(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Re: Level Clearing - Big Fat New Rule

Post by Karatekid5 »

flameofdoubt wrote:It'd be a shame if you removed the handrail, it's little touches like that and the large house at the end that I think really make a level, like if you had the odd parasol or beach lounger bed type thing to further add to the resort feel of the level.
I'll see what I can draw. I'll go reserve some more map16 space.
Yoshi Ambassador!
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Senjan:
wat.
Senjan - 114_00000.png
Senjan - 114_00000.png (6.95 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Senjan - 114_00001.png
Senjan - 114_00001.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
Was this intended? I guess its okay but if you have a cape and float under there are invisible blocks.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Newest IPS
Drew some beach/resort stuff and drew a new railing to replace the one I removed.
Attachments
11D - Starlight Resort Final.zip
(460.4 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Yoshi Ambassador!
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

flameofdoubt wrote:The only problem I have with your level is that once you go past those ropes at the end you can't return to collect the dragon coins if you went up the wrong side. If you're ok with this and the player having to go through it again (I doubt they'll mind too much since it's such a nice level), then consider it cleared and you can submit it. If you think it needs changing though then it will be cleared as soon as those changes are tested. It's not a huge deal so it's up to you.
I thought of it a lot, and tried diffrent places for the coin, but nothing turned out very good.
I think I should leave it like this.
Senjan

Post by Senjan »

limepie20 wrote:Senjan:
wat.
Senjan - 114_00000.png
Senjan - 114_00001.png
Was this intended? I guess its okay but if you have a cape and float under there are invisible blocks.
Yeah it was intended. It's ment to be just a little variation slope for the player to use to reach the bonus room.
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Tails_155 »

The newest version of the Map16 has a way to make a dirt slope on a narrow diagonal, except a bottom edge, you'd have to end it somewhere in the middle of the slope, and not extend it to the edge (unless you add some ExGFX.) I'd prefer you do something like this, because that looks really really messed up.

I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Karatekid5: The perspective on the sunbeds is off, they should be side on or face on to the 'camera', but I really like what you've done with the sunbeds, parasols and huts. One thing to note is the P-switch coins are now pink instead of purple, so you'll need to change the message box. One thing I would suggest is going to the graphics request thread and asking someone to make the extra graphics for the sunbeds, parasols, and huts for you in the style of the rest of the level. What you've done is good and will work but something really high quality could make this level look even better.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Newest IPS. Fixed up the perspective and graphics and also added some new ones for more decoration.
Attachments
(462.54 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Yoshi Ambassador!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Karatekid5: Liking the new additions, what you need to do now is ask some of the graphics people if they can whip if some fancy versions of what you've made so far.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

flameofdoubt wrote:Karatekid5: Liking the new additions, what you need to do now is ask some of the graphics people if they can whip if some fancy versions of what you've made so far.
Sounds good! I'll post the ExGFX file and the zst (for the palette in YY-CHR) later on the GFX request thread.
Yoshi Ambassador!
Gwaur

Post by Gwaur »

Hi, this is level 11F "Tangled Grounds". It's been on the test&dev thread for a few times. Comments have been mostly positive, and I've worked around the negative ones, so I guess clearing is the next phase. However, it's just vanilla and basic platforming, so I'm kinda worried that this is "just a level", but it's up to you to decide.
Level11F.ips
(491.92 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Also, a question that wasn't answered on the test&dev: I don't have any idea on how to select/provide music, and I don't have any music slots either, so will a nice fitting tune be picked by someone for me? I don't care what it is, as long as it fits.
Suzumiya Haruhi is my wife. Oh yeah, she has interest in me!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Gwaur: You need to fix your HUD palette to be the one in the most recent baserom. Where is the chest in your level? I can't find anything wrong with the level or any real problems, but as you've said it is very vanilla, and rather short. I'll wait to see Tails' opinion on this, but my own personal thought is the level needs something a bit more to make it good enough. What you've done is great as vanilla though. As far as music goes, you can ask for a slot in the signups thread, or pick somebody else's music you think is appropriate (not much to choose from yet since not many submissions), but yes at the end of the day your level will have appropriate music that you are happy with.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

