(shouting)

What can we finish with A2MT

WitherSnow

What can we finish with A2MT

Post by WitherSnow »

I still firmly believe we can revive and finish a2mt. So what's left... or what's most importaint?:

Final world
OW Music
Final levels
Postgame
Bosses. (May be included in separate baserom.
I know a few people have levels that are reserved but i don't know what to do with them.
Remove control restrictions from intertwined plains and other levels.
Is there any more things left?

I think we can do this. Unless people just wanna move on to a3mt.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: What can we finish with A2MT

Post by Leet »

no
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Leet wrote:no
/thread
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Love the enthusiasm guys. Keep it up1
Leet

Post by Leet »

enthusiasm doesn't complete a project
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

There also the issue of nearly all the levels being outdatedly horrible. The end goal of this thread is a 2009 hack released post-2014.
Last edited by Septentrion Pleiades 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

A2MT's not getting finished because it's pretty much a massive block of spaghetti code and any attempt to fix anything breaks several other things, not because everybody just randomly quit or something.

tl;dr:
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Leet wrote:enthusiasm doesn't complete a project
Technically it does it just needs more than one person being enthusiastic haha. And the enthusiastic need to then channel that into work.

Allow me to make some recommendations here:

1) Stop thinking A2MT is going to get done, everybody who WAS working on it is done with it besides Alex for the final boss. The only opinion that matters at this point are the people willing to do work, not those hoping for others to do work.

2) Start thinking less about group/forum collaborations and more in-line with smaller collaborations. With duo or trio collaborations there is more work to do but the ideas are a lot easier to get done and agreed on since you're working with so few people and don't have to get an entire community to agree with your idea.

Seriously I wanna see some two person collaborations. Just make a friggin' world instead of trying for a whole game, it's okay to come out with smaller projects, really.

People will still be interested and you can post the result in cartridge, supposed to be a showoff forum for hacking and games and yet the last person to post a hack in there was Argumentable working on his solo hack.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Bwarch wrote:
Leet wrote:enthusiasm doesn't complete a project
Technically it does it just needs more than one person being enthusiastic haha. And the enthusiastic need to then channel that into work.

Allow me to make some recommendations here:

1) Stop thinking A2MT is going to get done, everybody who WAS working on it is done with it besides Alex for the final boss. The only opinion that matters at this point are the people willing to do work, not those hoping for others to do work.

2) Start thinking less about group/forum collaborations and more in-line with smaller collaborations. With duo or trio collaborations there is more work to do but the ideas are a lot easier to get done and agreed on since you're working with so few people and don't have to get an entire community to agree with your idea.

Seriously I wanna see some two person collaborations. Just make a friggin' world instead of trying for a whole game, it's okay to come out with smaller projects, really.

People will still be interested and you can post the result in cartridge, supposed to be a showoff forum for hacking and games and yet the last person to post a hack in there was Argumentable working on his solo hack.
I still kinda wanna see the final world but i understand not everything can or will get done.
I kinda wanna move on to a3mt but maybe a smaller project would be nice.

It shouldn't be too bad to insert Ow music. we could make it so when you go to a different part the music changes even in the Ow.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

You're forgetting the most needed thing which is also the hardest and most time-consuming: make the levels not shit.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

alex2 wrote:if...if people want to try for A3MT, then they can wait a few months.
Or forever. Seriously, you guys couldn't handle making A2MT back when you actually -had- competent hackers - how are you planning on handling a third game when the only relevant ones left are either incapable of leading or busy with other stuff? All you'll end up with is raocow making another video advertising the project, and you'll end up in an even bigger rut with junk levels than the previous projects.

Like, I'm not trying to sound discouraging in regards to SMW stuff (JUMP is apparently going sort of okay), but it might be best to consider the A#MT ship sailed at this point.
Leet

Post by Leet »

i think we should make a smw demo/asmt-stuff collab after every part of A2MBXT is finished and lets played

but i dont think we should call it a2mt or a3mt

just my long-time-in-the-future thoughts
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

You should definitely go ahead with A3MT. I'm morbidly curious to see just how low the bar can be set.

USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

S.N.N. wrote:
alex2 wrote:if...if people want to try for A3MT, then they can wait a few months.
Or forever. Seriously, you guys couldn't handle making A2MT back when you actually -had- competent hackers - how are you planning on handling a third game when the only relevant ones left are either incapable of leading or busy with other stuff? All you'll end up with is raocow making another video advertising the project, and you'll end up in an even bigger rut with junk levels than the previous projects.

Like, I'm not trying to sound discouraging in regards to SMW stuff (JUMP is apparently going sort of okay), but it might be best to consider the A#MT ship sailed at this point.
Are we not capable of learning from A2MT? I mean it's entirely possible that we are in fact not capable of learning from A2MT, but I'd like to think we are.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

alex2 wrote:Most of the competent hackers are gone from the forum. As far as I know, there's not really any more competent ASMers left on here except for me and Kil (I don't know about Kil, but I don't really want to participate in another huge project just yet).
Hey I'll have you know I am absolutely a competent ASMer
Of course not yet, the A2MT LP's still going. I think we all agree if there's going to be an A3MT at all it's not starting for at least a few months.
Seriously did you not see that thing I whipped together for MaGL 2 because that's actually a really bad example that thing barely worked
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

At risk of sounding naive, we could very well do an A3MT that's way less ambitious than A2MT and requires less coding and shit that's out of our league, and focus on the actual levels

But yeah as it was said 57853 times A2MT is hopeless at this point

WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Cause im a stubborn dick im gonna share my idea for a3mt.

