(shouting)

SMBX Community Contest 8 (DONE)

Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Re: SMBX Community Contest 8 (DONE)

Post by Mabel »

Luigifan2010 wrote: "wow this would be confusing as fuck to a 12 year old".
you underestimate kids these days... :)
Image Image
Luigifan2010
Lua squad
First name: Mike
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Luigifan2010 »

Mabel wrote:
Luigifan2010 wrote: "wow this would be confusing as fuck to a 12 year old".
you underestimate kids these days... :)
no, believe me i was one of the ones who toyed with basic code and shit as a 12 year. but do you really think smbx attracts those smarter 12 year olds? smbx attracted a certain type of audience because it was simplistic
Kil

Post by Kil »

I don't think lunadll should have even been posted there. Like I already said, it doesn't mesh with their ideals of level design at all, and half of them can't get it installed anyway, or their parents won't let them install anything. The whole point was to add extra stuff to games that raocow will LP, not to upgrade SMBX with levelASM-lite while also struggling to keep it simple enough for preteens with ADD to understand. Just submit levels to a lunadll-using project if you want to use it that badly.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Luigifan2010
Lua squad

Post by Luigifan2010 »

Kil wrote:I don't think lunadll should have even been posted there. Like I already said, it doesn't mesh with their ideals of level design at all, and half of them can't get it installed anyway, or their parents won't let them install anything. The whole point was to add extra stuff to games that raocow will LP, not to upgrade SMBX with levelASM-lite while also struggling to keep it simple enough for preteens with ADD to understand. Just submit levels to a lunadll-using project if you want to use it that badly.
you're the creator correct?
anyways i completely agree with you but some people just dont understand the rationale behind what i was saying
dare i ask how it even got around to the smbx community?
Kil

Post by Kil »

I don't much remember except for the sticky being posted over there. I posted in that thread you linked so hopefully everyone can go back to not caring about fighting over lunadll again.
Luigifan2010
Lua squad

Post by Luigifan2010 »

Kil wrote:I don't much remember except for the sticky being posted over there. I posted in that thread you linked so hopefully everyone can go back to not caring about fighting over lunadll again.
just saw it.
i think the problem with this community is they think vanilla means NO CUSTOM GRAPHICS when nowadays vanilla would mean no lunadll.

and blue made a couple good points earlier too (first second)
TNTtimelord
Info under raps

Post by TNTtimelord »

Willhart wrote:Good thing that A2XT is here soon, to show them what it can do.
Fluffi-dono wrote:No one is obligated to use LunaDLL, neither does it provide an advantage. So I don't really why it should not be allowed...

BTW good luck to you as well, Mr. Luigifan2010 :)
These two posts kind of contradict themselves. Willhart, to me, implies that LunaDLL is a mod for SMBX that majorly improves it, which isn't true in any way.
Kil wrote:I don't think they should ever add it to their contests. It doesn't even mesh well with their level design style which is to make standard SMB3 style levels. You don't need lunadll for that.
This is (for the most part) true. Yes, most of the community's level design style does not go well with LunaDLL. I can safely say you can see any of the game styles in SMBX. Yes, SMB3 is likely the most common, and I think the fact it has an easy palette to work with graphics-wise that makes it easy to use.
Raster

Post by Raster »

SMBX Community values good visuals, aesthetic appeal and streamlined gameplay while Talkhaus standards are more about gameplay itself. SMBX Community doesn't need LunaDLL.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

TNTtimelord wrote:
Willhart, to me, implies that LunaDLL is a mod for SMBX that majorly improves it, which isn't true in any way.
ok but did you read willhart's post at all just wondering
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

Raster wrote:SMBX Community values good visuals, aesthetic appeal and streamlined gameplay while Talkhaus standards are more about gameplay itself. SMBX Community doesn't need LunaDLL.
Some of the more independent members seem interested in it. It's people frightened that the contests will be filled we super amazing levels and that they won't win. Outside of the contest, I don't think it's a issue.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

They'll see that it can't improve levels' aesthetics. Since that's what matters, I don't think they'll be interested.