It IS very vanilla, but at least it's good vanilla, and pretty well decorated. I do admit it is rather short, though. Why wouldn't you use Spiny Eggs for the Spinies in the air?
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Newest IPS.
Flameofdoubt: The GFX you fixed up have been inserted! Although, the 16x16 for the beach chair's top was missing, but I was able to quickly fix it.
(462.21 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Yoshi Ambassador!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Karatekid5: The umbrella with the sun lounger in the first area has some of the tiles the wrong way round. The umbrella behind the blue koopa that kicks a red shell at you (straight after that) has tiles missing. You need to fix the palette for the HUD to be the same as the one in the most current baserom (also updating to the current baserom will give you a better idea of how the final level will play, since there are quite a few enemy and player graphics changes). Fix these things and I should be able to clear it.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

flameofdoubt wrote:Karatekid5: The umbrella with the sun lounger in the first area has some of the tiles the wrong way round. The umbrella behind the blue koopa that kicks a red shell at you (straight after that) has tiles missing. You need to fix the palette for the HUD to be the same as the one in the most current baserom (also updating to the current baserom will give you a better idea of how the final level will play, since there are quite a few enemy and player graphics changes). Fix these things and I should be able to clear it.
Here it is! The newest IPS, ported to the newest baserom, tiles fixed, and HUD palettes fixed.
EDIT: It's not letting me upload it because it's too big, even in a ZIP file!
Yoshi Ambassador!
Ruirize
First name: Steffan James

Post by Ruirize »

flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Karatekid5: The secret area with the chest, you can jump over the roof again and travel back over the whole level. It's not a huge problem but fixing it would be an improvement. Also for the chest area you have four parasols and sun loungers in a row, maybe make just one of the two middle parasols the other way, for variety? Depends on whether you think that looks better or not though. When those two things are changed or not I can clear your level.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

flameofdoubt wrote:Karatekid5: The secret area with the chest, you can jump over the roof again and travel back over the whole level. It's not a huge problem but fixing it would be an improvement. Also for the chest area you have four parasols and sun loungers in a row, maybe make just one of the two middle parasols the other way, for variety? Depends on whether you think that looks better or not though. When those two things are changed or not I can clear your level.
Being able to run over the beginning isn't much of a problem. Also, I'll probably add a little variety there. After that, If I have permission, I'll submit the level.
Yoshi Ambassador!
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Karatekid5 wrote:
flameofdoubt wrote:Karatekid5: The secret area with the chest, you can jump over the roof again and travel back over the whole level. It's not a huge problem but fixing it would be an improvement. Also for the chest area you have four parasols and sun loungers in a row, maybe make just one of the two middle parasols the other way, for variety? Depends on whether you think that looks better or not though. When those two things are changed or not I can clear your level.
Being able to run over the beginning isn't much of a problem. Also, I'll probably add a little variety there. After that, If I have permission, I'll submit the level.
I wouldn't reject it if it weren't fixed, but it is an easy fix. :S
Kevinskie555

Post by Kevinskie555 »

WARNING. GIANT POST!

PacoStudi8, nice level, BUT:
The giant springboards are placed 1 tile to high,
And you might wanna make the land below the 4th dragon coin a little higher on the right, so you can't get back up after you fell of, and also, where's the chest supposed to be???
And couldn't you just put all sub-levels in one big level? =S

Also,
@Karatekid5
Can you be a little more creative at the vine part???
Like giving some Vine ends?
But I see you already used another GFX file for ExGFX 10E...
Also, you could change some of the brown blocks into landmasses.
Oh, And remove the rest at the beginning of the music file.
(Maybe you can use a fence instead of vines???)
And one of the digging chucks is digging the air :?
The blue pipe at the end of the sonic part has cut-off
And the pipe the blue pipe brings you to, makes you appear behind the decoration, move it a little to the right.
And all bridge-ledges have kinda cut-off GFX, you should outline them.

@Senjan:
I think kil's music sounds a little unfitting, to sad,quiet, with a normal/happy palette :sad:
You might wanna use the NSMBW theme trough the whole level.

Also, fix this, please. (I think it's one of the wrong tiles on page 3 but whatever:)
c_00000.png
c_00000.png (6.75 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
Adn here I spin-jumped myself to dead in the small passage, I was big! :roll:
c_00001.png
c_00001.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
And the pipe that leads you out of the bonus room, you poop out of a floating small landmass? Seriously?

