(shouting)

Episode 2 Level Review and Testing Discussion

The second SMBX collab!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Episode 2 Review Thread

Post by Voltgloss »

ztarwuff wrote:That's alright. Now, I'll have to try and do Desert Dash: Goopa Brigade which also doesn't seem very easy. :oops:
Oh, I remember that one. Very well. I have a review/set of suggestions back in the feedback thread - I don't recall without checking if the level was changed since I last played it?
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

Should I change the Tiniest Castle and Bat An Eye some more or are they fine now?
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Post by GenesisJames »

ztarwuff wrote:
Louiejub wrote:Just going to preface this small comment by saying: I'm sorry that I put you through this. XD

I decided that I'm not going to use this level, and already told SAJewers to remove it. I made this level quite a while ago when I was still getting used to more complicated aspects of the engine (certainly more so than Dark Side Of The Sun and Navel Of The Universe from the previous episode!). I definitely learned a lot since then, and already have a much better and balanced level ready to submit. Looking back on it now, I have to say that the level was pretty bad; no question there. Thanks for the review, nonetheless!

On a side note, as I learned from this level... Lava is a bitch to not use in a cheap way. o.o
That's alright. Now, I'll have to try and do Desert Dash: Goopa Brigade which also doesn't seem very easy. :oops:
That one's more reflexes and memorization. I tried to make it so that you can generally save yourself if you trip up in most situations, but please feel free to recommend some things if you think parts are too unfair. :) I replayed it today and beat it on my first try, but that may just be author bias. And yeah, it was designed of being a somewhat difficult level in mind.

Also, if you want, you can check out an easier level that I made to replace My Heartburn's For You, found here: http://asmbxt.wikia.com/wiki/Castle_Cli ... Wintertime
Last edited by GenesisJames 8 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Voltgloss wrote:
ztarwuff wrote:That's alright. Now, I'll have to try and do Desert Dash: Goopa Brigade which also doesn't seem very easy. :oops:
Oh, I remember that one. Very well. I have a review/set of suggestions back in the feedback thread - I don't recall without checking if the level was changed since I last played it?
oops double post

Anyway, I don't remember seeing your review! I'm not sure which feedback thread you're referring to. If you could tell me where your review is, I'll take a look at it and adjust the level accordingly.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Louiejub wrote:
Voltgloss wrote:
oops double post

Anyway, I don't remember seeing your review! I'm not sure which feedback thread you're referring to. If you could tell me where your review is, I'll take a look at it and adjust the level accordingly.
Actually I just checked myself and it looks like you did already update the level back in November, after receiving feedback (including mine) from September. Which means I'll have to give it another whirl to see how it's changed. :)
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Actually I just checked myself and it looks like you did already update the level back in November, after receiving feedback (including mine) from September. Which means I'll have to give it another whirl to see how it's changed. :)
Ah, cool. Let me know if you think that it needs any further changes.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Wind wrote:Wind-Valtteri's Fortress
My biggest concern with this level is that it seems to be about an admin/mod from the SMBX community (Valtteri), from the perspective of someone who is upset over having been banned by Valtteri (level introduces the setting as the SMBX community, Valterri is the enemy boss, and there is a hall of statues listing people banned by Valtteri, including the level author). I don't know if there is some story or joke behind this that I'm missing, but at least from an outside perspective it just feels awkward and bitter. Also, the hall of statues has someone banned for pedophilia who asks you your age, which probably doesn't really belong in the game.

There is a sign in the level noting that the boss can cause lag on older systems. This happened with me and it was bad enough I couldn't finish the boss, so I can't really comment on that, other than the boss fight being part of the awkward story. The banana snake mini-boss, on the other hand, was pretty amusing.

I thought the level was fine before the story started. Visually it looks good (I'm not sure what the "Overused Graphics Edition" in the link refers to, but it didn't seem to have an impact on the design), the music works well, and there were some interesting challenges. The first jump in the vertical ascent with the helicopter block where there are two roto discs at once is pretty tricky, especially if you are big, although if you are big you can tank the hit and pass it easily.

That room is the most challenging part of the level, but it isn't too long. I think the roto discs don't spawn before the center is on screen, though, which can cause problems with the helicopter block. There are times when the jump up to the next platform looks perfectly safe, but after you jump, a roto disc spawns and starts spinning into the area that looked empty before. It is short enough that after you get ambushed once it should be easy to remember and avoid the next time, at least. Also, there is one point where there are two steps on the left wall where you can stand to jump up to the next part, and both look like they should be safe before you jump up to them. If you land on the higher step, though, a roto disc spawns in a place where it will hit you where you are big and there doesn't seem to be much you can reasonably do to avoid it. If you are small, both steps are safe.

