18%

Total votes: 98

Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Re: MaGL X2 Organiser - VOTE HERE!

Post by Kapus »

That's like saying that you're afraid to cook because you might burn the food.

It could happen, technically, but if you know what you're doing you should be able to prevent that.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Kapus wrote:That's like saying that you're afraid to cook because you might burn the food.
this is a genuine concern
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

I do kinda wished I posted my idea now, but eh I like Horikawa's setup soooo
Image Image
TNTtimelord
Info under raps

Post by TNTtimelord »

I must say Ignoritus is quite the jolly old chap! :D
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Post by LunarNeedle »

I really like stirring the lovely pot of chaos, so I'll be placing my vote for Ignoratis, but in reality I trust both Ignoratis and Horikawa on this. I believe they'd both be amazing at managing this project. Either way, good luck on whoever manages to win.
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

You're catching up, Ignoritus!

Rise from your ashes !
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Wait

I got 2 votes

how is that even possible
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Grounder wrote:You're catching up, Ignoritus!

Rise from your ashes !
Was that an intentional phoenix joke, or an amusing coincidence?
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Ignoritus wrote:
Grounder wrote:You're catching up, Ignoritus!

Rise from your ashes !
Was that an intentional phoenix joke, or an amusing coincidence?
You will never know. :ugeek:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Horikawa Otane wrote:The poll will close January 3rd at 11:59pm.
You currently have it running until January 4th at 2:11am.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

i can set it exactly if u want but u'll have to let me know a timezone i set it to UTC for now
Nien

Post by Nien »

I was having a hard time to wether vote for horikawa or for ignoritus, but ignoritus's idea seems more fun, and i don't really like the character gimmick with horikawa's thing, since whoever gets link and anyone else will have a really hard time designing the level because that character needs a different kind of level design.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

MaGL X2 Organiser - VOTE HERE!

Post by Sorel »

Nien wrote:I was having a hard time to wether vote for horikawa or for ignoritus, but ignoritus's idea seems more fun, and i don't really like the character gimmick with horikawa's thing, since whoever gets link and anyone else will have a really hard time designing the level because that character needs a different kind of level design.
But isn't that the point of a gimmick? To offer a challenge?
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

Change of heart. I must toss my hat into the ring of the Ignoreckoning now. Farewell sweet Sturg
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Leeeeet's go Horikawa!
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

I kinda wanna see how Ig does this and the idea is super interesting the more I look at it
Image Image
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Personally I still feel like Ignoritus' idea has a rather high potential of going really poorly, given that it depends 100% on the participants to provide workable level names. One could almost reasonably argue that it'd be in an entrant's best interest to contribute awful level names, since statistically speaking they're unlikely to get stuck with any of them, but malicious intent aside some people inevitably just won't have any good contributions. I know I for one can't levelname to save my life, much less somebody else's chances in a contest, and I'm certainly not the only one.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Personally I still feel like Ignoritus' idea has a rather high potential of going really poorly, given that it depends 100% on the participants to provide workable level names. One could almost reasonably argue that it'd be in an entrant's best interest to contribute awful level names, since statistically speaking they're unlikely to get stuck with any of them, but malicious intent aside some people inevitably just won't have any good contributions. I know I for one can't levelname to save my life, much less somebody else's chances in a contest, and I'm certainly not the only one.
I thought about that, but honestly I don't see much you can do to intentionally sabotage a level through its name. What MaglX proved is that when making a level with a predetermined name it all comes down to how you interpret that name. And I can't really think of many names that just straight up can't be interpreted in a good manner. Can you provide examples of what you're worried about?
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

Hark! Ignoritus has caught up! The turnaround is upon us
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Ignoritus wrote:I thought about that, but honestly I don't see much you can do to intentionally sabotage a level through its name. What MaglX proved is that when making a level with a predetermined name it all comes down to how you interpret that name. And I can't really think of many names that just straight up can't be interpreted in a good manner. Can you provide examples of what you're worried about?
Admittedly I'm sure just about anything could be a good level name in sufficiently creative hands. Perhaps "awful" wasn't the best word to use in my post. "Harder" would be a better choice. Something like "Mountain," for instance, is infinitely easier to work with than something like "Nice rivers are like justified damnation if you think about it."* MaGL X1 addressed that problem by having multiple difficulty levels, then addressed it within a given difficulty level by giving each entrant 5 names to choose from, whereas your proposal both lacks any way of avoiding harder names like the latter aside from hoping really hard and gives out fewer names to each entrant.
Plus thinking about it it would seem to impose a deadline on entering, since if one were to enter after the pool were filled and names distributed their names wouldn't be going to anybody unless another late entrant happened to get one of their three three out of a pool almost certainly several hundred names in size, but it's entirely possible that you'd just allow it anyway so that's hardly a concern.

*An actual level name somebody got in MaGL X1. Also, still fantastic.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

Ditching your original vote to swing the contest in another direction seems... like it isn't in the spirit of the exercise? I dunno, something about that seems wrong to me, and I don't exactly know why.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I think the random name generator would be more creative with the level names.
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Post by LunarNeedle »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: MaGL X1 addressed that problem by having multiple difficulty levels, then addressed it within a given difficulty level by giving each entrant 5 names to choose from, whereas your proposal both lacks any way of avoiding harder names like the latter aside from hoping really hard and gives out fewer names to each entrant.
Provided the initial pool is increased to four/five possible name entrants, I don't see how difficulty can be added by increasing/decreasing the amount of names increased. Besides, I really felt that the difficulty system has no place here as it's about the quality of the level, not the challenge the level was to be made. Likewise, I don't like the idea of expensive mulligans and other point decreasing factors as again, it tarnishes the idea of MAGLX2. If there's a deadline and someone messes up and doesn't submit on time (which I committed), it should be either an instant DQ or possibly a relegation of their level into a DQ zone similar to the trash bin in the first MAGL. Either way, I'm excited to see the results of this poll!
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Personally I still feel like Ignoritus' idea has a rather high potential of going really poorly
These are basically the main reasons I voted for Horikawa over Ignoritus. If it's managed well, then it will probably produce a fun contest, but there are a lot of ways it could go horribly wrong, particularly since there's currently no suggested way of managing the names people submit. Some might submit extremely easy names, some might not, and there's not allowance for this (this point has already been made), meaning you can't effectively judge the skill of the level design (it takes more skill to make a level based on something abstract than something like "grassy plain", and there's no incentive for people to take the harder option unless they have a really great idea right off the bat, which is rare). I went with Horikawa because there's a better a chance of a good contest coming as a result. Ignoritus' idea could still produce a good contest, but has a high chance of failing spectacularly.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
RenaBeach wrote:i can set it exactly if u want but u'll have to let me know a timezone i set it to UTC for now
January 3rd at 11:59pm EST if you don't mind =)
there u go