Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
Tails_155
May be dead.
First name: Kit/Tails
Pronouns: he/him/his

Testing and Development: Deadline-one week after comments

Post by Tails_155 »

CURRENT BASEROM: A2MT 3.12
This is the base rom of what you should be using to make your level. Download this, patch a clean copy of SMW, and then open this with Lunar Magic. Start building your level from that.

This thread is for you to post your beta level for testing, bugfixing, and opinions.
When posting here, please, again, keep in mind that people are putting effort into their levels, and because of that, post respectfully, and with helpful critism. Rudeness will not be tolerated. We're working as a team to make something great here.

We want screens (either Prnt Scrn and paste, uploaded somewhere with a large enough resolution, or "File, Levels, Export Level to Bitmap File..." in LM, and upload it in your post (please don't post the graphic in the thread if you do this, most of it won't be visible anyway, we'll click links, also, as you'll notice, if you upload it on the forum, it's already visible WITH SCROLLING! Isn't that nifty?

WHY WE NEED RESPONSES:
DEADLINES every three weeks. You must meet every deadline with evidence of progress until your level is submitted or your level will be taken away.
This is in no way personal, it is just to make sure that people are pulling their weight and not holding onto coveted level slots.

CHESTS AND PARROT COINS:
You need FIVE parrot coins in each level and one chest.
The parrot coins should be like in smw. Not too hard to get, but a bit more of a challenge. The chest should be more hidden and harder to find.

HOW TO USE THE PARROT COINS:
Be in Object editing mode and press the Insert button. Under "Size/Type/Ext" you can put 9E, 9F, A0, A1, or A2. Each one of those blocks is a parrot coin. 9E is the first, 9F is the second, and so on... The graphics will look glitchy in Lunar Magic, but just ignore them. They work ingame.

HOW TO USE THE CHEST:
The chest is inserted in sprite 5C. Start inserting it into your levels. You can also edit what's inside the chest but you may need to learn how to use the chest patches first (download the chest in Diortem's thread; he explains it well).
How to insert the chest into a level:
First, get in sprite editing mode (the green shell). Press the Insert button on your key board and a little menu will pop up. For "Command", type 5C and for "Extra Bits", type 2. You can put anything for XY Position or Screen Number, that's just where it appears but you can still drag it around normally so it doesn't have much use unless you don't want to drag it across multiple screens. It will appear in Lunar Magic as a black box with an X going through it.

Rules! Pft, who likes 'em? Welp, you gotta abide, or you don't get your level inserted into the game.

-You are not allowed to use vanilla SMW Chucks as a Chuck graphic, and you may not use exgfx to get around this. Any attempts to getting around it will be unaccepted.
(Unless you are approved to do so by a hack moderator or Argumentable, in which case you must name who gave you permission.)
-YES You are still allowed to use the Chuck sprites, just don't make an ExGFX file just to keep the Chucks as Chucks.
-Exgfx to make the Chucks into something that isn't a Chuck is fine.
-Absolutely NO cat planet references. There is already an entire level dedicated to this. If you attempt to submit a level with a cat planet reference, it will not be accepted.
-No "cheap" raocow references
-NO KAIZO, however you still can make hard levels (we support this), but remember the difference between hard and unfair.

GENERAL INFORMATION!
SUPER IMPORTANT CHEST UPDATE OH YES:
In each of your levels you need to make sure there are 5 yoshicoins which are at least moderately tricky to find, and a place to put a collectible chest, which will be quite tricky to find. Information on how to insert the chests and how to pick a treasure for your level will come later.

Use Sprite 33 for anti_boo.

Warning about backgrounds: We are not making a HUD with a custom palette setting, so PLEASE do not use any of the red-bordered colors in the following image in your backgrounds, or we will demand you correct them, this means, likely, that there is no Yoshi's Island (as in SMW 2) backgrounds that will work (too many colors.)

Stuck for Level Ideas? .
Check out the Show and Tell Thread.
OR the Level Idea Thread

Still stuck? Why not take on one of the levels that didn't get finished?
Check the LOST LEVELS, here.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2483

From here on out, if you post something, the judges may flat out say "This is not A2MT material." If they do, that does not mean stop, it means go back to the drawing board and try again. Remember, we're looking for quality here. NPJB = Nothing Personal, Just Business (© Paste.)

The reigning mod in this thread is: limepie20, FlameOfDoubt, Wyatt, Terry von Feleday
Last edited by Tails_155 9 years ago, edited 29 times in total.
Reason: baserom
I'm member number 499 (⬤)∀(⬤)
Tails_155
May be dead.

Re: Testing and Development

Post by Tails_155 »

Doublepost for the sake of demonstration:

Hey there Tails, FoD, everyone this is... well... Tails

I've been working on that level I signed up for, you know? That level 101 thing? Here's my progress, using my custom graphics I will package with the level when I send it as a .mwl file, packaged with any custom graphics, blocks, and sprites I used (which I asked for ahead of time so I know which number they're supposed to be.)

