(shouting)

MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^

What shall this glorious abomination be called?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Life, the universe, and everything
7%
You only have yourself to blame
44%
The Way of the Torch
3%
The MAGLX Olympiad
8%
59 Screens
13%
The Relay Level
2%
A Really Long Level
5%
That which dwells outside the haus
2%
Terrestrial Schizophrenia
10%
Baby Got Serac
4%

Total votes: 97

Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Midpoint Testing Edition - 98% done)

Post by Mikkofier »

How's things?
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Horikawa Otane wrote:PM me a 100% completed version by 100th place. Make axes invisible, etc.
Does this mean that you will not be making the final screen for it?
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Rednaxela wrote:ping
So how are those last few things coming along, since we've got a deadline approaching.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Horikawa Otane wrote:PM me a 100% completed version by 100th place. Make axes invisible, etc.
Noted. Will do. :)
Dragon Fogel wrote:So how are those last few things coming along, since we've got a deadline approaching.
SMBX-related time has lately been going towards LunaDLL stuff mostly, but will return to this very very shortly.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Rednaxela wrote:ping
So how's it going? Mostly I'm a little worried about how much time there's going to be for one final round of testing.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Dragon Fogel wrote:So how's it going? Mostly I'm a little worried about how much time there's going to be for one final round of testing.
Unexpected lack of time recently, but will have something by tomorrow night. Expect it then :)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Has this been tested through recently? I ask because I just tried out an older version I have on my computer with the latest version of LunaLua, and none of the graphics in the bees section were displayed.

EDIT: Looks like this applies to all "placeSprite" calls. Not sure if I've just done something stupid or this is a bug with the latest Lua version.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I tested the most-recently-posted version with the most recent LunaLua version at the time it was posted and the bees worked. Haven't done an update since then that I recall, though.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Hoeloe wrote:I ask because I just tried out an older version I have on my computer with the latest version of LunaLua, and none of the graphics in the bees section were displayed.

EDIT: Looks like this applies to all "placeSprite" calls. Not sure if I've just done something stupid or this is a bug with the latest Lua version.
A bug in LunaLua, caused by some stuff that was being added for animated-gif loading purposes. I've fixed it now, though time it's taken to find and fix that bug means what I hoped to post for the relay level tonight will be tomorrow night instead.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

A little update here.

If you test, please do so with this build of LunaLua LunaLUA_0.7.1.1minusRedRL-beta_update.zip
Download here: MaGLX2Relay-58I.zip

Changes:
- Remove propeller block from the player just before GalaxyOfJ's screen as planned
-

Transform into Peach with 2 hearts instead of Mini-Peach with 1

, at the end of SpoonyBardOL's screen
- Axes are now invisible (npc-178.gif)

Known technical issues:
- Some reported FPS drop earlier, haven't found the cause yet or really gotten it to occur for me yet.
- Music restart at Crocomire. Don't know the cause currently.

An additional note, current LunaLua builds now support proper transparency levels for all npcs/blocks/bgos/etc via PNG files, which is a nifty thing. I mention it just in case anyone wants to replace a sprite they used with something slightly fancier? Not thinking of cases off-hand where it really fits super well but just in case I thought I'd mention it.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

i don't think the PNG files allow for anything explicitly fancier than the gif mask system, do they?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Ivy wrote:i don't think the PNG files allow for anything explicitly fancier than the gif mask system, do they?
Yes. The gif masks only really support binary transparency. Semi-transparency gives strange results. Using pngs fixes that.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Rednaxela wrote: - Music restart at Crocomire. Don't know the cause currently.
Have you checked the internal SMBX events system? I think it's an event there.

EDIT: Try deleting the associated events, and remaking them.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Doing a god mode run since I've already tested this a ton for difficulty, and I'm a bit out of practice.

New issues I noticed:
-You can get caught in a wall if you kill the Koopa on Sniggerb0bble's section with a hammer in midair, that's pretty tough to do though so this isn't a big deal.
-Turns out you can skip Ometeotl's section if you have a leaf or Tanooki powerup. Not a big deal, since it means you don't get the Dragon Coin.
-If you hit the left block on kuposan3's screen with a tail, you can trigger the event multiple times, including after the Goomba dies. Which means you're trapped.
-If you actually manage to get a hammer suit all the way to Crocomire, you can kill him with it before the fight starts and this messes things up. Batafire never reappears, for one thing.

