etc.).

Also, the game takes place in hell, the player character is the prince of hell and a skeletal rabbit, and he's killing monsters because some embarrassing photos of him were posted on an online news tabloid. Also, most monsters need to be finished off by a little mini-game of sorts, and I suggest an Xbox 360 controller because some of the mini-games have little jokes in the buttons they have you press.

tl;dr- It's kinda fast for how much stuff you kill, there's some other stuff you can do in it, and it doesn't take itself that seriously.