(shouting)

Treasure Chest and stuff

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Luigisopa

Re: Treasure Chest and stuff

Post by Luigisopa »

First I want to say that it is really great what you guys are doing for the game.
Now I got a little problem though:
I played through a couple of levels in the baserom and found some chests. But my level is missing a treasure ... I think back in the time it wasn't necessary for clearing. Now of course I would like to add one!
I may be in the wrong place to ask here? but: Can anyone help me to include the treasure I made?

Here it is:
frog.gif
I know it looks kinda funny ... ^^ It's supposed to be my avatar... funny enough it seems to look like a "frog" or a "frogs head" (reversible figure) xD. Anyway Can somebody import it somehow? I made it with paint, 16x16 and used that blue color.
Thanks a lot!
-Luigisopa
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

I think Limepie handles the importing and stuff. There's also another thread for it in this forum (stage prop list), but I'm sure it will be noticed and inserted properly.

btw. I like the image you made, but please also add:
-name (<= 16 characters)
-value (<= 12 characters)
-description (2 lines of <= 26 characters)
Luigisopa

Post by Luigisopa »

Diortem wrote:I think Limepie handles the importing and stuff. There's also another thread for it in this forum (stage prop list), but I'm sure it will be noticed and inserted properly.
Thank you very much. Here is the other information:
- [edit:]name: mucous frog
-value: 113 euros
-description:
A Latin frog that tastes
like fish dipped in soda.

the level is "Down To Green"
... btw...
ORIGINAL - Kopie_00002.jpg
this is going to change right?^^
Thank You,
-Luigisopa
Last edited by Luigisopa 12 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Thanks for pointing out that sign; I'll get that fixed.

Also, I've taken note of your chest.

It may not necessarily be in the next baserom but it will eventually get in.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

One small note: Your item name has 17 characters, you need to shorten it by at least one (whitespaces also count of course).
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

And there we are back again for another update. I'm working on the treasure room and managed to upload the treasure tiles directly into VRAM without needing extra (Ex)GFX and/or Map16 tiles.

Initially, I had the idea to upload the gfx over some rope tiles to allow you to walk through the entire treasure area. By pressing 'up' in front of any tile the chest message for the corresponding level will show up. Here's an initial screenshot what I got so far (don't mind the incompleted graphics too much at this point):

An empty hoard, with only level 105 placeholder triggered in SRAM:
A2MT007.png
A2MT007.png (3.27 KiB) Viewed 7587 times
All treasures shown in spoilers below:
A2MT008.png
A2MT008.png (9.58 KiB) Viewed 7587 times
kil3

Post by kil3 »

This looks amazing. Better than I envisioned it.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Thanks. I already submitted the working version to Limepie so it should be in the next patch. I think I didn't bother to mention already that there's a cursor to allow you to select any of the treasures and show the corresponding message. I've also hid Demo and froze the player so you don't hear any silly sounds while in the room. At the moment one has to press 'select' to leave the subarea. I works like shown below:
cursor is blinkin on the left to show the current treasure selected.
cursor is blinkin on the left to show the current treasure selected.
A2MT009.png (6.76 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
Now if I could just get the status bar out of the picture... The problem is that setting the level mode to $1 during level init as some threads suggest at smwcentral the HUD doesn't disappear, while it should corresponding to the code I read in all.log. Bowser's battle mode ($C1) does the trick, but then layers 1/2 don't work as normal.
kil3

Post by kil3 »

Isn't there a RAM address to adjust what scanline the status bar IRQ fires on? I recall something like that. If you set it to 0, the statusbar shouldn't show up at all. Unfortunately SMWC modified/deleted a bunch of info from their ram map so I can't seem to find that anymore...
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

The problem is that setting the level mode to $1 during level init as some threads suggest at smwcentral the HUD doesn't disappear, while it should corresponding to the code I read in all.log. Bowser's battle mode ($C1) does the trick, but then layers 1/2 don't work as normal.
That level mode I was referring to is $0D9B. :|

Code: Select all

$0081EC:        AD 9B 0D      LDA $0D9B               
$0081EF:        4A            LSR         ; shift LSB into carry flag     
$0081F0:        D0 30         BNE $008222 ; Bowser/Koopa kid battle        
$0081F2:        B0 03         BCS $0081F7 ; -> if carry set skip status bar
$0081F4:        20 AC 8D      JSR DrawStatusBar
$0081F7:        [...]  ;continue     
Normally $0D9B = 0, but when it's 1 the IRQ should stop generating the status bar, but as far as I can see it doesn't seem to help. I'll have to step through some of the code to understand this better.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Isn't that the BG3 tilemap and size register? I'm not sure if that is a good idea to modify that, if I were to do that the messages won't work either when selecting the chest.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Actually, it's fixed now. The thing is that it does work (i.e. the NMI doesn't write the tiles), but the static border we're looking at is written on level load. Only when the Bowser battle mode is selected, this border won't be uploaded. This minor tidbit was missing in the threads on smwcentral.

The easiest way to work with this is simply overwriting those tiles with 'spaces' once during levelinit asm. The code for it is already up in the base rom thread to be inserted.

Now that I think of it, it would be better to have the room in the same style as the rest of the house it's placed in. Same funky Mario RPG music and white background with black crayon lines.