Level Clearing

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Re: Level Clearing

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

limepie20 wrote:tenta:
The chest path isn't fixed yet. I'm not sure what you changed about your level, but what needs to be fixed is the chest path. All you have to do is follow the picture I posed earlier.
I dont get it. The only thing in the picture I noticed is that you perfer the roof lower.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yes, so you don't have to walk inside of the dirt (which looks bad). Instead, you walk on top of the dirt like you normally would.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

limepie20 wrote:Yes, so you don't have to walk inside of the dirt (which looks bad). Instead, you walk on top of the dirt like you normally would.
It is not like going in front of dirt tiles is a new gimmick. It happens all the time in hacks but its never been a problem before.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Yeah, I'm fine with going in front of dirt tiles, but the awkward part is walking on the dirt-roof tile.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

limepie20 wrote:Yeah, I'm fine with going in front of dirt tiles, but the awkward part is walking on the dirt-roof tile.
Well, at some point you actually do have to go on the roof anyway.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

May I just remind you that the opening message the this hack is "Video games ?!?". No one is going to get upset with a detail like that
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

It is a very easy error to fix. The level can be cleared, but I will just fix the chest path in post-clearing anyway.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

limepie20 wrote:It is a very easy error to fix. The level can be cleared, but I will just fix the chest path in post-clearing anyway.
I assume that's means you're going to go yy-chr on the roof/floor.
tenta

Post by tenta »

Oh damn. I forgot about one thing. MUSIC. The one that is currently in the level is not the one i want :/

Edit: La joie de glisser + txt
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

@ tenta: The link you've provided is dead. Can you provide a new one, please?
tenta

Post by tenta »

SyStemkraSh5642 wrote:@ tenta: The link you've provided is dead. Can you provide a new one, please?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1272&start=200

Check last post.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Wait, tenta, didn't you already submit?
tenta

Post by tenta »

limepie20 wrote:Wait, tenta, didn't you already submit?
Yes i did. This is why i posted a link to the level submission thread to systemkrash.
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

@ tenta: Your level is cleared! There are only two issues that I can think of, but I'll tweak them for you after I insert it.
I only have two gripes with your level:
1: On Screen 09, you can be ambushed by the flying goomba below.
2: In this screenshot, it's a bit strange to have the inside of this landform be non-solid.
muuma

Post by muuma »

Hello, it's been a month since I said "I'll post my re-edition of the level next week!".

Sorry, too busy with work.

Whatever, I remade my level, so as limepie20 said, I'll post everything here about my level again:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s22g5z0l2mya0a7

Mediafire link because A2MT ips is now too big and cannot be uploaded in this message. XD

Tell me if something is wrong with it, otherwise, I'll be waiting for your opinion.

edit: Posted the 02 December, reposting the 02 January the full message as a bump, as I saw no download and/or clearing, I hope this post didn't fall into oblivion, I'm not sure it's normal if there is no answer in a month...right? Because if that's natural, I don't mean to be an attenton whore.
I see what you did there...
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

muuma wrote:Hello, it's been a month since I said "I'll post my re-edition of the level next week!".

Sorry, too busy with work.

Whatever, I remade my level, so as limepie20 said, I'll post everything here about my level again:
http://www.mediafire.com/?s22g5z0l2mya0a7

Mediafire link because A2MT ips is now too big and cannot be uploaded in this message. XD

Tell me if something is wrong with it, otherwise, I'll be waiting for your opinion.

edit: Posted the 02 December, reposting the 02 January the full message as a bump, as I saw no download and/or clearing, I hope this post didn't fall into oblivion, I'm not sure it's normal if there is no answer in a month...right? Because if that's natural, I don't mean to be an attenton whore.
The only thing that bothers me about this level right now is the thwomps. It doesn't add anything (except the graphics) and this game already has an over-saturation of them. I wouldn't mind to see more creative use of that space if possible, even if it does use thwomps.

It's of clearing quality as of now, but I don't handle the baserom.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

He's right about the thwomp thing. I've already created a level that heavily uses them, it's been inserted for awhile now. Though it's because of the line guided sections and other things that made it pass just barley. So you're gonna have to mix it up and keep the attention off the thwomps unless they are custom scripted or something of that nature.

For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnx9E12HR0
This is not my inserted level just an example.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

muuma:
I'm actually fine with the twomps. I think they add a bit to the gameplay.
The part I didn't like was that hallway right before the midpoint. It really isn't fun at all to be facing one enemy at a time, and it isn't creative level design either. You should really come up with a way to have many enemies on screen but in a way that their positions help you figure out where to go or what to do or something. You know, gameplay conducive to the gimmick.
Also, you used a falling platform at one point. I could tell it would fall because of the rounded edges, but I'm sure three-fourths of the people playing would die the first time they saw it. You can do one of two things (or both) to fix this problem. Either have a part beforehand where you use the platform but in a harmless manner like having it over the ground rather than a pit, but if you jump off it you can bypass some enemies or something. In fact, this falling platform is only used once in the entire level, you should try to incorporate it more. The other thing you can do is add diagonal lines to the platform, so people can recognize it more.
Another problem is the moving pits. The first time I saw it (in that cave before the midpoint), I thought it was just a regular pit, so I died to it. I really do think they are unfair in this level because while enemy patterns are predictable (koopas turn at ledges, sparkies turn at corners) the moving platform moves x number of spaces (that most people don't know) and turns depending on its place in Lunar Magic (which no one knows except for you). You can't see, so it just feels like luck most of the time, and is kind of annoying.
I felt that the boss was almost impossible. This is probably solely because of the moving pit. I really don't have a sense of where it is, and I can't even get up on top of one grabbable block. I think the boss will really benefit and be more fun rather than frustrating if you remove the moving platform. It is still creative without it because you have to predict the boo's movement.
Although I had many complaints, I still like the level a lot. The gimmick is great and thought-provoking. You really need to be circumspect, and that's interesting. I liked the level up to that cave before the midpoint. Everything there is fine, and I don't think it requires any big changes.

