(shouting)

Post-Game: Do We Want One (And What Would it Be?)

WestonSmith
Bunny

Post-Game: Do We Want One (And What Would it Be?)

Post by WestonSmith »

Well? Talk has sprung about about the likes of a World 9, a Challenge Mode, and Minus world. While there's no guarantee we'll include any of these things, there's no harm in talking about them. If all goes well and we have willing participants, I don't see why we couldn't add some sort of additional content.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Post-Game: Do We Want One (And What Would it Be?)

Post by Leet »

A well-hidden Minus World would be nice. I think it would be fun to make intentionally-"glitchy" levels.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

As for World 9, it could be a super special mega tera awesome world unlocked after beating the challenge mode.
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I'm in favour of re-creating the Hard Mode from the original. It'd be pretty easy to do as well and wouldn't take long.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

^ Were there any changes besides Goombas -> Buzzy Beetles in the original, though? To be honest I found that pretty lame and not really adding any replay value (if so).

I think a super-challenging World 9 might be a good idea (and/or it could somehow be themed around Lost Levels' worlds 9/A-D?)! So would a Minus World. But I wonder what could be at the end of a Minus World?
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

A game crash.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

I like it. 10/10
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

swirlybomb wrote:^ Were there any changes besides Goombas -> Buzzy Beetles in the original, though? To be honest I found that pretty lame and not really adding any replay value (if so).
All enemies walked slightly faster; all moving platforms were about 2/3 of their original size; and there were firebars in every castle and in more locations in each castle.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

I'm in favor of a World 9, maybe A-D, too.
As for a Minus World, I feel like that should be hidden somewhere rather than put in as a postgame thing. Also it should end with either an infinitely-looping level or deliberately crashing SMBX because one's an homage to the original and the other's a fitting end to a glitch world.
Doctor Shemp wrote:All enemies walked slightly faster; all moving platforms were about 2/3 of their original size; and there were firebars in every castle and in more locations in each castle.
It sounds like the only levels that are significantly changed by that are the castles.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

The post game must contain wind....wind everywhere. Nah wind can't really be replicated right?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:
Doctor Shemp wrote:All enemies walked slightly faster; all moving platforms were about 2/3 of their original size; and there were firebars in every castle and in more locations in each castle.
It sounds like the only levels that are significantly changed by that are the castles.
Try playing 6-3 in Hard Mode and see if you still think that. Making moving platforms 2/3 of their size doesn't sound like much but when there's a lot of them and they fall off or move around then it really adds up.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:I'm in favor of a World 9, maybe A-D, too.
As for a Minus World, I feel like that should be hidden somewhere rather than put in as a postgame thing. Also it should end with either an infinitely-looping level or deliberately crashing SMBX because one's an homage to the original and the other's a fitting end to a glitch world.
YES, yes and more yes
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
Kil

Post by Kil »

Pholtos wrote:The post game must contain wind....wind everywhere. Nah wind can't really be replicated right?
It's easy actually, but I think only 1 post world level could have it as a gimmick. It's too damn annoying otherwise.
DON'T PM me. Ask your question in the help thread so everyone can be answered.
Septentrion Pleiades
Banned
First name: Stephen

Post by Septentrion Pleiades »

A-D would require a disproportional amount of work and will stall development.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

You know if we did a postgame two people from 1-8 could combine for each level seeing as it's 4 worlds instead of 8 or something...
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Hard mode seems like the easiest thing to implement. We could easily handle it amongst a small number of peeps too.

If we did a World 9, we could keep it super simple. Maybe make it twice as long as a normal world, and include every level theme therein (Overworld, Underground, Treetops, Snowy Overworld, Underwater, Mushroom Tops, Night Overworld, Castle).

I like the idea of Minus World being a pointless, never ending loop. Seems very fitting. It would be an easter egg rather than post-game content.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Septentrion Pleiades wrote:A-D would require a disproportional amount of work and will stall development.
Maybe if we try to implement the "beat the game 8 times to unlock A-D" thing it would, but otherwise it's about as much work as any other bunch of levels. I mean I guess it making the post-game over half the length of the main game could be a reason not to do it, but there's not necessarily anything wrong with that.
Really the only reason I'm not immediately in favor of an A-D is that unless we do Pholtos' idea of having two people work on each level that's another 16 postgame-difficulty levels we need people to sign up for.
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

I think we should avoid A-D for those reasons. Save it for a much harder Superb Demo Sisters 2 (which by tradition will be much harder and will only be released on 2channel and not the talkhaus until 7 years after its release).
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer »

With this post-game, does it open up possibility for more levels per person. I kinda want to make a challenge zone level and a WTF zone level but only if I'm allowed by y'all and also my brain idea place zone.
raocow wrote:the plan is to wait for Jump to be released and then replacing the graphics without telling anyone involved with Jump.
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

aterraformer wrote:With this post-game, does it open up possibility for more levels per person. I kinda want to make a challenge zone level and a WTF zone level but only if I'm allowed by y'all and also my brain idea place zone.
Possibly. Depends on what we decide upon. If we do a World 9, then we'd have a few extra levesl to go around. As for right now, we still have main game levels to hand out.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

I didn't mean that we should actually make Worlds A through D, just that World 9 could be based on the ideas of the original A-D worlds. And such. (oh, it was actually Zyglrox that put that forward, nevermind?)
WestonSmith wrote:If we did a World 9, we could keep it super simple. Maybe make it twice as long as a normal world, and include every level theme therein (Overworld, Underground, Treetops, Snowy Overworld, Underwater, Mushroom Tops, Night Overworld, Castle).
I like this idea too.
Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

i think the reward for beating minus world should be a free warp to something, since crashing or putting the player in a loop seems kinda mean.
also, world 9 would be nice. if we can make it the same color palette as smb1's glitched world 9, that would be awesome.
spatula
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

WestonSmith wrote:If we did a World 9, we could keep it super simple. Maybe make it twice as long as a normal world, and include every level theme therein (Overworld, Underground, Treetops, Snowy Overworld, Underwater, Mushroom Tops, Night Overworld, Castle).
Yeah I like this idea. Lets more than four people work on postgame levels, doesn't make the postgame drag on endlessly, keeps a pleasant amount of variety. Also the numbers just work out perfectly for that idea. If we do any sort of postgame I'd want it to be this.
I don't really get it but okay
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Random musing.

HUB: Credits (Left Pipe) Main Game (Centre Pipe) World 9 (Right Pipe)

The World 9 Pipe could only be entered with one star. The sole star of the game would be found at the end of 8-4. Whether there would be any reward for finishing World 9 would be dependant on us thinking of an appropiate reward (8-bit mode would be awesome, but a TON of work, so perhaps something more reasonable).
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

Maybe Minus World could be a relay type thing, like in A2MBXT? Having each screen be made by different people would fit for a glitchy mess.
Just a random thought.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).