(shouting)

First post in hover box thing

Have anything to suggest? A crazy video idea? New merchandise in mind? Write it down here - I'm not saying I'm going to listen, but I promise to pretend very hard.
rubberfishy

First post in hover box thing

Post by rubberfishy »

At the moment when you hover your mouse over a thread title a box comes up that states if there is any new posts or not, I really like it on forums when you hover over the thread title and a box comes up that contains the majority of the first post, I don't know how hard this is to implement or if you wanna implement it but I think it would be really useful if we had it here.
TheChrisD

Re: First post in hover box thing

Post by TheChrisD »

AFAIK, that's vBulletin exclusive. It could be replicated in a plugin, but I'm unsure if one exists for phpBB.
rxcjack

Post by rxcjack »

Or you could hard code it with an SQL query.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Uhm... am i alone in questioning the worth of the hassle of such a thing? I mean, just wheel click on the thread, it's all I do...
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Thissa

Post by Thissa »

The problem with doing this is that you now have to execute an SQL query for each thread on the page to pull down the first post, regardless of whether you are going to view it or not. Since phpBB doesn't have this feature by default, there isn't an appropriate index set up in the database to do this in an efficient manner.

In laymen's terms, it's going to slow down the forums a LOT.
rubberfishy

Post by rubberfishy »

ah ok, it's really not that important anyway.
rxcjack

Post by rxcjack »

I could write a jQuery snippet that generates the preview on the fly when you hover over the title. This doesn't slow the forum down as it's just one jQuery call.