ASM: Request, help and general discussion

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: ASM Help Thread

Post by AUS »

Kil2 wrote:You downloaded the correct files. When you renamed returnaddr did you change both of them? If you change one, you have to change the other. Also are you testing on a rom with romi's addmusic on it? It needs that to load the music. Anyway your code should work in the final rom.
#1: Yes.
#2: No, but it has music added to it. Not romi. Have I doomed myself?

Code: Select all

level12A: 
!SONGNUM = #$03

LDA $1DFB
      CMP #$09
      BNE MUSICLOADRETURN
      LDA !SONGNUM
      STA $1DFB

ADDMUSICJML:

STA $0DDA            
      LDA #$11      
      STA $0100      

STZ $4200      

LDA $13BF
      PHA
      STZ $13BF

LDA $0DAE      
      PHA         
      LDA $0DAF      
      PHA         

PHK         
      PER RETURNADDFR-1   

TDC
      PHA
      PLB

TXA
      JML [$9741]

RETURNADDFR:         

PLA         
      STA $0DAF   
      PLA   
      STA $0DAE      

LDA #$14      
      STA $0100      

PLA
      STA $13BF

LDA #$81      
      STA $4200   

MUSICLOADRETURN:
   RTS
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

No, you just won't be able to test the music change. It'll work in the final rom though.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

I would rather have it for testing aswell, but apparently I screwed that one up. :lol:

Thank you for your help kil. :)
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

Okay, so how do shooters work? I've been trying to make one for two days now and I can't seem to make it happen - it doesn't even show up ingame. Does someone have a simple shooter that does nothing but periodically create a simple custom sprite I can use for future reference? Because I'm kind of at a loss here, which sucks because my level is mainly based around shooters.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Kil2 wrote:No, you just won't be able to test the music change. It'll work in the final rom though.
It doesn't seem to be working.
I decided I need it to work for testing, so I extracted my map16 and level, then put them into the baserom, downloaded romi's addmusic and got it to work so that the music is all in there, but when I inserted level.asm, the game bugged at "hey there everyone" and wouldn't continue.

Also znes said checksum error in the bottom right for a few seconds when I turned on the rom.

In the attachments is the IPS file of the rom how it was immediately before inserting the ASM. If you can get it to work, that would be a life saver.

P.S. the death music is located at music slot 73.
Last edited by AUS 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

Um.. Can somebody make a simple block which slows you down a little when you're walking in it?
Like if you were walking in dirt or something.

And only the top part would have effect, not the sides or the bottom.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

AUS wrote:
Kil2 wrote:No, you just won't be able to test the music change. It'll work in the final rom though.
I decided I need it to work for testing, so I extracted my map16 and level, then put them into the baserom, downloaded romi's addmusic and got it to work so that the music is all in there, but when I inserted level.asm, the game bugged at "hey there everyone" and wouldn't continue.

Also znes said checksum error in the bottom right for a few seconds when I turned on the rom.

In the attachments is the IPS file of the rom how it was immediately before inserting the ASM. If you can get it to work, that would be a life saver.

In the base rom, there is a lot of important stuff at $938E00, so you can't patch levelasm there. In the clean roms I'm using it's free. Setting !freespace = in level.asm to something else (try $A1FE00) should fix it.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Kil2 wrote:
AUS wrote:

In the base rom, there is a lot of important stuff at $938E00, so you can't patch levelasm there. In the clean roms I'm using it's free. Setting !freespace = in level.asm to something else (try $A1FE00) should fix it.
The one you gave me to try didn't work, I'll keep trying them at random untill I do. Random because I'm still ignorant and naive.

EDIT; I think it's the xkas I have that's the problem. I'm going to go track down a better version.
EDIT2: It's not.
Last edited by AUS 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Terry von Feleday wrote:Okay, so how do shooters work? I've been trying to make one for two days now and I can't seem to make it happen - it doesn't even show up ingame. Does someone have a simple shooter that does nothing but periodically create a simple custom sprite I can use for future reference? Because I'm kind of at a loss here, which sucks because my level is mainly based around shooters.
Since you are looking for a shooter that spawns custom sprites, might I recommend this sprite pack?
Terry von Feleday

Wow, that does exactly what I want! Thanks!

