(shouting)

Distorted Travesty 3

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Distorted Travesty 3

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Oh man, it's about time!

For those that have been following the blog for the game, found here, this will all be redundant. If you haven't and aren't thinking, 'Ugh, not this guy and his game again', then keep reading!

The silly action platforming final game will be released on Oct. 6.
To quote the blog:
So here's what happening. Hadriex got a hold of the beta back in early July. The game was been 'complete' since June 30th and up to this point, its been just fixing everything and putting in the last bits at the end of the game that I left out at first. I gave Hadriex the beta so he could get footage to make a trailer for the game. (And so he could be my guinea pig as well, little does he know, but don't tell him, HE CAN NEVER KNOW!)

But little did I know, that he was putting together not just a trailer, but a few teaser like trailers based on different parts of the game. NZZ, one of the testers that was on the project for most of its development time also made a trailer. I had an idea that I dropped by both of them (which Hadriex had already been thinking as well) that I'd release one of Hadriex's teasers per day, then NZZ's trailer, then the game after that. Hadriex already has the teasers scheduled to be posted on youtube at 3:00am central US time every day they are to be released. I doubt I'll be up at that time to put up a link, but the morning of, usually around 9am-10am, I will edit this message with another link to a teaser/trailer at the top.

OR you can subscribe to Hadriex's youtube channel here and you don't need to go through my shenanigans. If you're a crazy person that's up at 3am central time like I am (sometimes) you'll get the video right away.
This thread seems like a good place to discuss the game and its stuffs when it is released, so be aware of spoilers when that does occur. (Though Talkhausers have been pretty good with the spoiler tag for things early in their life.)

The first teaser for the game made by Hadriex is here!
I'll probably update this post in the future. The wait is almost over!
Last edited by ZephyrBurst 8 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Re: Distorted Travesty 3

Post by GenesisJames »

raocow's DT playthroughs are some of his best in my opinion (especially the first one), so this is great!
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Oh man, it's out!

Get it here!
Last edited by ZephyrBurst 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
NegativeZeroZ
The Living Travesty

Post by NegativeZeroZ »

I'll be doing a playthrough in my usual "walkthroughesque" style, with high-level gameplay, "official" strategies, personal tips and tricks, 100% completion, all achievements, LOTS of jaw-dropping sequence breaking for optional items, retrospective commentary on my experiences as a beta tester for the game, and showing off a few select concepts and moments that were cut from the final game.

BUT, there's a catch. Out of respect for those playing the game blind (raocow included), I will be staying behind the general progress of everyone else, mainly people looking to make videos of the game. It would hardly do to have someone leave a comment like "hey there raocow, up ahead is this super-hard miniboss that you can totally kill in 3 seconds using an exploit where you etc... I saw it on NegativeZeroZ's video, thumbs up so he can see!!1!"

I've thus far refrained from recording anything using alpha builds, and am only starting now that the game is officially out. And as per usual, I won't upload anything until the project is "done." The game is MASSIVE, so raocow may very well be LPing the game by then, or he may not... I'll wing it in that case. But look forward to it!
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Link's dead, that's why using Dropbox is a bad idea :v
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Stink Terios wrote:Link's dead, that's why using Dropbox is a bad idea :v
Obviously the logical thing to do with a popular link is to disable it when it has too much traffic. Though from a business standpoint I do actually get why they do it to free accounts. It's still obnoxious as hell though. Hopefully Zephyr takes me up on my offer to mirror the download when he sees my pm.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Got a new location for it now. Alice, if you want to mirror it, I'm fine with that.
Alice

Post by Alice »

ZephyrBurst wrote:Got a new location for it now. Alice, if you want to mirror it, I'm fine with that.
Yup, uploading now. It'll be about 35 minutes before it finishes uploading because of my slow upload speed but once it's done I'll link it here.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

http://www.mediafire.com/download/2t8mp ... .0.0.0.rar

Here's a Mediafire mirror a friend uploaded.
Alice

Post by Alice »

ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Alrighty, finally back. I'll be available all day tomorrow, so yay. Thanks you guys for finding other hosts for it, I'll get those on the blog in a moment.
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

What do the Lakitus say? Their dialog keeps getting cut off. Something about salad?
Alice

Post by Alice »

Slit08 wrote:I guess you're talking about [spoiler]the Forest Temple.[/spoiler]

Which bosses did you find difficult so far? Hmm,maybe we can discuss that in the DT 3 thread where we can discuss more freely and where raocow doesn't lurk.
Spoilers for things up to the end of Gate 2 to warn people.
[spoiler]Specifically I found Cackletta's final phase to be very difficult because it just kinda drug on and on. I would commonly reach her final phase at full health but when she'd teleport around using her lightning and fireballs I'd either die from not being quick enough to dodge things or, if I was quick enough to dodge things, I'd consistently get hit by her. Maybe I just have bad luck but she absolutely loved keeping right above me giving me basically no room to maneuver vertically. I eventually beat her with assist mode but even then it actually took me several tries because there was so much past that part I kept failing at. I only even gave up and used assist mode when I finally got past that phase without it after like 50 tries only to learn that there was even more to go.

