(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

ano0maly
Discord User

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by ano0maly »

If you package your level into a folder then everything should transfer fine.

The question is if you set the event to trigger a default music, the override will work there.
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

GlitchedGhost wrote:
Garlyle wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:I have a question.

I'm using a custom track in my level (a couple, actually) and during a cutscene I want to change it to another custom track. Is that possible, or is it one custom track per section?
With the vanilla editor, you can only do a single custom track per section.

With Luna there's a way to. I don't into Luna so I can't help you there.
I'm not a Luna person either, so that's not gonna happen.

Try an event and teleport the player to a new section?
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

ano0maly wrote:If you package your level into a folder then everything should transfer fine.

The question is if you set the event to trigger a default music, the override will work there.
So how do I go about overriding the in-game music with a custom track so I can try that?

memnarch wrote:Try an event and teleport the player to a new section?
That's a possibility, but I was hoping to change the track at least twice, maaaabye three times (dunno yet), so that would be a pain. Might be something to keep in mind, though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'll try shit out tomorrow, after I get some sleep.
Last edited by GlitchedGhost 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

ano0maly wrote:The question is if you set the event to trigger a default music, the override will work there.
Just did a test. I set the music in a test level to smb3-boss, and copied the SMB64 music from the default folder to a folder for that level.

It played the SMB3 music when I did. Seems that music can't be overwritten like that. You'll have to either fake it by placing the cutscene in a separate section, or learn enough about Luna to do this one thing.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
GlitchedGhost

Post by GlitchedGhost »

Dragon Fogel wrote:
ano0maly wrote:The question is if you set the event to trigger a default music, the override will work there.
Just did a test. I set the music in a test level to smb3-boss, and copied the SMB64 music from the default folder to a folder for that level.

It played the SMB3 music when I did. Seems that music can't be overwritten like that. You'll have to either fake it by placing the cutscene in a separate section, or learn enough about Luna to do this one thing.
Well, that sucks. Thanks for giving it a shot.
I'll have to see what I can do tomorrow then.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

GlitchedGhost wrote:...
memnarch wrote:Try an event and teleport the player to a new section?
That's a possibility, but I was hoping to change the track at least twice, maaaabye three times (dunno yet), so that would be a pain. Might be something to keep in mind, though.

Thanks for the suggestions so far! I'll try shit out tomorrow, after I get some sleep.
If you're using the new editor (wohl's), you could pretty easily copypaste if it's maintaining the same design that's the issue. Otherwise, yeah, setting up a lot of instant teleports could be tedious after a bit.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
CapedLuigisYoshi
some sort of fangirl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by CapedLuigisYoshi »

...Man, I haven't even started yet. Only picked the name so far. I was putting it off a bit the first couple weeks, and then suddenly school stuff got really heavy. Oof. This isn't gonna end well.

At least I know what name I'm going with?
*shrug*

will fix/replace the image down here eventually
Rumis
Rumielle

Post by Rumis »

Nuts, I just kind of assumed I understood midpoints. How do I put a spawnpoint for the midpoint? The level is finished and I'm wrapping it up now. I already had this midpoint in mind. I can't really turn in the level without the midpoint because dying would be too punishing.

Could anyone help me out? This is the third freaking question I asked on here. I feel like such a bother.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Rumis wrote:Nuts, I just kind of assumed I understood midpoints. How do I put a spawnpoint for the midpoint? The level is finished and I'm wrapping it up now. I already had this midpoint in mind. I can't really turn in the level without the midpoint because dying would be too punishing.

Could anyone help me out? This is the third freaking question I asked on here. I feel like such a bother.
Using default SMBX, you can't separate the midpoint from the spawn point, you just spawn wherever the midpoint is.

However, there's a library in LunaLua called "multipoints" that can allow you to do this, though it takes a bit of setting up (I'm hoping to improve that soon).
Rumis
Rumielle

Post by Rumis »

Hoeloe wrote:
Rumis wrote:Nuts, I just kind of assumed I understood midpoints. How do I put a spawnpoint for the midpoint? The level is finished and I'm wrapping it up now. I already had this midpoint in mind. I can't really turn in the level without the midpoint because dying would be too punishing.

Using default SMBX, you can't separate the midpoint from the spawn point, you just spawn wherever the midpoint is.

However, there's a library in LunaLua called "multipoints" that can allow you to do this, though it takes a bit of setting up (I'm hoping to improve that soon).
Thanks again Hoeley.

I can't test the midpoint respawn because dying in SMBX level editor just resets the whole thing. I'll just have to take your word for it. That's fine though.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Rumis wrote: I can't test the midpoint respawn because dying in SMBX level editor just resets the whole thing. I'll just have to take your word for it. That's fine though.
That... shouldn't happen. Usually dying in the editor after collecting the midpoint will put you back at the midpoint.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Rednaxela wrote:
Dr. Freeman wrote:
I've got LUNALUA 0.5.3.1 BETA too, but I don't assume that's the problem.

My directory tree is:
SMBx folder >
Version I'm primarily using >
worlds >
A2MBXT Levels >
Name of contest level's folder >
[Everything inside this folder. all custom graphics, music, lunadll.txt, and the LVL file itself]

But Rena, why would you have the LVL file inside the folder? Don't you know that it goes outside it?

APPARENTLY I DON'T BECAUSE THAT WAS THE PROBLEM THE WHOLE TIME. My folder and level name did not match one another, but everything inside the folder (music, graphics) still imported correctly. Lunadll.txt was the only thing that didn't latch on. I just moved it and adjusted accordingly and everything is shiny happy now.

Dr. Freeman, please try this in case you set it up the same way I did. If you used custom music, you'll have to write the folder path into the custom music slot in the editor, so instead of songname.mp3, it'll be levelfoldername/songname.mp3.

