(shouting)

Sibling Halls (No more openings!)

Anthrax 2 Multiply Themodynamics
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Sibling Halls (No more openings!)

Post by raocow »

Might as well put all this discussion in its own thread now that it is going way beyond merely graphics.

Basically, it has been decided that the way the sibblings/end levels will be handled will be a little different. Because our boss-making ressources are limited, the thought, championned pretty heavily by Cup, of making small punchy levels featuring the sibblings could be used. NOTE - there can still be one or two 'real' bosses, I believe, as that would make them all the more surprising.

Also note for anyone participating in this - we need four 'endgame' difficulty, but also four 'midgame' difficulty, so keep that in mind, and let's all try to keep this balanced!

Anyone can obviously participate assuming you don't have another thing pending! (and even that is negociable)

The one thing in common - the idea is to use the portrait of the sibbling as the background, as drawn here. Bellow is what is available, and I'll write down if anyone has claimed interested in designing one. Also, yes, if you want to make a full-on boss it's still great, but not 'both' - either a level or a boss.

When these are completed, we'll go to the end-level levels and basically replace the endgoal with a second midpoint, and add in these sections.

Anyways!!
iris.png
iris.png (2.25 KiB) Viewed 11470 times
spitznagl (cleared)
garish.png
garish.png (2.34 KiB) Viewed 11470 times
Lv27MarkerMMan
The attachment pandamona.png is no longer available
raocow
The attachment nevada.png is no longer available
Schnurmanator
The attachment mishi.png is no longer available
Cup (cleared)
The attachment iris.png is no longer available
Franky
The attachment garish.png is no longer available
Jesuiscontent
The attachment calleoca.png is no longer available
Kerkec
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Re: Sibbling Halls

Post by raocow »

There was talk over on smwc the other day about 'bridging' production2 and this game and I still think it'd be a nice easter egg to use Calleoca's 'imitating other games' ability to make her bit from production2 graphics but that's just an idea. I might make one when I have the time, though I might want to keep working on the racoon tail first, or something.
Chdata

Re: Sibbling Halls (got some openings left)

Post by Chdata »

Haha those are neat backgrounds.
Trouble with a capital COW.

<math>\tan{A}\sin{N}</math>
Cup

Re: Sibling Halls (got some openings left)

Post by Cup »

I've done a fair bit more with Mishi!

Putting the update here, because this thread is new and exciting.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Maybe if i knew anything about them
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

^
After sending a PM to raocow asking if he could go into detail about the siblings, I google searched and found this. It DOES have spoilers, however.
BTW, the URL literally says "Don't Read, raocow".
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

Oh man, that was the old wiki from when flameofdoubt was around.

I thought we had all that information on the current wiki's story page, though.
http://asmtinfo.co.cc/page/story
Cup

Post by Cup »

A couple of people have asked me about using edit1754's online bg ripper, so I thought I'd go ahead and post how I normally approach it in the thread.

It's going to look really jumbled in yychr, don't worry about that. The tool knows where to put everything.

So the order of operations go:
  • 1 Edit the PNG so its y and x pixel totals are both multiples of 16
    2 Upload PNG to edit's bg ripper
    3 *I normally leave the other options blank and just rename the files later
    4 Choose your palette, map8, and map16 as the tool directs
    5 Unzip the files and open the level.mwl in lunar magic (level 25 unless you've changed it)
    6 Load the map16.bin the ripper gives you to the correct map16 page
    7 Name your ExGFX, add them to your folder, and insert into your rom
    8 Put those ExGFX into the map8 you chose with the Super GFX Bypass Dialog
    9 Your background should now look correct, edit as you see fit with the background editor.
    10 Save the level to the level you reserved with ctrl+i > your level number
You can cut out a few steps using some of the options in the tool, but I find I keep it better organized when I rename things later. The whole process takes about 2 minutes since raocow has already done the amazingly creative part and has drawn such pretty pictures in a way that smw can tolerate.
raocow

Post by raocow »

Argumentable wrote:Maybe if i knew anything about them
pily is big and round, pandemonia is in a box, iris is like demo but green and can't spinjump in asmt

that's about all there is
SyStemkraSh5642

Post by SyStemkraSh5642 »

I think I'll claim Calleoca since shapeshifting sounds like an idea I can pull off without ASM.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I have an idea I want to try so I'm claiming Pandemona for now. I may release if it doesn't work out but we should know soon enough. Thank you!
Chdata

Re: Sibling Halls (got two openings for Pily and Iris left)

Post by Chdata »

I wish I had my computer :c

Everything keeps provoking me to try Pily and Mishi again. (More so Pily).