Now I know this is probably harsh considering I cleared it before, but if you think about it, there's not much to do. Just change a small section before the boss and remove one sprite from the boss. When I cleared this I probably still had under-developed thoughts on level design, but I've learned a lot since then. Please bear with me because my main goal is to make the level as fun as possible. I thought the first half was really fun, but the parts after it were a bit frustrating. Just think of what you can do to make it really fun.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

limepie20 wrote:I felt that the boss was almost impossible. This is probably solely because of the moving platform. I really don't have a sense of where it is, and I can't even get up on top of one grabbable block. I think the boss will really benefit and be more fun rather than frustrating if you remove the moving platform. It is still creative without it because you have to predict the boo's movement.
Almost impossible? I'm not sure we've fought the some boss. I had no problems getting up there. I don't even remember a moving platform in that room.

I also like the enemy placement as it fits with the level very well. It's all about standing in the right place on the screen when lights go out.

Also, while the falling platform could be used more, I thought that the "!" was a fair enough indication.(I agree that the platform itself could use a facelift)

The long twomp section could have a better use of them as it's jump a simple spin jump challenge at this point.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Almost impossible? I'm not sure we've fought the some boss. I had no problems getting up there. I don't even remember a moving platform in that room.
Well I meant the moving pit incase there's any confusion. That was my main problem with it.
I also like the enemy placement as it fits with the level very well. It's all about standing in the right place on the screen when lights go out.
See, it's just that I found that part boring because you can't deny that most of it was waiting for the next enemy to come. I'd like something with more thought than a hallway with one enemy on every other sceen.
Also, while the falling platform could be used more, I thought that the "!" was a fair enough indication.(I agree that the platform itself could use a facelift)
Yeah, now that you mention it, I remember the exclamation point last time I played this level. I didn't see it when I just played it, though, which is odd. I may check back on that, but the "!" is good enough indication if it is there then. Sorry!
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned

limepie20 wrote:
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:Almost impossible? I'm not sure we've fought the some boss. I had no problems getting up there. I don't even remember a moving platform in that room.
Well I meant the moving pit incase there's any confusion. That was my main problem with it.
That pit in the baserom and not the IPS patch muuma linked, So problem is already fixed.
limepie20 wrote:See, it's just that I found that part boring because you can't deny that most of it was waiting for the next enemy to come. I'd like something with more thought than a hallway with one enemy on every other sceen.
Any more enemies and it would be quite difficult. I don't know about what's in the baserom now but it's essentially enemies showing up not on the side of the screen, but from the darkness.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

well, I liked the dark hallway part. It's not exactly the most action-filled stage, but I really liked the feel of being afraid. Often times I would look really cautiously for incoming enemies, then, when the lights turned back on I'd have a spark enemy in my face, but it really sets the tone for this.

Sure, the hallway could be better or more interesting, but it's definitely good as it is.
The boss is really tough, but definitely beatable and you also get a midpoint just before that.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Alright, I see where you guts are coming from. I'll try it out again tomorrow and see.
muuma

Post by muuma »

Thanks limepie for the PM about the answers here about my level, I kinda forgot.

Haha limepie, you tested the WRONG level, the one in the baserom in fact, I put a mediafire link in my post on the previous page with my re-edition of the level, I really lol'd and had a mindfuck first because I was wondering what you were talking about. :)

Okay so, I can do a few things first:
-Franky, Septentrion Pleiades: The thwomps at the end of the level before the boss? Well yeah, I wanted to add a little final thing before the boss involving spinjumps, I tried different things and in the end, this "flat" spinjump section with the light on and off was the more stable thing I could get, and staying in equilibrium on a thwomp when the light is off is already challenging for me, as you have to travel on them while the light is off by moments, well I'll think about it, if I can't find anything, I'll just remove this part.
(edit: no really, I don't know many ideas, if you have some ideas, please tell me.)

-limepie20: the falling platform? Yes, I can edit it like a "flat" one, so people will be sure it falls, along with the "!" warning.

-about the hallway: well, I changed this part in my re-edition of the level, it's more short here and you just deal with a few ennemies (4 to be precise) and the last two ennemies in the hallway (eeries and koopa kick shell) have a good surprising effect, and it's fast enough, so I guess I'll let it like that.

Well I'll try to modify that first, and I'll wait for limepie's comment on my new version before reuploading something (if he says there is something to modify).
I see what you did there...
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

muuma:
What happened is I keep all the roms I play, and when I downloaded the new one I named it something like "muuma new" and I must've accidentally played "muuma" which would be the one originally posted in the clearing thread. Sorry!
The first thing I saw is that you used the placeholder "down only" blocks. I recommend using a different graphic for them, but it is not necessary. Also, I think it is more intuitive if the "!" is right above the falling platform. I like it there. In addition, I recommend using the midpoint bar from the extended objects, so it reappears unless you can't because it is the custom midpoint. But I think the two should be compatible. I feel the boss is difficult, but fair. It's actually fun and a bit of a mental challenge.
So none of the problems of the version I criticized are present here. I really enjoyed playing this.
This remake is cleared, and you can submit it! Just fix those minor errors first, though.
Allow me to make a small suggestion, though. I did enjoy the first sublevel more than the first. I'd like it if you made the first sublevel a little longer. But that's your choice.