(shouting)

Smbx Community Contest 9 RESULTS (WINNER!!!!!)

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Re: Smbx Community Contest 9 RESULTS (and DPYLAIY)

Post by Doctor Shemp »

sedron wrote:I can't imagine anyone who uses that phrase as anything other than an edgy 11-year old.
Seriously though, aren't most of the SMBX community not that much older than that, or is it just a notable portion?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I think that the pictures used on the last darkmatt thread really helped to give the point across, that it was kind of like avgn style commentary. The big "+" was that it showed some screenshots of the contest levels too. It's not to be taken seriously as was said in the first post, and he will praise the levels he thinks are worth it.

I'm slightly worried, that one of the judges will complain about my design choises. We shall see.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

AVGN's not just "this game is fucking horrible", it's "this game is fucking horrible because". At this point it's more like the Irate Gamer or something.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Doctor Shemp wrote:AVGN's not just "this game is fucking horrible", it's "this game is fucking horrible because". At this point it's more like the Irate Gamer or something.
It might be that he is not giving much effort for the lowest tier levels. If it stays that way, I'll probably just look at the screenshots and animated gifs.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Wait, so Darkmatt is from the SMBX community? I've seen him trying to give criticism to a whole bunch of random SMW levels on YouTube but his "reviews" always come off as downright terrible and more obnoxious than useful. One of my personal favorites (while reviewing a level that uses darker/creepier aesthetics:
Swamp, spook, cave, grey, swamp, hostel. How fucking grimdark and edgy are these fucking kids? Holy shit.
He actually thinks he's some kind of martyr too, so that makes it even more hilarious. I'll have to read his contest posts more in-depth at some point.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Oddwrath »

S.N.N. wrote:Wait, so Darkmatt is from the SMBX community? I've seen him trying to give criticism to a whole bunch of random SMW levels on YouTube but his "reviews" always come off as downright terrible and more obnoxious than useful. One of my personal favorites (while reviewing a level that uses darker/creepier aesthetics:
Swamp, spook, cave, grey, swamp, hostel. How fucking grimdark and edgy are these fucking kids? Holy shit.
He actually thinks he's some kind of martyr too, so that makes it even more hilarious. I'll have to read his contest posts more in-depth at some point.
No, I'm pretty sure he isn't. He was on SMWCentral before SMBX. Although, I'm only basing this off his youtube smw hack video he posted years ago, so Idk.
The funny thing about Darkmatt is that he reminds me so much of another member of the early smbx community: Kyasarin. Both have this weird philosophy of "being a dick==maturity"(a philosophy that, unfortunately, the rest of smbx community have adopted long time ago), both have unwarranted sense of self-importance and both have this idea, that if they act like a douche towards everybody, then everyone will like them.
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Darkonius64 »

Tier 4 is out!
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Oddwrath wrote:No, I'm pretty sure he isn't. He was on SMWCentral before SMBX. Although, I'm only basing this off his youtube smw hack video he posted years ago, so Idk.
I don't ever remember him being a member on there. Just checked again too, and I couldn't find any record of him on the site, I know he was heavily involved with "critiquing" (i.e. shitting on) levels on YouTube, but beyond that, I don't think he's done too much else with SMW.

Can't say much about Kyasarin, never had to deal with them.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

this is kind of off-topic, but I know the smbx forum have these seasonal contests, but did they ever do a downright community game like talking time bros or something ?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

97 percent sure the answer is no
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

raocow wrote:this is kind of off-topic, but I know the smbx forum have these seasonal contests, but did they ever do a downright community game like talking time bros or something ?
As far as I can tell the only activities they come together to do are contests and creating alternate smbx community forums with the sole purpose of slagging off the other ones.
Darkonius64
Dreams of a forgotten reality

Post by Darkonius64 »

raocow wrote:this is kind of off-topic, but I know the smbx forum have these seasonal contests, but did they ever do a downright community game like talking time bros or something ?

we made 2 community episodes, wich one of the 2 has failed, there's another collab in the works but it's on hiatus.

also Doctor shemp that was rude.
:bi_pride:
My latest SMBX episode
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p473070

My media links:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Darkonius64

Support my indie game Dormiveglia!
https://dormivegliagame.com/
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

I can't say I really had to deal with the SMBX community so far, but judging from reading through some topics and looking at miscellaneous things(like the way too huge signatures filled with... pictures, to say it midly) I come to the conclusion that most of the members are quite immature.