(I asked Cup what he'd do if I came out of nowhere and did that, he was fine with it more or less we'd find a use for everything.)

Anyway if you need information about the siblings, I did sum up most of the information about them at http://asmtinfo.co.cc/page/story.

I also more or less made up Calleoca ;o

I think it was Moniker or Kilon and I who made up the rest of their personalities.

raocow

Post by raocow »

First of all, thank you alex for helping me out earlier today, and thank you Cup for helping me insert the Mona background. It was a great help!

But most importantly, thank you to Kil. Basically, at the start of the a2mt project kil had this nifty little level with a great gimmick. During the whole process and history of this hack I've been trying to get peeps to 'dredge' it into a full on level, but for some reason it never really got any support...

So I figured, welp, now's the time!

Note - press the X button to go through stuff.
The.. the boss prefight should probably mention this in some way!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?m18jnpxeaonsrtj

Reasoning behind this - Pandemona is all about hiding itself in its little box, so I figured the whole level should have this 'hiding' aspect to it that fit well with the asm gimmick. However, I also almost immediatly had this thought train -> box, so boxy, so boxy graphics, so old 2600-era graphics. Since what was bringing down the original level was how the graphics where kind of eh with grey blocks and bones just kinda used...

one day I'll remember how palette animation actually work and place it on other elements, unless you peeps tell me its enough as is.

The base level design is by Kil, I just tweaked and balanced bits here and there.

Oh yeah! Although I don't know if I'm overstepping any boundaries here, but I think it'd be cool if 'the theme that all the sibbling halls share' could have a low-fi, 'four bit' remix for this room. I think it'd be neat at least.

Anyway, yes, please feed my back.
Cup

Post by Cup »

That change I made when helping set up the background might have a very large chance of unsuspectingly killing the player! The change from kil's one tile thick cage to the wall that hides the background. I was playing with how kil's asm worked with the inversion. That might need to change though since I think the first reaction the player would have after pressing X would be to release it when demo starts falling, which would crush them in the wall. Making a few act like dirt blocks would do it, but they might have to be distinguishable from the rest because the rest will actually kill you, something that's important to learn!

You could also put it back to something like what kil originally had.

Love the changing palette!
Chdata

Post by Chdata »

That parrot sublevel reminds me of Ib.

tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

This is out of topic but i want these as an actual Desktop background!
kil3

Post by kil3 »

raocow wrote:First of all, thank you alex for helping me out earlier today, and thank you Cup for helping me insert the Mona background. It was a great help!

But most importantly, thank you to Kil. Basically, at the start of the a2mt project kil had this nifty little level with a great gimmick. During the whole process and history of this hack I've been trying to get peeps to 'dredge' it into a full on level, but for some reason it never really got any support...

So I figured, welp, now's the time!

Note - press the X button to go through stuff.
The.. the boss prefight should probably mention this in some way!!

http://www.mediafire.com/?m18jnpxeaonsrtj

Reasoning behind this - Pandemona is all about hiding itself in its little box, so I figured the whole level should have this 'hiding' aspect to it that fit well with the asm gimmick. However, I also almost immediatly had this thought train -> box, so boxy, so boxy graphics, so old 2600-era graphics. Since what was bringing down the original level was how the graphics where kind of eh with grey blocks and bones just kinda used...

one day I'll remember how palette animation actually work and place it on other elements, unless you peeps tell me its enough as is.

The base level design is by Kil, I just tweaked and balanced bits here and there.

Oh yeah! Although I don't know if I'm overstepping any boundaries here, but I think it'd be cool if 'the theme that all the sibbling halls share' could have a low-fi, 'four bit' remix for this room. I think it'd be neat at least.

Anyway, yes, please feed my back.
holy shit

while reading this thread I did not expect to find someone FINALLY did some stuff with that
Schnurmanator

Post by Schnurmanator »

Hello, Talkhaus!

Regrettably, I must give back the Nevada sibling fight. I'm starting school very soon and life is just getting in the way too much for me to be able to finish this fight the way I wanted to. I'm giving all of the resources including exgfx files, levels, map16 spaces, etc to anyone who wants to claim it (with the admins' permission of course).

