(shouting)

Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by Juanbro »

dustsuke wrote:Hey guys maybe you can help me. I'm trying to tweet this picture I drew to someone but I'm not sure what her account name is. Her name is Haley and she lives at Archer's Pass. If anyone knows who I'm talking about, can you make sure she sees this?

https://twitter.com/dustsuke/status/818640381336231936
Oh man, that gave me a lot of giggles. Can someone tell me from which episode of raocow's LP comes the inspiration for this? I think it was between part 7 and part 8, but my memory fails me.
Bean
Yep.

Re: Dust: An Elysian Tail - The Adventures of Sasuke and his Anime Figure Collection

Post by Bean »

Juanbro wrote:Oh man, that gave me a lot of giggles. Can someone tell me from which episode of raocow's LP comes the inspiration for this? I think it was between part 7 and part 8, but my memory fails me.
Episode 5, near the end when Dust and Haley the blacksmith are having a talk.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, the reason the starter area shows up as new on the map is that the icon doesn't show up on the map until you've already left the area so until you go back there it will always be flagged as a new area. As it has been since the video you reached the world map and commented on it being flagged as new.
RegiGiygas
listening to oingo boingo
First name: uriah
Pronouns: he/him

Post by RegiGiygas »

dustsuke wrote:Hey guys maybe you can help me. I'm trying to tweet this picture I drew to someone but I'm not sure what her account name is. Her name is Haley and she lives at Archer's Pass. If anyone knows who I'm talking about, can you make sure she sees this?

https://twitter.com/dustsuke/status/818640381336231936
Oh, I am laughing.
can't forget this guy
Waaa.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

raocow: I wish the game would tell me how much stock I have.
me: But... but... it tells you there, in the bottom left hand corner. "My stock", right next to "my money", in a huge font.
Xirix wrote:Did you quote the wrong person ztarwuff? Or just really want that sweet twitter account to happen? :P

Also raocow you need to switch to sell mode, you're just looking at the stuff you've already given him, it'll never change so there's no point in checking it in buy mode.
Damnit! :oops: I could have sworn I quoted went. How'd I end up quoting you?
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

If you end up having trouble getting four stars on the challenge course, you might want to read this before trying again:

That is not how you get the other item in that room. Score has no effect on what you get for completing the challenge courses.

It's nice that Dust wants to help people, but he probably shouldn't tell the kid he rescued from Gianni's laundry quest to not leave the village no matter what since it's too dangerous outside the village while also telling Ginger (and only Ginger) to leave the village immediately because it's not safe in the village.
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

I forgot to mention this yesterday, but the cave artwork and stuff reminds me of the first Rayman. Not saying it looks the same, this game looks way better than Rayman (only cause Rayman is old), but the style can't help but remind of that game. Especially the Cave of Skops world (world 5).
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Today, Dust guest stars on King of the Hill.

Who the heck names their kid "Bopo" anyway?

Or "SmoBop"?!
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

A family with violent tendencies, I'd say. Bop!
Sebby19

Post by Sebby19 »

*sips beer* Yup.
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard
Official raocow subscriber # 30,000
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Geez, weeb Dust just kinda keeps getting more amazing. Don't forget raocow, blue on the map = saves. Also huzzah, materials sold, maybe after a few shop restocks you'll be able to get enough to craft some stuff.
Alice

Post by Alice »

Xirix wrote:Don't forget raocow, blue on the map = saves.
You don't honestly expect raocow to put effort into this game, do you? He only seems to be putting less effort in as time goes on. I mean it took him like five videos of people pointing out his issues with the materials screen before he finally learned what they were saying. You'd think that someone who literally does this as their job might put a smidgen more effort into it.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Dude what.

Like what are you seriously expecting from me at this point? I'm doing my best!

Like yeah I was slow on getting that whole material thing but I understand it now.
And remember there's a bit of a delay between when I record these and they get uploaded, so naturally feedback won't have an immediate impact.

But now I get the material and selling system, I try to look around when I get to new areas, I parry when it's relevant: I seriously have no idea what I'm doing wrong anymore from your point of view.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:Like what are you seriously expecting from me at this point? I'm doing my best!
How is skipping through the dialogue so fast that even pausing the video constantly to try and read it was a very difficult task just so you could find a save point when there was literally one in the room just before the town doing your best? The number of views on your Dust videos seem to suggest that while I'm the only one actually voicing my opinion on the matter that others aren't enjoying this series either. It has significantly less views than your last B-side. And that's really unfortunate because this is a game that deserves a lot more praise than it gets.
And remember there's a bit of a delay between when I record these and they get uploaded, so naturally feedback won't have an immediate impact.
Of course, it could take a video or two between the tie someone says something to you and the time we would be seeing your next recorded video. But that's only 1-2 videos depending on whether it's the A-side or B-side. (With the exception of awhile back when you prerecorded more videos so you could take a bit of a break for some gaming event or something.) People have been saying this to you since very early on in this lp. Just in the thread there's been a comment or so per video commenting on it and I've seen comments about it on Youtube as well. That isn't a matter of a delay between recording and uploading. That seems far more like a matter of not paying attention to the comments.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

for the text thing I realise I don't have an excuse but believe me when I say that I'm trying.

like it upsets me that my run is upsetting you, I know that's an easy thing to say but it's true. I'm not going in to give anyone a bad time, I genuinely am enjoying the game, but I realise that these things will affect the videos for a lot of people.

I'm genuinely sorry.

But, like, this is why I'm so against playing an RPG, because this is exactly what is going to happen. I am not good with text and with item management and whatnot. There's a reason why I button throuhg text in like wordy smbx levels and whatnot. I lose patience really quickly with those. Again, I know this is not an excuse but this is a case where my personality will strongly oppose the needs of a game.

