(shouting)

My dream feature for Everything raocow

Have anything to suggest? A crazy video idea? New merchandise in mind? Write it down here - I'm not saying I'm going to listen, but I promise to pretend very hard.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

My dream feature for Everything raocow

Post by Ditocoaf »

Honestly, what'd be most useful to me would be a page where I can get a big plain text link list formatted thusly:
Double Dragon 2 — (info), (video), (thread) Mar 2014
Cat Pöke — (info), (video), (thread) Mar 2014
Kid Adventure 2 — (info), (first), (thread), (playlist) Mar 2014
Super Pika Land Ultra — (info), (first), (thread), (playlist) Feb-Mar 2014
Rockman 4 Minus Infinity — (info), (first), (thread), (playlist) Jan-Feb 2014
The Second Reality Project Reloaded (replay) — (info), (first), (thread), (playlist) Dec-Jan 2014
Hack 2 — (info), (first), (thread), (playlist) Dec 2013
Megaman Rock Force — (info), (first), (thread), (playlist) Nov-Dec 2013
It's ugly, but I swear it's exactly what I need when I'm looking to go rewatch some old raocow videos, or check out something he played before I started watching. It's hyper-efficient with control-F, and it's neat to just scroll down and see what he played and in what order.

The youtube playlist bit might not happen since that's an unofficial thing some guy is doing, but the rest is my ideal way to navigate Everything's database (once that database is functional again. Doesn't seem to have anything since last May, probably due to the hosting issues?). Obviously there'd be not much else on the page with this list, to minimize loading times, but I don't need to see "X episodes / Start Date: 20XX-XX-XX / Last Updated: 20XX-XX-XX" everywhere.
Here, I'll explain. This is what Everything raocow looks like on my laptop browser:
http://i.imgur.com/G6lqG2A.png
Clicking on "A Super Mario Bros. X Thing: Prelude to the Stupid" brings me here:
http://i.imgur.com/0kyHqD5.png
Here's the first episode's page:
http://i.imgur.com/ot2FqIa.png
Compare that to the second episode's page:
http://i.imgur.com/knVxkIR.png

That's a toooon of redundant information i'm scrolling past on every single page. 90% of every page is empty space and repeated features. All of that website for just two videos.
I know the website isn't even fully functional at the moment, and lord knows I couldn't wrangle all that myself, let alone add a new feature. But I had the time and inclination to put together this little sample list of links, and so I figure I'd post it in case it's even briefly interesting to those who actually do the hard work around here.
Thissa

Re: My dream feature for Everything raocow

Post by Thissa »

The reason the episode pages repeat the information on the game/LP itself is because of deep linking - if you get linked directly to an episode, it's nice to have contextual information about the LP that this episode belongs to. Also it's good for SEO.

Though I agree that it probably shouldn't be right at the top of the page. Maybe in a sidebar or something. I'm not a designer - TLs4 was working to bring one in, and that fell through.

As for why it's not getting updated right now is because I don't have time to process the backlog since the crash. raocow was the one doing the daily updates though, not sure why he stopped - maybe youtube is just that much more convenient.

Rena's going to take over and give it some love in a few months, so definitely keep the suggestions coming!
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

raocow played double dragon 2? OMG
Thissy<3 wrote:Rena's going to take over and give it some love in a few months, so definitely keep the suggestions coming!
yup!

it's going to have to wait until after uni (maybe around the start of June) but if anybody has any suggestions feel free to put them here and i'll probably check back here when I get around to it
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Thissa wrote:The reason the episode pages repeat the information on the game/LP itself is because of deep linking - if you get linked directly to an episode, it's nice to have contextual information about the LP that this episode belongs to. Also it's good for SEO.

Though I agree that it probably shouldn't be right at the top of the page. Maybe in a sidebar or something. I'm not a designer - TLs4 was working to bring one in, and that fell through.
Fair enough. I have a tiny bit of experience with visual design (I used to edit for some school newspapers and do the website and stuff) but at the moment I have more of a general sense of discontent than concrete suggestions for improvement. Thanks for humoring me!
As for why it's not getting updated right now is because I don't have time to process the backlog since the crash. raocow was the one doing the daily updates though, not sure why he stopped - maybe youtube is just that much more convenient.
Yeah, I'm not surprised things haven't recovered, it's tough to get a system like that going again after it's been halted and torn apart.
Rena wrote:raocow played double dragon 2? OMG
Yeah, though I didn't get the link in my post. That's a great example of how a list like that would be fun to scroll through; you can cast your eyes over so many game titles, efficiently packed, that any game title you recognize might catch your eye.
it's going to have to wait until after uni (maybe around the start of June) but if anybody has any suggestions feel free to put them here and i'll probably check back here when I get around to it
Neat! If I give it more thought I might put together a CSS mock-up, for my own peace of mind if nothing else. I'm not super-experienced at website stuff but I love practicing design and I guess I took a CSS class once.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Would raocow be willing to resume daily updates if it was up to date? I feel like that's what's stopping him.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

pretty much, yeah. I got discouraged after the wipe, and to just.. update it with a crator in the middle seems weird?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

it's okay i'm hoping to make it easy to update too
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Well, if this ever actually gets done I'd love some more stats:

Dow long raocow has been doing LPs (pretty easy).

The total length of all his videos (assuming you have data for that - which it looks like you don't)

The average number of videos per day (pretty easy I'd assume).

Number of days with each number of videos. So - like (possibly easy):
0 videos: x days
1 video: y days
etc...

Most commonly said words in video descriptions. (ok, well - that's just if you feel like it since it's not nearly as easy)
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

wouldn't the latter be some kind of article, like 'the'
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
docopoper
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nulla non pharetra enim, nec maximus odio.
First name: Shane Farrell
Pronouns: they/he

Post by docopoper »

Yeah, but if you made the list long enough it would be pretty interesting.
The first thing I would do with infinite power would be to make myself a cave where I could look at my shadow forever.

Image <- Go team Yeah Doctor Shemp.!
Image <- That's everyone being nice to me. ^^

I made a game called Utter Confusion! Play it! :D
It's a lot of fun and has been incredibly popular at every indie game dev party I've brought it to.