I sure hope this helps you <_> And I am sure glad that this was figured out. Like we assumed the whole time, it was a case of missing a super ultra simple step along the lines of "did you plug the computer in" (which, as expected, nobody else could answer because it seemed too obvious to suggest)
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

RenaTurnip wrote: I sure hope this helps you <_> And I am sure glad that this was figured out. Like we assumed the whole time, it was a case of missing a super ultra simple step along the lines of "did you plug the computer in" (which, as expected, nobody else could answer because it seemed too obvious to suggest)
I did think that might have been the issue, but didn't mention it because I also thought lunadll would cope with it. Apparently not. Might be worth patching that in future versions.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Hoeloe wrote: I did think that might have been the issue, but didn't mention it because I also thought lunadll would cope with it. Apparently not. Might be worth patching that in future versions.
Yeah, it's helpful info to have even if it affects very little.

Thanks for the help and putting up with me, though. Same to everyone who gave me advice and pointed out where I missed NPC sprites and things.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Dr. Freeman

Post by Dr. Freeman »

This is getting silly.
That was the prime mistake, and I am the wily fool and I fixed it and the DebugPrint did appear meaning Lunadll did register. But no matter what I do, the SetHits absolutely refuses to work. I changed it so the layer isn't even hidden anymore and the boss has the default ten health no matter what I do. My only last guess is that the boss starts offscreen nonetheless, which somehow effects the frames needed to register the code, but that doesn't seem to be right.

SetHits,209,3,7,0,2,0

Current code. 209 for MB, it's in the 3rd section of the level, the health is just for testing, and the rest is the usual. Yet the boss always has ten health.
This is getting a tad stressful due to time.
Harder Than Steel
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

Any specific rules on crediting other people for graphics/music?
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Oddwrath wrote:Any specific rules on crediting other people for graphics/music?
I just stuck any credits I had in a .txt file, but I don't know if there are specific rules...
Isocitration

Post by Isocitration »

Is there any way to allow Yoshi to carry an npc in his mouth, while disallowing the player to carry said npc? The two properties are both affected by the "grabside" npc code and I haven't been able to come up with any successful workarounds.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Isocitration wrote:Is there any way to allow Yoshi to carry an npc in his mouth, while disallowing the player to carry said npc? The two properties are both affected by the "grabside" npc code and I haven't been able to come up with any successful workarounds.
Hm, you could use Luna trickery to force the player to drop the NPC if carrying it, and reset the "was grabbed/thrown" flag in the process.

Can't test that solution at the moment but could tonight if nobody does in the meantime.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

More accurately, if you die at the midpoint and then test again, you'll start at the midpoint. Sometimes I've had this break if I change a bunch of stuff in between attempts, but that's it.

Edit: Whoops, missed a whole page, I was responding to this:
Hoeloe wrote:
Rumis wrote: I can't test the midpoint respawn because dying in SMBX level editor just resets the whole thing. I'll just have to take your word for it. That's fine though.
That... shouldn't happen. Usually dying in the editor after collecting the midpoint will put you back at the midpoint.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Lukaz2009
Hunting monsters while ignoring my mayoral duties.
First name: Lucas
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lukaz2009 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
Oddwrath wrote:Any specific rules on crediting other people for graphics/music?
I just stuck any credits I had in a .txt file, but I don't know if there are specific rules...
No rules. Credit them or don't. I recommend if you want to, put a credits.txt file in the level folder.
Well, then I may have done goofed on that one. I put a sign post at the end of my level for the credit for the music in my level.
Don't open the spoiler, or the Picklesaurus Rex will eat everyone!
You had to open it didn't you... Now the entire Talkhaus is doomed.
Lukaz2009 wrote:Monster Hunter: Where the Desire Sensor will bend you over, make you it's bitch, AND dash all of your hopes and dreams. All at the same time!
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Lukaz2009 wrote: Well, then I may have done goofed on that one. I put a sign post at the end of my level for the credit for the music in my level.
I don't think that'll be an issue, because all over ASMBXT, A2XT, and MaGL X you can see examples of levels crediting in-level. As long as it's an optional thing and not a mandatory auto-wall-of-text, I doubt any points will be lost.
Last edited by FusionWarrior 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Lukaz2009
Hunting monsters while ignoring my mayoral duties.
First name: Lucas

Post by Lukaz2009 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Lukaz2009 wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:No rules. Credit them or don't. I recommend if you want to, put a credits.txt file in the level folder.
Well, then I may have done goofed on that one. I put a sign post at the end of my level for the credit for the music in my level.
That's fine too. I mean, I'm not going to take points off for crediting unless you do it in a super obnoxious way or something.
That's good to know. It is literally just a sign post at the end that you can just run past.
Don't open the spoiler, or the Picklesaurus Rex will eat everyone!
You had to open it didn't you... Now the entire Talkhaus is doomed.
Lukaz2009 wrote:Monster Hunter: Where the Desire Sensor will bend you over, make you it's bitch, AND dash all of your hopes and dreams. All at the same time!
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Horikawa Otane wrote: That's fine too. I mean, I'm not going to take points off for crediting unless you do it in a super obnoxious way or something.
You mean don't approve of me setting an event loop to display the level credits every 15 seconds?! :(
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Ignoritus wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote: That's fine too. I mean, I'm not going to take points off for crediting unless you do it in a super obnoxious way or something.
You mean don't approve of me setting an event loop to display the level credits every 15 seconds?! :(
For some reason this is making me think of he notion of emulating a translucent watermark by flickering text on and off each frame, where the flickering text naturally says "This is a demo" followed by "Copyright Bandicam".