(shouting)

Switch Palaces!

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
limepie20

Switch Palaces!

Post by limepie20 »

Switch palaces, switch palaces. How will they work in this game?

No switch palace will have a designated color assigned to it. There will be four separate switch palaces, but the player will have the option of the color switch they would like to press. For instance, one may want to press the blue switch first and then green and then yellow and then red. Or they may want to press them in any of the other 23 permutations.

So how will this look in-game? Each switch palace will have two separate halves. The first half will be correspondent to the location of the switch palace (which switch palace it actually is on the overworld). The second half will be your choice. So upon entering a switch palace, you will play half of a level and then pick which color switch you would like to press. After picking a color, you will go through another half designated to that color.

With four switch palaces, eight different level sections naturally exist, and with that, one person may design any one of the eight level sections.

Signups:
22 - Cirno & Septentrion Pleiades
103 - Lv27MarkerMMan
121 - Septentrion Pleiades
123 - Jolpengammler
F8 - frostyfish88
F9 - SyStemkraSh5642
FA - Isocitration
FB - Wyatt

Things level designers need to keep in mind:
Firstly, the switch palace levels have an abstract theme. We aren't providing universal graphics or anything, just make your level abstract.
Secondly, don't worry about music. The music will be universal and it might be this or this.
Thirdly, you are only designing half of a level, not a full one. Keep the length appropriate.
Fourthly, you may post updates to your level in the testing thread and in the clearing thread (when it is finished). Specify that your level is a switch palace level in the clearing thread, so clearers can accurately review your work.
Fifthly, the levels are late game so make sure the difficulty is appropriate as well.
Sixthly, don't put any dragon coins or chests in your level.
Seventhly, have fun. I'll confiscate your level if you don't.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Switch Palaces.

Post by raocow »

the big colourful switches are the 'rewards' for beating the last eight world's castle (at least that was the plan back when I was amongst that discussion)
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

Ah okay, thanks raocow.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Yes, but not in the way they were used in ASMT where there was one in each of the first four worlds. This time, we're having four separate branching paths that you can clear in any order. Each path contains two worlds each, and at the end of the second world in each path there will be a switch palace. After all four switches have been pressed, the player will gain access to the final world.

So, for pretty much any level, it is possible that the player has pressed up to three of the four switch palace switches, except for endgame levels, which will have all four in effect. You can use switch blocks in your level (I think,) but if you try to use all four kinds, keep in mind that at least one variety won't be active no matter what. And even if you use less than four, there's no guarantee that you won't be placed on the path that leads to a type of switch block that you used.

edit: Ninja'd. Wait, that's not what I typed. Was there a decision that I missed somehow?
I don't really get it but okay
kilon

Post by kilon »

Or actually the last castle of every main route.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

cheez8 wrote:Yes, but not in the way they were used in ASMT where there was one in each of the first four worlds. This time, we're having four separate branching paths that you can clear in any order. Each path contains two worlds each, and at the end of the second world in each path there will be a switch palace. After all four switches have been pressed, the player will gain access to the final world.

So, for pretty much any level, it is possible that the player has pressed up to three of the four switch palace switches, except for endgame levels, which will have all four in effect. You can use switch blocks in your level (I think,) but if you try to use all four kinds, keep in mind that at least one variety won't be active no matter what. And even if you use less than four, there's no guarantee that you won't be placed on the path that leads to a type of switch block that you used.

edit: Ninja'd. Wait, that's not what I typed. Was there a decision that I missed somehow?
If this happens, hopefully we'll catch it and switch the blocks for another one. No promises, though.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Chibikko

Post by Chibikko »

How about having more than four Switch Palaces? They would not be very hard to make so it is an option (if they fit into the OW design).
I am a cat. You cannot prove otherwise.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

Am I'm the only one who thinks the switches are a part of SMW and the Mario lands?

There could of course be "equal" things elsewhere in A2MT. But just rip-of switches seems a bit... Bland.

This is of course just my own opinion on it. But I do still believe that switches are boring and overused.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

DaxterSpeed wrote:This is of course just my own opinion on it. But I do still believe that switches are boring and overused.
I agree, I also believe that coins are tacky and overused, as are mario physics, grasslands, bowser, charlie (or equivalents), goombas (or equivalents) and midpoints.

Honestly, we need to be more original.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

AUS wrote:
DaxterSpeed wrote:This is of course just my own opinion on it. But I do still believe that switches are boring and overused.
I agree, I also believe that coins are tacky and overused, as are mario physics, grasslands, bowser, charlie (or equivalents), goombas (or equivalents) and midpoints.

Honestly, we need to be more original.
Even though we're making a game based on the same core, we're not making a game with copied elements. Compare this hack with the relation between Half-life (2 I think) and Portal. Both games are built on the same core, but are generally different and one would not be called a copy of the other. I event think that they're using the same physics, and I know that you can spawn Half-life enemies in Portal.

