(shouting)

Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
flameofdoubt

Re: Level Clearing

Post by flameofdoubt »

Sorry I wasn't more help with the ips.

Your level is pretty solid in design, but is very short and uses the same challenge to get a yoshicoin twice. It also is a pure platforming level and has no extra gimmick or extras going for it. We don't demand gimmicks but they help, as a pure platforming level can get pretty boring.

I suggest you make it a lot longer, stretch out where the yoshicoins are, make a new challenge for one of the two yoshicoins that make you do the same thing, maybe think about adding in some kind of hook or gimmick, something that makes the level special. When you've done that upload it to the testing thread and let them have a go and discuss it and give you suggestions. Do that a few times and when they all love it and think it's wonderful upload it here and I'll judge it finally.
Pixie casts Dekunda. Insufficient MP!
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Here is my level, It's level 01C.

It's called "Sunshine Mountains" and it doesn't have any gimmick. It's a pretty easy level so It would go well at the beginning of the game. It has all five parrot coins and It has one Yoshi jump but it warns you. If there is anything I should do to fix it then feel free to tell me.

-Ashanmaril (Hayden)
PacoStudio8

Post by PacoStudio8 »

I'm finally finished!
This was a lot of work But, I'm finished!
I extended the level somemore and improved the level itself!
(I can extend the level some more if necessary) *Fanfare*

Here it is!

~PacoStudio8~
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

I like it a lot, paco! I have a couple of suggestions, but you don't have to take them:

Maybe add a section where you have to time a jump against flying enemies (koopa troopas, etc.)

I would rais the goal section and put it closer so you can try and time you jump to get goal points!
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Ashanmaril: The level design is a bit sparse, and you have to bear in mind that there aren't supposed to be any yoshis or charlies in A2MT. Obviously if you want them to be in your level we'll work the plot around it to make it work, I'm just saying that reference levels like we had in ASMT don't work as well anymore here. The joke about not actually killing the guy was funny, but the VIP5 delay thing was done in ASMT so it's unoriginal now.

The level didn't seem to have all that going for it. You said it wasn't gimmicky and apart from the two messagebox references at the start, the level is pure platforming, but the platforming needs to be improved a lot. It suffers from the ever-present problem in mario of a level feeling like it's just a load of ground suspended in the air, rather than actually being on the ground, but with holes in it. Plus there wasn't very much variety at all during the level.

Try the first level of ASMT for comparison, It has a different foreground palette to make the old foreground tiles look interesting, it has a set "ground level" throughout, with blocks above that ground rather than just being higher in the sky. If you fall in a pit it feels like you're falling in a pit, not like you're falling from a floating island.

Suggestions: Start again on this level, and this time make sure you have a constant ground level throughout, with the occasional pit, rather than constant pit throughout with the occasional bit of ground. Having a block in the air doesn't mean you can leave a huge pit beneath it, and don't have 'bottoms' to ground, since the ground by definition goes much deeper than the bottom of the screen. Make things in the level closer together, otherwise they feel arbitrary. Rather than exploring a place in this world it just feels like you're jumping through the platforming hoops that the level designer made for you. Try and make it look like it's a real place, so there'll be things that don't help or hinder you, but are just there. Your level is called sunshine mountains, but apart from the odd bit of pointy ground it didn't seem at all mountainous. Actual mountains are nothing like grassland and plains, they're craggy and such, so you'd need to use a different foreground, and maybe make several large mountains which you travel around, so actually imagine several mountains, and that they have handholds and platforms jutting out of the rock, and you can run and jump between them.

Overall Ashamaril this wasn't up to standard, and you can try again, but if that level isn't good enough either (and I expect it to have been in the testing and discussion thread a few times before it comes here again), then I'll have to open the slot up for someone else to try too.

PacoStudio8: I like the bits that are almost like an automatic mario stage, but I think you also need to make some new areas that involve the springboards and platforming, and you definitely, definitely need to put some enemies in. I'd suggest bouncing koopas! Rather than asking for more sublevels, use more of the sublevels you already have and extend them unless you've used up all the screens. We've seen with your level that you can use springboards well to challenge the player to get over gaps and reach new heights and be pushed sideways very quickly; but now you need to try to do something new with them, otherwise that gameplay gimmick will get old, and quickly. Maybe try some challenges where the player must avoid the springboard or it will put them in danger?