For your convenience (optional, but strongly suggested, because it will prevent issues) I will also include this nifty text file with which GFX file goes in which slot (in case an issue arises,) which sprite number is which sprite (in case an issue arises,) where the blocks go (in case an issue arises,) and all the music slots' locations (IN CASE AN ISSUE ARISES,) so that way if something happens, you won't have to go digging through 2000 posts to find the one thing that might be missing! KTHXBAI! (Maybe this way less ISSUES WILL COME UP! -fingers crossed-)

Screenshots:
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

The idea for this level reminds me a lot of the Noah's Ark level in ASMT. I like it a lot. In fact, it would be funny if you added in a small reference to that level by having a small subroom where there is two of every enemy.
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

It already will have a Noah's ARGH! reference, I promise!
Spud Alpha

Post by Spud Alpha »

Sorry for not going through to look for this, but should we use LM 7.?(forget which is the latest decimal update)?

It'd be helpful for the sake of having a ton of Map16, so yah.

EDIT: wrong thread asdf. eh.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Hey guys here's my sequel level I'm already working on it. Or maybe it's already done?!
A2MT_00000.png
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

We hav srs hakk, mak thred srs, srsly. kthxbai Arg.
randoguy101
spicey tomato

Post by randoguy101 »

catplanet1.PNG
Not the most complete of things, but just showing that I'm actually working.
(the message boxes will be replaced with cats)
EDIT:
catplanet2.png
- randoguy101
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Definitely a quality start.

With the colorized HUD, and a fishtank! :D
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

Small little snippet:

Just an OT question but if SNES emulators are ever able to properly emulate fuzzy rooms would it be possible to port Fuzzy into SMW?
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

That'd be asking a lot, I think. YCZ or Chdata question.
LightSlei

Post by LightSlei »

Tails_155 wrote:That'd be asking a lot, I think. YCZ or Chdata question.
Nah, not for A2MT, that's why I said Off Topic, I was just wondering if something like that would ever be possible because that would probably make for some interesting hacks if that is ever possible.
Terry von Feleday

Post by Terry von Feleday »

tails, if you use hq graphics for the updated sprites they'll clash real bad with the ones we aren't reusing. i suggest using all graphics as they were in the first game for that level.

also i will not be able to rest until that level has the kanji for cobalt somewhere
Redbone

Post by Redbone »

Generic cave level thing.

No background because I'm lazy.
exists on occasion
Tails_155
May be dead.

Post by Tails_155 »

Same spot, Terry.

I was hoping that you could HQ the sprites :oops:

If you don't wanna go through all that trouble for 1 level, I understand.
TwoHeadedYoshi

Post by TwoHeadedYoshi »

my level so far. idk what other sprites to have in this level (ghost, wiggler, banzai etc.)

same with the cave

kilon

Post by kilon »

Don't know if this is the correct spot but the title also says testing, so putting it out there that I'm willing to test levels if you .. want to have them tested.
NOTE: I prefer (almost) finished levels as it's just irritating when it's just 7 screens or something.

Ofcourse I won't be available when I go on vacation but I'll let that all know when the time comes yadi yadi yada
Coolty

Post by Coolty »

Here's my level so far.. been working on it for about 5 hours straight...

This is obviously not done yet and I still have 3 sublevels to do...
Level10F.png
Gwaur

Post by Gwaur »

My level 11F is starting to shape out something like this.
Level11F.png
Suzumiya Haruhi is my wife. Oh yeah, she has interest in me!
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

That looks pretty neat. Btw, are those switch blocks actually green switch blocks or only Demo passes blocks?
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Just started drawing the tileset for my engine room level. This is what I have so far:
A2MT_00000.png
Given how bad I usually am at drawing graphics, I think this turned out rather nicely.

And now to draw some animating gears and wind-up keys as decoration. Who says you can't use clockwork to keep a space station going?
Gwaur

Post by Gwaur »

Yonowaaru wrote:That looks pretty neat. Btw, are those switch blocks actually green switch blocks or only Demo passes blocks?
Thank you. :) The green blocks are only Demo passes blocks. There are also only sprites pass blocks on the right of the two jumping piranhas. They are easier to see when actually playing the level.
Suzumiya Haruhi is my wife. Oh yeah, she has interest in me!
tatanga

Post by tatanga »

That's looking really nice, Yoshicookiezeus. BTW, what's the best way to record a ZSNES movie and upload it to youtube? I recorded a zmv, but is there a way to convert it to AVI or something uploadable?
Machoman

Post by Machoman »

tatanga wrote:That's looking really nice, Yoshicookiezeus. BTW, what's the best way to record a ZSNES movie and upload it to youtube? I recorded a zmv, but is there a way to convert it to AVI or something uploadable?
Use mencoder, just put it in the same folder as ZSNES.

Then in ZSNES just go to Movie Options -> Dumping.
Then choose your options and dump it to an AVI file.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Added some decorations. The keys, smoke leaks and gears all animate.
A2MT_00001.png
Time to start designing the level itself, I think. Perhaps I could try recoding the ball 'n chain disassembly into a pendulum?

tatanga: Here's a tutorial.