(shouting)

Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Make A Good Level Contest (SMW) 3 - Discussion

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Yo... is there a prompt for these levels? Currently, I am not opposed to getting a level out there for the talkhaus to play... Sign me up, but know that I might be quite busy, and I still need to learn the Lunar Magic ropes.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

Oh man I'd do this if I had the motivation to make a long level. Maybe one day I'll learn the key to making fun Moon Magicy level game type things.
SMCslevelengine
eh

Post by SMCslevelengine »

Oh man I'd do this if I had the motivation to make a long level.
Protip: DON'T make a long level for this, or any contest.
You should only see them in hacks like Colossus or Bits and Pieces.
more often known as levelengine
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Yo... is there a prompt for these levels? Currently, I am not opposed to getting a level out there for the talkhaus to play... Sign me up, but know that I might be quite busy, and I still need to learn the Lunar Magic ropes.
no prompt, no gimmicks, it's all on you
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

Ima try this, time to learn all these programs!
EDIT: I can't place any enemies. I don't know why :/
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Slimeman01 wrote:Ima try this, time to learn all these programs!
Lunar Magic has separate modes for placing sprites, layer 1 blocks and layer 2 blocks. You can switch between them with a set of buttons to the left side of the toolbar with all the buttons. You can't miss it.
Heraga

Post by Heraga »

SMCslevelengine wrote:
Oh man I'd do this if I had the motivation to make a long level.
Protip: DON'T make a long level for this, or any contest.
You should only see them in hacks like Colossus or Bits and Pieces.
By "long" I meant like the size of a generic SMW level. My typical levels are more fragmented and only a couple screens long.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

if anyone needs it, here's raocow's lp of magl1, since this is based off that.

Hopefully we can beat magl2's 36 entries this time around.

BTW, has this been crossposted elsewhere?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

First time for me to enter a contest without knowing anything on the matter.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Is there a secondary contest planned this time, like the Boss contest for MAGLX2?

I've always kind of wanted to see an overworld contest but I have no idea how judging for one would work.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

>MaGL2's 36 entries

I somehow don't feel like that'll be hard to topple `~`
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Slimeman01 wrote:Ima try this, time to learn all these programs!
talkhaus or smw central discord server can be a good place to ask for help. Also I think you need to click the shell image on top left. There is different editing mode for blocks and sprites.
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

I want to try to make something good, but I don't like it b/c they make the judges be anonymous, and they are always really overcritical. Like, for example, last time, I made a really good level, and they just gave me a bad score b/c I used the resources from a level that I made w/TLMB, and he said it was okay. Maybe, it would be better if I could work w/a partner if anyone wants to. I have to think of some good ideas.
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory

Post by Coryman »

I dunno if this is the right place to complain but w/e
I made a decent level (I'll continue adding to it), and a song to go along with it, but when I tried to import the song it wouldn't work. If I put at the top #am4, it said something about the pitch being too high. If I put #amk 1, it said it wasn't on a channel...
Good thing there's a whole month left
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

raocow wrote:
Zephyr_DragonLord wrote:Yo... is there a prompt for these levels? Currently, I am not opposed to getting a level out there for the talkhaus to play... Sign me up, but know that I might be quite busy, and I still need to learn the Lunar Magic ropes.
no prompt, no gimmicks, it's all on you
I see. I was counting on it for giving me a bit of direction to my potential entry. Though I DO have an idea for mitigating that...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

I have received news from the ether (the ether being video descriptions) that MaGL the third is finally upon us! But can I remember what directory I kept Lunar Magic in?
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

been out of the romhacking scene for a tad but thats not gonna stop me from being overambitious and wild. biggest death sentence in these kinda of contests are making the super long levels that the like, vanilla contest '10 had, yeah?

also i have never used snes9x until now i was always one of the sewer creatures who used zsnes does snes9x have an equivalent of the space time rewind that zsnes does?
RoboSllim

Post by RoboSllim »

Man, I keep chickening out of the MAGLX contests, and I keep missing the SMW contests, but I think I'll do this one. I used to know how to use Lunar Magic, so I should at least be able to whip up a sweet french vanilla level in a month. As long as I can get "fun rompy mid-game level" status, I'll be pleased with that.
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

idol wrote:also i have never used snes9x until now i was always one of the sewer creatures who used zsnes does snes9x have an equivalent of the space time rewind that zsnes does?
Savestates only, unfortunately, though if you can run it BizHawk has a rewind function. You'd have to enable medium states in the "Rewind and States" menu for SNES games, though.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
MECHDRAGON777
Up in the Tower floating above Gensokyo lies the true me in reverse.

Post by MECHDRAGON777 »

I learned how to use Lunar Magic, but how to I use the tools to import graphics?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol
Pronouns: she/her

Post by idol »

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:I learned how to use Lunar Magic, but how to I use the tools to import graphics?
like, ExGFX? SMW has a tutorials forum here: http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewforum&f=1939

there's also video tutorials on youtube to help with stuff you need to know.
Lespna01

Post by Lespna01 »

I kind of have an idea for a joke level, but I'm afraid if I do it, people will make fun of it, and I will get last place or if I make something good and funny, do I have a chance of doing well? I know I probably won't win b/c people will use ASM and make really good graphics, and those people will do really well and get good feedback.
I want to get the text that scrolls and makes a sound when the text appears. Is there an IPS patch for that or do I need to know ASM to do that? B/c if I do, I am stuck. Also, like the other person mentioned, I have trouble w/inserting the music, and I don't know how to make it sound accurate when I try to write it? I'm trying to see if I can get a partner to work w/.

Oh, and one more thing: in a previous contest, someone used a MIDI w/Actraiser music. I've never tried to use a MIDI. Is it complicated to make it work and will it make the file really big?
Coryman
The road to nowhere leads to me
First name: Cory

Post by Coryman »

I'm assuming I'm the above mentioned person with musical challenges so I'll summarise my day's activities here:
1. I made a MIDI using anvil studios
2. I used tinymm to convert it to another file type, then a .text
3. I went through hours of trying to load it with addmusick
4. I got a program to automatically adjust the text file to work, and imported it and it worked! (I can link it tomorrow if need be)
Midis are super small, compared to mp3s and other music types. Only problem I had is that the instruments were slightly different, but that's easy enough to fix.
So yeah, I can explain in more detail in ~10h if anyone needs it!

P.S. My level is also short and gimmickey, so it should be okay
raocow wrote: In a world where shag carpeting wins a fight against a helicopter, we spend a lot of time reading and comparing numbers.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raekuul wrote:
idol wrote:also i have never used snes9x until now i was always one of the sewer creatures who used zsnes does snes9x have an equivalent of the space time rewind that zsnes does?
Savestates only, unfortunately, though if you can run it BizHawk has a rewind function. You'd have to enable medium states in the "Rewind and States" menu for SNES games, though.
RetroArch can do this as well.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I am so glad that Lunar Magic is so gracious and idiot-friendly and that zero out of five things were simple to do within the first two hours; we wouldn't want something easy like the dumb ol' SMBx vanilla editor in here or anything.

I am so not ready to study Literally Everything for this, but here we go.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!