IMO, I'd say the level is about 75% done. I'd like the person who takes over Nevada to please add the following:
  • -On level C1, there should be flashing thunder (with sound effect) in the background along with the changing of the bg palette from blue to black.
    -Change the level design including how many sprites and what foreground in the beginning of level C1. It's lacking for a sibling fight.
    -Add music to both levels C1 and F1. I believe someone composed music specifically for the sibling fight.
    -Add more of a variety of sprites to level C1 and F1. For example, I wanted to change the bullet bills to fireballs originally because Nevada attacks with fire. Get creative and think of some other stuff!
    -Finish level F1. You'll know what I mean when you test it. It's simply unfinished because I don't have the time to do so. And feel free to mess with the layer 2 settings. I originally wanted the giant piranha plant to move up and down but I have autoscroll on, so I can't have two generators at once :/
    -In level F1, make Nevada an invincible magikoopa whose graphics are 32x48 (in order to fit raocow's original drawing of her) but make her still have the same hit box as an original magikoopa. Also, you could make her send out something other than fireballs, maybe plant related stuff.
    -Do whatever the hell you want. It's your sibling fight now. If you want, you could simply scratch the entire level and do something else. I would be hurt a little, but I'm sure you can think of something better ;)
If you do choose to take over this sibling fight, remember that the above list are just guidelines. You may do whatever you please to level itself. All of the resources are attached below.

Here are some screen shots to get everyone excited:
A2MT_00000.png
A2MT_00000.png (14.96 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00001.png
A2MT_00001.png (14.55 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00002.png
A2MT_00002.png (17.5 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00003.png
A2MT_00003.png (14.71 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00004.png
A2MT_00004.png (13.84 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00005.png
A2MT_00005.png (12.67 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00006.png
A2MT_00006.png (9.86 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00007.png
A2MT_00007.png (6.09 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00008.png
A2MT_00008.png (9.26 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
A2MT_00009.png
A2MT_00009.png (10.21 KiB) Viewed 11085 times
tl;dr: I'm handing over the Nevada sibling fight. I bit off more than I could chew - life is happening. Please follow the list above as my dying talkhaus related wish for the sibling fight... or don't.

-----------------------FILES-----------------------
http://bin.smwcentral.net/u/8017/Nevada ... BFight.zip
-----------------------------------------------------

I'm truly sorry I couldn't finish this brilliant fight. It was just too much for me.

Best of luck to you all in the future. I look forward to playing the finished rom hack when I'm away at college!

Cheers,

-Schnurmanator
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Uhm... Hi !

I'm really sorry about the lack of updates for my Sibling hall (Garish). This August month has been PRETTY hectic work-wise (and also I had just a tiny bit of a lack of motivation but shhh) but september should be a lot less busy for me, so I'll try and be more active here.

Now most of the level ideas themselves are already down on paper, but I have mainly one issue that is beyond my abilities and that has been kind of a "stream-killer" for me each time I tried to do some progress. It's explained in this post I made the other day, and that nobody had been able to solve. Which I completely understand, considering the number of people that know about ASM in the talkhaus if pretty small (and I know Alex has some computer issues atm, and is already busy with the danmaku boss).

I've done quite a lot of research on how to make the shells shot by the sprite move as if they were kicked but to no avail. I was fairly hesitant on asking at smwcentral for help for A2MT, but if worse comes to worse...

The other "major" thing I planned to do was some graphics swaps for some enemies to make them more Garish/goopa related but I don't think it'll be that difficult, so I'm not too worried.

So yeah, just a heads up/new call for help. Again, a hundred thanks in advance to someone who can help me with that sprite !

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

You should pm Diortem about your asm problem. He could probably help.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

I recently had a special idea for a level and since there's no level slot left, limepie20 suggested that I ask here.

Here's what I had time to come up with this week:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4676540/smw/Col ... erflow.ips

It's the level you start on and then in the pipe at the beginning.

I doubt this could work, what's with all the colours, but what if Demo had to drop in a dark room (with the boss' background) after a second similar trippy room? Can those even be multiple levels long? Alternatively, could this fit somewhere else in the hack once finished?
ImageImage
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

spitznagl:
Sorry, but your IPS patch doesn't work.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

I just re-downloaded, re-patched in another folder and it worked. Are you sure that you used an unmodified rom?

You need to go in the grey pipe at the beginning to get to the sub-level in question.
ImageImage
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I tried it again, and it's not working. I don't know what's up.
spitznagl
­­­­~1.68e+7 real colors

Post by spitznagl »

My fault. My "unmodified" rom had something different and I was patching copies of it when checking if it worked. Really sorry about that :?

I replaced the file so it's the same link:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4676540/smw/Col ... erflow.ips
ImageImage