(shouting)

Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Re: Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Post by Jesuiscontent »

If it's okay to focus his level on goopa shells as much as the goopas themselves, I'd like to sign up to do Garish.

edit : Can I take sublevel 098? It's the Ludwig battle, but we won't need it, right?

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Alex2: It was just in case! Though really, they can still have their full boss fight with their portrait background too. If anything, it's going to be even more 'surprising' if some of them have actual fights that way.

JeSuisContent: Go crazy man!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

proof of concept of what I'm trying to do here

http://youtu.be/pLALAJ7BILU

Basically I'm trying to make the tail 'poof' when it's in full on flight mode. My issue, in a sense, is that sometimes the tail ends up way too high, regardless of how I draw it in the tile. Also, ah, still puzzling out where some the tiles actually go or actually do, hah~

If anyone wants to play with these, here's the bin file
GFX32.zip
raocow

Post by raocow »

I think it'd be funny, and in my mind's eye it 'works', though at the time I didn't expect the palette available to 'the cape' was this limited (which honestly I should have expected though, it's been too long since I've been playing around in smw graphics I guess).

The real issue that was bothering me, and that I wanted to verify, was during the 'falling down' there's no way I can have the tail low enough.

I've also considered changing the cape to a giant leaf, which would fit 'better' but I don't know if you can change its palette like that, and if it's just yellow it'd look nearly the same regardless.

I guess in the end, I just wonder if we could 'change' the cape since it always looks so... 'blatantly smw', I guess. I dunno.
raocow

Post by raocow »

well wouldn't the palette need to be changed in the game itself?
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

alex2 wrote:I don't understand how this could work in a way that doesn't look bad. Why do you want a raccoon tail, anyway? It didn't really make sense in SMB3, and it doesn't fit any better here.
Well the cape doesn't make any sense either.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I honestly think that raccoon tail looks really good. I think a few tiles should just be optimized, and then we can lower it for the falling one as long as that is possible.
I guess other people object, but I really like it!
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

alex2 wrote:We're using a patch to be able to change Demo's palette and all that good stuff. You're not able to do it in Lunar Magic, since Mario's palette is hardcoded.
...wait, what? Yes, you can edit the player palette in Lunar Magic; you just need to do so in a level with custom palettes disabled.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Could I take Nevada for the sibling fight?

Here's my idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFltdVBo ... e=youtu.be

Basically, the sibling has Demo trapped in a jungle setting. Demo must confront Nevada, but she must first escape from this jungle prison! I was thinking that some of the sprites could be jungle themed, like Charlie could be a gorilla, we keep the magikoopa (cuz he's a giraffe), and we add some other critters too.

I just need one thing: make the Nevada sprite.
She'll be a lakitu that's invincible, and throws something like fireballs, spinys or coconuts?
Also, she needs to be 32x48 because that's how big the original drawing of Nevada is.

And the final confrontation will include the background drawn by raocow.

What do you think?
Last edited by Schnurmanator 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Okay, then maybe it's just like Cup's level where you run through the sublevel avoiding enemies until you reach the end.

This would help the level a ton cuz most of the problems stem from the ye old custom lakitu sprite haha
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I honestly think that would be a great idea. Having these levels still be themed fleshes out the sibling, and that is awesome. Imagining a jungle setting with raocow's abstract background gets me excited. Please, I'd love to see what you can make.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

alex2 wrote:So why does Roy's patch even exist?
For having different player palettes in different levels. You can edit the global player palettes just fine in Lunar Magic, but you can't use custom palettes for them.
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Could someone please make a gorilla graphic swap for Charging Chuck a.k.a. Charlie?

EDIT: Don't need the graphic swap anymore.
anonymousbl00dlust

Post by anonymousbl00dlust »

I've been working on the opening cinematic for the final level, and one of the things involved has been a portal/wormhole-type object that moves slowly across the screen. It's essentially just a circular window that masks any layer 1 information that it covers. I set up the foreground and background of the current area on layer 1, then set up the same foreground with a different background (the area the wormhole leads to) on layer 2.