Now to mess around with it a little...
Terry von Feleday

Whee, I made my first working shooty explody thing!

Next question: Is there a way to have a shooter alter the behaviour of te sprite it shoots based on whether its extra bit is set? Say I have a shooter that shoots to the right but if I set the extra bit I want it to shoot left instead, or maybe behave entirely differently.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

Kil2 wrote:
AUS wrote:

The one you gave me to try didn't work, I'll keep trying them at random untill I do. Random because I'm still ignorant and naive.

EDIT; I think it's the xkas I have that's the problem. I'm going to go track down a better version.
EDIT2: It's not.
On the rom you sent me $938E00 worked after following the instructions in the first post. I dunno what's going on over there. Here's some updated code but it won't help whatever problem you're having.

Code: Select all

!SONGNUM = #$03
		STZ $1FFF
		BRA +
	-	RTS
	+	LDA $2142
		CMP #$09
		BNE -
		LDA !SONGNUM
		STA $1DFB
ADDMUSICJML:

STA $0DDA				
		LDA #$11		
		STA $0100		

STZ $4200		

LDA $13BF
		PHA
		STZ $13BF

LDA $0DAE		
		PHA			
		LDA $0DAF		
		PHA			

PHK			
		PER RETURNADDY-1	

TDC
		PHA
		PLB

TXA
		JML [$9741]

RETURNADDY:			

PLA			
		STA $0DAF	
		PLA	
		STA $0DAE		

LDA #$14		
		STA $0100		

PLA
		STA $13BF

LDA #$81		
		STA $4200	

RTS
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

Question: What's a safe piece of free RAM to use? Do we have signups for it?
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

If the value doesn't need to be saved inter-level then you can probably just use whatever you can find like $1FFF or the 32 bytes at $0660
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Ok, whatever problem AUS has I have it to, my thing won't patch either.

Could you like make a video of you patching it so we know EXACTLY which things to put where and figure out how we messed up?
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

fine
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

I updated the first post.
KingTwelveSixteen

What is "REVERT.asm"? I don't have that. Also my thing won't even go without "levelpointers.asm" and "levelinit.asm" (This is in addition to "levelinitcodes.asm") why does yours go?

Also, how did you get your things to open automatically to lunar magic?
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

You don't need those files if you are using the latest version. If you're not using the latest version just drop those files in there, it will work the same way. You don't need revert.asm at all.
KingTwelveSixteen

You know what, screw asm. I have spent literally HOURS trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with this stupid thing and why it won't work for me even on a freaking clean rom. I followed the instructions TO THE LETTER and it just keeps messing up. I will be back to finish my level without the stupid asm thing after I get over the like 8 hours I've wasted trying to fix this. :x :x :x :x
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

Anyone else want it then? I added a little thing where if you touch some water, it refreshes your "thirst" level. It could fit in some such fire or desert level with oases scattered about.
VideoGuy

Post by VideoGuy »

I feel like such a noob right now. I've used Spritetool, Blocktool, other XKAS patches, but I just can't get LevelASM to work. Are you sure the freespace is valid? Because I just ran the Base ROM through slogger and there's nothing listed higher than 7E8000, so how do you have something starting with A1? Or am I doing something completely wrong?
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

I'm not using the base rom so I don't know. I just looked in the rom and converted the address. Depending on the mapping it may be $21FE00 intead
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

So - is it true that you can LevelASM away the hud? If so, may I please get the code?

If I can that + the feather kill thing to work together, and have all my music together, I think I'll be ready to test it for real, and adjust for gameplay and whatnot.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KingTwelveSixteen

Ok, I MIGHT have overreacted a little. I'm all calmed down now.

I'll give it another try to see if that new code thingy you just put in works.