(shouting)

A2MT Intro

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: A2MT Intro

Post by Argumentable »

You definitely don't need lives and bonus stars cause I'm pretty sure that stuff resets when you load a save?

I don't know what frankenstein shit you guys have done to this game already so maybe it's not the case anymore
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah it's not. Your lives, bonus stars, coins, midpoints, everything saves.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

And here's a working prototype. The long delay has been fixed. It can be reduced farther actually, but I thought this is okay. With a little more work it should be done in less than no time. The timer now works, under the assumption that 60 increments of $0014 = 1 second. It will wrap-around after >75 hours, but I don't think anybody will bother with that. :P
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

It's looking great. Also now that it's being uses like that, we should "Press Start" in smw font to Demetri's picture or something.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Something like that came to my mind, but I forgot about it. It could be done with some sprite gfx. So it hovers up and down a few pixels over the splash screen.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Here's a playable version, after fixing some of the items that were remaining. The defects I already know about are:

-Reset the screen when a file is delete (the gfx doesn't reset to "Empty" on screen)
-Insert music for the screen itself. It should fade out to silence from any transition
-Insert the "press start" sprite or put it in the image

If anyone finds any other bugs, or issues I'd like to hear about it.

How much room do we need for completing the remaining levels? In order to fit the graphics in I had to claim bank $A5 and little of $A6 for it (i.e. 34 kB of compressed data). There's still a few banks left, but depending on what still needs to be inserted this can be leisurely or very tight. Also because of the level reduction the rom seems very fragmented in several areas. I don't think LM can defragment roms by itself, though so that would require manual re-insertion.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

looks awesome.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Now that I look at this again, I think it seems awkward to have the splash screen appear twice. Maybe the first one should just be the standard 'Talkhaus Presents'? Or the second one should... not be present? Just, seeing it twice seems redundant to me.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

Swirly, I couldn't agree more. It was my intention to point this out to Demetri so the image can be adapted, but I haven't been able to contact here ever since I made the intro/menu. I'll try again soon enough.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

The "title screen" was made by Prof Demi. However, you probably mean the file select. Removing some of the stuff is easier than adding, so I don't see any problems there.

What I am concerned about is that this feature may not make it into the final game, as Demi's art requires a little more than one full(!) data bank even after applying LC_Z3 compression, which is probably not left over after everybody's levels have been inserted. Since I think the levels are more important than this, we might have to skip this (or only use the file select itself if people still like the idea).
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Diortem is here, the day is saved!

Anyway, aside from the technical stuff, I feel like Demetri's art should be somewhere, even if not directly in the game, maybe as some sort of digital cover released alongside the game.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

what was even the point of screwing up half the levels through optimization when the saved space is just used for this issue that came up only now?
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I know, but saying the optimization made enough room for the intro screen makes me feel like there wasn't even another thing to put in before.
Well, doesn't matter, it's been done anyway.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

The reason optimasation happen is that originaly, there weren't even enough space to have all the levels in. It's just that by optimising, it freed up more space than expected!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

you are correct Mr. Cow. The game was going to overflow the maximum rom size while still being incomplete. The point that some of the levels broke, is indeed a pity, but those levels shouldn't have been accepted in the original size to begin with. Unfortunately, we didn't have a size restrictions on entries and no one was aware that some of them had quite some superfluous tiles in them.

The last time I checked the base rom (all the way back when I made the intro screen) there were indeed a few banks left, but not that many.
Diortem

Post by Diortem »

In that case good luck 'unbreaking' the entire rom and rewriting all the code.

Why No ExHiRom while you're at it, and use bank switching just like "Tales of Phantasia" to get an actual rom that is bigger than 48Mb.