(shouting)

MaGL X2 Relay Level (What is a level? A miserable little pile of...)

would you like to participate in some fun contests? would you like to create some fun contests? well ^_^

What shall this glorious abomination be called?

Poll ended at 8 years ago

Life, the universe, and everything
7%
You only have yourself to blame
44%
The Way of the Torch
3%
The MAGLX Olympiad
8%
59 Screens
13%
The Relay Level
2%
A Really Long Level
5%
That which dwells outside the haus
2%
Terrestrial Schizophrenia
10%
Baby Got Serac
4%

Total votes: 97

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Managed Chaos Edition)

Post by TaviTurnip »

Dog, your section is amazing. It's funny, I feel like mine would have been better after yours now that this has happened, but that's fine xD

The custom jumping Toad could have been... well, small Mario <3

Also

maybe it's just my ability to breeze through the sections, but I wish the death wall was closer to the player by the time it gets disabled, for added effect.

I actually feel like it's pretty inconsequential and completely out-of-mind about two seconds after it starts.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - ZebrasEscapingZebraspace Edition)

Post by Validon98 »

If there be room (because 60ish people signed up within three days, wow), I'd like to throw a screen in depending on whether Horikawa's screen is meant to be the last or no. ^^;
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - ZebrasEscapingZebraspace Edition)

Post by Isrieri »

I want to remind us that SMBX has a limit to the number of placable blocks.

We probably won't ever hit it because its screen-by-screen, but signups can't last indefinitely. Personally I think 60 is a good number to cap it on, but 70 or 75 works too.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Isrieri wrote:I want to remind us that SMBX has a limit to the number of placable blocks.

We probably won't ever hit it because its screen-by-screen, but signups can't last indefinitely. Personally I think 60 is a good number to cap it on, but 70 or 80 works too. Else, this won't ever get done.
A lot of blocks can be replaced later with sizable ones, if there are issues with that. Also a single room can't even hold that many blocks. I'd say we are more likely to run out of events first, even though not everyone uses them.
Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Post by Isrieri »

I didn't even know there was a cap on events! :0
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Isrieri wrote:I didn't even know there was a cap on events! :0
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/wiki/Events
It's only 99, which is way less than I remembered.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Willhart wrote:
Isrieri wrote:I didn't even know there was a cap on events! :0
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/wiki/Events
It's only 99, which is way less than I remembered.
If we run up against that, one option is migrating things done in events into Lua code

Also, there's a possibility I may be able to make update to LunaDLL to increase the event limit. After all, I did increase the warp limit from 200 to 2000.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Considering that most people are more familiar with events than trying to do stuff with lunalua, it would be best if we could find out how to increase the event limit. Otherwise we are going to have a LOT of events that need to be translated into lua...
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

People could also reuse events and layers made for previous sections whenever possible. One event can be used to trigger multiple things, and it would hopefully reduce the amount of infinite loops.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

FrozenQuills wrote:Considering that most people are more familiar with events than trying to do stuff with lunalua, it would be best if we could find out how to increase the event limit. Otherwise we are going to have a LOT of events that need to be translated into lua...
Well, increasing an array limit in the smbx code is quite a bit of work. I could provably translate >50 events into Lua by hand faster than it takes to increase a smbx array limit.
On the other hand increasing a limit has benefits beyond just this relay level project.

In any case, I'll probably only start worrying about getting on that once we're past 50 events and looks like we'll run out. Plenty of other things to do in the meantime. Limits can be worked around or bypassed in many ways and I'm not too worried. Except that pesky limit of time of course so I hope the good pace we have going here keeps up ;)
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Guess who just got home from work and found all this. Hoo boy.

Starting right now!

Edit: I'm about an hour in and I have some questions.
1. Did you know you can grab the dead Mario sprite with decent timing?
waluigi teim grab.jpg
waluigi teim grab.jpg (203.38 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
2. Um... what do I do to make this look correct?
do what now mario.jpg
do what now mario.jpg (409.32 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
and 3.
Rednaxela wrote:Here's a slightly cleaned up version of the lunadll.lua file to go along with that if you don't mind. Please include this version hardcore_crispy.
I... don't understand how to do that. :( I'll be glad to if you can tell me how, though!
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

hardcore_crispy wrote:Guess who just got home from work and found all this. Hoo boy.

Starting right now!

waluigi teim grab.jpg
do what now mario.jpg
and 3.
Rednaxela wrote:Here's a slightly cleaned up version of the lunadll.lua file to go along with that if you don't mind. Please include this version hardcore_crispy.
I... don't understand how to do that. :( I'll be glad to if you can tell me how, though!
3. Place it to the level folder, inside the lunadll.lua file.
2. I don't think you really have to worry about the previous screens unless they are unbeatable or something.
Edit:

I have not played this yet, but it looks like you either talk to the npc or jump over the wall.

1. Someone will fix this, I can do it too. It's grabside=0 code on the npc file should work.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

hardcore_crispy wrote:Guess who just got home from work and found all this. Hoo boy.