And reviewing the two lists of issues brought up a while ago:
SAJewers wrote:- Player 1 Start point is wrong - Fixed.
- In the Freeze/Block puzzle, you can still hit enter to restart time prematurely, when messes things up slightly as you still don't get re-powered up until the natural restart time. - Fixed, pressing Enter did nothing when I tried it.
- After the completing Koopa/Switch Block screen, I got an FPS drop that continued until I died and restarted the level - Still getting lag. Not as bad as I remember; you have to get pretty far without dying before it's noticeable. Still, would be good if it were fixed, since some people may want to do one-life runs.
- The music still resets upon beating Crocomire. It shouldn't restart from the beginning. - Already noted.
- Not a bug, but it'd be nice if I didn't have to re-do the quiz everytime I restarted the level there - Not urgent to address, however it's worth noting that the "fail horn" suggestion wasn't implemented.
- Not sure if Intended, but you can use the propeller block to quickly reach the top of GalaxyofJ's screen and skip everything else - Fixed.
- It'd be nice if peach started out with a powerup (or there was a powerup available right from the start) - This has been done.
Dragon Fogel wrote: -I made it to Section 4 on one life, but I started getting lag in Section 2 and it didn't go away until I died. This was particularly troublesome in Section 4, the fade-out felt very slow and the autoscroll was so slow as to be awkward again. I see SAJewers thinks the time-stop puzzle is triggering this somehow. - Same issue as the FPS drop SAJewers mentioned.
-Cirno's screen progresses to mine properly now. However, you can't actually see the lava, so an unprepared player might jump on the blobs and die without realizing why. - Lava is barely visible; I couldn't see it due to the fact that I can't quite see the entire screen in the editor and I tend to scroll it so I can see the bottom rather than the top. Still, it's clear the blobs are dying, so this is probably okay.
-There's a bit of empty space between Nopor Puss' head and the player's feet. This is probably due to the sprite size. I hadn't noticed until this latest run. - Fixed.
-I think we already agreed to remove the propeller block once you reach GalaxyOfJ's screen, but that hasn't been done yet. - Already mentioned.
-The upper Ninji on OrangeChickenPasta's screen gets blown up by the bombs now. I don't remember that happening before, but I saw it happen twice in a row this time. Maybe move the bomb generator back a tile? I second the suggestion of starting Peach with a power-up. - Seems to be fixed.
-The issue with blocks not appearing on Kapus' screen seems to be a matter of reaching that screen with the time stop in effect. Not sure what can be done about this, maybe some Lua trickery to cancel the effect before switching sections? - Not addressed.
-Best option I can think of for danddjosh's screen is to put a mushroom on a generator. You can't really backtrack in this section, so it shouldn't break later screens, and it means the issue is just that getting to the top of the bombable blocks is trickier and slower, but not likely to kill you. (Unless you do that intentionally to skip it, of course.) - Not addressed
-You can bring a springboard from Pyro's screen to LunarRainbowShyGuy's. This doesn't make a huge difference because you still have to wait for the garbage blocks to fall, but it can mess things up? - Not addressed, probably doesn't affect anything though.
-Pholtos' screen is pretty doable once you know what to do; I got it on my first attempt. But I still think there should be a midpoint closer to it because the first part of this section can take a while and gets annoying to repeat. A midpoint either before or after LunarRainbowShyGuy's screen might work best. - Not addressed.
-When the boss dies on Mabel's screen, you only see the upper-left of it in the death effect. Might want to fix that. - Not addressed. Death effect seems to work fine in Section 4, though.
-Did we ever decide on something for the fifth dragon coin? I think the simplest option might be to make it a prize either in place of or in addition to the 1-Up on SharkNurse's screen. That or let Horikawa add the final one. - Not addressed.