There appears to be an alternate path before going into the vertical ascent room, but I never took it since I got a midpoint before the boss in the other path and then gave up due to lag. I'll try again later to see if the boss works better, or else just restart and go down the other path.

Overall, I'd say this level would be fine if it just cut out the whole Valterri gimmick and ended after the platforming part without any of the hall of statues stuff or Valtteri's battleship sections (the boss doesn't need to be there either). I would probably change a couple minor things in the vertical ascent room, but even as is I think that part would have a place in the game. With the whole story part tacked on, though, I question whether A2XT is the place for that.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Yeah, I figured.

Just played it myself,
and have to agree, it looks nice, the plot contained therein makes it all but unusable for A2XT. Because of that, I'm gonna have to reject it. It got remade where there no plot like that (or the plot was significantly changed).

Ignoritus wrote:ping
Pinging you, so you can have the final say (for reasons). I'll let you be the final reviewer.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

SAJewers wrote:
Pinging you, so you can have the final say (for reasons). I'll let you be the final reviewer.
I feel like the biggest problems here are actually the ones that haven't been voiced. For one, I believe you're looking for brand new content only? This level is actually a rather old submission to one of the earlier SMBX community contests. For two, it's just kind of.... dumb to have it in A2XT? Like, it would be as if I went on the SMBX forums and posted a level about how silly of an admin Rena is. The joke would just be totally missed, which is what I feel like will happen here? Like, if you want to make a level based around inside jokes you probably shouldn't use it in a collab project for a community that's outside the jokes, and then lampshade it at the end. As for anyone actually getting offended, I wouldn't really worry about that. As I said this level is quite old, which also results in a lot of these jokes being incredibly dated. Particularly SMBX United and half of the people in the statue chamber. The level itself is solid, but I feel like for it not to just be "that one weird level" the "plot" should be changed to something more appropriate and less in-jokey in a place that's not "in".
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Mikkofier wrote:Mikkofier-ObstacleCourseInACave.lvl
Good level, if a little basic. It got better towards the end.
  • You could place some more coins and backgrounds to strategic points. It would make the level feel less bare.
[/spoiler]
Markus_E-bear wrote:Markus_E-bear-ResilientNature
Good level. Enjoyed the graphics/structure. Some enemies felt kind of surprising.
  • You could make a branch appear after angering the fleshlord, or place coins there so that the player understands to jump to the ledge above on the first try.
  • You could add some more decorative branches to the trees on section one. It's not necessary though.
[/spoiler]
yesimbill wrote:yesimbill-BlockyInterlude
This level could use some more polish.
  • Midpoint feels lobsided. I kinda wish you extended the last two sections, and made them more interesting.
  • There are bit too many powerups on this level to my taste, especially near the midpoint.
[/spoiler]
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Ignoritus wrote:
SAJewers wrote:
I feel like the biggest problems here are actually the ones that haven't been voiced. For one, I believe you're looking for brand new content only? This level is actually a rather old submission to one of the earlier SMBX community contests. For two, it's just kind of.... dumb to have it in A2XT? Like, it would be as if I went on the SMBX forums and posted a level about how silly of an admin Rena is. The joke would just be totally missed, which is what I feel like will happen here? Like, if you want to make a level based around inside jokes you probably shouldn't use it in a collab project for a community that's outside the jokes, and then lampshade it at the end. As for anyone actually getting offended, I wouldn't really worry about that. As I said this level is quite old, which also results in a lot of these jokes being incredibly dated. Particularly SMBX United and half of the people in the statue chamber. The level itself is solid, but I feel like for it not to just be "that one weird level" the "plot" should be changed to something more appropriate and less in-jokey in a place that's not "in".
well, dude submitted it to here. Why, I have no idea.

Anyway, I'll throw it in the rejected bin.
Wind

Post by Wind »

It was a great way to get lots of criticism, which I appreciate. Might do that again with another level, ha
99% of the avatar made by Enjl
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

PikkaRose - Sky Fleet

Rejecting
The first section is ok, but very lacking visually. It's also a lot of one tile jumps. The second half is kind boring. Also, the midpoint feels lopsided The level just ...happens.

