(shouting)

Superb Demo in Miceland (DEMO AVAILABLE)

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
WestonSmith
Bunny

Superb Demo in Miceland (DEMO AVAILABLE)

Post by WestonSmith »

Superb Demo in Miceland
Utilizes the SDL2 Sound Mixer & SMB3 API Mod
Last Updated: April 30th 2016

Demo 1 Available
(NOTE: To get the super sexy custom HUD, move the file "back" from the downloaded folder into the SMB3 Overhaul API Mod)

Full Demo Walkthrough

Trailer

A Thrill-Seeking Cyclops Sets Off to Liberate a Planet of Rodents from their Cat Overlords
Miceland has been under the oppressive paw of the unsavory autocrat cat Lord Mittons for too long. After overthrowing the planet's government, Lord Mittons and his unstoppable (and adorable) Meowlitia enslaved the entire planet, forcing its denizens into military servitude.

Enter Demo. Join our one-eyed space demon hero as she jumps, bops, and flies her way through over 60 action-packed levels. Take on dangerous foes and perilous pits as you seek out hidden Star Coins each stage whilst trying to survive the onslaught of furry critters coming your way. Traverse lush green plains, cloud-high construction sites, haunted forests and much more in this exciting tribute to Super Mario Bros. Fight Demo, for everlasting peace!

What's in Store?
-Over 60 original stages, with linking level themes and strong visual direction
-A robust soundtrack of over 25 awesome remixes
-Original sprite replacements and new custom backgrounds
-A large overworld map filled with character and secret avenues. Use visual clues to find hidden paths to bonus stages and more!
-Collect three Star Coins per stage to gain a Power Star. Maybe they can help you get off this war-torn planet...
-A strong focus on solid platforming and levels that build off of one another to create a living, breathing world... of rodents
-Minimal dialogue, minimal cut-scenes, minimal-non-sense. This is platforming front and center people.

Want to Collab?
Miceland could use your help! While the games direction is largely set in stone, that doesn't mean you can't jump in to express your creativity and talent for making awesome SMBX levels. If you lend a hand, you can help take an A+ fan-game and make it into an A+++++++++ experience.
-Like to make graphics? Miceland is home to all sorts of original creatures, with plenty still looking for their own original design. Pixel up and help to design new enemies to populate our furry planet.
-Enjoy cutscenes? They may be far and few between, but they still exist. Make something impactful that will make players say "wow!"
-Good with Lua? Miceland needs some technical help that Demo can't deliver. Help bring the full potential of Miceland to the forefront with custom code that ties the whole game together.
-Like making levels? Pick a stage from the (near-complete) world map and strap on your designers cap. Use pre-selected music, backgrounds, and some basic-design rules to build the best collection of SMBX levels since A2XT!
-Think you've got a visionary idea that can take this project to the next level? I'm all ears buddy, let's talk and see what we can do!
-Want to build a custom-boss? While the current game is set to utilize standard SMBX bosses, I'd be more than pleased to see quality-Mario style bosses added to the game.

Enemies & Concept Art
Micer: Smaller than a Furba and twice as cuddly, these little guys don't have much in the way of military prowess. But they faithfully march forward, knowing that desertion of their duties will put them on the fast track for dinner with King Kitten. Sorry, I meant put them on the fast track as dinner for King Kitten. *gulp*

Cheddar Head: Now this here is one tough customer! I mean, just look at that leather jacket! And that hair... or helmet... whatever it is, guys with pompadours are bad news. In fact, their fancy hair-helmet is so thick, it makes for a deadly projectile (for friend or foe).

Chipchunk: With pudgy cheeks and a springy tail, Chipchunks are equal parts bouncing menace and adorable rodent. While they struggle with lateral movement, their vertical leap is second to none, making them popular first picks for pick-up basketball games.

Shotgun Micey: Faster than s speeding bullet (because it is a speeding bullet), Shotgun Mickey is the heavy artillery of the Miceland army. Still, I can't imagine a more adorable way to be shot in the face.
Last edited by WestonSmith 8 years ago, edited 14 times in total.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Re: Superb Demo Islands (Demo Available)

Post by WestonSmith »

Added some pics. Hurray.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Will this version of the Superb Demo Base be used in SDS2?
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Superb Demo Islands is not affiliated with the Superb Demo Sisters series, on account of this one being non-collaborative in nature.

So, no. SDS2 (whenever we get around to it) will be an entirely different beast from this.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Re: Superb Demo in Miceland

Post by WestonSmith »

Updated first post. Game is being overhauled some more before work progresses on level design. I'm well aware the Furba replacement looks odd. I failed to follow the 2x2 pixel rule. Not sure if I'll bother fixing it, cause I kind of like 'em as is.
saturnyoshi
Howdy!
First name: Gus

Post by saturnyoshi »

Looks really cool!
I love that SMB3 style HUD, and the part at the beginning, I just think you should change the hopping mice by Squishy Rex to something custom, because Mario enemies in a Demo game? Whaaaaaaat! That never happens!