I think that covers everything I noticed.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Wasn't time to work on it tonight, there will be tomorrow. I'll comment on a few things though.
Dragon Fogel wrote:-You can get caught in a wall if you kill the Koopa on Sniggerb0bble's section with a hammer in midair, that's pretty tough to do though so this isn't a big deal.
-Turns out you can skip Ometeotl's section if you have a leaf or Tanooki powerup. Not a big deal, since it means you don't get the Dragon Coin.
Thinking those aren't a big deal too.
Dragon Fogel wrote:-If you hit the left block on kuposan3's screen with a tail, you can trigger the event multiple times, including after the Goomba dies. Which means you're trapped.
-If you actually manage to get a hammer suit all the way to Crocomire, you can kill him with it before the fight starts and this messes things up. Batafire never reappears, for one thing.
I'll probably look into these tomorrow.
Dragon Fogel wrote:-I think we already agreed to remove the propeller block once you reach GalaxyOfJ's screen, but that hasn't been done yet. - Already mentioned.
Fixed, not just mentioned
Dragon Fogel wrote:-The issue with blocks not appearing on Kapus' screen seems to be a matter of reaching that screen with the time stop in effect. Not sure what can be done about this, maybe some Lua trickery to cancel the effect before switching sections? - Not addressed.
This was supposed to have been fixed in a prior version actually, version H.
Dragon Fogel wrote:-When the boss dies on Mabel's screen, you only see the upper-left of it in the death effect. Might want to fix that. - Not addressed. Death effect seems to work fine in Section 4, though.
A bit confused at why that NPC's death effect is working fine in one section and not another...
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Did a quick run to test a couple of things.
Dragon Fogel wrote:-If you hit the left block on kuposan3's screen with a tail, you can trigger the event multiple times, including after the Goomba dies. Which means you're trapped.
Turns out this happens if you just hit it regularly. It should probably disappear on being hit.

Also, I was wrong, the Ninji on OrangeChickenPasta's screen still sometimes gets killed by the bombs. Seems to only happen if its jumps are timed in a particular way, which is why I didn't notice it last time. Moving the bombs further back should fix this.
Rednaxela wrote:
Dragon Fogel wrote:-The issue with blocks not appearing on Kapus' screen seems to be a matter of reaching that screen with the time stop in effect. Not sure what can be done about this, maybe some Lua trickery to cancel the effect before switching sections? - Not addressed.
This was supposed to have been fixed in a prior version actually, version H.
On my test run, I went through the upper pipe; on this one I went through the lower. This time, I noticed that the generators were working, (though there weren't any blocks there to begin with) but the time stop sound effect was still playing. Maybe that's what happened last time and I just was thrown off by the sound effect.
Rednaxela wrote:
Dragon Fogel wrote:-When the boss dies on Mabel's screen, you only see the upper-left of it in the death effect. Might want to fix that. - Not addressed. Death effect seems to work fine in Section 4, though.
A bit confused at why that NPC's death effect is working fine in one section and not another...
May have to do with the direction it's facing. It's always facing right in Section 4, but when it died on Mabel's screen it was facing left. I guess it could theoretically also be interacting weirdly with the rain effect?

Also, I realized a new issue with a one-life run attempt: the colored switches are still active from Sniggerb0bble's screen. In particular, this means you're locked in on Kapus' screen and have to use the shadowstar cheat or kill yourself with bombs. Didn't notice before because I was just shadowstarring through there. Shouldn't be hard to fix; I assume you can just set the switch positions with Lua trickery, and even if not, worst case we can kill some switch goombas automatically or something.
Lejes
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Post by Lejes »

Dragon Fogel wrote: -If you actually manage to get a hammer suit all the way to Crocomire, you can kill him with it before the fight starts and this messes things up. Batafire never reappears, for one thing.
The only way to render something immune to hammers is to set it to friendly, right? I just looked at the Lua code for this and it seems like I already did exactly that, including hurting the player when they touch the friendly Crocomire sprite and removing the friendly status when it's time for it to get dunked. So either some of that got removed in a revision at some point, or the if statement for removing friendly status was flawed from the beginning and is removing it prematurely.

Code: Select all

--Remove friendly status when it falls into the lava.
for k, v in pairs(findnpcs(120, player.section)) do
	if (v.y >= -140256) then
		v:mem(0x46, FIELD_WORD, 0);
	end
end
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

A little further testing on that.

If I kill Crocomire with a hammer before the battle actually starts, Batafire doesn't reappear. If I don't use any hammers until the battle starts, Batafire comes back as if I'd knocked Crocomire into the lava.

