(shouting)

Everything raocow v2.0 - Suggestions and Feedback Thread

Have anything to suggest? A crazy video idea? New merchandise in mind? Write it down here - I'm not saying I'm going to listen, but I promise to pretend very hard.
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Re: Everything raocow v2.0 - Suggestions and Feedback Thread

Post by Argumentable »

I hate the splash page
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

The splash page is stupid. Like Thissa said, it's pointless.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

You two are loud.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

I think something is missing from everything raocow, which kinda makes the 'everything' part a lie.

We need a section for videos raocow has guested in and the like. It's nice that we have all his actual videos catagorized, but he's been a guest in many.. many things, and as a fan that is not obsessive at all, I must watch them all.

Might need help tracking them all down though.

Also as Feedback, I preferred the old layout on Everything raocow, I don't like that you have to click the Game, then the individual episodes to get the videos to pop up. Seems like needless busy-work compared to what it used to be like.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Xirix wrote:We need a section for videos raocow has guested in and the like. It's nice that we have all his actual videos catagorized, but he's been a guest in many.. many things, and as a fan that is not obsessive at all, I must watch them all.

Might need help tracking them all down though.
Agree 100% - I've always wanted to do this, but it's a matter of tracking down all of raocow's guest appearances. There's a couple of them in the uncategorized videos section.
Xirix
The British Palindrome

Post by Xirix »

Hence why I said we might need help. :) To the internet!
Servant

Post by Servant »

Thissa wrote: Might need help tracking them all down though.
For the most part, I archived all the "guest-starred videos" on IgorHorst with the exception of the Desert Bus videos, and that was because it appeared raocow's presence there seemed to be marginal at best (I didn't watch through all of it though).

Playlist 1: Guest-starred videos
Playlist 2: Megaman Races
---
The real reason I looked at this thread though was that I saw the new everything.raocow.com website, and while I liked the previous layout (because it helped me more easily find what videos to upload), I'll get used to the new one. My main request however is that it should be possible to search based solely on "video-sharing" site, so I can find all Dailymotion videos easily and start uploading them onto Youtube.
---
Of course, I also might want to lodge a request that more igorhorst videos are linked onto raocow.com (since I have begun slowly uploading more videos)...though since my update schedule is sporadic at best, I could understand why it'd take a while for raocow.com to be updated.
===
EDIT: Another request; when you're on the "Episode" Page with a link to all the videos, can you have links to previous and next Episodes? Because clicking "back" to return to the 'LP page' and then click to go to the next Episode seemed kinda cumbersome, and I'm sure you could make it more easier to navigate.

EDIT2: Also noticed many of RaocowGV's and AndyRitcherLUE's videos aren't on there either.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Going to take the site down for a bit while I roll out some changes!

EDIT: And... we're back! I just pushed out version 2.02, which restores the thumbnails and implements a caching system. Thumbnails, videos, and OEmbed calls are cached for 24 hours. What this means is that the FIRST TIME a page loads in a given 24 hour period, it will be really slow (because it has to go to youtube/etc. for data), but every other time it will be fast because it can get that data locally.

I'll eventually bump it up to like a year or something, but for now I just want to make sure it works as it should.

If I have some time tomorrow, now that this critical fix is out of the way I can see about fixing some of the other issues that have been brought up in this thread :)
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Yes my world revolves around you djsecret. The fact that I hate something is solely because you like it. You're really getting on my last nerve with this shit
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
ultratowel112
Pronouns: He/him

Post by ultratowel112 »

Alex wrote:
Thissa wrote:
Alex wrote:Why did you take out the splash page, Thissa?
A lot of people complained about it! Also it didn't really serve any purpose.
It's... a splash page. The purpose of it is to introduce people to the site, which it did by quoting raocow a bit. Argumentable only disagreed with me because he's a spiteful asshole when it comes to anything I say.
You seem to have forgotten that limepie also disliked it and Thissa said that "a lot of people complained about it". It's not just Argumentable. I didn't (and still don't) use everything.raocow very often, but when I did, I disliked the splash page. To me, it was a waste of time when I wanted to check something. If you think it should "introduce people to the site", then it should have been set so that it only appears the first time someone visits.
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Well I just understood what you guys meant by "splash page" (the random raocow quotes list) so I'm gonna reveal my oh-so-shocking opinion

I like the splash page

limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I wouldn't be averse to a first visit type thing if that's possible. It could actually work nicely.
Argumentable
the biggest shit