Also, Official Nintendo music is a no-go.
castlepokemetroid

Post by castlepokemetroid »

Can someone please test my level? I need to make sure it's working properly.

It's ShoeZone3

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7lwf0 ... ezone3.lvl

It's an automatic level that I timed at 03:17.33 to complete.

This level was an absolute nightmare to create, due to the insane shell physics. There was at one point six different things that could happen due to the dude kicking the shell around. When I tested it, I touched nothing, but just watched it, but I could test it five times, it does the same thing, I build more level, test it again, then it does something completely different.

I finally got the shells down to two different possibilities, and the level will complete when either possibility happens. It took an unholy number of hours to get it to do that. This level was frustrating beyond belief to work on. I must of tested it more than 300 times.

But I still need someone to try test it on their own computer, to make sure that the level will be able to complete itself.
-castlepokemetroid

I has raomations here
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

castlepokemetroid wrote:Can someone please test my level? I need to make sure it's working properly.

It's ShoeZone3

<span><a href="http://www.mediafire.com/download/7lwf0 ... </a></span>

This level was an absolute nightmare to create, due to the insane shell physics. There was at one point six different things that could happen due to the dude kicking the shell around. When I tested it, I touched nothing, but just watched it, but I could test it five times, it does the same thing, I build more level, test it again, then it does something completely different.

I finally got the shells down to two different possibilities, and the level will complete when either possibility happens. It took an unholy number of hours to get it to do that. This level was frustrating beyond belief to work on. I must of tested it more than 300 times.

But I still need someone to try test it on their own computer, to make sure that the level will be able to complete itself.
4 things:

- Secret exit needs to be a different NPC. You can't use the SMW leek either, since SMBX only recognizes 1 leek per section.
- The "automatic" part of the level doesn't seem to work as Sheath (the Aliens walk to the left), or if you start off with a Sack (you kill the first Alien), Yoshi (you don't kill the furba), or a powerup (obviously, you miss the Trolly). Did work fine as Small Demo and Small Kood.
-Consider adding in some text to the bottom of the screen referencing the previous two shoezones (like shoezone 2 in Ep1).
-This could actually fit a number of different themes, which could give us flexability.

Fix #1 (plus actually submit it) and I'll give it my approval.
Imaynotbehere4long
Gone, but...yeah, pretty much forgotten.

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

castlepokemetroid wrote:Can someone please test my level? I need to make sure it's working properly.
Works for me. I do have two things to mention, though:

1) You have two leeks in the level, but they're both in the same section, so only one will count (but the Leek Sanctuary will still register both leeks). You should do what Timed Platforms On Moving Everything did and replace the second leek with a fake leek in the main section, then place a warp to a duplicate section over the fake leek, which leads to where the actual leek is (don't forget to erase the duplicated first leek if you use SMBX's Clone Section option).

2) The water cubes beside the bottom leek are too large and extend to where the leek is, where there shouldn't be any water.
My SMBX portfolio:
(includes a Sonic 3D Blast styled level.)

SOMEONE ANSWER MY CRY FOR HELP: http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=2026
WasabiJellyfish

Post by WasabiJellyfish »

It's ShoeZone3

I think I saw both possibilities after playing it like 6 times and it works for me!
Personally I'm not a fan of slow automatic levels but this definitely works well and there's a couple of interesting things. Kinda fun to play normally though too.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Imaynotbehere4long wrote:
Works for me. I do have two things to mention, though:

1) You have two leeks in the level, but they're both in the same section, so only one will count (but the Leek Sanctuary will still register both leeks). You should do what Timed Platforms On Moving Everything did and replace the second leek with a fake leek in the main section, then place a warp to a duplicate section over the fake leek, which leads to where the actual leek is (don't forget to erase the duplicated first leek if you use SMBX's Clone Section option).

2) The water cubes beside the bottom leek are too large and extend to where the leek is, where there shouldn't be any water.
Considering we're having an OW, the second leek will have to change to another exit, since you can't denote a secret exit if it's using the same exit as the main exit.
castlepokemetroid

SAJewers wrote:4 things:

- Secret exit needs to be a different NPC. You can't use the SMW leek either, since SMBX only recognizes 1 leek per section.
- The "automatic" part of the level doesn't seem to work as Sheath (the Aliens walk to the left), or if you start off with a Sack (you kill the first Alien), Yoshi (you don't kill the furba), or a powerup (obviously, you miss the Trolly). Did work fine as Small Demo and Small Kood.
-Consider adding in some text to the bottom of the screen referencing the previous two shoezones (like shoezone 2 in Ep1).
-This could actually fit a number of different themes, which could give us flexability.