I thought the friendly status might not be getting set until the actual fight begins, but it looks like that isn't the case. Maybe it would work better to set Crocomire to a ridiculous number of hits, so that he's sure to hit the lava before you can deplete his HP?
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

This update is all I've had time for tonight, but I think that covers the most important issues

Please test with this build of LunaLua (same as my last post) LunaLUA_0.7.1.1minusRedRL-beta_update.zip
Download here: MaGLX2Relay-58J.zip

Changes:
- Fix Crocomire's friendly status for purposes of invincibility until it's supposed to die (For some reason, it being friendly initially had gotten removed by someone at some point. I've fixed that.)
- Fix the music restart upon Crocomire death (removed the event and re-added it, and that fixed it, but don't know why it had the problem in the first place, as the event didn't contain any music related settings for the section...)
- When entering Kapus' section, add some Lua to reset the red switch blocks to passable status, just in case they had gotten toggled earlier in the level
- In kuposan3/Shagg's area, add some Lua to work around the problem of turn-blocks re-appearing after they stop spinning (Fun SMBX Fact: Turn-blocks use the same visibility flag that layer hiding does, to hide the block itself while the animation runs. This means that when the animation finishes... it unhides the block even if the layer it's on is hidden~)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Did a quick test, confirmed all of the above changes are working.

A bit of Aqualakitu's screen can be skipped if you manage to make it there with the yellow blocks activated, but that's rewarding players good enough to make it there on one life, so it's fine.

We're at the deadline, so fixes that would be really important:
-Fix the fact that the time stop music still plays when you get to Section 7 even though the actual effect has been stopped.
-Fix Batafire's death effect in Section 8.
-The lag, but this probably can't be figured out in time.
-Either put the fifth Dragon Coin on the upper exit from SharkNurse's screen or ask Horikawa to include one on the final screen. I'll let you make the call on which.

Other things that would be nice and probably quick which I will leave up to you whether to do:
-Price is Right fail horns on Maiku's screen.
-Regenerating mushroom on danddjosh's screen so missing the jump isn't quite as ridiculous.
-On section 7, maybe just move the midpoint to after the first part of Kapus' screen because that's a time-consuming part but it's also not very hard. Would cut down on my annoyances in dying in that section.

Unless we get an extension, I guess those are my final thoughts on this.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Ping
Pseudo-final-ish version:
MaGLX2Relay-58L.zip

Dragon Fogel wrote:-Regenerating mushroom on danddjosh's screen so missing the jump isn't quite as ridiculous.
-On section 7, maybe just move the midpoint to after the first part of Kapus' screen because that's a time-consuming part but it's also not very hard. Would cut down on my annoyances in dying in that section.
Done and Done.
Dragon Fogel wrote:-Fix the fact that the time stop music still plays when you get to Section 7 even though the actual effect has been stopped.
The proper way to do this would involve knowledge of memory addresses that haven't yet been found, and I don't have time to search for currently.
Dragon Fogel wrote:-Fix Batafire's death effect in Section 8.
Unsuccessful finding the cause
Dragon Fogel wrote:-The lag, but this probably can't be figured out in time.
Unfortunately no luck figuring it out at this point
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Minor unimportant thing, there's a red switch and red outline block on SharkNurse's screen. (Last screen of Section 6.) I assume you added it when testing the fix for Kapus' screen. It doesn't make a big difference either way, but might confuse people playing through.

And I guess Horikawa's doing something for the last Dragon Coin.

Shame those three issues couldn't be fixed, but oh well. The death effect might be fixable, if a bit awkwardly, by just using Lua to display a full graphic over it? I don't know enough to know how feasible that is.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Dragon Fogel wrote:Minor unimportant thing, there's a red switch and red outline block on SharkNurse's screen. (Last screen of Section 6.) I assume you added it when testing the fix for Kapus' screen. It doesn't make a big difference either way, but might confuse people playing through.
Doh... that was a testing thing I forgot to remove yeah.
MaGLX2Relay-58M.zip <- Fixed here
Zatsupachi
Queen of Flaming Mechanical Bees

Post by Zatsupachi »

ohman this thing's gonna be done?
What monstrosity has this community produced for our beloved internet celebrity?
The [Death] of Jokes.
Youtube: dracmeister
Moddb: precision_bomber

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

it's time :monstrosity:
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)