(shouting)

The Romhack Shack

Have anything to suggest? A crazy video idea? New merchandise in mind? Write it down here - I'm not saying I'm going to listen, but I promise to pretend very hard.
WitherSnow

The Romhack Shack

Post by WitherSnow »

So my idea is to have the cartrige thread be for video games and this be the forum for romhacks. A thread for sharing hacks, videos, and music as well as tutorials. I figured having the two in the same forum would be inconveniont. So what do you think.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Re: The Romhack Shack

Post by darkychao »

Wasn't "romhack shack" the name of the collaboration extravaganza in the days of old?
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

I'm actually for this.

I feel that having the two in the same subforum results in games and hacks being pushed down in favor of game conversation, it's basically like if we made art showcase and gazebo the same subforum. The stuff that people are creating gets quickly pushed down by people talking about other stuff.

We have a subforum specifically for art, writing and music, so why not one specifically for the things people create that are game related?
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

[2:42:15 PM] Bwarch: Also a seperate subforum thread would invite people to make solo hacks and share them again, something I myself have missed.
[2:42:26 PM] Bwarch: I feel people don't feel there is value in the solo hack anymore.
[2:42:34 PM] Clemasterable: See SMWC
[2:42:36 PM] Bwarch: I'd like to change that from a psychological standpoint.
[2:42:43 PM] Bwarch: That is SMWC this is Talkhaus.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

alex2 wrote:because nobody here posts hacks anyway. that's entirely the reason why romhack shack was phased out
Does it occur to you that nobody posts hacks because the two threads are the same?
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

WitherSnow wrote:
alex2 wrote:because nobody here posts hacks anyway. that's entirely the reason why romhack shack was phased out
Does it occur to you that nobody posts hacks because the two threads are the same?
Does it occur to you that nobody posts hacks because they use SMWC instead?
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

There's a problem if they're doing that. If SMWC is a more inviting option then I think we need to do a better job of showcasing solo hacks ourselves. SMWC has an ideal setup since, YA KNOW, you just get to look at hacks when you want to look for them instead of having to sift through a bunch of stuff.

We could take a tip from that, indeed.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

Yeah, a site about SMW hacking is better at showcasing SMW hacks than a site that isn't.
Go figure, right?
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I don't understand what WitherSnow just said and I'm not sure how the person knows about the romhack shack, but I'll give a brief explanation on how the romhack shack became the cartridgé.

The forum was originally for "hacks that are not being currently played" as well as showcasing one's own hacks. I personally didn't visit that section at all because I wasn't interested in a romhack-specific forum. It was probably booming in the early days because there were more people savvy with and interested in romhacks and making them, but the shack lapsed in activity around 2011 & 2012. In October 2012 it was re-themed as a general game talk forum and it's been a huge success since.

Unless there's been a resurgence in romhacking interest lately, bringing it back would be no different from when we used to have it in 2012. I don't see why it has to be specifically romhacking. It's no longer treated as something that gets attention in particular when compared with original game engines like SMBX or just regular games.

If there's demand for showing off games talkhausers made, we could start out with a pinned thread to share stuff, though it looks like members here prefer to make their own threads.
darkychao
Location: When you sleep there's a lesson you must learn: not for the lesson today, mate.

Post by darkychao »

Can't we just have a cartridgé sub-forum for personal projects in general rather than restrict it to just romhacks.
BeatBoxingBoo wrote:a medley is just, like, a mixture of medics
Check out my TF2 community workshop stuff:
Crust CrusherImage Crafty CutterImage PinheadImageThreadImage
If I didn't like anybody who had a different opinion than me on something I like I wouldn't have any friends.-Bwarch
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

CLAMESTAREBLA wrote:
WitherSnow wrote:
Does it occur to you that nobody posts hacks because they use SMWC instead?
So im going to apply your logic to let''s play. You can only post an LP on SA (Something Awful.)
And even if you didn't know of it's barrier of entry and high standards wouldn't that be stupid? It's the same thing here.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to post hacks. I'm just saying they ain't because they're using SMWC because that's where they can get the best feedback and tips. Learn to read.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

that comparison doesnt work because

a) something awful isnt a lets play site

b) smwc did not invent the romhack
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

What is this thread even
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

If you guys want it, a subforum for personal projects doesn't sound half bad.

edit:
Yeah I like that idea.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Yes pls.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

CLAMESTAREBLA wrote:I'm not saying they shouldn't be allowed to post hacks. I'm just saying they ain't because they're using SMWC because that's where they can get the best feedback and tips. Learn to read.
I did learn to read and now im here. Arn't you proud of me?
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

limepie20 wrote:If you guys want it, a subforum for personal projects doesn't sound half bad.

edit:
Yeah I like that idea.
Make it an art showcase subforum because video games are art it's basically the same thing but with video games.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

I agree with the "general personal projects" subforum idea.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
128-Up
Captain Aiwana

Post by 128-Up »

Also agreeing with the Personal Projects area.
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

tbh I'd like it to be a forum in itself, seeing as how artshowcase is its own thing too. Would devalue the personal game projects in comparison.

But I'd be fine with sunforum too I GUESS, if that was really as far as you want to take it.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

although I think such threads probably belong in art showcase I recommend not making it a subforum cuz those are easy to ignore (and it is a general discussion board rather than a hyper specific project board)

I actually think it's a good idea btw
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

The reason i said romhacks specificly is because There is so much discussion that can happen.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

WitherSnow wrote:The reason i said romhacks specificly is because There is so much discussion that can happen.
Uh... not right now. Definetly not right now.

But it could be that a new subforum will encourage more talkhaus members to contribute some romhacks. The chance is slim, but there is one.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Fluffi-dono wrote:
WitherSnow wrote:The reason i said romhacks specificly is because There is so much discussion that can happen.
Uh... not right now. Definetly not right now.

But it could be that a new subforum will encourage more talkhaus members to contribute some romhacks. The chance is slim, but there is one.

I guess it could be a personal projects forum but if i had to choose it would be romhacks.