EDIT: Totally for tatanga's idea, trying to make the player have to time his springjumps to avoid enemeis as well.
TwoHeadedYoshi

Re: Level Clearing - Big Fat New Rule

Post by TwoHeadedYoshi »

well, i guess my level is done if there are any problems at all just let me know and ill fix them
Ruirize
First name: Steffan James
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ruirize »

Read the first post numbnuts.
masterchief3683

Post by masterchief3683 »

Here is my level.
deadlydesert.ips
Ruirize
First name: Steffan James

Post by Ruirize »

masterchief3683 wrote:Here is my level.
deadlydesert.ips
Your level has not even been tested yet.
linlin

Post by linlin »

masterchief3683 wrote:Here is my level.
please get your level properly tested in the "testing and development" thread before posting it here. posting pictures in that thread is not testing, and nobody gave you feedback. this thread is only for completed and extensively tested levels
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails

Post by Tails_155 »

ApplePiePod wrote:Read the first post numbnuts.
I thank you for trying to get people to read the post, but please don't attack other people.
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

TwoHeadedYoshi: Did you test your level in the baserom yet? If you did and it works I'll clear your level and then you can submit. Please don't submit your level until it's been cleared.
TwoHeadedYoshi

Post by TwoHeadedYoshi »

it was in the older base rom (whatever rom was on the wiki during raocows video) and it works there. the ips cant work for me but insurting the levels works fine.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

TwoHeadedYoshi: Could you please make sure it works in the latest baserom (available in the baserom thread) before you try to clear the level. pending new regulations we may have to consider if your level is unique enough I'm afraid.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Uhm, FoD, I just kind of glanced at the nature of your judgement and... are you sure you're not overcomplexifying things a lot more then you have to?

Gimmicks are nice, but a tacked on gimmick tends to feel tacked on - if the level can stand on its own with level design, and it looks good, that should be enough. Fun and design.

(this comment is based off of glancing at the text while avoiding details + info from Tails)

- edit - wait where am I. Argh mutli-tabbing!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

I am, yeah. I think it's good enough to be in on level design and aesthetics, but I thought we were being militant about gimmicks, whereas you're right, a tacked on thingy can ruin a level. I drop that criticism, if he can submit an ips for testing in the latest baserom I'll be happy to play, test, and then clear it.
TwoHeadedYoshi

Post by TwoHeadedYoshi »

Right about that putting into the base rom I can do that no problem it's just the next few weeks in school is exams so I'm not gonna be doing much lunar magic buiness. But early summer I will have it all delt with.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

Actually TwoHeadedYoshi scratch that. As it turns out we're having some issues with the baserom it would be pointless to make sure by inserting it since it won't be the final version. I've had a look through your files and nothing clashes, so unless you have any last minute changes your level is cleared and you can submit your level in the submissions thread.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Here is Starlight Resort. I am very sure this is ready for level clearing, and it has been through testing at least 5 times. Also, both problems mentioned by flameofdoubt and the few little things named by Kingtwelvesixteen have been fixed.
When this level gets cleared, I'll compile all of the files I used and submit it, including ExGFX files and Map16 pages. Also, my level doesn't use any custom blocks, sprites, ASM, or patches, so there shouldn't be any incompatibilities.
Yoshi Ambassador!
TwoHeadedYoshi

Post by TwoHeadedYoshi »

finished with that whole music thing now this level is completed any problems let me know and ill fix them.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

I only have three issues with this level, TwoHeadedYoshi (love the music choices by the way). The first two are in the first little building where there are birds and a mushroom and a life.

Firstly, Are those birds supposed to be in the tree or on the roof of the building? They all walk in a straight line so it makes it look a little odd when they're moving around in the tree.

Secondly, It might not be a good idea to put a life there. It's relatively close to the start so people can farm lives. If you don't want to change that that's not really that important though, because it's about how many deaths you get, not how many lives.

Thirdly, did you get the memo about putting a place for a secret chest in your level, or am I just bad at exploring?

If these issues are fixed/resolved, then you can reupload the files and you're in.
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

TwoHeadedYoshi wrote:finished with that whole music thing now this level is completed any problems let me know and ill fix them.
Nice level. What was the P-Switch for though?
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

There's a place part way through the final room with a high up coin that indicates there are invisible coin blocks. If you climb them you need a p-switch to make a door appear that takes you to the secret exit.
TwoHeadedYoshi

Post by TwoHeadedYoshi »

okay my three replies.
about the birds i figured it looked okay in the tree but if it looks weird to others i can put them on the roof.
the one up yes you can farm but your farming for a single life not a 3-up so it would tak longer but i can remove it and replace it with another mushroom.
about the chest that i dont under stand what you mean or want me to do. it has to do with the secrect exit is all i know. if you could clarify i will change it right away.
flameofdoubt

Post by flameofdoubt »

TwoHeadedYoshi: Ok from your responses you don't need to change the first two things, and about the chest, here's an explanation:

You know how you have to put 5 dragon coins in every level? Well each level also needs one super extra hidden spot, and that is for a treasure chest. In the final hack you'll be able to find a chest in every level with a treasure inside, and the idea is to collect all the treasures. So when you submit your level we need to know where your chest is supposed to go (You can indicate it however you want, as long as you let us know what it is). We also need to know what you want to put in your chest. You can think of your own thing, or find something in the "Stage props list" thread which is on the second page of the forum. Either way it needs a name, a cost in GP, a short description, and a 16x16 picture of it.