Seriously, can you imagine the SMBX Community ever making

Abstract Assault

? The code section totally clashes with the pre-code section! Not to mention the clashes in

Static Life

. It's absolutely disgusting that some people here have wantonly used this LunaDLL abomination to make novel levels that don't look perfectly harmonious.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Luna and DLL aren't even in the same capitalization format!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kil

Post by Kil »

the dumbest thing of all it's that it's called lunadll.dll
Leet

Post by Leet »

careful with that bold there, it clashes with the rest of the sentence
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality

Post by Darkonius64 »

...can we please stop talking about clash?
we used to care about that back in redigit's forums.
and i think that was back in 2008. i think.
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Sorry but clash is the new cutoff. You'll have to live with it

RudeGuy

Post by RudeGuy »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Sorry but clash is the new cutoff. You'll have to live with it
...I guess you're joking.
Also clash =/= cutoff
Septentrion Pleiades wrote:
Raster wrote:SMBX Community values good visuals, aesthetic appeal and streamlined gameplay while Talkhaus standards are more about gameplay itself. SMBX Community doesn't need LunaDLL.
Some of the more independent members seem interested in it. It's people frightened that the contests will be filled we super amazing levels and that they won't win. Outside of the contest, I don't think it's a issue.
You're right. Besides contests, Luna.DLL isn't an issue. In fact, no one ever complain about Luna.DLL in someone's project, but there are many complaints into contests because some people thinks Luna.DLL is something really cool which makes cool things. Sincerely I don't think Luna.DLL makes a lot of things. From what I have seen, Luna.DLL can make new custom bosses, the timer and a few new gimmicks. Also I too use Luna.DLL, but only for small things like have a 3 HP Mouser.
Leet

Post by Leet »

you sound like you don't really know what you're saying, no offense. lunaDLL is a tool with a lot of potential, it doesnt really have a set state of 'what it can do', since its up to the users to innovate.

saying that lunaDLL makes a lot of cool things or that it doesnt make a lot of cool things are kind of both inaccurate. it's not lunaDLL thats making anything.

a better description would be to say it can make a lot of cool things. but that doesn't guarantee that it will every time.

also
Also clash =/= cutoff
the joke being made here is actually that, the talkhaus/raocow used to exaggeratedly tease smoocentral for being very serious about cutoff. this exaggeration of how much ppl care about clash is the same but with smebex community forums instead :7
Luigifan2010
Lua squad

Post by Luigifan2010 »

oh no here comes the smbx community to cause a shitstorm based on what we said (jk) (inb4 im from there)
Doctor Shemp wrote:
They'll see that it can't improve levels' aesthetics. Since that's what matters, I don't think they'll be interested.

Seriously, can you imagine the SMBX Community ever making

Abstract Assault

? The code section totally clashes with the pre-code section! Not to mention the clashes in

Static Life

. It's absolutely disgusting that some people here have wantonly used this LunaDLL abomination to make novel levels that don't look perfectly harmonious.
also this
i laughed for a good 5 minutes at this.
oh oh don't forget you can't say the super secret cheat code or you get banned!

redigitiscool

Darkonius64

Post by Darkonius64 »

Lol the secret cheatcode that isn't a secret at all
no seriously, there are like 76164185715778 videos that reveal that cheat.
Pixels was right imo.
My latest SMBX episode

My media links:

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Christian07 wrote:From what I have seen, Luna.DLL can make new custom bosses, the timer and a few new gimmicks. Also I too use Luna.DLL, but only for small things like have a 3 HP Mouser.
That was an excellent way of saying that LunaDLL can achieve many new things otherwise impossible in SMBX while sounding completely dismissive and sounding like you're saying something else entirely. If you think about what goes into making an entirely custom boss, and what "a few new gimmicks" could entail, what possible changes to the engine doesn't that cover? Some but not too many. That's like saying ASM is useless in SMW hacking because all it can do is define a few behaviours. Seriously, have you considered a career in PR?

Perhaps we could directly appeal to the SMBX community by saying that you could use LunaDLL to instantly kill any player who doesn't spend at least 20 minutes slogging through appreciating the artistry of your level.
Leet

Post by Leet »

We could go further than that and just use LunaDLL to make the level an interactive slideshow of the nice SMB3-only recolored terrain.
Darkonius64

Post by Darkonius64 »

Leet wrote:We could go further than that and just use LunaDLL to make the level an interactive slideshow of the nice SMB3-only recolored terrain.
alright, enough with the smb3 recolor and clash jokes.
it's starting to get annoyng.
My latest SMBX episode

My media links:

Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Darkonius64 wrote:
Leet wrote:We could go further than that and just use LunaDLL to make the level an interactive slideshow of the nice SMB3-only recolored terrain.
alright, enough with the smb3 recolor and clash jokes.
it's starting to get annoyng.
All we do here is jokes, dont take them seriously(which alot of yall have a problem with for some reason)
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

to be fair we are getting kind of relentless with these jokes

but not as relentless as, uh, a lack of... clash. sure thats a joke, if you squint