(shouting)

SMWC's Yoshi's Island Level Design Contest (YILDC)

S.N.N.

SMWC's Yoshi's Island Level Design Contest (YILDC)

Post by S.N.N. »

Given our official affiliation and the fact that Horikawa invited members of SMWC to join in on MaGLX, I figured I'd send the same invitation to people here regarding our Yoshi's island LDC. We've only done one in the past but it had a fairly good turnout (considering how few YI hackers there are). Couple of little notes to summarize the rules thread:

-It's an "anything goes" contest. Jimmy52905 released a YI Addmusic, so if you're tech-savvy, you can include some custom music in your level.
-The deadline is ~60 days from now.
-You can work with a partner.
-Include a text file detailing how to get 100% in your level in case the judges miss a brutally obscure secret.

I know there are a few people here who have wanted to jump into YI and try it out, so if you're in that group, why not give it a try? The rules/submissions thread is here and the discussion thread is here (which also contains a link to useful tools and the editor).

Thanks - have fun.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: SMWC's Yoshi's Island Level Design Contest (YILDC)

Post by Leet »

thinking of entering this with a silly joke level just to test out YI hacking
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

How hard is it to learn which ever engine the cool kids are using nowadays?
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
HealthyMario

Post by HealthyMario »

I've tried making a few levels using Golden Egg before!
I might give it another shot.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

aterraformer wrote:How hard is it to learn which ever engine the cool kids are using nowadays?
Golden Egg is substantially easier to use than EggVine (the old editor from about 2004-2009, where you had nothing but colored squares to work with). GE is very similar to Lunar Magic in terms of style and whatnot. Obviously it'll take a bit of practice if you've never hacked YI before, but unlike SMW or SMBX contests, YI contests typically boil down to pure level design. If you're able to design a fun level using the vanilla game, you should do really well.

(really, anyone who is a fan of YI would probably love hacking the game. I completed a full hack of it back in 2006 which some of you may remember raocow playing in his early days, so I can attest to the "fun factor" of editing the game.)
Leet

Post by Leet »

yep confirmed working on a level for this, its probably going to be bad but its at least visually interesting (effortlessly visually interesting to anybody who knows how to do stuffs, but impressive to people who dont know how easy it was)
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

I shall partake in this.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

literally mean as sh1t alex

y
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

I started making my level for this contest and I hope you started your levels as well.

Also I added even more useless stuffs on the titlescreen/ overworld than last contest because fart.
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
TLMB

Post by TLMB »

Assuming people actually take interest on this contest, it's about to end in 12 days. That's still enough time to do something nuts/moteworthy of quality and win a gold medal at SMWC. I honestly wish that there are more than 10 entries to judge this year (and honestly I want to see creativity and love).

And if there is any initiative to joining now, know that not only will raocow be playing the entries (based on what alex2 said to me), but a famous YI streamer will also be playing the entries too.

So, uh, currently Leet and yogui are the only 2 entries that represent talkhaus. Have fun and happy hacking.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

TLMB in the submissions thread on SMWC wrote:[Your submissions] must be posted somewhere in this thread or they will not be accepted.
I'd honestly be all over this contest if I didn't have to register at SMWC. I've noticed they get really annoyed over there when people rereg, and if I'm not mistaken I registered there when I was like 13 and suffice it to say I'd rather have as little connection to that as possible. Plus I forgot my username and password and deleted my old email address so I can't even access my account anyway.
TLMB

Post by TLMB »

Also, I guess I could accept entries here, now that I registered to talkhaus. I only wanted people to read the submission page fully before submitting an entry.
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

TLMB wrote:
And if there is any initiative to joining now, know that not only will raocow be playing the entries (based on what alex2 said to me), but a famous YI streamer will also be playing the entries too.

So, uh, currently Leet and yogui are the only 2 entries that represent talkhaus. Have fun and happy hacking.
It would be fun to see Racoaw play the entries as well as that other person. I have an idea now, but it's probably too late, and I don't know any ASM so my entry seems kind of serious if you know what I mean, but it's a castle level, and I made a surprise for it. I worked on it really hard, but I'm not sure if people would get stuck so maybe I'll make a video before the deadline, but I don't want to spoil it.

Edit: I wanted to use the music from New Super Mario Bros. when you're in the big castle from the Nintendo DS version, but everytime I tried to insert it w/xkas, I would just get the map music or I would get random static, and then the original SMW2 music would play.
yogui
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Banned
First name: guy who made something

Post by yogui »

C'mon guys make some levels the deadline is in two days and there's only 5 levels submitted as of now. :cry: :cry: :cry:
[enable_hats][/enable_hats]
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Horikawa Otane wrote:The deadline has passed
The thread on SMWC wrote:You have until June 4th (about 60 days, no extensions) at 11:59:49 PM Central Standard Time
I don't know if the use of Central Standard Time means ignore DST for some reason, but either way -40-20 minutes is plenty of time to make and submit a level, don't discourage people like that. :P
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

You have 9 minutes.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I totally got my entry in with 2 minutes to spare. What a hero I am.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

You have -20 minutes.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Leet

Post by Leet »

he ll yeah 89 entries!! 89th place here i come cant wait to be in the TOP 10
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

probably because you didn't enter and wasted my time @ alex
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Are the results out for this yet?
Apparently not until July.
The SMWC thread wrote:Judging will last the entire month of June and winners will hopefully be announced the second week of July. The reason why these dates are so late is because I am a human that still has life obligations to fulfill.
I don't know if TLMB was expecting there to only be around nine entrants, though, so they may be out sooner than that.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Haven't talked to TLMB in a couple of days, but I talked to one of the other judges and he's apparently starting + finishing in the next little while. I anticipate they'll have the results out by the end of the month (hopefully).
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Oh hey I didn't get last place. How did that happen?
Leet

Post by Leet »

heck yeah top 10 with a broken entry!!!!!