Post by Argumentable »

Implement your forums username somehow into it and make it so you can save settings that way
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Argumentable wrote:Implement your forums username somehow into it and make it so you can save settings that way
This is something that will never happen.
kilon

Post by kilon »

The splash page should have been updated if you wanted to keep it anyway. All those quotes are from early raocow and are (almost) never said anymore anyway. So one should have to go through the hassle of constantly updating the page to also include his more recent quotes. And that's not worth the trouble in the first place.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

I'd rather do something like throw a random raocow quote in the page footer (or in the title, like DT) - a bunch of them are collected at http://stupidhorse.tumblr.com/archive
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Well, if the splash page gets annoying, then you know what gets really annoying? The extra clicks! :P
When you open the page for a game, it should open like the main page (http://raocow.com) does, showing the description and the video. I don't want to have to click on the individual episodes each time. :P
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Just uploaded v2.03, featuring:
- a longer cache timeout period
- pagination for individual episodes
- number of games/episodes per page can be configured on the settings page

edit: also fixed a couple of bugs and changed the game/LP list to be dual column. episode lists remain 1 column for now as they'll soon be expanded to include videos.
Servant

Post by Servant »

Got this error at
http://everything.raocow.com/game.php?id=0&pg=2
System Error

Something broke pretty badly. This shouldn't happen!!
Please let Thissa know about it here.

ErrorException: First parameter must either be an object or the name of an existing class
on line 40 of /home/admin/everything/php/OEmbed.class.php
---
Also, Thissa, er, how do we request the continual "folding" of all the raocow archival video hosts onto everything.raocow.com? Or is that on the backburner and right now, you need to get everything.raocow.com working first?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That's on the backburner as far as I know until everything's straightened out. Otherwise, I'll be getting my lists ready for archival purposes soon. In fact, I really should just get them ready sometime this weekend and then copy/paste them to Thissa when it is time.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Servant wrote:Got this error at
http://everything.raocow.com/game.php?id=0&pg=2
---
Also, Thissa, er, how do we request the continual "folding" of all the raocow archival video hosts onto everything.raocow.com? Or is that on the backburner and right now, you need to get everything.raocow.com working first?

Thanks - the caching system was glitching out because a video got removed from YouTube, so the OEmbed call wasn't returning the expected result. At some point I'll add in a button so if you guys find videos that no longer work, you can click it to notify me so that I can remove them (if you're wondering, it's http://everything.raocow.com/episode.php?id=1221 - anyone got a mirror?).

Re: other mirrors - as Bean said it's on the backburner for now, the #1 priority is to get all the glitches worked out from Everything raocow 2.0, and after that, to get raocow's new admin interface done. Then it's building the ATXS integration stuff, and hopefully at some point in there TLs4's new designer will come up with an awesome new look for the site. Anyway, once all that's done, then it'll be getting the rest of the mirrors integrated and completed.

No ETA or anything as I have a full time programming job and get burned out pretty quick. As we say, when it's done it's done :)
spamantha

Post by spamantha »

When I tried to view the video for ICTOAT from the GMC Game Jam, I got this error
System Error

PDOException: Database error [21000]: Subquery returns more than 1 row, driver error code is 1242
on line 172 of /home/admin/everything/3rdparty/Db.php
The thread the error message pointed to is locked, so hopefully this is the right place to go!
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

Thanks - this is fixed, along with the thread link in error messages :)

raocow, how did you manage to get two "episode 13"s in GMC Jam? That is breaking a lot of things!!
spamantha wrote:When I tried to view the video for ICTOAT from the GMC Game Jam, I got this error
System Error

PDOException: Database error [21000]: Subquery returns more than 1 row, driver error code is 1242
on line 172 of /home/admin/everything/3rdparty/Db.php
The thread the error message pointed to is locked, so hopefully this is the right place to go!
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I haven't used the site much recently, but so far it seems functional enough. I'd really appreciate it, though, if there was the option to view the games/episodes in list form like the old site, or at least the ability to click on video links without having to go into individual episode pages (as I always open the videos in new tabs). Is that a thing that's doable?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

swirlybomb wrote:I haven't used the site much recently, but so far it seems functional enough. I'd really appreciate it, though, if there was the option to view the games/episodes in list form like the old site, or at least the ability to click on video links without having to go into individual episode pages (as I always open the videos in new tabs). Is that a thing that's doable?
It's on the to-do list, just haven't had time lately.