(shouting)

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Re: Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comment

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Spoiler below. Sorry raocowz.

I've just decided to scrap that new section I've been worrking on, YCZ asm file will not work. I've already started a different section though so I'm gonna just continue forward. This time I'm going for a mix of Zaquzas hell and that other red final level. It'll have the torchlight and all, and I'm thinking of importing that no spin jump asm for the disco shells. It wont be as ridiculous though, still challenging but with more space to maneuver. Though man, I could really make this one epic. The palette and darkness reminds me of a Yoshi's island level I made called Chomp The Wickeds Castle.

Anyway I think that setup is perfect Limepie. It wont take long at all to get these other four sections complete. I'm focusing on them for now and after I will go through and fix all the problems with the first four sections. This way the levels will only need to be edited and the layouts finished. I'll pay a little more attention this time so that there are less problems.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Lv27MarkerMMan:
I'm really sorry, but I didn't find the level very enjoyable. But it's nothing wrong with your level design skills, it's just fundamentally, the gimmick isn't fun. It feels really unfair to be forced to just hope on a few flames the entire level and was kinda frustrating. I remember one level (I think "The Meaning of Sharp") has a section where you have to bounce on a thwomp but it follows you so no matter where you go, it is always right under you. You don't have to worry about try to stay over a one tile object and can worry about the other obstacles. Now, I'm not recommending using it because it would be a rehash of the same gimmick, but I just want you to see that this level was more frustrating than fun. If you think about it, the gimmick must've limited your level design because all there really was was a few spikes and sparkies. I really like the other levels that you made, and I think if you try a new approach to the level or something entirely different, you can make something great!
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

This should be better.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/jw2c1txuh1h8nr ... 0.ips?dl=1

To play it go in the house level and enter the second door.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I think it's neat as an easy, themed, boss-like sublevel.
The gameplay is REALLY cenetered around spinjumping, but I think that's okay, as it doesn't get too repetitive.
Other than that, the megaspikes look nice and special with that palette, but the other visuals are really flat and generic, especially the cement blocks look out of place. Those and the bridge blocks should probably be adjusted to the fire theme, also considering the bridge tiles don't really look right placed like this.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Keep in mind I've not added powerups yet in this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsL6IkjpBoI

Here's an updated version of section #5. Tell me what you guys think! I have about 4 screens left and the entire level will be used and I will release an IPS of that section.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

The non-solid BG/FG tiles look irritating, at the part where you have to turn the turnblock and walk through the red tiled background, I really didn't see anywhere to go until you walked through it.
(There isn't much room for experimentation when you are chased by disco)
And then Demo's feet peek through at the places where layer priority enabled and disabled tiles intersect, you could just make the solid tiles layer priority enabled as well.

Other than that, I like it all around, especially the difficulty seems very fitting for this kind of level, as it's not too long and has these typical scary, but very doable parts.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Lv27:
If you wait for a second where you spawn, you will die to the bowser statue to the right of you. Anyway, this is a much better level and I like it. I just have two other gripes. Firstly, unlike Paralars, I don't like the spike's palette at all. I think it just looks weird and messy. You can keep the same colors, but just try to make it look more natural like lighter colors going to darker. I also didin't like that one jump where you had to jump on a podoboo to get over a spike because the timing was really hard. It was the place where the podoboo came up over the last tile of a bridge and there were also some piranha plants on the bridge just so you don't get confused.

Franky:
I can't really say much without testing but nothing looks fundamentally wrong! One suggestion I have is at the one part where the vine eats up the one way arrows, you should use map16 to have a cement block or something act like the arrows, so they don't look out of place (like they currently do). This is fine because they still fit the function (you never need to go backwards through the block).
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I could do that, I wasn't sure if it would be frowned upon or not. I kept thinking people would remember kazio if it was used with cement blocks like in Cool or Cruel and other kaizo difficulty hacks.

Limepie, do you think I should finish off with the disco shell? Or do you think that's too repetitive?
The thing is, those shells create a bunch of slowdown when mixed with other sprites, so mixing them is not as easy as one would think. And I have about four screens left so not much room to introduce another gimmick unless it was mixed with the disco shell.
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

You're not required to fill all the screens of every level. If you feel satisfied with what you have or feel that you've exhausted everything you can with the disco shell, you can end it there. There is no reason to make four extra screens for the sake of filling the level. From what I hear, it seems like you're done with this sublevel.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

limepie20 wrote:You're not required to fill all the screens of every level. If you feel satisfied with what you have or feel that you've exhausted everything you can with the disco shell, you can end it there. There is no reason to make four extra screens for the sake of filling the level. From what I hear, it seems like you're done with this sublevel.
I can still incorporate it in more ways and polish things more. I was just wondering if people think an entire section mainly based on the disco shell would be repetitive. I could also stop here, but it's really no problem finishing it. That entire section has probably taken a combined two hours off and on to make. When I get into the zone things go quick. I think once you get a good eye for determining if things will work, you can keep things going quickly without trying to rush things.