SMW elements that stands for Super "Mario World" should go. (Like the switches) But things that could be anywhere (Chucks, midpoints, coins) can stay. It's not like Chuck only exists on one planet that universe.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Chucks and midpoints aren't in any game but super mario world. They're the same as the switch block, in my opinion. There isn't a reason why you can call chucks and midpoints the same but not make the connection between those elements and the element of switch blocks related to super mario world.

I want a cookie.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

AUS wrote:Chucks and midpoints aren't in any game but super mario world. They're the same as the switch block, in my opinion. There isn't a reason why you can call chucks and midpoints the same but not make the connection between those elements and the element of switch blocks related to super mario world.
So you say that there's no other game where "mid-points" are used? You know, when you beat a part of a level, die, and come back precisely after that part?

Mid-points are just the same thing, just way more "visible".
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

They act very differently. I can tell you're grasping for straws because you didn't even mention charlie, I just don't see any reason to not have switch blocks. Your reason that they're too "mario world" doesn't work, because you clearly don't mind other obvious "mario world" mechanics, such as charlie.

I could continue if you want me to, but my point is made. :P
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Chibikko wrote:
How about having more than four Switch Palaces? They would not be very hard to make so it is an option (if they fit into the OW design).
I am really feeling, now, like even the people I know didn't read the threads.
I siggested this in the Discussion Thread.

Regardless, I love the idea, but I was unsure if it was feasible since Chdata said something and never really backed up his claim so I could see if it worked.
kilon

Post by kilon »

While we are away from the MK, which is synonymous with Mario, the title still is
A Second Mario Thing
So it's okay to have similar things sometimes. But if someone can come up with an alternative for the switch palaces, feel free to share it with us.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Well, we could call them actuators and change their graphic or something...

._.;
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

make 'em high quality chickens like in what the hell.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Make them giant HQ versions of the assorted vegitables that you see in the opening sequence before you press start to enter the game in ASMT.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

We should have each switch be something different. This should be easily possible with ExGFX, so we could have each one be a statue of the two worlds' sisters back to back.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
kilon

Post by kilon »

That suddenly collapses when jumping on it?
Or can you change it as a whole and make a certain tile act as a pressed switch while it isn't pressed?
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Switch palaces should be switches. That would make the most sense.

Also, I think all the switch palaces should either be done by the same person, or people who make them similar, so we don't get the same as what happened in the last game.
DaxterSpeed wrote:Even though we're making a game based on the same core, we're not making a game with copied elements. Compare this hack with the relation between Half-life (2 I think) and Portal. Both games are built on the same core, but are generally different and one would not be called a copy of the other. I event think that they're using the same physics, and I know that you can spawn Half-life enemies in Portal.

SMW elements that stands for Super "Mario World" should go. (Like the switches) But things that could be anywhere (Chucks, midpoints, coins) can stay. It's not like Chuck only exists on one planet that universe.
DS, while we're at it, why don't we just make a homebrew ROM so we can get rid of all traces of SMW?

Yeah, that just seems a bit too far. I mean, we're leaving in the SMW powerups, it doesn't get any more Mario than that.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

VideoGuy wrote:DS, while we're at it, why don't we just make a homebrew ROM so we can get rid of all traces of SMW?

Yeah, that just seems a bit too far. I mean, we're leaving in the SMW powerups, it doesn't get any more Mario than that.
Yeah, the cape is like everywhere in all Mario games.

Okay, I have been proven wrong on the switches, but I'd still love some ExGFX'ing on them. Anything that makes this hack more unique is awesome. Even the tiniest of details are improvement. (New font anyone?)
Also, it's so obvious that you know me from elsewhere, as you're the only one here who would call me DS.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

DaxterSpeed wrote:
VideoGuy wrote:DS, while we're at it, why don't we just make a homebrew ROM so we can get rid of all traces of SMW?

Yeah, the cape is like everywhere in all Mario games.

Okay, I have been proven wrong on the switches, but I'd still love some ExGFX'ing on them. Anything that makes this hack more unique is awesome. Even the tiniest of details are improvement. (New font anyone?)
Also, it's so obvious that you know me from elsewhere, as you're the only one here who would call me DS.
DS is just your initials, dude.

Anyway... I am not changing the foreground for my level at this point to make every detail unique ._.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

Tails_155 wrote:DS is just your initials, dude.

Anyway... I am not changing the foreground for my level at this point to make every detail unique ._.
Well, they always say Dax / Daxter to short it down.

And I'm not saying that you should change your foreground. But a new OW border would be cool, and a "new" font would also be cool.

Small details like that are always awesome.

And seriously, does I write sentences so "badly" that everyone haves to argue with me?
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

I'm not arguing, I'm just saying I wish you'd suggested such an idea back in the planning process.