The other boss I had so much trouble with was, as you guessed, the Forest Temple boss. I don't even know how many times I tried on that boss but I would consistently fail, assist mode or not, just after the poe would appear. After quite awhile of trying and failing at the exact same point I got frustrated enough that I just cheated for infinite health.

The rest of the bosses in the game up to the one just after Gate 2 were all doable either without assist mode at all or at least with assist mode and didn't feel unfair or overwhelming, just difficult. Those two in particular end up feeling really unbalanced to me though. I actually enjoyed every Gate 2 fight after the Forest Temple boss (with the exception of the firebird's purple fireballs, those were a pain in the butt to deal with in the second half of the fight) even when failing a lot. I failed at the Water Temple boss about as many times as I did Cackletta but it felt completely fair when I died in comparison to Cackletta or the Forest Temples boss.[/spoiler]
lordalexander74

Post by lordalexander74 »

Over 22 million awesome points, nearing a 1300 kill streak. AKFing while Jerry's standing on top of a ? block in the first bullet bill hell segment. Gonna see how high this goes...
As of 5:50pm central, just passed 100m awesome, 2777 kill streak. Tempted to leave my PC on all night
Stink Terios

Post by Stink Terios »

Good job, now it's gonna get nerfed to hell. :v
lordalexander74

Least there's no exp involved. Is there even any reward for amassing high awesome/kill streaks?
Alice

Post by Alice »

lordalexander74 wrote:Least there's no exp involved. Is there even any reward for amassing high awesome/kill streaks?
If the description is to be believed awesome points don't actually do anything in this game. As for kill streaks they normall give bonus xp but since the bullet bills don't give any xp that doesn't happen. I think the only thing it could possibly be abused for is unlocking one of the achievements but I don't think those actually do anything either.
lordalexander74

Ended up with much more than needed for the achievement. Gave up on this for now, since i actually want to play the game.

On a different note, on the Castle Road map (G1-12 I think), there's a wall of switch blocks... I fell into the pit, and as I fell the top portion of the blocks disappeared...

G1 boss spoilers
Final phase had a lot going on. Many times I got boxed in, can stream the rain of fire attack though. Like someone else mentioned, maybe it was too much... The game's been tough but doable so far. Beat her on my first try when I switched to assist mode, then immediately quit cause I felt I could do it on normal mode given enough tries.

I wonder what the inevitable equivalent to Think and Act Fast will be like
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Nah, like the game says, Awesome Points do nothing. It's simply an arbitrary number count associated with everything you do, including deaths. Generated enemies like Bullet Bills will stop giving exp on a map after 10 kills to prevent stuff like that. Also, 352 million, I guess you win.
lordalexander74 wrote:I wonder what the inevitable equivalent to Think and Act Fast will be like
Inevitable is the correct word, and without the wonky jumping physics this time.
lordalexander74

I could easily top that if I left my PC on for longer...
G1 boss down after a handful of tries. Final phase was a bit hectic, but it was one of those situations where one could figure out how to handle it with enough practice.
Missing 4/5 items in the final stretch of the gate... Gonna be hunting them tonight.

Only one item left in G1. I found the pipe maze and got both items in there, Only thing I didn't check out too much was that muncher hopping segment in front of the castle. Any hints on where I could find this missing treasure?

And is there a thing that lets you know if there's a treasure in a room, like in DT1?
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

I'm contemplating on having that Gate 1 boss drop a heart on the 3rd hit, considering it's only the second boss fight.
lordalexander74

Honestly I wouldn't bother... I'm not exactly the best at hard platforming games, and that boss didn't take too long to figure out. I did pick up an extra heart container on my way to said boss though.

Nightmare G1 rage:That moment when you get to the end only to miss the last jump...
Last edited by lordalexander74 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Alice

Post by Alice »

lordalexander74 wrote:I did pick up an extra heart container on my way to said boss though.
This is likely why you didn't have issues. It's not exactly simple to get an extra heart before

Cackletta

when an extra heart (or having her drop a heart like Zephyr's considering) actually is quite a bit at that point in the game. I only had three heart pieces before reaching her even though I explored around a fair bit.
lordalexander74

Probably, I'm a bit of a pack rat/completionist when it comes to collecting everything. Every bit of breathing room you can get helps in a game like this.

G1 nightmare boss comments
First two phases are doable, phase 3 can get real crowded. So far I feel like the last two phases are easier than the third. Almost killed him, I'm sure I can get to it later tonight.

Now once you clear a gate, other than that thing that pops up at the end, is there a way to tell if you've missed anything? So far I only saw one prize at the end of the nightmare gate.
Alice

Post by Alice »

lordalexander74 wrote:Now once you clear a gate, other than that thing that pops up at the end, is there a way to tell if you've missed anything? So far I only saw one prize at the end of the nightmare gate.
Go into your map and place the cursor over the room containing a normal gate and it'll show you what you're missing in that gate. For nightmare gates they seem to have a physical location on the main map that you can put the cursor over to check how many items there are. The first one looks to only have one item in it according to the map.