(shouting)

Let's wrangle them levels, yo

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Diortem

Re: Let's wrangle them levels, yo

Post by Diortem »

Ok, Paralars. I won't change too much. And I'll also see what can be done about the boss, I think there are some nice possiblities. But first, I'm helping Limepie with creating a new/clean base rom and improving the compression of some of the internal data.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

For one submap, I imagined a polar night environment because we did have some icy levels in the end.
Level names in black, annotations in colour.
The attachment tundra.gif is no longer available
Running like clockwork could be unlocked as a bonus (dragon coins) and be a shortcut from "skyway to wonderland" to adamantium castle.
The other one would be the one with all the fortresses.
level names are underlined
The attachment civilisation.gif is no longer available
This "map" might be a bit hard to see through, haha.
Please refer to Paralars images up there to figure out which spot is with. With that said, at 'forest ruins' I've reversed capefeather's level and unpleasant intruder, and reversed sewage castle and dairy disaster (which would be a 'normal' castle tile that pops up as a sort of fake-out)

Winter Dreams
Sans-titre-3clean.gif
Sans-titre-3clean.gif (6.51 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
Sans-titre-3paths.gif
Sans-titre-3paths.gif (7.41 KiB) Viewed 7708 times

Forest Guardian
Sans-titre-4clean.gif
Sans-titre-4clean.gif (5.69 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
Sans-titre-4paths.gif
Sans-titre-4paths.gif (6.49 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
edit - while in the 'forest' up there, she should be using the 'in water' overworld state, as if her head was peaking out of the folliage :3
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

Apparently these can be used 'as is' for the subworlds so that's pretty much the idea! It'd go with the whole 'artist' motif that kind of developed.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

I've noticed a bit of color distortion using certain colors side by side, but it was only with HDMA.
Still, converting these submaps shouldn't be too hard to do. The only issue is that you have to assemble the images 1 8x8 tile at a time. You can use edit's BG ripping tool to convert the tiles pretty easily.
Either way, if we're going to use these for our submaps, I can help out the person inserting them if he/she needs it.
Yoshi Ambassador!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Will you look at that!

So yeah, making a layer 2 submap out of those won't be a big problem I guess, just remember that level tiles are aligned in a grid of 16x16 tiles and you can't have these tight, curved paths everywhere, so level tiles might be a bit off in the end.

Made a mental note about the tree swimming mechanic, that's a neat idea.

About the paths:
Is there a possibility that one level slot will be unused so that we could use that as an unnamed, unenterable level to make tight corner paths?
There are these arrow sprites that help you identify the direction you can go into.
You can't really expect visible path tiles to be put over these maps, so those might come in handy.
Does anyone know how to insert/use them??
raocow

Post by raocow »

would it be possible to, like, make it so the big overworld isn't a big overworld and have it seperated into a bunch of other subworlds? This way we could also have it look the rest of the storybook art submaps!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I mean as long as there are enough small submaps on their own it's fine.
I don't know whether the big overworld can actually be changed into smaller submaps.
A makeshift approach would be to have the big overworld be comprised of small submaps, and disable scrolling of the overworld and the start button thing that lets you look around. I'd think at least that would be possible.

But yeah, the idea alone is fine. I think only small submaps would be a great idea if that's what you want to do.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Alex wrote:Yeah, that's possible and probably a better idea anyway. If it's not doable in LM (I'm pretty sure it isn't), then the ASM for it is pretyy simple, so don't worry about it right now.
But would you be able to give each of the new submaps its own palette and set of graphics? Because if not, there doesn't seem to be any advantage to separating them.
raocow

Post by raocow »

As a guy who got all the vip coins in vip5 on camera, I disagree, and I'd appreciate if getting a coin 'once' was enough, haha~

And yeah, to reiterate my idea, the goal would be to take the 'big overworld' that paralars drew for the rest of the maps and basically divide them into little bits, as I'd totally volonteer to draw up the others (unless someone else wants to chime in?)

Looking at the map on page 4, we would need

1.One starting submap with the first three easy levels, the parrot pad, and a big ol' bit of emptyness that serves as the gateway to the endgame.

2. a 'hub' that leads to the easy submaps. If we don't have enough room we could in theory merge it with 1.

3. 'Plains' theme inner circle level.

4. 'Beach' theme inner circle level.

5. 'Sky' theme outer circle level.

