Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

The second SMBX collab!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Post by SAJewers »

ztarwuff wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Did ANMT for you.
Oh, I see what happened. Was it the brackets in the file name? I opened up the file I created and found it played perfectly, but wouldn't play perfectly in the PGE.
Just looked at ANMT, and it seems to work fine for Me in the PGE Editor.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Griflion wrote:not quite finished version of my first level: a stroll through the forest https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/702 ... forest.zip
For your first level, this is quite decent. Few suggestions:
  • In the first section, you should add walls on either side of the water, so you don't fall through
  • Don't overuse music changes. Try to stick to only a one or 2 of songs for a level. I would make section 3's music the same as section 1 and 5.
  • The above is compounded by the fact that each section is quite short. Since you plan on doing more to this, then definitely prioritize extending each section over adding more.
  • In section 4, the skinny green pipe needs some changes. First, your plant NPC needs to face the other directon to correctly work. Second, you need to move it up 1 block, otherwise you'll glitch through the wall if you duck into the gap between the pie and the ? block.
  • You only put in 4 dragon coins, but you probably know that.
For a first level, this is a lot better than most first levels that get submitted.I'm interested in how it ends up turning out, as you work on it; keep going with it.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Hey, if anyone wants to go playtest some levels, there's a few unfinished levels that have been posted. You don't need to be an official reviewer or anything, as long as you're giving constructive criticism.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

gameguy888 wrote:ping
Hazy Maze Cave by gameguy888 [Approved?]

I was told that this level was apparently WIP and not actually submitted, so....either way, here's the video.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

A Stroll through the Forest is a nice, easy first level of yours. I like it.

Though I don't think there's any place left for it in Episode 2 as the only two open level spots are in the temple ssection of world 3 which is temples in the desert.
So it's probably going to end up in Episode 3.
[ img ]http://www.loadthegame.com/wp-content/u ... 4jun14.jpg[/ img ]

Night comes and with it terrible horrors.

The hunt begins!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If I don't hear from the 2 people who've claimed the spots in World 3, then I'll probably shuffle a few levels to fit it in.
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

I really hope that doesn't happen. I always thought that there's really no rush in completing this project. I mean, most levels are already done for the game. It's missing boss levels and the towns as well as the intro levels, but as far as normal levels go it's almost done except for these two levels. I'm sure there will be two people who will make temple levels, I'm 100% sure. But I wouldn't just out right delete these two levels. I feel there is no rush and with all these wonderful contributions I'm positive that someone will work on them. :) And if you reach out to people and ask a few ones like "Hey we're still missing two normal levels with a temple theme!" I'm sure two people would agree to make them.

The hunt begins!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

My main concern is that I haven't heard or seen anything from those 2 in a bit, not even a screenshot or an upload of what they currently have, so I have no idea if they still have plans to make those levels. I really don't want to have to wait on two levels that I have no idea of their status, if one or two other people are willing to make something right now, or have something in the pipeline with which there's a better idea of it's status.

Same with the boss levels. I'd rather take someones' level where they gives updates and screenshots, and posts their level to get feedback from time to time, over someone who claims something, then goes dark for a month or two (or more) before posting a final, completed level.

This is one of the good things ASMBXT did right that we've sorts lost, and looks to have been an integral part of ASMT's development, and I'd to try and go back to that.
Slit08

Re: Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

Post by Slit08 »

True, but still since you have worlds with a certain theme in this episode I wouldn't suffle in a forest level in the desert-temple world. I mean, you can still go back to the old ASMBXT structure for the third episode and have non-themed worlds where you'll end up having a pool of levels and put them together to worlds based on their difficulty. That's the best way to go if you rather try to focus on this philosophy, which is fine.

But since Episode 2 has these themed worlds in the end I think the remaining open or not developed levels should have this theme. A world 3 level should take place in a desert or in a temple in the desert.

So if these two persons do not show up you can just open them up for anyone to work on and say: hey these two slots are open, who's willing to make a level? And with rather "big names" like you, Pyro, FrozenQuills, Holy etc. you can be sure that the level will be finished. :)

So yeah I'd open them up for anyone to work on if these people don't report to you within a week or so or discuss internally who of the more prominent designers would make them (heck, maybe you would like to make one of these two levels yourself :P).

Also as I said before in my oppinion this game doesn't need to be finsihed as soon as possible. It's still early 2016 and even if you aim for a 2016 release there's still a lot of months left. I think the best fangames are those that take time to develop and not be rushed. :)

Sorry for me being a bit stubborn about this. I'm just a hard defender of the "keep to your world themes" philosophy.:P And in the end it's just my oppinion on the matter.

Yeah.... :)

The hunt begins!
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Well, I wouldn't put it in World 3, I'd probably put it in World 1, then move a few levels around to keep the # of levels per world correct.

