(shouting)

ASM: Request, help and general discussion

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
VideoGuy

Re: ASM Help Thread

Post by VideoGuy »

I believe that's what anti_boo is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Accepting any and all ASM requests for A2MT. Just send me a PM.
Note: If I accepted your ASM request and you never heard back from me, please let me know. I feel like I've forgotten a few of them.
Also the creator of the new A2MT CMS. PM me if you have any questions.
Youtube Channel
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

VideoGuy wrote:I believe that's what anti_boo is. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
That one doesn't follow you if you don't look at it.

And it dives down to low to hurt you if you're standing still.
Personalness

Post by Personalness »

Could somebody please write up a code that doubles the speed of sprites in sublevel A4? And also give me instructions as to how i would go about applying this code to my level?
I have a difficult time conveying what I want to say.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

DaxterSpeed wrote:Can I use LevelASM to do simple ROM edits level wise? I'd like to enable free scrolling by changing $00:F878 to 80. Is that just some simple org db in the LevelASM, or is it impossible?

(I'd like it enable cause of level being easier to do with that enabled)
You can't make rom edits on a per level basis with level asm. You would have to apply some kind of patch to the rom.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

Terry von Feleday wrote:Do say, is there a simple way to check if a sprite touches anything, be it player, sprite, floor or wall? I know how to make it check everything seperately but I have this suspicion there's an easier way to do it.
The only way I can think of is checking the Sprites Blocked table.

Code: Select all

$7E:1588	12 bytes	Sprites	Sprite blocked status table. Format: xxxxUDLR.
That will tell you if a sprite is blocked in some direction.
DaxterSpeed

Post by DaxterSpeed »

Kil2 wrote:
DaxterSpeed wrote:Can I use LevelASM to do simple ROM edits level wise? I'd like to enable free scrolling by changing $00:F878 to 80. Is that just some simple org db in the LevelASM, or is it impossible?
You can't make rom edits on a per level basis with level asm. You would have to apply some kind of patch to the rom.
Well, I just noticed that that change was already in... :?

Must check these things more properly.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

Personalness wrote:Could somebody please write up a code that doubles the speed of sprites in sublevel A4? And also give me instructions as to how i would go about applying this code to my level?
Actually it seems this isn't trivial unless you reinsert a modified disassembly of each sprite.
randoguy101
spicey tomato
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by randoguy101 »

Is there any specific way to make Demo turn invisible for the rest of the level? (Not an evil trick, don't worry)
- randoguy101
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

randoguy101 wrote:Is there any specific way to make Demo turn invisible for the rest of the level? (Not an evil trick, don't worry)

LDA #$03
STA $78
I believe this will do just that. Just note that it won't turn the cape or Yoshi replacement invisible, just Demo herself.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

How would I change the melody that plays when you die for just my level?
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

While not impossible, that'd be extremely difficult and would require external patching.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Sounds like fun, how would I go about doing it? :) I bet I sound so naive.
Last edited by AUS 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
KingTwelveSixteen
? Title Title Title Title ?

Post by KingTwelveSixteen »

Kil2 wrote:[stuff]
How to insert Levelasm in 1 easy step

1.0) Go to smwc and download "Ersanio's level ASM + INIT" from the patches section
1.1) Dump all the files in your main folder
1.2) Go to start menu > accessories > command prompt, and copy that into the same folder
1.3) Open the level.asm file and change !freespace = $xxxxxxxx to some freespace. $938E00 was free on an expanded rom I checked
1.4) Get xkas from somewhere and dump it in the main folder
1.5) Open levelcodes.asm and copy your levelasm code to the corresponding level
1.6) Open the command prompt in the folder and type [xkas level.asm ROMNAME.smc]
1.7) That's it.
A couple of questions:

1. What do you mean by main folder?
2. I just put a copy of command prompt in the folder for ease of use right?
3. What is xkas?
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

1. The main folder is the one with all the stuff you need. Whichever folder you're going to dump all this stuff into is the main folder.
2. Yes. If you know how to navigate directories from the command prompt you don't need to copy it.
3 .xkas translates asm files into machine code and patches them into the rom. You can download it from smwc.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

AUS wrote:Sounds like fun, how would I go about doing it? :) I bet I sound so naive.
Actually I thought of a much easier way. Just some levelasm that checks if the normal death music was told to play which cancels it before it can start and then loads whatever other song you want played.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

... and it works. So it turns out it's really really easy to have custom death/goal music for any level you wish. Wish we had known that for asmt.
KingTwelveSixteen

Kil2 wrote:... and it works. So it turns out it's really really easy to have custom death/goal music for any level you wish. Wish we had known that for asmt.
...Did you just suddenly figure out something nobody else knew about? 'Cause that would be awesome.

