(shouting)

Horikawa Plays Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Horikawa Let's Plays Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Ep 10 out!)

Post by Ignoritus »

Horikawa Otane wrote:It definitely had some AMAZINGLY fun bosses (on one awful, awful, awful one)
Why all the Lupiar hate? :(
Ignoritus
O◡O

Re: Horikawa Let's Plays Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Ep 10 out!)

Post by Ignoritus »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:It definitely had some AMAZINGLY fun bosses (on one awful, awful, awful one)
Why all the Lupiar hate? :(
She felt like total RNG to me... Though your stream does show me some maybe strategies, idk...
I think I mentioned at one point on my stream, I think Lupiar works a lot better without the whole "no hits" thing. She's not really at all unfair in the context of being able to take a hit, just a fun sort of duel battle. The problem with no hits and Lupiar is that beating her without taking any hit involves being SUPER defensive, as you have to account for the possibility of ANY of her moves coming out at any given moment. And of course, the more you stall out the fight the greater your chances of getting hit by sheer human error increase, so naturally it's a harsh tradeoff.

Closest parallel is Fennel, but while I think Fennel requires much better timing to avoid her attacks, her vulnerability to arrows means you can still do damage while staying far enough away to properly respond to her attacks.
Combat Lobster
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Horikawa Let's Plays Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (FINISHED!)

Post by Combat Lobster »

Lupiar is piss easy once you realize that, outside of the right hook, she leaves herself open to counterattacks a lot. That and sticking to ground combat works far better than trying to chain a air attack into a stun.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It seemed like the Lupiar fight was balanced around the idea that if you were trying to perfect her, you would have a wealth of fairly strong items at your disposal (since you're probably going for 100% items) and be using them to make the challenge more manageable. Horikawa's approach of getting all the items but then not wanting to use them if they were too strong made the LP more interesting, but it probably brought out the worst in that fight in a way that was maybe not intended.

I think that is actually a really interesting concept for a game that includes optional upgrades. Some of the upgrades can mow through bosses and make them considerably easier, but then you have a boss that would not normally be all that hard who becomes much harder if you want to get her bonus item. It gives you a chance to use the items you got in a non-game-breaking way and preserve the challenge of the game for people who play in different ways. If only one boss is designed that way, though, it will suffer from being a frustrating difficulty spike like what Horikawa experienced even if it is interesting, and there is also the risk of training the player that some items are too unfair to be fun to use before they get to a fight where they actually are fair.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Item balancing seems to be a tricky thing to design around. It was still somewhat better done than how it was on the third one. Second and first game did not really have an item system like this, and it is interesting how it developed from game to another. Having them as reward for perfecting bosses was a great way to make people challenge themselves. Also having both reusable and passive items worked mostly pretty well, and made the game feel more darksouls-like. I wonder if the next one will go further into that direction (I don't think equipment and crafting would work in too well personally), or if they will try some different direction. I'm also still a bit mixed if I preferred the open world of the second and 4th game, or the more linear ride of the other two.
Telamon
TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.

Post by Telamon »

Finally, the Hatoful Boyfriend LP we've all been asking for!
Willhart
Banned

Re: Horikawa Plays MaGMML (Make a Good Mega Man Level) - Ep 1 Out!

Post by Willhart »

Hah. Versus Pewdiepie was on a completely different level. I would have been very surprised, if it was somehow outclassed by something.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

PIZZPtoGO
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

The thing I am more surprised about in 19th place is that you confused "a rush job" with a "Rush job" in that person's review (unless you knew about making a pun there), but yeah, there's some lack of quality control with that level with all the disappearing blocks underneath enemies and sort of random nature with the solid blocks.
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

raocow wrote:PIZZPtoGO
Finally, the answer of what to eat for dinner!
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Horikawa Otane wrote:I mean, it's no Papa Don's, but I guess it's okay.
Just don't go on 50% off night, lest it seem to cheap for what's-her-prick.
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Post by Kukironosuke »

I feel like with rank 19 level maybe the invisible ladders/pitfalls are sprites that failed to load correctly, or that's what I would hope in the situation, or maybe the author was really just brutish at game design
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Post by Truhan »

My first thought at seeing the title was literally "Make a Good 2050."
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Playing the game too, and hoo boy are there some stinkers here.

Okay, who decided to make the overly long, punishing, confusing computer balooner their favorite level?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Kukironosuke wrote:I feel like with rank 19 level maybe the invisible ladders/pitfalls are sprites that failed to load correctly, or that's what I would hope in the situation, or maybe the author was really just brutish at game design
Because of the way things work in the editor, when you place certain enemies in the level they'll more or less overlap with the ground they're standing on. The level maker most likely had activated the (usually more helpful) option to delete anything that overlaps with a newly placed sprite, placed enemies which accidentally deleted the ground beneath them and thus created every hole, then submitted without ever testing. A very unfortunate, but understandable mistake.

...as for the invisible ladders and invisible solid platforms, they're anyone's guess.

Also, as I side note, it's kind of hilarious how the reason Horikawa though this was only one judge's least favorite level was because so many of us hated it that our names couldn't all fit on the same line.
I don't really get it but okay
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Grounder wrote:Playing the game too, and hoo boy are there some stinkers here.

Okay, who decided to make the overly long, punishing, confusing computer balooner their favorite level?
Every contest has one level chosen as a favorite that is exceptionally baffling. *cough*MaGLX2*cough*
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I saw a 100% speedrun on Momodora 2 today, and I have to say I had forgotten how many different enemies that game had. Also the ending was the most positive in the series. A very happy one.
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

A level that's the least favorite for four out of five judges.
Good start, I see.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

8bitgamer123 wrote:A level that's the least favorite for four out of five judges.
Good start, I see.
Fun fact that I heard of from when GeminiLaser streamed this game.
It was actually the least favourite for all five judges, but Duvi requested to change his to a later level if the other four also chose City War.
They did. You'll see where Duvi moved his to later.
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Quick Man Hell that is.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The last least favorite must be in some later world then. I also like how the references to other fan games have been implemented so far. I wonder if there will be any I recognize. Probably at least from one series.
Kukironosuke
You can call me Kuki
First name: Travis
Pronouns: he/him/kirbys

Post by Kukironosuke »

my reaction to levels such as the quickening, i feel like gravity orb isn't "breaking the level" i feel like its the intended method of completing the level

but then again there isn't very much in terms of special weapon recovery
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Kukironosuke wrote:my reaction to levels such as the quickening, i feel like gravity orb isn't "breaking the level" i feel like its the intended method of completing the level

I legitimately have no idea what other solution there could be in the room with the wind and top enemies.

Did any of the other judges figure it out?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Telamon

Post by Telamon »

Kukironosuke wrote:my reaction to levels such as the quickening, i feel like gravity orb isn't "breaking the level" i feel like its the intended method of completing the level

Yeah, I'd love to see a way to beat that without gravity orb, but it wouldn't surprise me if there is one, just based on what I know of Zyglorox's approach.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Every time I see Quick Man lasers, I sigh. Ha-ha. At least you don't instantly lose on entering a room though, so it has that going for it.