A3MT's worlds take place on six islands scattered across the OW. Each island has a switch palace, a castle and a secret fortress.

Here are some things i think we could/should focus on.:
Easier levels that are more fun but provide a challenge.
Less ported songs and a bigger focus on origanal music.
Less ASM in levels. (some levels should have ASM that makes it memorable rather than taking away controls.

So a smaller project with more people.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

The lack of heavy ASM may actually be helpful. I think it can only really lead to bad design when you say "I have this ASM, now how can I use it in a level?" rather than "I have this level, what ASM can I use to accentuate its strengths or hide its weaknesses?". Don't put the cart before the horse. I'm pretty sure I remember alex saying he was given ASM and told to implement it somewhere, although I'm hesitant to trust my memory completely on this. Certainly quite a few A2MT levels look like they had ASM inserted after the fact. And of course it's quite possible that "I have this level, what ASM can I use to accentuate its strengths or hide its weaknesses?" has the answer "no ASM at all".

Forgive me if I'm wrong on this though but doesn't a smaller project with less ASM and a focus on fun rather than challenge just describe JUMP?

And, lastly, expecting another warning or ban for saying A2MT is bad, I think you'd be better off choosing a new name and starting a new series or ignoring A2MT completely and calling it ASMT 2 or something. There's probably too much baggage and expectations attached to the name at this point.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Doctor Shemp wrote:And, lastly, expecting another warning or ban for saying A2MT is bad,
lmao

You completely and totally misunderstand your own warning, good job.
Doctor Shemp wrote: Forgive me if I'm wrong on this though but doesn't a smaller project with less ASM and a focus on fun rather than challenge just describe JUMP?
I believe I saw a post just the other day saying that JUMP is stagnant just because it's too hard and everybody's procrastinating on making it optimal. Certainly difficulty seemed to be their biggest obstacle. But that's hearsay, as I haven't played any of it myself obviously.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Bwarch wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:And, lastly, expecting another warning or ban for saying A2MT is bad,
lmao

Oh, are you a mod again? When did that happen?
Bwarch wrote:I believe I saw a post just the other day saying that JUMP is stagnant just because it's too hard and everybody's procrastinating on making it optimal. Certainly difficulty seemed to be their biggest obstacle. But that's hearsay, as I haven't played any of it myself obviously.
Well, if that is the case, that's a shame. It does bring me on to the other thing you'd need though which is people who know how to make levels good and are very good with the engine who can go through every submitted level and fix it up. Do you know anyone here who has both those qualities and is prepared to put in a hell of a lot of time to fix up everything? That's not meant to be sarcastic, that's a genuine question. I know of a few people who do know how to make levels good but I'm not sure of their SMW ability.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

On the note of A2MT starting during the ASMT LP, I really hope we get a bit of a longer break after A2XT Episode 1 before the second episode... Because episode 1 started pretty much as soon as ASMBXT was done and I was really burned out.

Also that whole thing of "well, we may aswell use ASM" concerns me since the game engine I'm writing at the moment focuses on making 'ASM' as easy as possible to the point where you write it in Python... So it's not really ASM.
Oh, that was real? I assumed it was fake... People really need to get warned for putting in fake mod messages in future because that's stupid that I assume they're all fake.

Though at the same time, I can see why you got warned. You did kind of just insult the entire A2MT staff separately from insulting A2MT.
Last edited by docopoper 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

docopoper wrote:Also that whole thing of "well, we may aswell use ASM" concerns me since the game engine I'm writing at the moment focuses on making 'ASM' as easy as possible to the point where you write it in Python... So it's not really ASM.
Is this the Wohl rebuild of SMBX or something else?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

docopoper wrote:On the note of A2MT starting during the ASMT LP, I really hope we get a bit of a longer break after A2XT Episode 1 before the second episode... Because episode 1 started pretty much as soon as ASMBXT was done and I was really burned out.
The plan I hope is to take a month or 2 to go over and figure out what we can do better, and do a bit of planning maybe.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
Bwarch wrote:
lmao

Oh, are you a mod again? When did that happen?
Doesn't take being a mod to see when you're being an asshole, Shemp ol' boy.

And I mean to point that out as a general courtesy, honestly. I like you. But if you could stop with the dick waving contest and putting down the work of others and personally insulting them, that'd be great.
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Doctor Shemp wrote:Is this the Wohl rebuild of SMBX or something else?
Something else. Something magical that I've been working on for half a year.

If it makes you happy to hear - I've currently got arbitrary polygon to polygon collisions, and am working on making them dynamically rotatable and scalable. There's also a cool hierarchy system where all the source code and sprites are exposed for objects on a global scope for the game in its own folder and each level can temporarily supercede the sprites or code simply by including the same object in the level directory.

Basically I'm working on an amazing engine, but haven't actually made any content to use so far. Hopefully I will finish it. It's pretty fun to work on.

#TotallyOnTopic
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.