(shouting)

A2MT Discussion: OW, Bosses, and Gimmicks

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Chdata

Re: A2MT Discussion: OW, Bosses, and Gimmicks

Post by Chdata »

raocow shouldn't be the only one who knows what The Artist looks like :v

As far as I know noone drew something for him yet though.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

That's one of those things where I honestly can't tell if he's being serious or not! :o

Not saying that raocow is the only one that should know what The Artist looks like, I'm just assuming that if he has something specific in mind, he may not have shared it yet (unless he is in fact serious with that statement).
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I say make all the threads you want, we could always sticky an index (also it's not like there's a billion posts flying around now anyway)
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah go for it.
You really are the only one working on bosses right now, and having the discussion for artist and science separated sounds fine.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh right, I haven't heard about that one for a while.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

The sprites thread was for bosses too but it appears not all our bosses will just be sprites now.

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Won't a lot less people play your boss if it doesn't work on their emulators?
After working hard on it, don't you want as many people to play and enjoy it as possible?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

But even such a large group of people?
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

alex2 wrote:a final boss that is somewhat decent.
Touhou is somewhat tough for causal players to beat. Breasts are somewhat appreciated by straight men. Gunshot wounds somewhat hurt.

I have to agree with alex2 on the emulator. It's worth getting a better emulator, so I will be getting a emulator just because of this. That would be true even if I had no part in it's making.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:It works on Snes9x 1.52/1.53 and bsnes. I haven't tested it on any of the more obscure emulators.
It's really more of the emulators creator job to make sure it works when you have already made it function with so many popular emulators. How many SNESes did Nintendo make their games compatible with?

Don't worry to much about save-state font with science either. It's cool enough with popular ones copied, and I can't imagine the obsurce emulator people will be in anyway offended.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

alex2 wrote:I don't care who plays it, in all honesty. I just want this hack to have a final boss that is somewhat decent.
And yet you're basing it on a gameplay mechanic that has nothing to do with the gameplay of the rest of the game. Most people hate that in a final boss, which should be the culmination of all you've done in the game thus far.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Ometeotl wrote:
alex2 wrote:I don't care who plays it, in all honesty. I just want this hack to have a final boss that is somewhat decent.
And yet you're basing it on a gameplay mechanic that has nothing to do with the gameplay of the rest of the game. Most people hate that in a final boss, which should be the culmination of all you've done in the game thus far.
All we've done in the game so far? Jumping for the win!
Wyatt

Post by Wyatt »

Alex, does the final boss still lag in zsnes if you do the per2exec trick? If you or anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about, changing the line "per2exec=100" to "per2exec=150" in zsnesw.cfg eliminates most lag, provided you don't load a savestate made before doing the change. If this does fix the problem, we should just explain that in a readme or something.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
alex2 wrote:It works on Snes9x 1.52/1.53 and bsnes. I haven't tested it on any of the more obscure emulators.
It's really more of the emulators creator job to make sure it works when you have already made it function with so many popular emulators. How many SNESes did Nintendo make their games compatible with?

Don't worry to much about save-state font with science either. It's cool enough with popular ones copied, and I can't imagine the obsurce emulator people will be in anyway offended.
I'm fairly sure Nintendo made their games compatible with the SNES, not the other way around.

However, certain emulators should conform to standards.

Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Also, I think functional progress should be shown even if it isn't finished just to see what it's like, especially before a big decision like that. I've never seen anything from you besides images. All in all I'm fine with forcing emulators.

If I remember correctly the way to tell the difference between emulators was to either look at unused SRAM or maybe even RAM counts.

I think ZSNES defaults to 55 01010101 while SNES9X defaults to FF 11111111 or vice versa. Something you can easily find out anyway.

Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

Chdata wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:My words

I'm fairly sure Nintendo made their games compatible with the SNES, not the other way around.
My point was they didnt have to make thier games work on multiple systems, so alex shouldnt worry about obsure emulators.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Which obscure emulators?
Regardless of that, an analogy comparing emulators to multiple systems just doesn't hold up. It would be comparable to the Game Boy Color through Game Boy Advance SP, you know, if any of those consoles didn't have backwards compatibility.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:A decision needs to be made: whether or not to fix this issue, or to just leave it. Normally, I would say that something should work on all emulators before it's considered for a game. The reason I'm hesitant to fix the problem is because of how much work it would entail.
What I was saying was mostly based on this one part. Let's just forget this for now.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

It should work on whatever tasvideos.org considers their current standard.
why? because elitism. (just throwing this out there, idgaf)
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

That may be so, I just mean that if it doesn't run on lsnes, that things and stuff.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

sounds like a reasonable thing to say/do.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Reading those huge ass posts reminded me of something. You mentioned lagging every other frame. A lot of shmups have hit detection coding where each frame only half of the bullets have their collisions detected. Next frame, the other half are processed, and so on. This usually doesn't cause problems unless the velocities are so fast that you can travel through an entire bullet in one frame. It does wildly reduce the amount of processing per frame though. (You can also do this with bullet DRAWING, but then they flash of course since they're only displayed every other frame). Maybe that could help you somehow? Either way, good work on all this stuff no one has else has the ability/motivation to do.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

alex2 wrote:That was a huge pain in my ass. Now I can move on to more productive things, like actually programming spellcards.
Oh noes! Wait. It that... good news? I forgot the correct reaction.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Alex wanted me to tell you guys that he will not have access to a computer for a while, so he unfortunately won't be around.
I guess this will just be a hold up for the boss he is working on, so that will just be finished much later I guess.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

edit
Last edited by Awakenyourmind 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.