I feel like I need to mix it up a bit more in the last 3 sections though! By the way the ASMT final level song is great. Who made it?
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I don't know who made the music. Someone who was part of asmt dev could probably answer.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Franky wrote:I feel like I need to mix it up a bit more in the last 3 sections though! By the way the ASMT final level song is great. Who made it?
Courage & Pride From the Heart - Sword of Mana

Hurray for youtube commenters!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Franky wrote:I feel like I need to mix it up a bit more in the last 3 sections though! By the way the ASMT final level song is great. Who made it?
Courage & Pride From the Heart - Sword of Mana

Hurray for youtube commenters!
I actually like the SMW port better. What's even crazier is that I've put (it says) 40 hours into this game on the GBA. But didn't recognize it. I even have the GSF soundtrack for the game. Either I didn't recognize it or I've not got to the area where it's used.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Here's an update! Obvious problems: need to fix that vine part, as well as Demos feet showing under the things. It'd also be nice if Demo didn't appear behind them. I'll fix those things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rivb95RBnQ

Here's a video though, after I finish known problems with this section I am going to go fix anything wrong with the previous four sections and then release an IPS patch so we can get these five ready to go. I plan all this today, it shouldn't need to take very long to do these things! My thoughts: I feel like that last coin jumping section with the mega spikes might be too much. I mean it's very possible, but unless you go exactly when you arrive on the platform you wont make it. So you'd have to wait for them (mega spikes) to go down and up again then go. The main problem with that is that some people may not know you should go asap or wait. So that could pose problems!
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

I didn't play it, but the jump through the spike+block at the vine part is too hard
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Paralars wrote:I didn't play it, but the jump through the spike+block at the vine part is too hard
If you read my post you'd know that part still needs to be fixed. not being rude here just letting ya know. :P Thanks for bringing the feet thing to my attention by the way, I didn't notice it until I added those last screens. Trust me it will not be that way, nor will the vine part! Since the vine cannot eat through two cement blocks like that I need to figure that part out.
Paralars

Post by Paralars »

why not just make it like it was before? If you want to get rid of the arrow tiles, you might as well use the sprite-only blocks or rope tiles instead.
By the way, have you checked if it's possible for the disco shell to get stuck in the megaspikes and lifted into the ceiling?
Lv27MarkerMMan

Post by Lv27MarkerMMan »

Based on the suggestions, behold version 3!
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/p099criart6l4p ... 3.ips?dl=1
go in the second door in the house level

@Limpie20
about that difficult jump

Is it okay if there are 3 different ways past that part? The podoboo is not the only way across. There are other things you can spin jump on. I think I made things more reasonable in this version.
Don't be afraid to check out my Youtube channel.
I am making let's plays now!
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Hey guys. Here's a new IPS file below for the Final level. The first two doors and the first room of the in progress 2nd pair of doors are fully playable. I've edited all of the previous sections in some manner aside from the auto scrolling level which seems to have had good feedback so far.

http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13122/A2MT% ... ection.ips

I think the entrance sequence to the snow level doesn't look too bad. But I can change it if needed.
Have fun testing!

Edit: I'll be adding a reset pipe to the P switch section at the end of the snow door. I also need to fix the thwomp sound still.

Here's a little test video of me trying some sprites for a 6th section. I'm not sure on anything at this point. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmZmKKerInc
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

I took a glance into it and the first thing I have to say:
The stompers don't work anymore...
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Jolpengammler wrote:I took a glance into it and the first thing I have to say:
The stompers don't work anymore...
What do you mean by Stompers? I've also noticed the entrance level was set to no vertical scroll. Maybe that was my current version but it's fixed now. Also waiting on a reply from YCZ for the homing thwomp sound. I sent him the asm file so that he can edit the sound and then I'll re insert it as sprite 7D.
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

with "stomper" I mean the ones in the factory section
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Jolpengammler wrote:with "stomper" I mean the ones in the factory section
Ahh! Yeah I was trying to test a smash generator. i must have forgot to put the default smash sprite back. Thanks for letting me know.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

I've now fixed the thwomp sound with a little help from YCZ. Also, I removed the line of code that triggers switches because it's not needed for me at this point.
Awakenyourmind
Muwha!

Post by Awakenyourmind »

Here's an IPS! I'd say 80 percent finished with the final level?
http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/13122/A2MT% ... ercent.ips

He's a video of me sorta speed running the level. 10 minute video. Unlisted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVC4cKaT0mM

I've fixed that little tile misplacement in the snow level, so if you see it in this video know that it's already been edited in the IPS!