Fix #1 (plus actually submit it) and I'll give it my approval.
So I need to replace the SMW leek with a different kind of level ending NPC? I never did learn pipe or warp technology. If the ending needs to be on another section, should I add a warp pipe in the sky, or something?

All my levels I ever have done in SMBX have been single section levels, I haven't done more than a single section, since it's immensely confusing for me for some reason. I'm sure it's easy, but I can't even get my head wrapped around using events.

I designed the level to be playable normally without it needing to be automatic, so I'd like to keep the secret exit to promote exploring the level. I've also considered keeping the automatic part a secret, like I did with my Yoshi Island River level for MaGL the first.

Also, what do you mean by text at the bottom of the screen? Should I add a NPC referencing the other shoezones?

I'll submit the level to the Wiki after I get these things resolved. Should I also submit it to the level submission topic? With ShoeZone2, I was under the impression that level submission only counts if it's sent to the Wiki.
-castlepokemetroid

I has raomations here
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Just replace one of the leeks with the Money Bag or Mason Jar.

As for text at the bottom of the screen, see raocow play shoezone 2: https://youtu.be/oZ_uNkx81gI?t=10m21s

Note the text at the bottom. If you can't figure out how to do it, give me the text, and I can throw you a file to throw in your level assets folder.
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023
Pronouns: she/her

Post by snoruntpyro »

castlepokemetroid

It's ShoeZone3

I removed the file, so this link won't work anymore. (I assume)

Here's the updated level

http://www.mediafire.com/download/br5b4 ... ezone3.lvl

Changes:

Changed the level ending NPC
Edited water hitboxes
Made the secret star slightly more difficult (Just added more spikes, nothing else was changed about it, feel free to change it back if it's too much)

I don't mind that some characters won't be able to go through the level automatically. It's still beatable normally, so I'll leave that. I've also dealt too long trying to make this level work without breaking it, so I better leave it before I go insane.

Also, SAJewels, feel free to overlay whatever message you want. I don't mind any changes at all, as long as the automatic portion still works.

I really enjoyed the message for ShoeZone2, so I'm looking forward to ShoeZone3's.

I assume that this is all the changes I need, so I'm going to go submit it to both the topic and the Wiki right now.
-castlepokemetroid

I has raomations here
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

What is our expectation for multiplayer levels? Some of these levels have player 2 starting position, and some don't.
Holy wrote:Holy-Ectoplasmania
Not much to complain.
  • Some of these timings can be a little strict. Have you tested this level with Iris. You might want to filter them if the challenge is too hard for them.
  • The gimmick was unique.
[/spoiler]
InvisibleSandwich wrote:InvisibleSandwich-GoosGym
Not sure if meets standards.
  • The level file should be outside of the level folder. Make sure the music works after the change.
  • THe level feels a bit lackluster, a lot of different enemies, fairly short yet challenging, with little focus (feels like two levels with mix of castle and mansion).
  • I did not see much in terms of huge mistakes in it though.
[/spoiler]
Franky wrote:Franky-Muwha
Definitely a post game difficulty level.
  • Thwomp does not die if you run at it with shell like you would except. Maybe use different npc and remask it? Using the same shell for second Thwomph feels like it's not immediately obvious.
  • Music is definitely fitting and I like the use of graphics and the atmosphere.
  • Work making things more clear, and try to make the hardest parts a little easier and less random. This level is definitely for the post game as it stands, and as such I don't feel like I can judge it as of now.
  • The second half looks a lot shorten than the first. If it's a lot harder than the first half, you might have been better off submitting this to the Kaizo Mario Contest.
[/spoiler]
Last edited by Willhart 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

I'd say stick with the rule from ASMBXT, which was to have a player 2 start point, but not to worry about making the level 2-player compatible.

Also, if you could, can you copy the review (or link to your post) in the respective level page on the wiki, to make it easier to see all reviews for that level? (that is, if you're making a judgement on a submitted level)
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

SAJewers wrote:Also, if you could, can you copy the review (or link to your post) in the respective level page on the wiki, to make it easier to see all reviews for that level? (that is, if you're making a judgement on a submitted level)
I'll try to do this for the levels of which quality I'm fairly sure about from now on.