Maybe I could try to make my own version of the Furba replacement sometime, following the 2x2 rule.
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

Man this looks really good! Please let me know when it's finished, I'd really like to play it :D (and Let's Play it if you want me to!)
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

saturnyoshi wrote:Looks really cool!
I love that SMB3 style HUD, and the part at the beginning, I just think you should change the hopping mice by Squishy Rex to something custom, because Mario enemies in a Demo game? Whaaaaaaat! That never happens!

Maybe I could try to make my own version of the Furba replacement sometime, following the 2x2 rule.
I actually went ahead and did a slight change to the Furba replacement so it looks better. I'll have a video up this week of it.

The hopping mouse may stay simply because custom graphics aren't my strong suit, and it fits the rodent theme. Having said that, I'm not a fan of the sprite and it's entirely possible it will be replaced once I get back to working on this regularly.

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. These project forums tend to be dead 99.99999% of the time.
saturnyoshi
Howdy!
First name: Gus

Post by saturnyoshi »

Oh, alright.

If you do need any graphics done, I would love to help, so just ask!

Also, I looked at the concept art and I really like the Battye design, seems a lot like something that would be in a Yoshi game, I love how you used the wings on the front as a tie, it's very creative!
QubicTom
Pleasantly Confused
First name: Tom

Post by QubicTom »

You're right about the project forums being pretty quiet - I think most are only interested in collaborative projects (which is understandable!). Also, many projects start but don't finish, which is frustrating :lol:

Definitely keep making little progress reports, I'll be checking back regularly :D When it comes to release time, let raocow know, I'm sure he'd plug it somehow, since it's an ASMT game.

Have you thought about encouraging the development of Superb Demo Sisters 3 (skipping 2 for now) since the SMB3 modifications work so well right now? Your video demos how well the mod API works, I think you could get some very major interest :)
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

Not to be rude but the READY GO thing at the beginning is really awkward. I almost thought you made this in MUGEN or something.

WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Jesuiscontent wrote:Not to be rude but the READY GO thing at the beginning is really awkward. I almost thought you made this in MUGEN or something.
It's fighting game inspired, that's for sure. The voice will probably change (I'd much rather have a girl's voice then a man's, but I'm too baritone to make it work by myself). I'd like to change the graphic too, especially before I'm too deep into the project. Can't seem to find a font I like though, nor am I interested in making my own. I may remove it entirely, depending on how things go (because I actually find it awkward myself, at least for the moment).

Also, don't be afraid to be negative. Negativity breeds improvement. Positivity breeds nothing but "good enough" efforts.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Jesuiscontent wrote:I almost thought you made this in MUGEN or something.
welcome to the stage of history
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Added a SUPER SHORT video of a few enemy animations. The Ninji replacement suffers from being too thin and compact for its own good, so it'll probably need to be redone from scratch.
Horikawa Otane wrote:My voice is awful but I could record you something.
I'm down for at least trying it. I'll PM ya sometime.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

First post updated with new video and new art.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Updated first post with new trailer. Also added progress section. Game is still in its planning phase, but I am starting to get an idea of what I want the final product to look like. If you think you'll have free time during the next year, check out the progress section and let me know if there's anything you'd be interested in working on.

EDIT: No idea why the video doesn't play audio in the embed, but there is music if you open the video in Youtube.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

The trailer looks very good. I like the little fdetails like the tiny fish in the pond. We rarely see that kind of thing done.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Hey; work is progressing slowly on the games planning phase. I have a pretty good idea of what I want out of this game now. So two general questions:

(1) Would anyone be interested in assisting me with the grunt work (luna, graphics, cutscenes)?
(2) Anyone interested in working on level design (given some very specific restrictions)?

This project could be much bigger than what I originally anticipated, but it requires a team for that to happen. If peeps are interested, let me know.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Re: Superb Demo in Miceland (Anyone Interested in Helping?)

Post by WestonSmith »

Re-worked the opening post. Still interested in working collab if anyone is interested. Added some new official art for some enemies. Hoping to re-post the updated demo before the end of the month.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Re: Superb Demo in Miceland (Anyone Interested in Helping?)

Post by WestonSmith »

Added the demo link and a video showcasing the full demo to the opening post.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Superb Demo in Miceland (DEMO AVAILABLE)

Post by Slimeman01 »

Ill try making a level for this! Is there anything I need to make one? I already have A2MBXT
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Slimeman01 wrote:Ill try making a level for this! Is there anything I need to make one? I already have A2MBXT
Depending on interest, I will be getting together a small "mission briefing" package on the ins and outs of a Miceland level. I'll get in touch once that happens.
Rejnka

Post by Rejnka »

I'm in line as well!
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Hey; to the 15 people or so who downloaded the demo: thank you!

But on to business; any feedback? Any changes you'd like made? Is the bonus Kood levels fun? I'm hoping to hop back into this during the fall/winter, but want to make sure I'm on the correct path. I see lots of tiny changes to make, and am contemplating two big ones:

(1) Removal of the Bonus Kood Levels (to be replaced with... maybe just an extra level? Nothing at all?)
(2) Removal of the Leaf Power-up (which I've always been hesitant on)