(shouting)

Turnip Games: Feat. Turnips

wanna make a game, or anything else? seminal bloom!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Turnip Games: Feat. Turnips

Post by TaviTurnip »

Turnips make games. They have turnips in them. Turnips like turnips.

Actual turnips are kinda gross though.

[Download Link] - Literally just run this from wherever you saved it.

WASD + K <-- Your controls.

This is an old pet project I started last year, where I worked pretty hard on a ton of graphics and then got shafted by a mobile developer who had no idea what he was doing and got mad at me because I wasn't developing it for him, pretty much. He basically had no idea what a video game even looked like and we parted ways when after four months he still didn't understand how to present graphics or how to make assets not bound all over the screen on a whim. It was a really awful waste of my time <3

To answer two (actually three) questions you might have if you try it:
1) No, you can't be hurt in any fashion whatsoever
2) If you get stuck in the walls, mash the direction opposite of where you want to go
3) The fairies are not enemies!
This game here is basically a ten-hour project I put together in Game Maker this week and is really just a proof of concept for me to satisfy my own little fun. It's not very deep, not very involved, the collision physics are very rough, but it's playable if you want to dink around and has approximately two minutes of interest factor :P If you wanna play around in it, go right aheeead. I have no skills in programming, absolutely no skills in something like mobile or real game development, and I could never make it a real fleshed out game on my own, but I kinda hope one day that I can find someone who could or that I could learn how to myself. I just don't have the free time to learn development from scratch right now :(
Last edited by TaviTurnip 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Re: Turnip Games: Feat. Turnips

Post by Gardenolva »

When you say 'Turnip Games', I thought the characters ARE the turnips.

So, this game is a 'Harvest Moon'-ish game? Can't tell by your screenshot.

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

En Gardevoir wrote:When you say 'Turnip Games', I thought the characters ARE the turnips.
One day Image

It's not really like Harvest Moon though :o The vegetables grow on their own over time (like thirty seconds to a minute) and your job is simply to collect/protect them to earn points, then repeat until you have enough to beat the level. Back when it was still a mobile game in development before my programmer scrapped it, different crop types gave you different powers to defeat foes (watermelon was a water gun, for example) and there were a few other quirks. This version doesn't really feature that, but yeah. Zero farm activity by the player, all action, but it does look kinda Harvest Moony from the screenshot xD
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Gardenolva

Post by Gardenolva »

I tried the game, and it was kinda anti-climactic from I was expecting...

Anyway, what's the purpose of the HP anyways? Are there any enemies that can damage you?

temporaryUsername

Post by temporaryUsername »

I'd really like to help you with this game...
Just PM me! :D
(I'm a hobby programmer)
temporaryUsername

Post by temporaryUsername »

RenaTurnip wrote: 3) The fairies are not enemies!
Then what are they? I am working on a tech demo for this and I'd like to include them...
Also could you please check your PMs?
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

En Gardevoir wrote:I tried the game, and it was kinda anti-climactic from I was expecting...

Anyway, what's the purpose of the HP anyways? Are there any enemies that can damage you?
Sorry, I wanted to reply to this like forever ago but I wasn't sure if I was going to keep building upon it and I didn't want to post with no content `~` My bad. But you should read the first post more thoroughly for answers, basically :P There is very little substance to this little demo, like I said it was basically just me making a proof-of-concept sorta thing. Your HP cannot be damaged by anything currently, and there's no goal to the game, just a few functions. In theory if it was a real complete game, that would all obviously be different, but yeah. Enemies would hurt you like normal and the goal would probably be score/time-based.
temporaryUsername wrote:Also could you please check your PMs?
Finally got to this, I apologize. I'm easily distracted by smaller things.
Gardenolva

Post by Gardenolva »

You really should get a laptop again. BTW, what are you using to login to talkhaus?

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

En Gardevoir wrote:You really should get a laptop again. BTW, what are you using to login to talkhaus?
An old heavily-used IBM from 2007 that barely loads web browsers and coughs when you click anything >_> There isn't much I can do on here other than communicate, basically. (Word processing and pixel art are thankfully within its limits.)