Yet I don't think it's right to judge them like this. Every community got it's little problems, even ours, so give 'em some space.
There may be some immature members who put the community in a bad light so to speak, but don't forget there are plenty of users there who are acting normal, like you and me do.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
ViolaCourtes

Post by ViolaCourtes »

Doctor Shemp wrote:
sedron wrote:I can't imagine anyone who uses that phrase as anything other than an edgy 11-year old.
Seriously though, aren't most of the SMBX community not that much older than that, or is it just a notable portion?
Okay so Joey also is some 11 year old then who made some smbx forum and got some affilation with some other forum.
Signature
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Getting the results for the next two tiers at the same time was kinda surprising.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

FluffiMasta wrote:I can't say I really had to deal with the SMBX community so far, but judging from reading through some topics and looking at miscellaneous things(like the way too huge signatures filled with... pictures, to say it midly) I come to the conclusion that most of the members are quite immature.

Yet I don't think it's right to judge them like this. Every community got it's little problems, even ours, so give 'em some space.
There may be some immature members who put the community in a bad light so to speak, but don't forget there are plenty of users there who are acting normal, like you and me do.
no there arent
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Leet wrote:
FluffiMasta wrote:I can't say I really had to deal with the SMBX community so far, but judging from reading through some topics and looking at miscellaneous things(like the way too huge signatures filled with... pictures, to say it midly) I come to the conclusion that most of the members are quite immature.

no there arent
*sigh*

See, this is what I mean.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
sedron
im proud of you kid

Post by sedron »

I think Fluffi's got the right idea, here.

Viola, I don't know if you are referring to my post at all with your comment, but I'm not talking about the community as a whole. Not that I necessarily agree or disagree with Shemp's view on the whole deal (I don't care to pass judgment on a large group, even if I do have those judgments for certain members,) but I don't think you can defend the SMBX Judge I spoke of for his words. At least, there's no way you're convincing me that was a mature and adult way of going about things. Calling out someone on a single action is, I think, totally permissible. I do not believe that a single member of the community should act as a representative of the entire whole, though, and while I'm totally aware that one judge is not alone in what I see as immaturity on those forums, I'm not going to generalize it for the entirety of them.

All of that said, I can absolutely understand why Shemp/Leet hold their views, though I don't think the smack-talk is terribly productive or necessary. Bad apples do tend to color a person's perceptions.

I kind of wrote a lot more than I originally intended (and a bit more opinionated, at that,) but my main point is we should probably not make this into a conflict.
Sorel
In the shadows

Smbx Community Contest 9 RESULTS (and DPYLAIY)

Post by Sorel »

Thank you for writing down what I wanted to say here, only 10 times more polite and better.
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

S.N.N. wrote: I don't ever remember him being a member on there. Just checked again too, and I couldn't find any record of him on the site, I know he was heavily involved with "critiquing" (i.e. shitting on) levels on YouTube, but beyond that, I don't think he's done too much else with SMW.
Ah, that makes sense. Although, I'm not sure why he didn't join the SMWCentral if he had such an interest in SMW hacks.
S.N.N. wrote: Can't say much about Kyasarin, never had to deal with them.
Kyasarin, as far as I know, is from smbx community.
Just looking through the official smbx forums archives, no. In fact, judging from the projects page, most people there just wanted to do their own projects and not get into any collabs. There is Knux's Adventure, though, but that doesn't count, I think.

On one hand you're right. The community has some dumb quirks, but every fanbase has them. Besides, smbxers were around since 2009. That's enough time to learn some maturity.

On the other hand, that IS enough time. And they STILL barely have learned a thing. Certainly not, considering they still have Darkmatt(aka, someone who loathes everyone on that site and doesn't care much about the game itself either) as a mod.

In fact, as somebody who has been lurking since 2010, let me share a revelation I had: The SMBX community was never good. It started in 2009 and while I weren't there, I did get the impression that it was essentially full of whiny babies back then. Then Kyasarin and Luminous came and everything went to shit. Remember my post about what your average smbxer constitutes as maturity? Those two are to blame. What's made it worse is that Redigit was indulging them and later made them both mods. And then Darkmatt came, shown same kind of behavior and was also made into a mod. And then the official forums died, because Redigit went to make Terraria and said that he was tired of the community himself.

