(shouting)

Graphics Discussion: Requests, help and general

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Paralars

Re: A2MT GFX Thread

Post by Paralars »

you should take away the black pixel right in the head, it looks like an eye and with the eye the bug looks like a ram :|

Also, the legs are a bit too block with the black outline.

Idk, would having 4 tones of sandcolor make any complications with the palettes?

(please someone explain to me how palettes exactly work I still seem to not get it-.- pm or w/e)

Oh and Terry I like how you are putting fine tuning to my stuff, especially because I'm not experienced with palettes and stuff. We make a good team :lol:
Last edited by Paralars 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

only 3 colors are allotted to the Monty Mole sand colors, since it's on the "Mario" Palette, it is very difficult to change anything. That's why the Monty Moles are hard to work with.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

Well, you see, every sprite graphic in SMW has one of 8 possible sprite palettes, each with a number in hex format assigned to it (8, 9, A, B, C, D, E and F). 8 is the player's palette and thus not all of its colours are actually useable(well they are but if you do use them you'll have a blue enemy randomly turning red when you collect a fire flower). If we're using the HQ palette I posted, you could use all colours up to A (the lighter grey) without any troubles. Still no red, but I suppose you could make them skin colouredish?
Essentially, palette 8 is used for light brown things such as moles and pencils, 9 is grey (boos, various castle stuffs), A is yellow and sprites that only use black and white such as the bomb, B to D should be obvious, and E and F can change depending on the level and are actually used fairly rarely in the original SMW - in fact, the only non-boss enemy I can think of off the top of my head that uses palette E is the buzzy beetle.

Also, apparently the HQ palette messes with berries (fuck berries) so if you want to use those, you'll have to change Palette 5 to the following(only the first 3 green colours are actually changed):
[attachment=0]berrypal.PNG[/attachment]
Attachments
berrypal.PNG
berrypal.PNG (477 Bytes) Viewed 4414 times
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

I just made it global, it doesn't look too bad on the pipes. You can test it if you'd like.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

Okay Terry, THANKS.
I think I have the idea now, but is there a way to change to palette a certain sprite is using without having to make a completely new sprite?
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

Paralars wrote:Okay Terry, THANKS.
I think I have the idea now, but is there a way to change to palette a certain sprite is using without having to make a completely new sprite?
Yes with sprite paint or tweaker.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

okay I just gave the bug a black outline and recolored it with the colors of Terry's HQ palette 8, it is very "meh..."ish.
I think to make it look good there would be some extra colors needed...
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Terry von Feleday wrote:The way outlines look is a pretty integral part of what a given spriting style is like so not having black ones would clash with the stuff I made/am making. I use black for my outlines as I find it's a pretty good idea to use it since it's pretty distinctive as a whole - it's very important that the sprites don't "fade" into the background, and coloured or selective outlines are normally only used when the background is already rather distinct from the sprites say by being darker or using different colours, and since this isn't the case in SMW...
[attachment=0]bombu.PNG[/attachment]
The bombguy uses palette A (the yellow one), so no purple, sorry.

(Also yeah MSPaint forevah)
Actually, don't forget that we can remap the colors sprites use to another sprite palette, and globally too.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Quick question, why is there a question mark on the bomb...it should be a skull. I'm pretty sure the whole thing about question marks happened because chdata didn't finish one of his sentences and left it hanging with a "...?" that was meant to imply something else...

It looks nice though.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Actually I literally meant "question mark" lol, because people wanted some way to make it unique.

Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

I'm afraid of messing around with tweaker. I keep thinking the sprites will somehow turn into horrible abominations of programming and reach out of the screen to strangle me or something.

...Yeah, I don't even know.

Also, the question mark is funnier.
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Eh, you won't need to worry about it, whoever does the baserom will. And whoever does will have pro's helping them. I know how to get most palette changes that won't work with Tweaker to work.

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Oh! Right, haha, well ok then. As far as the crash bomb goes it's a pretty distinctive and recognisable enemy, is there any chance of some fancy asm to make it act like the original? (I.e. walk along, tip over the edge of a ledge, fall and explode) I think the sprites are really good but I'm kinda a little against using them because it's such a definitely kirby enemy. Feel free to overrule me anyone though, since they are such good sprites, and I guess it's not a big deal, just why a question mark? Surely it should be some kind of indicative symbol of the fact it will blow up, there's not really any mystery about what it's going to do.

fakeedit: I guess I just don't get the humour of the questionmark, since it's not really funny to me. Am I missing something?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

I was just thinking randomlol.

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Is it possible to make it so that when the bomb is flashing on its way to exploding, the ? changes into an exclamation point?
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Heh, that is a funny idea. And it is possible, but it'd take more tiles and have to be a custom sprite. (Both of your ideas are possible. Infact almost anything someone suggests is possible.)

Although in this case I think it'd be tricky for both ideas.

Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

I think we can all agree that for something like this, when we say "possible", we really mean "feasible".
AnimeRules

Post by AnimeRules »

maybe for a level gimmick or something, the normal bombs could have an !, and we could make a custom sprite with the ? that could randomly do something out of a set during explosion, which I know is possible.
"Sometimes my hell, is so totally what" -raocow
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

Ohey, can you upload the .bin file of the Demo that uses those palettes?

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Do you mean this? I cross-referenced the ASMT Demo with the originally paletted Demo, so this should work (Unless Terry wants to finish his original Demo sheet in his own style).
Attachments
GFX32.zip
(10.03 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

This isn't really related to what you're talking about now, but since you're making global graphics can something be done about things like reset doors? It was annoying having such an inconsistent style for those. I think there should be something global, either a giant R next to a door, the letter on the door itself, or something that's the same for every level.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Cheeseofdoom

Post by Cheeseofdoom »

Not sure if we're going to make a graphics submission thread, but here's the .bin for my dino rhino replacements.
Attachments
Dino.zip
Dino Rhino/Torch Graphics
(1.3 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

VideoGuy wrote:This isn't really related to what you're talking about now, but since you're making global graphics can something be done about things like reset doors? It was annoying having such an inconsistent style for those. I think there should be something global, either a giant R next to a door, the letter on the door itself, or something that's the same for every level.
We could use the ones from my ghost house.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qHuSj69iBk

Skip to 0:45

Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

In the included section I have my 101 tilesets, as well as my ASMT tileset. I also included two premade pages (Layer Priority Enabled tiles that would make sense to use labeled 4, and other formations that would be useful, labeled 3, which I updated since the earlier entity)

stuff that must change, I realized:

Munchers
Footballs
Rexes

all of them reference the absent Yoshi sort of thing.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

If we want a HQ Palette, I had an idea that doesn't require setting custom palette in every level, but I don't know if this messes up colors on the OW/something else.
RealLink wrote:When changing the colors of the second half of those palettes through a patch that runs every frame in a level (or just when entering the level), would this still screw up the OW L1?
That's what I want to do for my Hack, and I already have the patch, but I don't know if it can be used without screwing other things up.
e:
I drew these thwomps for ASMT, but they didn't get in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzcoWxziT2k
Last edited by RealLink 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.