I guess what got me to respond up there was you saying I was putting in less effort than before. This is not true. I'm trying my best, but these kind of things are beyond my comfort area so I have to 'try' harder.

Like yeah in the thread peeps are telling me things but I'm so used to have to dodge around spoilers that I legit did miss good information. Again, it's not an excuse, it's just what happened but it's legit my fault.

I'm sorry man.
Alice

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:But, like, this is why I'm so against playing an RPG, because this is exactly what is going to happen. I am not good with text and with item management and whatnot. There's a reason why I button throuhg text in like wordy smbx levels and whatnot. I lose patience really quickly with those. Again, I know this is not an excuse but this is a case where my personality will strongly oppose the needs of a game.
If you really can't do it even for one game then I'd very strongly recommend rejecting requests for games where it'd be an issue even if it's something that your Patreon supporters are requesting honestly. When story is a fairly big part of a game and the game can get wordy then it's going to mar the experience for a lot of people to have that important part of the game written off like that. That was also my single biggest complaint about DT3 as well. And in both cases it had made me enjoy the lp far less than I should have to the point of legitimately ending videos in complete frustration.
I guess what got me to respond up there was you saying I was putting in less effort than before. This is not true. I'm trying my best, but these kind of things are beyond my comfort area so I have to 'try' harder.
It honestly was the impression I was getting from you when people keep giving you advice like the store thing and it takes you so long to get it or that bit at the end of this last video when it would've been a lot better to just go back to the previous save real quickly. And just so I'm clear here: I know I've been a pain so far with this lp but I'm definitely not doing this just to shit on your work or anything. I may be overly blunt about it or maybe even harsh at times but I'm bringing it up because I do believe it's a legitimate issue and would rather it be considered rather than potentially doing more harm to your channel than good. And those who tend to be most active in your lp threads tend to all too frequently defend your every action even if it is an issue.
Like yeah in the thread peeps are telling me things but I'm so used to have to dodge around spoilers that I legit did miss good information. Again, it's not an excuse, it's just what happened but it's legit my fault.
I haven't really seen this being an issue here in the thread at least. Everything that I recall that was a legitimate spoiler had been tagged as such. So it probably isn't too much of a worry in this case.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I'm glad we've had this exchange, honestly, haha.

Like I'm serious here, I WILL try my best to be better at this. It's a blind spot for me and it's something I want to be better at. Just... don't expect me to change over night, but I'm giving my best shot.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I've got nothing to say about how he's playing, but
Alice wrote:comment about views on rhe Dust videos being less than the last B-side
Is that really the case though? Many of the HLD videos barely broke 1000 views. It could just be a general trend that people seem to prefer raocow's Mario videos of his non-Mario videos (since that's where he excels). Could also be a time-of-day thing too, as his morning videos tend to have almost double the views that his evening videos do.
Alice

Post by Alice »

S.N.N. wrote:Is that really the case though? Many of the HLD videos barely broke 1000 views. It could just be a general trend that people seem to prefer raocow's Mario videos of his non-Mario videos (since that's where he excels). Could also be a time-of-day thing too, as his morning videos tend to have almost double the views that his evening videos do.
It actually does seem to be the case. HLD started with 3400 views on the first video then dropped to half that in the second. After that it generally decreased to as low as about a thousand with the finale having ~360 more views than the second to last video. From what I saw though the vast majority of those views were within the first 24-36 hours. Dust's first episode was only 2600 views and has steadily dropped since then to the point where the video before last still (edit: Actually the video before that. Episode 8 from two days ago) isn't even above 1000 views. Admittedly I don't pay an enormous amount of attention to raocow's video views for the most part but having a video under a thousand views after two days definitely stands out as unusual.
Incidentally the VLDC9 video just passed the last Dust video shortly before I went to check exact numbers for this post. It definitely usually takes a fair bit longer than 5 hours for that to happen. That usually happens closer to the time the next video for the B-side is uploaded from what I've seen.
raocow wrote:I'm glad we've had this exchange, honestly, haha.

Like I'm serious here, I WILL try my best to be better at this. It's a blind spot for me and it's something I want to be better at. Just... don't expect me to change over night, but I'm giving my best shot.
Thanks for listening to my probably too harsh and rambly complaints.
Last edited by Alice 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Honestly blasting through that text was pretty hilarious just because of how comically impatient you were to wrap up the video lmao
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

let raocow keep playing the game how he wants to lol

but someone tell him that yellow backgrounds on the map mean shops please he already looked at this on the map screen and then completely forgot it and it's driving me insane
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
dustsuke

Post by dustsuke »

Honestly I did kind of zone out and miss half of what people were saying in Mudpot myself.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

tbh if a lp of a game is bothering you that much, it might be better for your sanity to just drop it
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

Alice wrote:those who tend to be most active in your lp threads tend to all too frequently defend your every action even if it is an issue.
Then allow me, a lurker, to offer my two cents.

I get that it's annoying when an LPer makes your favorite game look bad, but you're treating this like it's the special olympics and raocow is mooning the audience. If raocow doesn't like part of the game (tedious Blomb-filled level design, too much text) he shouldn't have to force enthusiasm and pretend these issues don't exist, like you're apparently accusing the Talkhausers of doing in this thread. I remember vaguely liking this game more than I expected when I played it, and wondering why no one nagged me to play it, but it's far from perfect

Also it's pretty typical for views to drop off dramatically after Part 1, that's why the biggest gaming channels never finish ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

unless it has "Five Nights" in the title
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

NegativeZeroZ wrote:unless it has "Five Nights" in the title
So what you are saying is that raocow should play Five Nights at Wario's?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage