(shouting)

What can we finish with A2MT

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: What can we finish with A2MT

Post by Bwarch »

Not at all, I was simply saying that perhaps in collabs the music should be under more scrutiny than it is currently. Because as it stands the music in a collab hack is usually not that cohesive as a whole, compared to of course the original SMW where the music all blends together into a whole rather nicely.

Plus, I'm already in a music collab with another forum member already. Though it has been slow going as we wait for him to get recording equipment.
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Talkhaus makes an album. Fund it.
Image Image
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

It could in theory be easy to do, considering that we have composers and so many instrument players as a bonus viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14675

I'm just not interested myself though, else I'd have already tried to organize something. I'm very much money oriented rather than fun oriented right now, sad but true.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

I think in a3mt we should focus on music. I know this thread has gone off topic but i don't care.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

WitherSnow wrote:I think in a3mt we should focus on music. I know this thread has gone off topic but i don't care.
Hell no, and I say that as someone who wrote a bunch of music for A2XT, would be prepared to write music for A3MT, and stand to gain from the publicity. Focus on good level design and slave everything else immediate - graphical design and ASM come to mind - to that end. Music can come later. Good music can only improve a game that's already good. It can't save a bad game. Tim Follin's NES wizardry couldn't make Silver Surfer any less bullshit, nor could he save the Batman Forever game. Yoshi's Story is another example - good music, bad levels.

When making a game, absolutely everything should be secondary to good level design. Once you've built a fun game, then be concerned about getting the graphics and music good, not before.

And for what it's worth, A2MT has some very good music. I think a fair bit of it wasn't inserted for some reason though.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

alex2 wrote:Finally:
Doctor Shemp wrote: Focus on good level design and slave everything else immediate - graphical design and ASM come to mind - to that end. Music can come later.
Generally the people who make the music aren't the same people who do things like level design and ASM. There's no reason why they couldn't be concurrently done.
Assuming that is the case, and I don't see why it would have to be for an amateur game, what about the people who convert the music to MML, assuming the composer doesn't do that, or the people who implement the MML, or the people who implement the custom instruments if they exist, or the people who then test the implementation, not to mention the approval process of the music in the first place? It's common practice for video game development to not do music until early beta at the earliest and for good reason.

Secondly, if you (and others but mostly you) are going to say as loudly as possible at the slightest opportunity that everything made in SMBX is inherently worthless garbage that's not even worth a glance, that everyone who uses SMBX only uses it because they're too retarded to work SMW, that SMW is God's own gift of an engine, and that any non-platformer collab is even more worthless than SMBX, then you shouldn't be surprised that people want to make something in SMW. If you now say that no-one should attempt something in SMW because they won't finish anything because you didn't, which probably has a lot of truth to it, then your position essentially becomes that no-one should collaborate on any game-making projects at all on the Talkhaus now that your project is over. Do you think people will think that's a satisfactory position?
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

SMBX is a pretty shitty engine tho
Image Image
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

I'd imagine from everything I've heard that there's pros and cons to both, depending on what you want to do and what you care about. They seem fairly even, honestly.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
WitherSnow wrote:I think in a3mt we should focus on music. I know this thread has gone off topic but i don't care.
Hell no, and I say that as someone who wrote a bunch of music for A2XT, would be prepared to write music for A3MT, and stand to gain from the publicity. Focus on good level design and slave everything else immediate - graphical design and ASM come to mind - to that end. Music can come later. Good music can only improve a game that's already good. It can't save a bad game. Tim Follin's NES wizardry couldn't make Silver Surfer any less bullshit, nor could he save the Batman Forever game. Yoshi's Story is another example - good music, bad levels.

When making a game, absolutely everything should be secondary to good level design. Once you've built a fun game, then be concerned about getting the graphics and music good, not before.

And for what it's worth, A2MT has some very good music. I think a fair bit of it wasn't inserted for some reason though.
I I didn't mean to say music should be the only or first thing to focus on but i said it's something i wanna focus on down the road.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

What levels are supposed to go in the final endgame world?
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

WitherSnow wrote:What levels are supposed to go in the final endgame world?
If I had to guess, everything not in the OW except for "further over there", since it's supposed to be a postgame level.

Just took a gander on the Overworld thread:
Last world:
  • So close, yet so...
  • the final level
  • Nezumi's Farm
  • further over there
Also, the mountain submap (the submap was finished but unreleased):
  • Down to Green
  • a level by spitznagl, doesn't seem to have been inserted
  • Farenheit Something
  • Chilly Ice Cave
  • no secret exit here
  • Irritating...
  • Smouldering Stones
  • Thwomp Ahoy!
  • Super Vehicle 00C Onwards to Moscow
The mountain submap may have been where the clouds in the sky part of the OW originally lead to.
Last edited by KobaBeach 9 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

From what I hear rao's level was the only postgame level due to its difficulty, so it IS the postgame all on its own.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

KobaBeach wrote:
WitherSnow wrote:What levels are supposed to go in the final endgame world?
If I had to guess, everything not in the OW except for "further over there", since it's supposed to be a postgame level.