Afterwards, Knux took over. Kyasarin and Luminous hang around for a while, but later went off somewhere. Darkmatt stayed the longest, but of course, just like with the Super Mario War, when the game stopped updating, people lost interest and went off somewhere too. Not that the community was any better. Because of the influence of those three, the official forums refugees got some dumb ideas about level design standards and how to deal with people who disagree/do not follow these standards. And thus, Knux's forums became Darkmatt-lite. At least for a while. They mellowed out a little bit later, but not enough. Also, concerning level design standards, if you were on Knux's forums back in 2011, you would have learned to hate the word "clash". Level reviewers there overused it to the point of being just as annoying to hear as "pretentious".

At the middle of 2012, I lost interest and stopped lurking, so if anything happened from that point in time to 2013, I don't know about it. I never went to their ircs either, so again idk. But yeah, I'm not a big fan of that community. In fact, the whole "Kyasarin/Luminous/Darkmatt arrives" era, was essentially turning Butters into Cartman and then calling it an improvement. And to my eternal surprise, everyone did!
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Sorel
In the shadows

Smbx Community Contest 9 RESULTS (and DPYLAIY)

Post by Sorel »

Well the only ones I really dealt with are Darkonius, bossedit and Valtteri back when his forum was a bit more populated. They were all pretty nice fellas, but apart from that, I only know that Knux is just a major troll. That's all.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

It's kind of a bummer that this is your experience as those who come over to the talkhaus from time to time seem to be pretty nice!

I just wish the two communities here could play along nicer without the gratuitious potshots, yo.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

There was "Return to Yoshi's Island" way back in 2010 and 1.2 of the game. It was/is like 98 percent complete, and it was going to be a pack-in with 1.3... Until Redigit noted that most of the levels were bad and axed it (he actually told me that quality was the reason). I don't think it's bad, but it's nothing special to watch on an LP. The only things that make it anything other than "SMB3 except with SMBX's menagerie of enemies" are:
1. World 3 is a cave and World 6 is a lava cave (bizarrely, World 8 is still the same Bad un-Bright Boiling Bowser Land you all have seen)
2. There's 3 count them 3 Yoshi's Island styled levels. This was before NPC codes mind, and everything is full of 1x1 pixels. The shy guys have eyes like Ogmo from Jumper
3. You collect 25 stars (of both types) across the game to get to the special world
4. There's actually another special world that is not locked with stars that's easier. It's actually quite like SMW in these respects, the hard star world even has a "return to start of game" warp
5. Most of the bosses other than the miniboss BoomBoom/Birdo fodder are:
A. MIA (just a ? Orb for free)
B. Just a normal Boom Boom like the minibosses from earlier
Mind, this was before Larry and Ludwig existed, so Boom Boom was the stompable boss and that was it.

Yes, the basically-complete game is uploaded to the Internet. It's possible to play it all the way to the final secret castle and past.
In all, it's a game you want to play in your free time, and it's way better across-the-board than Great Empire, but it's not like asmbxt/2 where each level is all "look at me! What an experience!" where they know they're gonna end up in an LP.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

TiKi wrote:but it's not like asmbxt/2 where each level is all "look at me! What an experience!" where they know they're gonna end up in an LP.
I'm not meaning to throw shit at the smbx community here, but shouldn't every level in every game try to be memorable? I know I didn't try and make my A2XT levels memorable (possible emphasis on try) because they were going to be LPd but because if you're just going to make a boring and forgettable level then why even bother making one in the first place?

For example, I've been comparing NSMBU to DKC:R Tropical Freeze, and it's basically this distinction too. In NSMBU, I can only remember two specific levels: the one where things looked like a watercolour painting, and the one with all the giant enemies. I can remember the themes of the worlds, like you can for Return to Yoshi's Island, but not any of the levels. They're all dull and samey. In Tropical Freeze, every level that I've come to so far (I'm playing it very slowly) has had something unique going for it. There's a level where you climb giraffe necks, one where everything's catching fire slowly, one made of windmills, one in a sawmill with machinery going, one where the platforms are carried by hot-air balloons etc.

I reckon one judge of a good game is if you can discuss a specific level with someone else without either of you knowing the name of the level. If you can say "you know, the levels with X in it" and the other person knows immediately which level you're referring to, you're on to a winner.
Last edited by Doctor Shemp 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I didn't say being bland was a good thing! I just said that it's not much for an LP. I have to agree though; the best gimmicks in my eyes are the ones where you don't notice it's a gimmick until you talk about it and go "that was the level with the fire chomps and para beetles... oh that's what it did! No wonder I enjoyed it!"