If they don't show any sings of anything by the 10th, then we'll just take the first 1 or 2 levels that's submitted as final, and shuffle levels around to keep the # of levels per world correct.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Post by ztarwuff »

Of the World 1 Levels, Willhart's Welcoming Season is a prime candidate for World 3. You can easily interpret its structures as being the ruins of a temple.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

My original Idea was to move Second Longest Tree to World 8, then Night Light Fright into the empty spot in World 9, but if skullduggery is gonna fit into World 9 now, then that might be a better option (again, assuming we have to do this).
Slit08

Post by Slit08 »

But moving a world 1 (!!) level into world 8, the final regular world? Wouldn't that be a bit extreme?

The hunt begins!
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Friendly Dictator wrote:I updated SKULLDUGGERY. I changed the lava for some parts into player blocks which allow you to get back up and try again.
Um... still a few problems with it, but the core level is fine now.

ACCEPTED

In the second section, the third vertical pillar of lava can be a potential problem. Sometimes, the skullrafts tend to impart horizontal motion to the player. I found myself being carried straight into the lava even though I landed on the leftmost edge of the raft. I personally don't think that's fair, but others might disagree with me. Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much because it's so close to the midpoint.

I'm not entirely sure you need the 1-up beets anymore. Ask somebody else about that.

Might want to consider adding more powerups to the level. Maybe just the one or two in the second half.

For now, just wait to see if somebody else picks up on the same points in the QA phase.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

ztarwuff wrote:For now, just wait to see if somebody else picks up on the same points in the QA phase.
We really could use more people playtesting levels. Maybe we need to put a call out for people to go through some levels and play them, find bugs, and give some more constructive criticism.
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

ztarwuff wrote:In the second section, the third vertical pillar of lava can be a potential problem. Sometimes, the skullrafts tend to impart horizontal motion to the player. I found myself being carried straight into the lava even though I landed on the leftmost edge of the raft. I personally don't think that's fair, but others might disagree with me. Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much because it's so close to the midpoint.
Yeah, I noticed that. I'm not sure what to do about that. Because if I lower the lava pillar so the skulls don't run into it, they keep moving and that makes it harder to grab them.
EDIT: This could work:
ztarwuff

Post by ztarwuff »

Friendly Dictator wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:In the second section, the third vertical pillar of lava can be a potential problem. Sometimes, the skullrafts tend to impart horizontal motion to the player. I found myself being carried straight into the lava even though I landed on the leftmost edge of the raft. I personally don't think that's fair, but others might disagree with me. Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much because it's so close to the midpoint.
Yeah, I noticed that. I'm not sure what to do about that. Because if I lower the lava pillar so the skulls don't run into it, they keep moving and that makes it harder to grab them.
Or just replace it with a normal block.
Friendly Dictator
rad
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Friendly Dictator »

ztarwuff wrote:
Friendly Dictator wrote:
Or just replace it with a normal block.
...that would work too, whoops
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:I would be able to test a few levels if my time becomes more available to you all....
Rusbojis wrote: I'll probably start reviewing levels once I get done with a few projects for school. I know I've already reviewed Validon98's Shrine Under the Sea, but I need to revisit it because I forgot what my problems with it were.
[quote="memnarch"I'd also be somewhat interested in helping test levels, but I don't have a controller for the computer and I wasn't even very good at playing through my own levels for MaGLx, so I don't know if I can help out as much there.[/quote]
pholtos wrote:I guess I could help.
WestonSmith wrote:Looking at my schedule this weekend, I could probably play test a whole heaping spoonful of levels and pretty much give them a pass/fail if it helps.
Voltgloss wrote:I don't have video capability at the moment but I'm happy and interested to prepare written/screenshot reviews.
Willhart wrote:I should have time to start reviewing things this weekend.
Since you all offered to help playtest/review levels, I'm pinging you guys to note that we could use some people to play through some levels, mainly testing levels that have been approved, as well as playing through and giving constructive criticism to unfinished/WIP levels listed on the wiki: http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/A2MBXT_Lev ... WIP_levels

Anyone else here reading this and want to help, feel free.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

I can confirm that I can still help. You may have to wait a few days, and I'll be using a keyboard to test any of them, so keep that in mind.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I'm glad to help out, but two questions:

(1) Is the level order set yet (I'm a firm believer in trying to link levels as best as possible)
(2) How are we coordinating things? Like, if I feel (a) needs to be done to level (x), but the author is AWOL, am I just jumping in and making changes? Because I have a feeling lots of levels will have difficulty problems (since they were assigned by theme).

Anyways, I prob won't be available to help until March, but would like to know
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

1) Outside of 2 levels in world 3 that I have no idea what the status of them are (and the potential need of shuffling a level or 2 around to accept another level in it's place), what's on here is the order: http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/Episode2

2) I'd prefer if the original level author made the changes needed, but if the said person doesn't seem to be active/is AWOL, anyone can feel free to jump in for those levels.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

something broke.

[attachment=0]2016-02-11_14_46_01.png[/attachment]
Attachments
2016-02-11_14_46_01.png
2016-02-11_14_46_01.png (240.62 KiB) Viewed 8571 times
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

...I would be testing a level or a few if I could download that base AMXT file. It's not downloading for me.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:...I would be testing a level or a few if I could download that base AMXT file. It's not downloading for me.
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=A ... lder%2crtf