pge projectsmbx communitymario fan games galaxy

firefox related css updates (bbcode/shoutbox) - ctrl-f5 if they're still jacked up for you

Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST FINISHED. THANKS GUYS!

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Re: Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST CLOSED. List of Participants Posted (make sure you're on it!)

Postby Horikawa Otane » 5 months ago

I'm moving the time to 5pm EST on Thursday because I'm an idiot and didn't realize I had stuff to do Thursday night.
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Bellmoore
Mostly quiet

Re: Make a Rad Bug - CONTEST CLOSED. List of Participants Posted (make sure you're on it!)

Postby Bellmoore » 5 months ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm moving the time to 5pm EST on Thursday because I'm an idiot and didn't realize I had stuff to do Thursday night.
Yay, I don't have to wake up early on Friday! 8h difference in timezones is rough.

Mikkofier
Mi-go
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Mikkofier » 5 months ago

Translator's note: Kirppu means flea.
You can wage war against another country, or on a national group within your own country, but you can't wage war on an abstract noun. How do you know when you've won? When you've got it removed from the Oxford English Dictionary?
-Terry Jones
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!

ImageImageImage

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 5 months ago

Mikkofier wrote:Translator's note: Kirppu means flea.
I thought it was a "tick" bug. Would have been funnier.
Starting a new LP Here. Do give the game a look if you find it interesting.

Mikkofier
Mi-go
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Postby Mikkofier » 5 months ago

Willhart wrote:
Not smart enough for that level of wordplay, I just went "dur, what's a finnish bug?"
It's a shame, "Punkki" would've been a cool name.
You can wage war against another country, or on a national group within your own country, but you can't wage war on an abstract noun. How do you know when you've won? When you've got it removed from the Oxford English Dictionary?
-Terry Jones
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!

ImageImageImage

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Mikkofier wrote:
Willhart wrote:
Not smart enough for that level of wordplay, I just went "dur, what's a finnish bug?"
It's a shame, "Punkki" would've been a cool name.
Ah I must have mixed Kirppu and Punkki together. Kirppu is pretty nice too. My bug was called snowFlake by the similar reasoning. Though maybe it'd been more fun as "lumiHiutale", at least for listening people try to pronounce it.

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Postby Rednaxela » 5 months ago

Pyro wrote:<stuff said in the most recent stream about only 4 random values>
Actually Pyro, you can get random values that are not just 1/2/3/4, if you use a "cmath" statement. My bug with the big long lines used that a little (though not because of the floating point values, just to tiebreak some binary decisions in part of the formulas).
Currently LPing: Ys Origin

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Rednaxela wrote:
Pyro wrote:<stuff said in the most recent stream about only 4 random values>
Actually Pyro, you can get random values that are not just 1/2/3/4, if you use a "cmath" statement. My bug with the big long lines used that a little (though not because of the floating point values, just to tiebreak some binary decisions in part of the formulas).
It'd be nice if some bugs were posted here to after the contest. Would probably learn a lot from different designs.

Clyceer

Postby Clyceer » 5 months ago

I could definitely post my code here after the contest. Also, I only included a password because it seemed standard to do so. To save the trouble of breaking it, it's "YouMonster" (without the quotes). My throwaway passwords tend to be video game references. ("I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster.")

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 months ago

The next contest stream will be next Sunday around 5pm EST.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 4 months ago

Looks like all of the old episodes have already disappeared from twitch. Good to be present if you don't want to miss them.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Willhart wrote:Looks like all of the old episodes have already disappeared from twitch. Good to be present if you don't want to miss them.
I have them backed up. I plan to upload them cut up to YouTube.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Horikawa Otane wrote:The next contest stream will be next Sunday around 5pm EST.
Obviously this didn't happen. There was an emergency with a friend and I had to go help. Unfortunately, this overlapped with the time I had intended to stream.

The real next stream will be moved to tomorrow at 8pm EST.

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:The next contest stream will be next Sunday around 5pm EST.
Obviously this didn't happen. There was an emergency with a friend and I had to go help. Unfortunately, this overlapped with the time I had intended to stream.

The real next stream will be moved to tomorrow at 8pm EST.
Sorry to hear. I hope things turned out better.

