(shouting)

Userbars Talk and Poll

http://pbfcomics.com/78/

Should the userbars distinguish between sole wins and co-wins?

No indication of co-wins
41%
Text-based indication of co-wins
31%
Background-based indication of co-wins
28%

Total votes: 29

ano0maly
Discord User

Userbars Talk and Poll

Post by ano0maly »

So as you know, I prefer having each winner of a Mosts to get a separate userbar, instead of putting all the winners in a shared userbar. That takes up space, and I think it's better for a user to display that winner's own userbar (or for non-user wins like Best Game, display the winner that the user likes) instead of laying out all the winners in the signature.

The drawback of this is that the userbar doesn't tell you whether the winner there is the only win for that topic, or if there are other wins in a tie. This might not be a big deal but it could be nice to know which ones are co-wins. Without an indication in the userbar, you would need to check the whole list of winners instead of that particular userbar in question.

There have been some ideas for this in the Mosts preparation thread. One way is to slightly alter the text. Changing "2016" to maybe "co-2016" could work, or adding an asterisk or something at the beginning and the end of the text would make it look different. Alternatively, there could be different colors or background designs to distinguish between single-winner categories and tied categories.

If you have other ideas explain them in the post. I could take what's said in the posts as well as the poll in the consideration.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Userbars Talk and Poll

Post by ano0maly »

I had an idea about the design.

What if the userbar has background with indication text to blend in with the design like a watermark?

Something like this:

(base userbars were provided by Rockythechao)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I don't have a strong opinion on this. I do think it looks neato with the background in it at the very least.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Personally, I think that it might be a little too noisy with the text on top. Especially with the intricate design already on there.
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

As long as these get a black border I think they look fine. "co-2016" sounds good too. But how much does specifying that it was a co-win really matter?

EDIT: I just noticed the poll and that all I did was point out the three options, lol
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Jayoshi wrote:Personally, I think that it might be a little too noisy with the text on top. Especially with the intricate design already on there.
The purpose of the watermark design is that the "text" in the background isn't real text that you read - it's part of the background that you just know it's there. As long as you can tell between "winner" and "co-win", the background letters don't have to be fully visible.

I made sample userbars to see what they would look like:

And for the text option, I was told that I could have "co-best" in place of "best" and the like. Something like this:

Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Tweaked the background design a bit to help reduce the visual noise.

I feel like the contrast might still be a bit too high, but what do y'all think?

EDIT: Just noticed I gave the left side more contrast.
Okay, how's this?

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

That looks pretty good. Only thing it'll need now is a shadow under the text. ;)
(Formerly Jayoshi)
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Second one is definitely the better one.

Not like it matters to me anyways since I didn't win anything. ;w;

Who has the most?