Starting right now!

waluigi teim grab.jpg
do what now mario.jpg
and 3.
Here ya go:
1. Yes I did know, and it's silly x3

2. My idea would be that you have your current layer hidden at the start of the level and have it reappear in my event "DidgsWAHWEEGEE", maybe have a layer of your own that uses the purple striped tiles that dissapears during that event too. (or just black background/whatever)

3. you can right click on that link and hit "save as" or "save link-as" then go to the level folder and save it as "Lunadll.lua" making sure to select all files.
Willhart wrote: 1. Someone will fix this, I can do it too. It's grabside=0 code on the npc file should work.
is it bad that it can be grabbed?
:pal: Image :pal:

Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Dog In Da Grass wrote:
Willhart wrote: 1. Someone will fix this, I can do it too. It's grabside=0 code on the npc file should work.
Of course not, if it is intended or funny and does not break anything.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Willhart wrote:
Dog In Da Grass wrote:
Of course not, if it is intended or funny and does not break anything.
I noticed this too, I consider it hilarious and very easy to do by accident and it actually gives me a neat idea for a prize in a future level I'll make.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Minnakht
Green eyed monster

Post by Minnakht »

Oh, gods.

Put me on that list, why not. Maybe people will drop out and I'll get to do anything, maybe I'll be cut off by engine limits. Either works. I do want to be at the rear end of the list so that I might be notified of this way after I'll have forgotten about it.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Validon98 wrote:If there be room (because 60ish people signed up within three days, wow), I'd like to throw a screen in depending on whether Horikawa's screen is meant to be the last or no. ^^;
Horikawa is dead last but you can go between us if you'd like
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
CrispyMWHC

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Willhart wrote:
Dog In Da Grass wrote:
Thanks, all. It's working, and I got the lua inserted, however...
New problem.
why no hide.jpg
why no hide.jpg (417.35 KiB) Viewed 4125 times
For some reason, my layer isn't playing well with others. These random parts don't hide behind the bonus layer and I don't really know why. The bonus layer disappears properly and everything is there when they do...?

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

hardcore_crispy wrote:
Willhart wrote:
Dog In Da Grass wrote:
Thanks, all. It's working, and I got the lua inserted, however...
New problem.
why no hide.jpg
For some reason, my layer isn't playing well with others. These random parts don't hide behind the bonus layer and I don't really know why. The bonus layer disappears properly and everything is there when they do...?
my guess is that either 1: They're both on the same layer. or 2: They are both visible at the same time. the second one can be fixed by having the non-bonus layer hidden and have it appear when the bonus layer dissapears
:pal: Image :pal:

CrispyMWHC

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Escher Edition)

Post by CrispyMWHC »

I'll have to get back at it tomorrow after work. Sorry for the hold up, y'all. Bump me down the list if need be. :oops:

nvm workaround found. should be done soon.

And done!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o8wb2b6113ia ... EG0wa?dl=0
Willhart wrote:.
Looks like you're up! Thanks again for the help, guys.

THE PROCEDURES
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

hardcore_crispy wrote:And done!
Nifty stuff :)
Willhart wrote:.
Based on the discussion I had with Dog In Da Grass earlier in the thread, mind if I ask you to remove the mushroom in the first screen, and in the Lua replace

Code: Select all

Rednaxela.Powerups = {183, 277, 34, 169, 170}
with

Code: Select all

Rednaxela.Powerups = {9, 183, 277, 34, 169, 170}
and replace 6 with 7 in the two "self.PwrIdx =" lines?

EDIT: As I see your last active time implies you've not started, here's a zip with that already done
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

hardcore_crispy wrote:And done!
I like this a lot :D omgosh I love this whole project too much.

Suggestion for/about Dog's part:

Might we consider filling the empty space where hardcore_crispy's area appears, with a wall that matches the level's texture? Like you enter Dog's part and since the screen scrolls you see all this empty space and it looks kinda dumb that way, could we fill that up with more wall that also disappears once Waluigi time starts? I know that's technically editing into someone else's space but it literally has no consequence on gameplay and serves to look a lot less silly. I'm just not a fan of the empty space but maybe I'm the only one who feels put off by it, it doesn't like ruin it for me or anything.

Willhart
Banned

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Escher Edition - 11% done)

Post by Willhart »

Screen done. We could probably use new section soon.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxij3Y ... sp=sharing
FrozenQuills

Next please.
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Escher Edition - 13% done)

Post by FrozenQuills »

The relay level has made it's long and arduous journey from Finland to CA. Got it.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
S1eth

Re: MaGL X2 Relay Level (Postgame Colab Level - Escher Edition - 13% done)

Post by S1eth »

Just noticed that the latest zip file no longer has the cleaned up lua code that Rednaxela posted earlier. (DogInDaGrass_LastCharacter is missing as well)

BTW, should we package each contributor's code into their own class? Rednaxela's code looks pretty clean.

DogInDaGrass_onEvent(eventName) -----> DogInDaGrass:onEvent(eventName)