Willhart
Reader on the forums

It could be neat to have the list of current contestants left here too.

neuronic

Postby neuronic » 4 months ago

I'm really enjoying the tournament! I usually catch the video's a day or two after they are posted.

Little known fact, my inspiration for this game was an old Origin Systems Game called OMEGA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_(video_game) I played the hell out of it on my C64 back in the late 80's!

I never really had the chance to observe users navigate my games user interface. Most of its design was based on what made sense to me, I've learned a lot of lessons since the 90's, the 3D engine was a big update I did for it around 2003 and a tweak here and there since then (mostly done when I localized it for a company in China). It's kind of painful to watch the old school way I patched my menus together! Many options were requested back when it was new by players in the old tournament forums. :) I'm glad you figured out the check box for the IFF disable option!

The strategy node has its settings on the 'Music video and other settings' button. There is an option to define its position (looks like you had the center location which is the default) or un-check it to make it random. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out! If any of the participants want to send me their Cybug's after this is over I can add them to the monthly tournament on the TacticalNeuronics.com site. No prizes for winning, just the satisfaction of seeing your bug win and collect awards (if it can!) Just email them to John.Reder@TacticalNeuronics.com the tournament results link is here: http://tacticalneuronics.com/content/Results.asp - It's battles are automated but I have to kick it off manually so the execution date moves around a bit.

John Reder
Tactical Neuronics

Willhart
Reader on the forums

I sent my big to the thing to see the world and sail the internet. Also next one of these was mentioned to be on Tuesday again.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Willhart wrote:I sent my big to the thing to see the world and sail the internet. Also next one of these was mentioned to be on Tuesday again.
It is worthy of note that Willhart lives in Finland and rarely remembers that other human beings exist in other timezones.

The next one will be MONDAY at 9pm EST.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

RIP to the following bugs - lost to time forever (having been double-eliminated):

Sturg
Pyro
Metrosubwayandroid
Penguin Emperor
Redmagemike

Le Neveu de Rameau
Rødgrød uden fløde
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Postby Le Neveu de Rameau » 4 months ago

I swear I forget about these every time, despite telling myself to make a mental note, and in the rare cases where I remember, they get rescheduled, whereupon I forget the rescheduled version. But I guess when you're on a streak, it's important not to ruin it.

raekuul
Once, I killed Godmode Pyro
First name: Pokota

Postby raekuul » 4 months ago

I am pleasantly surprised.

Here's my bot's code, for the interested.

Code: Select all

name dumbot
author Pokota
iff code dumb

main:
move forward
if value #cur_fuel < 1 then self destruct
generate random
goto #random

1:
turn left
goto look

2:
turn right
goto look

3:
move backward
goto look

4:
move forward
goto look

look:
scan forward
if scan found enemy then gosub murder
if scan found flag then gosub charge
scan perimeter
if scan found enemy then gosub sparx
if scan found flag then gosub circle
goto main

circle:
move forward
turn right
move forward
turn right
move forward
move forward
move forward
turn right
move forward
move forward
move forward
turn right
move forward
move forward
goto look

sparx:
discharge energy
move backward
goto look

charge:
move forward
move forward
move forward
move forward
move forward
scan forward
if scan found enemy then gosub murder
goto look

murder:
fire weapon
fire weapon
fire weapon
fire weapon
fire weapon
goto charge

失格のサイン〜明らかな盗作 (Disqualification Sign ~ Obvious Plagiarism)
Streams Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting about 20:00 EST

Willhart
Reader on the forums

I'll post my code once the bot gets beaten. Looking forward to getting to commentate. Will see if I can get to the next one.

Willhart
Reader on the forums

Postby Willhart » 3 months ago

When do you think will be the next stream?

neuronic

Postby neuronic » 3 months ago

Willhart wrote:I sent my big to the thing to see the world and sail the internet. Also next one of these was mentioned to be on Tuesday again.
He did well in the December 2016 round! He made it to the second round battles!
http://tacticalneuronics.com/content/Results_201612.asp

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

Postby Horikawa Otane » 3 months ago

Willhart wrote:When do you think will be the next stream?
Let's say I try to do one next week sometime. No promises on a date - it depends on how my research goes.

Return to “contest center”