The effect is pretty neat, but it needs more graphical embellishment in order to look right. I started working on an aurora graphic that will surround the portal, which I will either implement as a sprite (there are no other sprites onscreen so I can use lots of tiles) or as layer 3. Here's what I've got:
(Notice that almost 3/4 of the tiles are duplicates; I just made one corner of the image, flipped it around, and mended the edges together. It should all fit on one GFX page)

I'm having some trouble animating it, so if someone wouldn't mind helping out I'd appreciate it. I'd also really like feedback on how to improve it while still using only 4 colors.
alex2 wrote:It's all a matter of taste.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Helping with something like that is way out of my area of expertise, but I just wanted to say that it looks amazing.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

To maintain a small palette, use dithering!
Create areas of two colors aligned in a checkered manner to make it look like a consistent area of a color inbetween (e. g. the shaded edges of my avatar)

You could also use that to create a pseudo-semi-transparent glow around it, by checkering colored and empty pixels.
anonymousbl00dlust

Paralars wrote:To maintain a small palette, use dithering!
Create areas of two colors aligned in a checkered manner to make it look like a consistent area of a color inbetween (e. g. the shaded edges of my avatar)

You could also use that to create a pseudo-semi-transparent glow around it, by checkering colored and empty pixels.
Hmm... I don't really know if I'm experienced enough to make that look nice. I don't want to use many more tiles (remember, it's going to be a sprite), and there is a limited amount of space for me to work with to blend the colors. I'll give it a try though.

The main trouble is still going to be animation, because for it to look fluid each one of those little flare-arm things is going to need to cycle somehow (either by growing, shrinking, swaying left/right, or some combination of the three). I tried making another frame but I couldn't get it to look right.

Gotta keep trying though!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

One simple, classy animation that could work would be:
You redraw that ring in a way so that it has about the same amount of variation everywhere.
(For example, you could open your ring in any advanced graphics program, make it semi-transparent and draw a new ring on a new layer on top of that, putting tendrils/arms only inbetween the original ring's tendrils/arms.)

Let's say the original ring is frame A, the variation is frame B.
You could just slowly animate between these two frames to get a somewhat retro Metroid-ish look,
or do something like A-B-Aflipped-Bflipped to make it look like more animation frames.

I hope you see where I'm going.
anonymousbl00dlust

Oh, I see what you mean. Thanks! I'll try that! ;)
anonymousbl00dlust

asdf

The school quarter ended and I finally have time to get back to work on this. I spent part of the day making another frame for the portal using paralars' method, but it didn't work out very well.

Screenshot:
layer2transparent.png
the animation looks really jerky, and I'm just not very happy with the overall look of it. The tendrils don't stand out enough at all.

I also need to figure out a way to actually draw that many sprite tiles. I may use cluster sprites if it comes to that, but I really, REALLY don't want to do it that way.

Again, comment's and suggestions/help are appreciated.
anonymousbl00dlust

alex2 wrote:Just draw the tiles instead of making them all sprites.
If you mean draw sprite tiles, that's what I'm doing. I was just concerned about how many I had to draw.

If you mean that I should put it on a fg/bg layer, I can't.
anonymousbl00dlust

alex2 wrote:I would love to hear why you can't.
short answer: they're being used

long answer: layer 1 is delegated to the foreground/false background of the starting area. layer 2 is delegated to the foreground/false background of the area the wormhole leads to. Window masks are being used to cut a hole in layer one, forming the center of the portal. The sprite is 4-color plus transparency, meaning I can't use layer 3 to do the job.
anonymousbl00dlust

Okay, I need opinions. Which one is better:
animation1.gif
animation1.gif (12.09 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
animation2.gif
animation2.gif (16.32 KiB) Viewed 7756 times
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I think I like the first one better. But they are both really good.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I also prefer the first one, because I think the colors on the second clash too much.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.