Just took a gander on the Overworld thread:
Last world:
  • So close, yet so...
  • the final level
  • Nezumi's Farm
  • further over there
Also, the mountain submap (the submap was finished but unreleased):
  • Down to Green
  • a level by spitznagl, doesn't seem to have been inserted
  • Farenheit Something
  • Chilly Ice Cave
  • no secret exit here
  • Irritating...
  • Smouldering Stones
  • Thwomp Ahoy!
  • Super Vehicle 00C Onwards to Moscow
The mountain submap may have been where the clouds in the sky part of the OW originally lead to.
Ok once i figure out why the maps is (are) all fucked up with wierd graphics i'll see what i can do. I would rather work on the final world with the mountain world in the game but if i/we cant do it than oh well. Also there is a level in the ice world that is unchanged. Thank you for the list by the way.
Last edited by WitherSnow 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

WitherSnow wrote:if i/we
You're doing this all on your own if you decide to do anything, everybody else is pretty much done fiddling with A2MT. I should think anyway from what I've seen.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Bwarch wrote:
WitherSnow wrote:if i/we
You're doing this all on your own if you decide to do anything, everybody else is pretty much done fiddling with A2MT. I should think anyway from what I've seen.
Well i don't know how to import a map and it's art so i will need a little bit of help.
I have a few people in mind.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Well i don't know how to import a map and it's art so i will need a little bit of help.
I have a few people in mind.[/quote]
or try learning how to do it[/quote]

It's kinda easy to bark orders or say "do it and learn how"
Also it's maybe a bit fucking daunting handling a four+ year old hack project BY MYSELF!
You can bitch and moan in the sidelines but until you help out you should maybe give ideas to solutions or at least not bitch and fucking moan
So don't bark orders at me unless you are willing to help! FUCK!!!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

WitherSnow wrote:It's kinda easy to bark orders or say "do it and learn how"
Also it's maybe a bit fucking daunting handling a four+ year old hack project BY MYSELF!
You can bitch and moan in the sidelines but until you help out you should maybe give ideas to solutions or at least not bitch and fucking moan
So don't bark orders at me unless you are willing to help! FUCK!!!
You've been told already nobody wants to bother with this, don't act indignant when somebody tells you not to rope other people into it.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

lmao

Chewing out a project manager is really not going to get you points as far as A2MT goes.
WitherSnow wrote:Also it's maybe a bit fucking daunting handling a four+ year old hack project BY MYSELF!
You only have yourself to blame. Nobody else really wants this done and nobody handed it to you. So don't be talking about the work load when you don't really have to be doing it to begin with.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Guys, I'm going to pick up, start and finish that dating sim game by myself. Why won't any of you selfish fucks help me? I fucking hate you all.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Guys, I'm going to pick up, start and finish that dating sim game by myself. Why won't any of you selfish fucks help me? I fucking hate you all.
Right back atcha bud~!
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Guys, I'm going to pick up, start and finish that dating sim game by myself. Why won't any of you selfish fucks help me? I fucking hate you all.
That would've been funny if you didn't miss the point.

1. The point was "Don't tell me to do this or that or bitch about this or that until you help me with this or that.

2. A2mt and a dating sim are way fucking different.

I get the feeling that a lot of people didn't get what i was saying.so i wanted to clarify.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Serious question, what can you contribute to the hack?

The thread should be less about what you want to happen to it, and more about what you are able to supply for it.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

WitherSnow wrote:Also it's maybe a bit fucking daunting handling a four+ year old hack project BY MYSELF!
That's why it was cancelled.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

WitherSnow wrote:
That would've been funny if you didn't miss the point.

1. The point was "Don't tell me to do this or that or bitch about this or that until you help me with this or that.

2. A2mt and a dating sim are way fucking different.

I get the feeling that a lot of people didn't get what i was saying.so i wanted to clarify.
You missed his point, actually. You are, entirely of your own volition, picking up an unfinished game you know everybody else is done messing with and expecting people to help you with it. Then when you were told to learn to do whatever it is you were talking about yourself - which you are going to have to do if you want to accomplish anything here - you, uh, didn't exactly handle it very well, to say the least.
WitherSnow wrote:FUCK!!!
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

ano0maly wrote:Serious question, what can you contribute to the hack?

The thread should be less about what you want to happen to it, and more about what you are able to supply for it.
What i can do:
1. Make the final world
2. Put the final levels in the final world.
3. Add raocow's postgame level.

What i want to do:
Add overworld music
Add free movement in OW. (Navigating these wierd invisible paths is kinda annoying.
Add bosses to a baserom (Need ASMers.)
Add cutscenes to make the story stand out cause it's fuckin' awesome!

I wanna mention something that pissed me off but i didn't even realize it.

So when i saw the comment telling me to learn how and do it myself what pissed me off was what he didn't say. He didn't offer any fucking advice or solve a problem. He just told me to learn it myself!
What pisses me off the most is that i have a BIG PROBLEM stopping me from making any progress.
The garbled map graphics. Learn how to port it. Port it into what!? The fucking sea of SHIT!!?
You could've told me how the fuck to fix it or how to port the mountain map in. I don't even have the fucking map to port!! Oh and do you wanna hear what other things are in the way of my progress?:
My incompetence with things in Lunar Magic outside of basic level and map design.
You guys to some exstent.
general tech incompetence.
Lack of experience with making or porting music.
Inexperience with ASM related things.
And so much more.
Here's the deal. If you guys help me with the big stuff then i will do it. We can finish it. Just tell me how to do a thing i need help with and it will get done! That's it. I just need you guys to cooperate..
I can't do this all on my own. Im no superman.