I just bumped my head into these tiles, They are solid for some reason...
c_00002.png
c_00002.png (7.55 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
I spin-jumped trough the green star block around the top of the level.
(Sorry, no image, max. of 3 attachements)

*GIANT STRIKE* Name your level Thorn Jungle, like raocow did in Cat Planet *GIANT STRIKE*
My hack:
Image ''creator''
Lookie! It's Goofy Bowser Junior
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Oh right. I should probably put my level here now, shouldn't I?

EDIT: oops, this version doesn't have the new palettes. Please watch warmly whil(ry

EDITAGAIN:
Attachments
runninglikeclockworkv3.ips
there we go
(425.49 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Kevinskie555 wrote:WARNING. GIANT POST!
Why on earth didn't you do all this when they were being _tested_ and not when they're already in this thread. This isn't a place for you to review; it is a place for FoD and I to clear stuff.
Kevinskie555 wrote:Name your level Thorn Jungle, like raocow did in Cat Planet
Enough cat planet. Seriously, I'm almost to the point of editing/deleting comments about Cat Planet. There is one level about Cat Planet. Period. No other references to it.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Kevinskie555:

On Senjan: While you can and are encouraged to point out any level flaws here, Senjan's level has already been inserted. As far as the criticisms go, the music is largely designer's choice and Senjan has already said he'll be be sticking with that track. I've tried personally to convince him otherwise but it's not a big enough problem to warrant me overruling him. The diagonal landmass was talked about and is in the process of being fixed by Tails. The spinjumping is a problem with SMW; I'm aware it's possible to avoid this but the only people who are going to be spinjumping in small gaps are people who know about the glitch, and there's no conceivable reason to spinjump there, so it's not really an issue. The pipe leading out of the floating landmass I don't have a problem with. The solid blocks are to stop you flying up there because you're not allowed to access it, and though it's fixable by changing the level I feel we'd lose something just for a fix to something that only people who are trying to break the level will see. I could perhaps raise them a little higher if they're a problem for you? Can you explained what happened with the green star block?

On Karatekid5: Vines of different length give the impression of a ruin, whereas this is meant to be a well-looked-after (if enemy infested) area. I think the brown blocks look good in an aesthetic, normally cement blocks would be an instant "no, change this", but the way it's done here works and gives the impression of a believable area (for one thing, it's meant to be manmade, so landmasses wouldn't fit, though the sonic area is special in that regard). Though I know the brown blocks are basically coloured cement blocks, it's never aware to me while I play, because the level fools me, so they can stay in. Why would you want to remove the bit from the start of the music file? That bit's great! I've never noticed cutoff on the pipe, there's some dots at the corners but it makes sense that the ground wouldn't be flush up against the pipe. I was thinking there isn't any way to fix the "behind midpoint" problem, but this is a good solution. Some graphics in the level don't have black outlines like most things do in the hack, which I feel gives the level a slight twang that's its own aesthetic, so if there's not an outline it's not cutoff, it's just how that tile looks.

yoshicookiezeus: Is the darkened HUD intentional? If so that's fine. Are you supposed to be able to get the 4th dragon coin by bouncing from the right hand set of gears? If someone gets all the dragon coins and the chest in one go, they only have just enough time to get to the end of the level; if you want to keep this that's fine, but I didn't see your level as a place that implies speed; it seems to be more about exploring this broken ruin, so unless you like the time challenge I'd suggest putting the timer high enough to the player isn't really ever going to hear the 99 seconds left claxon, also the claxon itself and the speed up ruin the atmosphere of the level.

The only really big niggling problem is that the rust is everywhere, and rust looks best when it's patchy, but that would require you to have rust coloured, normal coloured, and various transitional blocks, all arranged in a huge aesthetic MAP16 endeavour, and would probably not be worth it because most people would be just fine with everything being uniformly rusty.

Fix or respond to the above issues and this is ready for insertion.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

So, I've finally gotten the time to submit the full .zip file of my level here. I think I've gotten everything covered about the level, and I hope that there's no misunderstandings in my .html file. I've also submitted an .ips of the level for easy testing.

To clear things up, the .ips is in the .zip.
Attachments
daxterspeedA2MTLevel.zip
Finally got it uploaded.
(249.93 KiB) Downloaded 56 times