"'xkas' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
I don't know what I did wrong but that was the message my command prompt gave me.
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

KingTwelveSixteen wrote:
Kil2 wrote:... and it works. So it turns out it's really really easy to have custom death/goal music for any level you wish. Wish we had known that for asmt.
...Did you just suddenly figure out something nobody else knew about? 'Cause that would be awesome.

"'xkas' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
I don't know what I did wrong but that was the message my command prompt gave me.
The death music works.

And the only reason it would say that is if you didn't put xkas in the same folder with everything else.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Fantastic, so can you help me out?
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

Use this levelasm. I can't test it because I don't have addmusic patched in my test rom but it should work.

level105:

!SONGNUM = #$03

LDA $1DFB
		CMP #$09
		BNE MUSICLOADRETURN
		LDA !SONGNUM
		STA $1DFB

ADDMUSICJML:

STA $0DDA				
		LDA #$11		
		STA $0100		

STZ $4200		

LDA $13BF
		PHA
		STZ $13BF

LDA $0DAE		
		PHA			
		LDA $0DAF		
		PHA			

PHK			
		PER RETURNADDR-1	

TDC
		PHA
		PLB

TXA
		JML [$9741]

RETURNADDR:			

PLA			
		STA $0DAF	
		PLA	
		STA $0DAE		

LDA #$14		
		STA $0100		

PLA
		STA $13BF

LDA #$81		
		STA $4200	

MUSICLOADRETURN:
	RTS
change !SONGNUM = #$03 to the number of the song you want to tplay when you die
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Thank you very much kil. I'll edit this post if it doesn't work. EDIT: I'm not sure if it works or not.
Last edited by AUS 14 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
KingTwelveSixteen

It turned out I was using a shortcut to the command prompt instead of an actual copy. Now I apparently did something else wrong since the screen is all black instead of actually playing the game, BUT I WILL FIX IT!
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

I downloaded [Xkas] Ersanio's LevelASM + Init v1.3 from http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=list&type=patches but when I typed in xkas and crap in cmd it said it's not a valid run thing.

Then I downloaded xkas v0.06 (unofficial) from http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=list&type=tools and this time I just get an error, something about RETURNADDR ALREADY DEFINED or something.

Instead of having me run around downloading random things hopelessly, could you point me to what exactly to download?

Yes, it's all in the same folder with my rom.
EDIT: I have an idea, one sec.
EDIT2: The idea was good (I renamed returnaddr so it wouldn't conflict) but now the game just crashes after Hey there raocow!

Probably because the files I downloaded are incorrect.
Last edited by AUS 14 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
KingTwelveSixteen

Ok, yeah. I have no idea how to fix it.

I think that the problem is where I put the stuff, I was supposed to put all that stuff you made for me in the level I am using right?
Kil2

Post by Kil2 »

You guys need to get rid of "level105:" and put all the code after whatever level you have by the way.
AUS wrote:I downloaded [Xkas] Ersanio's LevelASM + Init v1.3 from http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=list&type=patches but when I typed in xkas and crap in cmd it said it's not a valid run thing.

Then I downloaded xkas v0.06 (unofficial) from http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=list&type=tools and this time I just get an error, something about RETURNADDR ALREADY DEFINED or something.

Instead of having me run around downloading random things hopelessly, could you point me to what exactly to download?

Yes, it's all in the same folder with my rom.
EDIT: I have an idea, one sec.
EDIT2: The idea was good (I renamed returnaddr so it wouldn't conflict) but now the game just crashes after Hey there raocow!

Probably because the files I downloaded are incorrect.
You downloaded the correct files. When you renamed returnaddr did you change both of them? If you change one, you have to change the other. Also are you testing on a rom with romi's addmusic on it? It needs that to load the music. Anyway your code should work in the final rom.