I think that's about it..?
raocow

Post by raocow »

This was created assuming we actually can divide up the big overworld into a bunch of tiny independant sub maps
Sans-titre-5clean.gif
Sans-titre-5paths.gif
menagerie -> intertwined ->*non-secret split* parrot pad & Stroll Stars - > hub overworld.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Man, this just makes me want to see a game made entirely with art assets done by you.
raocow

Post by raocow »

The hub place
The attachment Sans-titre-6clean.gif is no longer available
Sans-titre-6path.gif
Sans-titre-6path.gif (5.49 KiB) Viewed 7431 times
Using the mspaint map on page 4 as a guide, but some things remixed around.

Starts on the left with mail delivery - secret exit would lead to the yellow door which warps to the underground inner circle.

normal exit leads to Painting the Treehouse, whose' secret exit would lead to the mountain inner circle

normal exit leads to Dodge the Beefsteak, whose secret exit is the door warp to the Beach inner circle, but whose normal exit just makes demo walk off screen and into a 'second' part of this map, which would be the field inner circle world.
raocow

Post by raocow »

No.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I'm excited to get this inserted into the rom. These are all really great.
raocow

Post by raocow »

What's that? You want a sequel to the field?

The Field II
Sans-titre-7.gif
Sans-titre-7.gif (7.23 KiB) Viewed 7396 times
the 'page 4 map' which is my source here doesn't really order the levels nor say which is yellow or red, so I gave a lot of space to just put the spots on and whatnot.

edit - oh shoot, one of the levels is explicitly refered to as a forest... By which I mean, I meant it from the start that you should make its 'level icon' a smw tree, like if it was a fortress or something but with a tree.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I wonder if there'd be enough tiles for those ;o that'd make A2MT pretty unique.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
raocow

Post by raocow »

Pig Head Beach
Sans-titre-8clean.gif
Sans-titre-8clean.gif (4.98 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
Admidetly, the paths could probably make more sense, but I trust you Paralars! Or whoever else end up tiling this - level laying down!
Sans-titre-8path.gif
Sans-titre-8path.gif (5.69 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
start in the lower right - flooded village - deja vu - happy lake - pswitch beach - gelatin factory

gf split
- punctuated - goofy grotto
- a beach

and they rejoin into starlight resort

(of course, feel free to remaster this list as needed!)
Paperkoopa

Post by Paperkoopa »

For me it looks like the levels aren't spaced out enough. I'd recommend to make the river smaller and leave more space for the beach-type levels on the right.
Else it looks awesome!
raocow

Post by raocow »

also something that would work is having more of the beach levels on the left side of the river bank, but, well, that would be logical.
raocow

Post by raocow »

last map, though I think that for the sake of aesthetism, I kind of force everythign too much on one side.... But it looks so neat D:
Sans-titre-9clean.gif
Sans-titre-9clean.gif (2.27 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
starts at the 'pipe' i tried to draw the outline of near the top of the mountain. We need... a better thing than a pipe, like a subtle portal of sorts?
Sans-titre-9path.gif
Sans-titre-9path.gif (2.68 KiB) Viewed 6669 times
starts with Skythorn Valley and splits

- violet velocity - THUMP - Woodchuck Woods [both exits rejoin]
- air arena - enter sky castle - sky castel west - culu. - areal atheltics - mad science lab - !

once again, remixing the order is invited.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Well, looks like I kinda took a longer vacation than intended what with no more school and stuff, sorry for not having been around.

Looks like there has been some good stuff happening..

About these maps, I gotta say I love how they look, with a painfully annoying BUT:

I don't think it's possible to put them as maps into SMW.
Making them background images for overworld submaps is possible, I know how to do it.
Just laying out the paths and levels on them isn't possible if they're crammed together like in the latter maps.

Also, do we have the technology to break down the main OW into smaller maps?
Because I'm not sure we can put like 20 different palettes and graphic files into the game for an area that normally uses 4 graphic files..

tl;dr:
these drawings as submaps = possible (still need to push the ExGFX files around)
main overworld into submaps = don't think it's possiblem but correct me if I'm wrong.
raocow

Post by raocow »

If this is the case, I guess the best solution would be to pick the six 'best' and, ah, 'translate' the rest into smw overworld graphics.
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

Paralars wrote:main overworld into submaps = don't think it's possiblem but correct me if I'm wrong.
Splitting the main over world into sub maps can be managed without too much trouble. Literally creating new sub maps, however, would require an obscenely large amount of recoding and would make the ROM incompatible with Lunar Magic's over world editor.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

but is it possible to make it so that every one of these sub maps uses its own 4 GFX files and its own palettes?